Schefter: Jets to release Eric Decker

flgreen

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now it's clear: Jets are tanking the season, looking ahead to 2018

play

Adam Schefter questions the Jets' motivation of releasing David Harris and planning to trade or release Eric Decker. (1:32)

7:25 PM ET
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Sometimes you wonder if the New York Jets will ever figure it out. What they did Tuesday, abruptly releasing the well-respected David Harris and pushing Eric Decker out the door, stinks on so many levels.

To me, this reeks of owner Woody Johnson trying to save money. By dumping Harris and Decker, who will be released or traded by the end of the week, Johnson will save $13.75 million in cash payroll. He probably figures they're going to be miserable anyway, so why not save some money in the process?

I hate to invoke the 'T' word -- tanking -- but this sure looks like a tank job. Harris and Decker are solid players that could've helped the Jets in 2017, but the team seems more concerned about 2018 than anything else.

Johnson has put coach Todd Bowles in an almost impossible situation. It's one thing to dump an aging player with a prohibitive contract (Darrelle Revis) or a young player with a bad attitude (Calvin Pryor), but to fire two proven veterans on June 6?

There's a fine line between rebuilding and tearing down for the sake of tearing down. This is the latter. They're also undercutting the coach's chances of succeeding. This is an ominous sign for Bowles, who has to feel helpless.

Let's examine what unfolded on Black Tuesday, starting with Harris.

It made no sense from a football perspective, and it was a lousy way to treat a loyal, classy player who rarely missed a day of work in 10 years and never -- repeat, never -- got into any trouble off the field.

Harris was one of Bowles' favorite players, and no one can convince me Bowles was in favor of this move. He tried his best to mask his true feelings, calling it "an organizational decision," but that was just Bowles being a company man. He was stung by the move, and it was written all over his face.

First of all, they don't even have an obvious replacement on the roster. Darron Lee and Demario Davis, re-acquired last week in a trade, aren't "Mike" linebackers. Bowles mentioned Davis, Bruce Carter and Julian Stanford as candidates to replace Harris. Give him credit for keeping a straight face when mentioning Stanford, a marginal player who may not even make the roster.

Harris' salary -- a non-guaranteed $6.5 million -- wasn't prohibitive. They easily could've kept him on the roster because, let's face it, it's not like they've been paying top dollar for talent this offseason. Why not just carry the $6.5 million?

"That's a good question," Bowles said before explaining that everyone in the organization was "on the same page" after multiple internal discussions.

Sorry, I'm not buying that.

The Jets made it about money by approaching Harris a few days ago about a pay cut. They should've done it in March; that would've given him more options. Because Harris was in the final year of his contract, there was no cap benefit to waiting. So why wait until early June?

"That's a good question," Bowles said.

Bowles doesn't have final say over personnel, so this tells me there could be a disconnect between him and management. Earlier in the day, I asked Bowles about the possibility of cutting Decker, too. He was non-committal. Asked about all the high-profile players that have been cut on his watch, he insisted, "It's not like they're going behind my back when they're making decisions." He said he's cool with everything.

Again, I'm skeptical. Do you think he's cool with Josh McCown throwing to Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson? Or Christian Hackenberg throwing to them? Oh, man.

If the coach stands on the table for a player, as I believe Bowles did with Harris, why not defer to the coach?

The NFL is a cold-blooded business, and there isn't much loyalty among players and owners, but there's a right way of doing things and a wrong way. The Jets opted for the latter with Harris, firing a future Ring-of-Honor member after the eighth OTA practice. Harris deserved better.

Has Harris declined? Sure, he's not a three-down player anymore, but he's still a solid run defender and was "the glue" to the defense, as Bowles liked to call him. It would've been a different story if they had signed a quality replacement -- they flirted with free agent Don'ta Hightower in March -- but no savior is walking through the door in the middle of June.

On paper, Harris didn't fit the youth movement, but you can't have a team filled with young players. You need some wise heads to lead the transition, and Harris would've been ideal because he has no ego. Unlike Marshall, who wanted no part of rebuilding, Harris preferred to stay.

So much for loyalty.

Get ready for a long and painful year.

What would be point now in Jets starting Josh McCown over Christian Hackenberg?

Christian Hackenberg is entering Year 2 with the Jets. (AP Photo | Seth Wenig)
Christian Hackenberg is entering Year 2 with the Jets. (AP Photo | Seth Wenig)

BY DARRYL SLATER 

dslater@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK -- Tuesday brought more roster destruction at One Jets Drive, as this organization fully embraces a get-young rebuilding process. 

The two latest veteran casualties of that process: middle linebacker David Harris and wide receiver Eric Decker, who follow cornerback Darrelle Revis, center Nick Mangold, and receiver Brandon Marshall out the door. 

