For The Sake Of Balance

KRL

4 hours ago, jetfan39 said:

just a thought.  could it be possible that the agents went right from the negotiating table to the 1st reporter they could find which just happen to be

Schefter before the jets could reach Haris who was still on the practice field?  Don't have a clue if that is what happened but the agents may have 

wanted to make their client the victim in stead of greedy by not wanting to take a pay cut.  Because right now Harris is the victim of a evil organization.

Been saying that since yesterday. Why do you think Shefter was the first to then have Harris agents response to the release?  IMO they told Shefter Harris was being released. 

That said.  It's done. We're on to the green & white scrimmage. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, gEYno said:

Nothing wrong with the Jets asking Harris to take a paycut.  Nothing wrong with Harris refusing to take a paycut.  What's wrong is that you take a well respected player and a good soldier for a decade, and you do this 3 months after the bulk of the offseason money has dried up, limiting his options and his potential for earnings and opportunities to continue his career elsewhere.  That's not how you treat someone who's done well by you for 10 years.

17 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Harris was well paid and the Jets needed him until they found someone who they believed could be an upgrade . I heard the same garbage when Mangold was let go and he still doesn't have a Job . Revis  still doesn't have a job and Harris wasn't going to make much more than what the Jets were offering him if he was released yesterday or 3 months ago . 

Sentiment is all well and good, but the Jets are running a business, and David Harris was an asset who just wasn't worth what he was originally .  If he accepted what was common knowledge, all this fuss would never have happened and he could have retired a Jet .

I have to agree with Tinstar here. Both you guys present good points, Harris was indeed a great asset for a decade and I dont ever remember him being an issue with all of the chaos surrounding him and the different regimes. He's played under 3 different GM's and 3 different HC's. However, the Jets have given him some of the best contracts I've ever seen a Jets player get in terms of dollar amount to production on the field. I think there was a time when Harris was like a top 3/top 5 highest paid MLB in the entire league...yet he was never a top 5 best MLB in the league. Not even close. He was one of the best Jets, but the man got paid like he was one of the best NFL players. 

In a situation where you then are about to hit free agency in 2015 and you're a 31 year old MLB that is out of your prime, cant produce sacks or atleast consistent pressure and cant cover TE's and the Jets turn and give you and again offer you an obviously over priced contract of 3 years 21 million and you take it, then IMO when that same team comes to you in respects to a pay cut and you say "no" then business is business. 

A guy who in his prime got paid like a top 3 Linebacker yet was never a top 3 Linebacker or ever made a probowl, a guy who after his prime got another contract that paid him like a top 10 MLB yet he wasnt a top 10 MLB, while outside of being a consistent tackler it can be argued that he really does nothing else for the team on the field. 

It's my belief that when a team takes care of you like that, when that team asks for a paycut in your last season you do it...because what will happen is that they can find someone who can put together similar production for a fraction of the price. 

Harris vs Davis last two seasons

Harris: 203 combined tackles, 130 solo tackles, Sacks 5, Contract 6.5 million 

Davis: 189 Combined Tackles, 116 solo Tackles, Sacks 4, Contract 3.7 million

The reality is that Harris at this point is only slightly better than Davis as a tackler but isnt nearly as fast or athletic. 

Harris should have taken the paycut because though he's been a good guy the past decade, he's been overpaid that entire time. 

21 hours ago, gEYno said:

Nothing wrong with the Jets asking Harris to take a paycut.  Nothing wrong with Harris refusing to take a paycut.  What's wrong is that you take a well respected player and a good soldier for a decade, and you do this 3 months after the bulk of the offseason money has dried up, limiting his options and his potential for earnings and opportunities to continue his career elsewhere.  That's not how you treat someone who's done well by you for 10 years.

