Do the Jets really have the worst roster in the NFL?

JetNation

IMG_9860.jpg?fit=1112%2C696

Daniel Jeremiah reports that an unnamed NFL executive believes the Jets have the “worst roster in the past decade” after the Jets announced David Harris and Eric Decker will no longer be with the team.

While this team certainly is not built to win right now, it does have some very talented players. First off, any team in the NFL would love to have our defensive lineman, Leonard Williams. He is an ascending player and our #1 building block. Aside from him, the following players should be a huge part of this team going forward.

Jamal Adams & Marcus Maye

Yes, they are both rookies, but this safety tandem is going to be a force to be reckoned with throughout the NFL in a few seasons. There is going to be a learning curve and some bumps in the road this season, but if they are coached up properly, I believe Adams will become a perennial pro-bowl safety and Maye will become a great starter in this league.

Muhammad Wilkerson

He didn’t have a great season last year coming off a serious leg injury, but he should be able to bounce back and produce at a high level again and make that huge contract worth while. If his performance continues to decline or remain stagnant, then he may not be worth keeping at his price tag, but the presence of an improving Leonard Williams should make things easier for Mo.

Quincy Enunwa

He’s only 25 years old and caught 58 passes for 857 yards and 4 touchdowns as our #3 WR for most of last season. Now that Marshall and Decker are both gone, Enunwa suddenly becomes our #1 and should be able to thrive. I predict 1,000+ receiving yards and 6+ TDs for Enunwa regardless of who is playing QB this season.

Some other players who are or could become quality starters for this team include:

Sheldon Richardson – DL – 26 years old (if he stays out of trouble)
Darron Lee – LB – 22 years old
Robby Anderson – WR – 24 years old
James Carpenter – OG – 28 years old
Brian Winters – OG – 25 years old
Deon Simon – NT – 26 years old
Morris Claiborne – CB – 27 years old (if he stay’s healthy)
Juston Burris – CB – 23 years old
Chad Hansen – WR – 22 years old
ArDarius Stewart – WR – 23 years old
Austin Seferian-Jenkins – TE – 24 years old
Jordan Leggett – TE – 22 years old
Lorenzo Mauldin – OLB – 24 years old
Jordan Jenkins – OLB – 22 years old
Brandon Shell – OT – 25 years old

… and lastly, Christian Hackenberg?? – QB – 22 years old

If even half of these guys on this list are developed properly, stay healthy, and perform up to their ability, this team is not devoid of talent at all. However, a lot of these players are very young and this team lacks experience, which is going to hurt us this season. I’ll admit, we may have one of the worst, if not the worst, record in the NFL this season, but I do not agree that this is one of the worst rosters in the past decade. I personally believe that “honor” belongs to the 2008, 0-16, Detroit Lions, who, besides Calvin Johnson, really didn’t have anybody else.

The future is bright Jets fans, we just gotta make it through this rebuild and let these young players develop!

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
JvUYQIJN8kg

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes.  They do.  Outside of the DL, it's the most JAGy list of JAGs I've ever seen.

Every teams draft picks look groovy and full of potential until you actually get to see them play.

We have a bottom 5 roster but it has good upside. Browns have a bottom 5 roster and more upside  The 49ers have a bad roster and less upside, same goes for the Bears and Bills.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes.  They do.  Outside of the DL, it's the most JAGy list of JAGs I've ever seen.

Every teams draft picks look groovy and full of potential until you actually get to see them play.

Man, is it going to be a long azz year....:(

Just now, kdels62 said:

We have a bottom 5 roster but it has good upside. Browns have a bottom 5 roster and more upside  The 49ers have a bad roster and less upside, same goes for the Bears and Bills.

What's the good upside?  

1 minute ago, peebag said:

What's the good upside?  

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Where is our Sammy Watkins?

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The 49'ers are probably on the same level.  Everyone else, I'd say has a little more upside than the Jets.  

Just now, peebag said:

What's the good upside?  