It is clearer now than ever that the Jets will struggle mightily in 2017, as they turn their focus to building a draft-based foundation for the future. 

Of course, a big part of that future involves finding a franchise quarterback. And the Jets need to determine what they have in Christian Hackenberg, a second-round pick last year, before they can answer an enormous question: Will they draft a quarterback high in 2018? 

So here's another question: What's the point now of starting quarterback Josh McCown?

If the Jets are trying to sell a rebuild to their frustrated fan base, shouldn't they actually provide a game-situation audition for a quarterback who could be a key ingredient in that rebuild? 

McCown turns 38 next month and won't be with the Jets past 2017, since he is playing on a one-year contract. Yes, he has looked more advanced than Hackenberg or third-year pro Bryce Petty during organized team activities. But this season is about more than just scratching out a few extra wins with a depleted roster. It is about answering important, long-term questions. 

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan spoke often Tuesday -- as he attempted to justify the Harris and Decker decisions -- about creating an opportunity for younger guys to play. 

The Jets are giving Hackenberg an opportunity to compete with McCown and Petty for the starting job -- an equal chance for all three, as offensive coordinator John Morton put it. 

But if Hackenberg is close enough to a serviceable option, why not play him? It's not like the Jets are winning 10 games with McCown, who is inconsistent at best, and is now surrounded by perhaps the NFL's worst roster. If the Jets are going to struggle anyway, they might as well do it in a productive manner, and get some answers about Hackenberg. 

The Jets, in game situations, desperately need to evaluate Hackenberg. That's what matters most this season, in the grand scheme of things. 

Maccagnan, to no surprise, dodged the "why not just start Hackenberg?" question on Tuesday. 

"Having Josh being a veteran presence in there, I think he's good for those two young players," Maccagnan said. "That'll play itself out over time. But there's a lot of football still to be played until we get to that determination of who is going to actually start." 

Maccagnan also spoke about Jets coach Todd Bowles being the one who decides which guys start. While Maccagnan controls the 53-man roster, Bowles controls the depth chart. 

And if Bowles hasn't received assurances from owner Woody Johnson about his job security past 2017, what motivation does he have to play Hackenberg just to get an evaluation? 

That's the rub here, because anyone can plainly see it would be a stunner if McCown doesn't win the Week 1 starting job -- provided this quarterback competition is a pure meritocracy. 

5 things Hackenberg needs to show

The bar is low -- now lower than ever -- for the 2017 Jets, coming off a 5-11 season. Bowles can surely save his job by winning six or seven games and avoiding the locker room discord that plagued last season.

He wants to start the quarterback who gives him the best chance of winning. For him, that makes perfect sense, as it should. Right now, based on spring practices, that ideal-for-winning quarterback isn't Hackenberg, even if starting him makes perfect sense for the Jets. 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

2 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Weak. Woody is a lot of things, but cheap? Come on. 

Yeah, there's a long list of reasons to not like any of what is going on, but the attempt to play it off as simply being "cheap" is a mind-numbingly stupid one.  The money is not coming from Woody's personal finances, plus anyone who has even the slightest grasp on the rolling cap understands that this money will still be spent, even if not this year.  I'm not even defending any of this mess, but anyone trying to use this reason has no clue what they're even talking about.  If anyone is that desperate to blame this solely on Woody, you would think his complete lack of understanding of football would be reason enough.

15 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick literally set this team back 5 years.

I said that last year. That signing was atrocious. No way a decent GM would have allowed that chump to dictate anything but his ticket to another team.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Does this include 2015?

OH YEAH!  Horrendous year IMO, you guys can all go pat him on the back for beating up on HS level talent padding stats, and choking when it counted to only give the Jets the 20th pick, and have a team full of malcontents who wanted their conquering hero back for a sh*t load of money.

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

I said that last year. That signing was atrocious. No way a decent GM would have allowed that chump to dictate anything but his ticket to another team.

I've been saying it since Geno Smith was healthy in 2015.

Also, maybe these are my biases, but this feels like a mandate on Hackenberg.  If you think he can play this year, you keep a quality WR in Decker around to help him grow.  Would you really throw Hackenberg out there, if you believed in him, with Enunwa as his only proven pass-catcher?

I think this season will be McCown all the way.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, there's a long list of reasons to not like any of what is going on, but the attempt to play it off as simply being "cheap" is a mind-numbingly stupid one.  The money is not coming from Woody's personal finances, plus anyone who has even the slightest grasp on the rolling cap understands that this money will still be spent, even if not this year.  I'm not even defending any of this mess, but anyone trying to use this reason has no clue what they're even talking about.  If anyone is that desperate to blame this solely on Woody, you would think his complete lack of understanding of football would be reason enough.