Bingo.  Especially after they let Marshall go early so he could catch on to a contending team and for bigger money than he would have gotten if cut on June 7th.  Why give Marshall that privilege and not Harris?  I don't buy in that they already had Marshall's replacement on the roster and not Harris' replacement (D. Davis).  Jets would have done this even without making that Pryor trade.  This is all so simple.  After seeing the OTA's and just how horrible both Petty and Hack are, Woody must have finally committed to the Tank and ordered that any and every possible salary dump be implemented.  Mac doesn't make the Harris cut without the directive from Woody.  Period.  Decker, on the other hand, was always going to be cut within a nanosecond of his being cleared from that injury.  Decker is ALWAYS injured and will always miss a significant amount of time no matter what team he plays for.  He also was a key member of the Fitz posse that helped tear apart the clubhouse last year.  He was never going to remain a Jet this season.  

One last item:  Sheldon Dumbass Richardson.  Look to see a trade for a conditional midround pick sometime between now and the end of August.  He's as good as gone.

20 hours ago, Skeptable said:

What the SOJ would have done is kept him on the roster blocking the young players from developing while Harris only aged...

like we did with Fitz last year?  Bowles is a SOJ!!!

19 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Lawyer Milloy played 10 years as a Patriot and was cut the week before the season because of a paycut... same situation.... More of a dick move.

"everybody does it" excuse  for doing something wrong or doing something in the worst way is indestructible!  Nicely done.

19 hours ago, gEYno said:

Funny, because I'd think the real snowflakes are the ones that can't handle that other fans dare criticize the team.

Snowflake is the polite, PC way to put it.  The ones who can't take the well deserved and legit criticisms are... well....  meow.

19 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Along with Mangold....

Mangold was never offered a pay cut at all.  He was just plain cut while enjoying Disney with his kids.  He said multiple times that he both expected  and was willing to negotiate a pay cut.

I have no qualms about cutting Mangold. His skill set had really declined a lot more than most people here admit.  I just think that Mac, Bowles and/or Woody should have spoken to him directly after talking to his agent.  No reason Mangold had to learn of the cut the way he did.  Good move but done poorly.  

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

Regardless, the treatment of Harris is utterly classless.

Cutting him is fine. Waiting till now to do it is soj classless mishandling.

Who ever said the Jets had class?  Especially this administration.

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I have to agree with Tinstar here. Both you guys present good points, Harris was indeed a great asset for a decade and I dont ever remember him being an issue with all of the chaos surrounding him and the different regimes. He's played under 3 different GM's and 3 different HC's. However, the Jets have given him some of the best contracts I've ever seen a Jets player get in terms of dollar amount to production on the field. I think there was a time when Harris was like a top 3/top 5 highest paid MLB in the entire league...yet he was never a top 5 best MLB in the league. Not even close. He was one of the best Jets, but the man got paid like he was one of the best NFL players. 

In a situation where you then are about to hit free agency in 2015 and you're a 31 year old MLB that is out of your prime, cant produce sacks or atleast consistent pressure and cant cover TE's and the Jets turn and give you and again offer you an obviously over priced contract of 3 years 21 million and you take it, then IMO when that same team comes to you in respects to a pay cut and you say "no" then business is business. 

A guy who in his prime got paid like a top 3 Linebacker yet was never a top 3 Linebacker or ever made a probowl, a guy who after his prime got another contract that paid him like a top 10 MLB yet he wasnt a top 10 MLB, while outside of being a consistent tackler it can be argued that he really does nothing else for the team on the field. 

It's my belief that when a team takes care of you like that, when that team asks for a paycut in your last season you do it...because what will happen is that they can find someone who can put together similar production for a fraction of the price. 

The reality is that Harris at this point is only slightly better than Davis as a tackler but isnt nearly as fast or athletic. 

Harris should have taken the paycut because though he's been a good guy the past decade, he's been overpaid that entire time. 

he has not been as good as his paycheck for years.  I cannot cry. I wanted him gone 2 years ago

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

If the team can lose so much and so horrendously that the stadium is only filled with away team fans, and literally no one cares anymore. After Florham Park is razed to the ground and the Earth salted. Only then can true rebuilding take place. 

