Jets reached out to Steve Smith to come out of retirement

Sperm Edwards

5 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Downwards, upwards, sideways, clockwise, counterclockwise, round and round and round, you spin me round like a record. 

Any way the wind blows,

doesnt really matterrrrrrr

to Mac....

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then he's an even bigger fool than I already thought he was, if he thought there was any chance Steve Smith retired just so he could come back to the Jets to back up a bunch of rookies. Oh, and pay yet another position coach on the player salary cap. 

So...he can get his HC to tuck Steve Smith behind some young prospects, but he can't get his HC to do that with Decker. In what way does this make any rational sense?

It's a youth movement Sperm he's a young 39

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Mangold, Revis, Harris, Brick, and (to a lesser degree) Calvin Pace.

Core players whose recent departures we've lamented. All brought here by Mangini.

I know the players he brought on... I'm just saying that he's not the only guy capable of finding players, he's just the most recent one that Woody stumbled across. Jets fans often defer back to the most recent, familiar semblance of success. My hope is we find someone better than Mangini, frankly. There are guys all across the league who seem capable. Woody just has affinity for hiring the guys who don't seem capable instead.

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Or, you know, they thought of it as an outside idea that they weren't desperately clinging too, did their due diligence by asking, got told that he's done, and moved on without sh*tting their pants over it, just like the article you posted suggests?

So it's "due diligence" - rather than laughable stupidity - to think Steve Smith

• who ranks #7 on the NFL's all-time receiving yards list
  • who retired despite still having a starting job on a team he knew and  loved
  • would want to get rostered, as a backup player, behind 1 or more players who will never make it as NFL WRs
  • would want to take on this role on the NFL's worst roster
  • not exactly joining a coach or GM he's followed around his whole career
  • on a team that appears - already, in early June - to be pursuing the #1 overall pick the following year
  • on a team whose only NFL-caliber QB will be 38 year-old Josh McCown
  • on a team that just took two safeties with its top 2 picks
  • and for this unceremonious end to a great playing career, he'd put a post-playing TV career into jeopardy. The selling point is that, hey, career loser Josh McCown agreed to (at double his next highest offer of course).

Lol. And then his HC, whose career is hanging by a thread himself, would actually start any number of backup players over Smith for the betterment of his successor. Because that's totally realistic as well.

At some point you have to accept these guys are winging it with no plan, because they truly have no idea what they're doing; that they got massive amounts of undue credit for once spending 2 years of saved-up cap room (plus additional future cap room), combined with every decent or half-decent opponent we beat having key/multiple injuries during our matchup.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I know the players he brought on... I'm just saying that he's not the only guy capable of finding players, he's just the most recent one that Woody stumbled across. Jets fans often defer back to the most recent, familiar semblance of success. My hope is we find someone better than Mangini, frankly. There are guys all across the league who seem capable. Woody just has affinity for hiring the guys who don't seem capable instead.

Well put.

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

The most success this godforsaken team has had in most people's lifetime was when Rex Ryan took Mangini's players to back-to-back AFC Championship Games. So why not make Mangini run the front office, and Rex coach the team? Both are available. And even though the optics would be bad, who cares? This team is in the gutter anyway.

Mangini's discipline would help keep Rex's silliness in check.

Bring back Mangini as GM and Rex as HC

Does anybody know Mike McCagnan's date of birth?  Wikipedia doesn't have it.  My theory is that he uses his horoscope to make football moves.  If we can get that date we can predict the next boneheaded move before he does it therefore softening the blow of his stupidity.

6 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Does anybody know Mike McCagnan's date of birth?  Wikipedia doesn't have it.  My theory is that he uses his horoscope to make football moves.  If we can get that date we can predict the next boneheaded move before he does it therefore softening the blow of his stupidity.

Youth movement yet we have a 37 year old starting Qb and the GM wants to talk a 40 year old possession receiver to come out of retirement 

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

If that's the case then I agree with the moves. If the coach lost the locker room then either the coach or the players must go. And though I have my issues with how Bowles coaches at times, at the end of the day I watch the game for the players...and they were giving up quite often last season. If the coach stays then you must support him. All the guys released would have been gone next year anyway

The problem is that he'll be challenged again, and by guys who watched him get steamrolled last year. It's one thing to chop the head off the ringleader, but it's another thing to throw your hands up and cut everyone who tests you as a head coach. Bowles isn't gonna last long if he has to run to daddy every time a player steps out of line.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The problem is that he'll be challenged again, and by guys who watched him get steamrolled last year. It's one thing to chop the head off the ringleader, but it's another thing to throw your hands up and cut everyone who tests you as a head coach. Bowles isn't gonna last long if he has to run to daddy every time a player steps out of line.