Thank you. The rolling cap plus the cap floor is lost on too many people. The people who think Macc could or should have started a rebuild when he first got here simply don't understand how that was impossible at that time. 

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Also, maybe these are my biases, but this feels like a mandate on Hackenberg.  If you think he can play this year, you keep a quality WR in Decker around to help him grow.  Would you really throw Hackenberg out there, if you believed in him, with Enunwa as his only proven pass-catcher?

Geno Smith had worse talent at WR

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

It's not your biases...for once we're on the same page regarding the kid.. 

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Yeah, Hackenberg was pretty much the one reason that it seemed as though they would want to keep Decker around.  The team sending him packing now definitely does not say such great things about their thoughts on Hack this year, barring the extremely unlikely circumstance of them already being sold on Anderson or convinced one of the rookies can start day one.

I'm sure he'll still get his shot at some point this season, because there's no real reason not to, but they don't seem to be expecting much.

9 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I think they're more interested in seeing the young WR's play more than Hackenberg at this point.

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I'm still holding out for a miracle....but even as a huge supporter of Hackenberg, this purge and prep for 2018 doesn't sound like the team is very hopeful....

That's the odd part about this.  if Macc was pushing for Hack to get a shot why would he completely tear the roster down giving Hack almost no chance to succeed.  it's almost got the  feel to it that they have lost faith in Hack.

McCown getting twice the reps he's getting this time of year doesn't seem to bode well either

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The timing is certainly suspicious, too. A few days of mostly horrific performances from Hackenberg in practice and they decide to go scorched earth in June with the clear intent of tanking for a QB. If they were hedging their bets before, they just tossed their cards into the middle of that table now.

12 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Hackenberg's career won't last 5 games. He is set up to fail.

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

That's the odd part about this.  if Macc was pushing for Hack to get a shot why would he completely tear the roster down giving Hack almost no chance to succeed.  it's almost got the  feel to it that they have lost faith in Hack.

McCown getting twice the reps he's getting this time of year doesn't seem to bode well either

Could Decker really be counted on to stay healthy?  Track record wasn't promising. IMO this move doesn't play into Hack. 

Hack will play this season. Maybe not week 1 but he'll get plenty of playing time. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The timing is certainly suspicious, too. A few days of mostly horrific performances from Hackenberg in practice and they decide to go scorched earth in June with the clear intent of tanking for a QB. If they were hedging their bets before, they just tossed their cards into the middle of that table now.

I have to say I thought exactly the same thing, looking at the practices in the last few weeks they realized no more quantative easing for the 2017,  it's time for the hair shirt and cold showers.

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Could Decker really be counted on to stay healthy?  Track record wasn't promising. IMO this move doesn't play into Hack. 

Hack will play this season. Maybe not week 1 but he'll get plenty of playing time. 

No body can be counted on to stay healthy.  Not sure what their intention is with Hack, but man their setting him up for failure.   

Decker probably wouldn't stay healthy but given his reputation as a great route runner, the young wide receivers might have learned something from him. Likewise Harris is such a solid human being and team player, the team could have used his example on and off the field.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Of course with how things go with the Jets, Hackenberg will end up playing at some point and having a surprising, yet hardly inspiring, season.  The lack of greater success will ultimately be blamed on decisions like this, so the Jets invest elsewhere while giving Hack another chance in 2018 and well... we all know how that would go.

I mean, I know in real life it seems like him just outright sucking is the more likely scenario, but that sounds just too damn easy.

11 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Since when did they ever have faith in him. :eek:

Just now, flgreen said:

No body can be counted on to stay healthy.  Not sure what their intention is with Hack, but man their setting him up for failure.   

C'mon. You know what I mean. His history goes completely against being healthy / available  

Young WRs will be hungry. They have the talent. Stewart can be used like a Brad Smith. ASJ has made some changes and playing for a contract. They could have 3 rotational RBs that fit the WCO. 

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

C'mon. You know what I mean. His history goes completely against being healthy / available  

Young WRs will be hungry. They have the talent. Stewart can be used like a Brad Smith. ASJ has made some changes and playing for a contract. They could have 3 rotational RBs that fit the WCO. 

Yeah C'com before last year he only missed 4 games his whole career.  He got hurt last year.  It happens

When the Jets start out 0-3,  the meltdowns will be quite amusing 

This is an irsay style tank job. The players will be asked to win, the coaches will coach to win, but with the equivalent of Kerry Collins coming back from a 2 year retirement leading the way it's not a year to watch the scoreboard 

Just pick a couple young guys you like and watch them

Archived