A nice attempt at sarcasm... but...  You need to read more of Dbatesman's posts to develop that skill.  Better luck next time.

15 hours ago, jetfan39 said:

just a thought.  could it be possible that the agents went right from the negotiating table to the 1st reporter they could find which just happen to be

Schefter before the jets could reach Haris who was still on the practice field?  Don't have a clue if that is what happened but the agents may have 

wanted to make their client the victim in stead of greedy by not wanting to take a pay cut.  Because right now Harris is the victim of a evil organization.

After listening to his agent on Serius NFL Network yesterday, I have to agree.  I would have to paraphrase, but the comments, tone and attitude were that the Jets shamed Harris and that the agent was royally pissed that Harris missed the opportunity to get the bigger free agent money he would have gotten  if cut in February.  He basically claimed that it was the worst thing has ever done to him in his years of being an agent.  It was clear that the agent was out to roast the Jets.  After listening to that pile of horse crap, I now truly believe that the agent is at just as much fault, if not more, than the Jets F.O.   He was out to make the Jets look like evil, selfish pricks who had zero respect and gratitude for all the work of his client through the last decade.  Really, the agent should have won an Academy Award for his performance.  He wounded his own client by leaking the info to the media while his own client was on the practice field.  What a P.O.S.  Harris needs a new agent. 

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Not Harris's fault he's been overpaid, nor his fault he didn't want to give money back to a sinking ship, which doesn't really need the money at this time, at the end of his career.

Again, it's mind boggling (well, not really because...) that this needs to be said over and over again, but no one is complaining that David Harris isn't a Jet.  Simply stating that when it comes to guys who you've worked with for a decade and have worked hard for you over that time, you send them out with a little more class than the Jets did here.  The conversation persists because people can't tolerate this mild criticism of the Jets management.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

The irony of the post you quoted, that it's those who are vocally critical of Macc and the Jets today, would have kept Harris around, blocking others from developing, is that those accused of this are the same people who have been calling to blow this all up while the majority of the fanbase was still using the term "Sanchize" unironically.

I wish I could check the exact date when I uploaded this stupid "RESET" button into my signature.  It'd probably be half a decade ago by now.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Not Harris's fault he's been overpaid, nor his fault he didn't want to give money back to a sinking ship, which doesn't really need the money at this time, at the end of his career.

Again, it's mind boggling (well, not really because...) that this needs to be said over and over again, but no one is complaining that David Harris isn't a Jet.  Simply stating that when it comes to guys who you've worked with for a decade and have worked hard for you over that time, you send them out with a little more class than the Jets did here.  The conversation persists because people can't tolerate this mild criticism of the Jets management.

there will always be those handful of posters who adversely react to any criticism of the management of this franchise, whether such criticism deserved or not.  It's all part of the message board forum life, yet I admit that sometimes the lack of logic behind that position surprises me.  Does the board over-criticize?  Considering that this team is a perennial disappointment and underachiever, nope.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Bingo.  Especially after they let Marshall go early so he could catch on to a contending team and for bigger money than he would have gotten if cut on June 7th.  Why give Marshall that privilege and not Harris?  I don't buy in that they already had Marshall's replacement on the roster and not Harris' replacement (D. Davis).  Jets would have done this even without making that Pryor trade.  This is all so simple.  After seeing the OTA's and just how horrible both Petty and Hack are, Woody must have finally committed to the Tank and ordered that any and every possible salary dump be implemented.  Mac doesn't make the Harris cut without the directive from Woody.  Period.  Decker, on the other hand, was always going to be cut within a nanosecond of his being cleared from that injury.  Decker is ALWAYS injured and will always miss a significant amount of time no matter what team he plays for.  He also was a key member of the Fitz posse that helped tear apart the clubhouse last year.  He was never going to remain a Jet this season.  