Bowles won't have Marshall to blame for next season's meltdown

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Or, you know, they thought of it as an outside idea that they weren't desperately clinging too, did their due diligence by asking, got told that he's done, and moved on without sh*tting their pants over it, just like the article you posted suggests?

Exactly.

To some people, anything the Jets do, or anything that gets reported is somehow a bad thing, terrible idea, or shows some kind of instability in the organization.

Regardless of what your outlook on this team/organization is, all the Jets did was reach out to a guy to gauge his interest in playing football in 2017. How anyone could have a problem with that is beyond ridiculous.

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

The most success this godforsaken team has had in most people's lifetime was when Rex Ryan took Mangini's players to back-to-back AFC Championship Games. So why not make Mangini run the front office, and Rex coach the team? Both are available. And even though the optics would be bad, who cares? This team is in the gutter anyway.

Something Mangini couldn't do even in a season without Brady..:)

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

If that's the case then I agree with the moves. If the coach lost the locker room then either the coach or the players must go. And though I have my issues with how Bowles coaches at times, at the end of the day I watch the game for the players...and they were giving up quite often last season. If the coach stays then you must support him. All the guys released would have been gone next year anyway

IDK man, Bowles didn't have the look of a guy who is being supported in that presser yesterday.  After a 45 min. delay, he had the look of a WTF is going on here guy.

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IDK man, Bowles didn't have the look of a guy who is being supported in that presser yesterday.  After a 45 min. delay, he had the look of a WTF is going on here guy.

So he had his side line game day look???:)

#youthmovement

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Um... Rex had seven (7) new starters and a new punter.  "Mangini's players" my ass.  **** that overhyped, wannabegenius in the ******* eye.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Dont be too sure about that. The Jets are strategizing to tank a season (unfortunately) and Bowles may be guaranteed employment given this. You look at it from the perspective that guys may challenge him because they watched him get steamrolled last year. 

Im looking at it from the perspective that they may be wary given that every guy that they watched steam roll the coach are all currently off this football team. 

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

I have to watch it again. I was more tuned into the breaking news and not his body language. I'll check it out now. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

I have to watch it again. I was more tuned into the breaking news and not his body language. I'll check it out now. 

He even took a bit of a swipe at Macc when asked why the contract negotiations didn't happen in March.  He replied "Good Question"

Not sure exactly what, but I strongly feel there is some kind of divide between Macc and Bowles right now.

Strongly suspect the 45 min.  delay for the presser was so they could get Bowles up to speed about exactly what was going on.  Most peculiar  

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Impossible. I read so many times that Maccagnan is really taking his marching orders from Bowles, and that's the reason for taking a shrimpy ILB with last year's 1st rounder, followed by safeties with our #1 and #2 picks this year. 

After a 5-win season where he was widely rumored to be hanging on by a thread as the season was coming to a close, Bowles was obviously the one instrumental in desiring a tear-down season to the point where some might consider 5 wins a success.

5 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

This plus "What a bunch of Morons"....Why not ask Joe Namath and Don Maynard to come play this season?

bubba-gump-shrimp-company.jpg

Do you rep all of your own posts, or just the really bad ones?

On June 7, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Impossible. I read so many times that Maccagnan is really taking his marching orders from Bowles, and that's the reason for taking a shrimpy ILB with last year's 1st rounder, followed by safeties with our #1 and #2 picks this year. 

After a 5-win season where he was widely rumored to be hanging on by a thread as the season was coming to a close, Bowles was obviously the one instrumental in desiring a tear-down season to the point where some might consider 5 wins a success.

Chaos concentrate with a splash of stupidity 

On 6/6/2017 at 9:47 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813672/article/jets-reached-out-to-steve-smith-about-playing-in-2017

If the team is willing to cut ties with proven wideouts such as Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, it's worth wondering why the front office operatives would explore the possibility of coaxing another wide receiver out of retirement.

The Jets contacted former Panthers and Ravens star Steve Smith about playing in 2017, NFL Network's Kimberly Jones reported on Tuesday's edition of Inside Minicamp Live.

"Earlier today in the green room, Steve Smith Sr. was saying 'Hey, the Jets reached out to me,'" Jones explained. "Yes, the Jets reached out to Steve Smith, asked if he was still interested in playing. He indicated he wasn't."

We would suggest chalking this up to a case of Gang Green simply performing due diligence, updating the Steve Smith file to gauge his resolve in walking away from football with a year or two still left in the tank.

It would make little sense for the Jets to cut Marshall and Decker only to turn around and sign the game's oldest receiver. It would make even less sense for Smith to unretire for the opportunity to join an organization ostensibly punting the 2017 season.

Lol

Archived