One last item:  Sheldon Dumbass Richardson.  Look to see a trade for a conditional midround pick sometime between now and the end of August.  He's as good as gone.

or, maybe a month after the draft, two teams decided they could move on from players and that created an opportunity for the jets to save big cap money.  cleveland took pryor, the jets got davis, and all of a sudden, after the draft and UDFAs, harris became expendable. for all we know, the jets have been asking harris to take a cut for a while and he's played hardball with them, figuring they'd have to keep him as the veteran presence of the defense. 

the harsh reality is that unless you are a good qb you are expendable, period.  

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

you are right... and I was on his ass about it last year non-stop... but Mac looks like he has learned few that mistake and maybe Bowles has too.... I will wait to see.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

"everybody does it" excuse  for doing something wrong or doing something in the worst way is indestructible!  Nicely done.

No, its in an example of a team that is the face of the league and one of the greatest dynasties this sport has ever seen.  Yet, they are 'allowed' to make business decisions yet other teams that actually do it nicer are sh*t, Got it...

37 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I never said it was anyone's fault, I simply stated the fact of the matter and used that to support the position that he was well taken care of for the decade that he's been around. 

I also didnt say that people are solely complaining about him not being a Jet, I know that it's regarding "when" he was released. Just like you say that the Jet organization could have used a bit more class when releasing him given his history with the team, I could also make the point that Harris could have used more class and did the team a favor when they needed him to given that they paid him more than he was worth for the majority of his career. He didnt do that because he wanted to maintain his salary, and they cut him because they needed to save money. He knew the risk given that his salary wasnt guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Mangold was never offered a pay cut at all.  He was just plain cut while enjoying Disney with his kids.  He said multiple times that he both expected  and was willing to negotiate a pay cut.

I have no qualms about cutting Mangold. His skill set had really declined a lot more than most people here admit.  I just think that Mac, Bowles and/or Woody should have spoken to him directly after talking to his agent.  No reason Mangold had to learn of the cut the way he did.  Good move but done poorly.  

Maybe they tried to get ahold of Mangold multiple times, you have no clue of what the actual circumstance was... everything is speculation from agents that were pissed that their client got cut. 

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

he has not beenas good as his paycheck for years.  I cannot cry. I wnted him gone 2 years ago

I feel you. I didnt mind having Harris back, but that 3 years 21 million dollar contract I criticized when they did it. He wasnt worth that amount then and his last 2 seasons proved that. 

He certainly didnt play like a guy those last 2 seasons making almost 8 million per season. 

27 minutes ago, Dcat said:

there will always be those handful of posters who adversely react to any criticism of the management of this franchise, whether such criticism deserved or not.  It's all part of the message board forum life, yet I admit that sometimes the lack of logic behind that position surprises me.  Does the board over-criticize?  Considering that this team is a perennial disappointment and underachiever, nope.

There is always a handful of posters that will crucify the management of this franchise, whether it deserves it or not.... It always surprises me that people jump to the negative immediately before they have any idea of what actually happened..... This Board always over-criticizes and is full of pessimistic people that must hate their own lives.

44 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Exactly this.

I think we still have too many Patriots-Jock-Sniffers who think that emulating the Pats classless ruthlessness is the key. It's not. It's having the GOAT QB and Head Coach, not the sh*tty way they treat veterans.

As above, the issue is not cuts. We ALL get the validity of cuts like these. But you can make these cuts and still be respectful to players who are amongst the best we've had at their positions over their long careers in NY.

Cutting Decker now? Fine. Cutting Forte late, also fine. Harris earned better treatment, and his salary over his career is not relevant to that fact.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Exactly this.

I think we still have too many Patriots-Jock-Sniffers who think that emulating the Pats classless ruthlessness is the key. It's not. It's having the GOAT QB and Head Coach, not the sh*tty way they treat veterans.

As above, the issue is not cuts. We ALL get the validity of cuts like these. But you can make these cuts and still be respectful to players who are amongst the best we've had at their positions over their long careers in NY.

Cutting Decker now? Fine. Cutting Forte late, also fine. Harris earned better treatment, and his salary over his career is not relevant to that fact.

not disagreeing with the respect angle.  but it could simply be that a few weeks after the draft, the browns felt davis was expendable, the jets obviously felt pryor was expendable, and all of a sudden the jets had a reasonable replacement for harris this season (not harris in his prime) for nothing.  and who knows, maybe the jets have been asking harris to take a paycut for a while, and he's refused.  so maybe harris overplayed his hand and lost, and this is how the jets played their hand.  we may never know.

13 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Regardless of the circumstances of his departure, he Harris belongs in the ring of honor and deserves a thank you from all of us fans.

Agreed .

So let me say Thank you Hitman  for a wonderful career and some awesome memories . One heck of a 2nd round pick .

13 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Regardless of the circumstances of his departure, he Harris belongs in the ring of honor and deserves a thank you from all of us fans.

I totally disagree......the day that Mo Lewis is enshrined in the Patriots Ring of Honor is the day that David Harris deserves the same honor

On 6/7/2017 at 9:45 AM, Tinstar said:

Harris was well paid and the Jets needed him until they found someone who they believed could be an upgrade . I heard the same garbage when Mangold was let go and he still doesn't have a Job . Revis  still doesn't have a job and Harris wasn't going to make much more than what the Jets were offering him if he was released yesterday or 3 months ago . 

Sentiment is all well and good, but the Jets are running a business, and David Harris was an asset who just wasn't worth what he was originally .  If he accepted what was common knowledge, all this fuss would never have happened and he could have retired a Jet .

I agree Harris was terrible in coverage, but who is the upgrade?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Exactly this.

Decker is also different because this is the earliest it made sense to cut him due to injury/financial issues.

16 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I agree Harris was terrible in coverage, but who is the upgrade?

To be determined, but the upgrade was more about how much than who, or there would not have been a need to try and retain David Harris at a lower cap value .

Take the money and the  timing out of the equation and what's left . David Harris was offered the opportunity to retire as a Jet and he declined leaving the team with no choice but to release him . Now 1 of 3 things happened after the decision to refuse the offer . Either his agent leaked the release to the media before Harris was officially informed, Harris lied about not knowing about his being release or the Jets leaked the release to the media .

My question is simple .  Who is it that everyone is slaying in the aftermath of this release ?

Just now, Jet9 said:

You said...

If you're going to be a long-winded, condescending jerk at every turn at least remember what you're typing as you hit submit.

Then you have trouble reading. I said nothing about the poor, fragile feelings of David Harris, despite your condescending, jerky reply that indicated it was my insinuation. 

For what is fast approaching a tenth time in 2 pages, it's that this was an easy PR misstep to avoid, by handling him differently than they might handle a worthless nobody of a player. You are the one that tried to flip that into an assertion that every player who gets cut has to have his hand held and balls cupped.

Be prepared for people to say you are wrong if you're going to repeatedly fail at your "So what you're saying is" exaggerations, which is far more obnoxious than my simply stating how I felt this was an unnecessary misstep.

45 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

it's that this was an easy PR misstep to avoid, by handling him differently than they might handle a worthless nobody of a player.

Of course it was. But, really, so what? There's no value in belaboring and delineating and clarifying and defending this point to death either. It was the right thing. It was done the wrong way at the wrong time by the wrong people but we're finally doing correct things even if we do look stupid in the process. Yes, this should have been done in March, but if we're playing this game Harris should never have gotten the second or third contracts we gave him either. His entire tenure as a Jet is the product of dumb roster moves and it seems pointless to bitch about how the smart move was handled badly.

The interesting thing to me will be what Harris gets now.   He was always one of those players that half the people loved because he was a Jet and a good soldier and the other half wanted to upgrade.  His contracts always seemed high and I assumed that meant that he provided value (QB of the defense) beyond personal contribution.  Of course the other, more likely, possibility is that it is because the Jets FO is populated by idiots.  I am interested to see what kind of deal he gets now to determine how much money we wasted over the years.

The other thing about Harris is that everybody acts like he is this thumper.  His best years were spent as the free roamer with Bart Scott taking on guards. 

9 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Of course it was. But, really, so what? There's no value in belaboring and delineating and clarifying and defending this point to death either. It was the right thing. It was done the wrong way at the wrong time by the wrong people but we're finally doing correct things even if we do look stupid in the process. Yes, this should have been done in March, but if we're playing this game Harris should never have gotten the second or third contracts we gave him either. His entire tenure as a Jet is 

Yeah, I suggested multiple times the way it was done was dumb but long term it isn't a big deal.

bolded part #1. My posts in this thread:

• "At the same time, it isn't a particularly good look for the team. Time will pass, so I'm not up in arms about it, but the way a team does this is to tell a 10-year Jet before others know about it."

and 

• "I think it's getting a little overdramatized, but it clearly was handled poorly. What's worse is how unnecessary it was to handle it this way."

bolded part #2:

• Duh. The initial contract for $36m with $29m guaranteed was dumb, as was the following one to guarantee another $15m to his slow ass a half decade after he lost a foot race with 300-lb Alge Crumpler.

Other than that, I'm responding to people responding to me and asking me questions.

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

A nice attempt at sarcasm... but...  You need to read more of Dbatesman's posts to develop that skill.  Better luck next time.

DBatesman gave that post rep that's the seal of approval. Or the sarcastic seal of "meh whatever"

22 hours ago, Tinstar said:

To be determined, but the upgrade was more about how much than who, or there would not have been a need to try and retain David Harris at a lower cap value .

Take the money and the  timing out of the equation and what's left . David Harris was offered the opportunity to retire as a Jet and he declined leaving the team with no choice but to release him . Now 1 of 3 things happened after the decision to refuse the offer . Either his agent leaked the release to the media before Harris was officially informed, Harris lied about not knowing about his being release or the Jets leaked the release to the media .

My question is simple .  Who is it that everyone is slaying in the aftermath of this release ?

McCagnan for not drafting his replacement last year or this year.  

On 6/7/2017 at 8:19 AM, KRL said:

With the cuts of Harris & Decker the "mainstream media" are into their shampoo, rinse and repeat narratives
of:

- They have the worst roster in the league
- They may not win a game this year
- They are tanking 2017
- They are already looking at the QB's in the 2018 draft

We've heard that before and in reality Harris & Decker being on the team wasn't going to change that.
From a player standpoint the cuts aren't "classy" but it happens all the time, just last week in KC
with Maclin for instance.  For the sake of balance, could there be football reasons for both players
getting cut?  Remember the OTA's entered the competitve on the field phase recently, is it possible
that:

- The players showed decline when going against an opponent?
- Younger players at their positions "flashed" and the front office thinks they can move on from them?

consider the sources.  if any team thinks they can just show up and win against the jets, they will be sadly mistaken.  there are too many unknowns at the moment to fully understand how good (or bad)  this team will be.  so this whole notion of the worst roster in the league is more than a bit overblown.  they need to find a qb and maybe two playmakers, you know the guys that scare the opponents.  imo the biggest issue is how well bowles will be able to coach and motivate these guys.  if he gets them to play sound football for 60 minutes they will be a hard team to win against.  they're too young to not make mistakes but as long as they don't happen in clusters they shouldn't hurt that badly.

as for harris and decker, they sound like a move made from above not something that mac or bowles would have done.  in reality both guys can still play but maybe not a level that justifies their salaries. tanking?  the shield will get all upset if they even think they are tanking. 

Archived