WRs (Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, Stewart, Hansen),  Safeties (on safeties) , potential long term OL solutions (winters, Shell, Carpenter) potential long-term TE duo (ASJ, Leggett),  potential number 1 CB (Claiborne), and an even better Leo. Those might not all pan out but they give good upside.

4 minutes ago, peebag said:

What's the good upside?  

hm the good upside is the unknown! I think the majority of this roster is a bunch of question marks that we have to wait and see this season how they'll do with a bunch of playing time and some even starting. 

So yes it's probably the worst roster in the league due to not knowing wtf we have yet. I don't think we have a bunch of Kyle Wilsons and Shaq Evans on the roster. Then that would be trouble. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

The 49'ers are probably on the same level.  Everyone else, I'd say has a little more upside than the Jets.  

Idk man that Bears team is brutal. They have the Trubisky thing as a wildcard but that roster makes my eye twitch. 

The Bills are not good but I'll agree that we toss up with them as a roster. They might get an edge because they have something at qb that isn't a steaming turd.

12 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The Bills are significantly better IMO than the other teams you listed.  I see them as a 6 or 7 win club. 

It's really easy to say this is the worst roster... but everybody isn't calling them the worst because they've seen them play and they stink.

NOBODY actually has any clue what this team will look like. We are starting completely fresh with a totally young team. Could they be bad? Absolutely, and that's the most likely scenario... but they could also gel and play good football. In the end, it ultimately falls on whoever is our QB. They have to protect the football, for the 10000th year in a row.

I think we have some potential quality starters in this year's draft. But, we are a bad team, no question about that. At least now we are not an old bad team. Worst, I don't know about that. But, if we end up drafting 1st or 2nd we can do quite well in next year's draft. we also have a ton of cap room to pick up quality players (maybe not splashy) next year as well. And, if by miracle, Hack turns out to be the guy (not expecting that by the way), we can rebuild nicely with all of the picks we can get for one of the top QBs.

Worst, maybe. Destined to suck for the next 5 years, hopefully not.

Last season the Jets were 5-11.  The only player cut that was productive last season was Harris.  I do not think we are worse than last season and if players like Adams and Claiborne play well and if Wilkerson bounces back the Jets may actually be better than last season.

What's the metric to determine this "worst roster" narrative?  If the metric is "name recognition" then people are probably
correct.  There isn't a ton of league wide recognizable names on the roster.  We had a lot of "names" last year but they all
failed and didn't live up to their "names".  For instance:

- Revis definitely has a bigger name even now then Morris Clairborne, Juston Burris or Darryl Roberts.  BUT I know for a fact
those three players are all better than Revis.  Why?  Because I watched Revis play last year and his game sunk below Kyle 
Wilson levels of incompetence

- This roster is incredibly young with very little track record on the players that will be getting the majority of reps.
They may stink but they also may start to earn their "name recognition" with good play       

I think at the start of the season it's one of the worst rosters... And by the end of the season, it's still pretty bad, but enough player show flashes of good football that it suddenly looks brighter. Not talking worst to first, but I think when it comes time to evaluate again, the Jets move up a handful of notches...

10 minutes ago, KRL said:

What's the metric to determine this "worst roster" narrative?  If the metric is "name recognition" then people are probably
correct.  There isn't a ton of league wide recognizable names on the roster.  We had a lot of "names" last year but they all

- Revis definitely has a bigger name even now then Morris Clairborne, Juston Burris or Darryl Roberts.  BUT I know for a fact
those three players are all better than Revis.  Why?  Because I watched Revis play last year and his game sunk below Kyle 

- This roster is incredibly young with very little track record on the players that will be getting the majority of reps.
They may stink but they also may start to earn their "name recognition" with good play       

You also have some young talent that looked very promising. Enunwa and L.Williams. R.Anderson, Lee, Jenkins- to a lesser degree. Then you have J.Adams, who, despite being a rookie, looks like he is as legit as it gets coming out of the draft. Then you have Wilk and Richardson, who I believe are still Pro Bowl caliber talents despite their recent play. 

I honestly believe with some competent QB play and some luck with injuries, the Jets WILL win more games than last year.   

46 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

WRs (Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, Stewart, Hansen),  Safeties (on safeties) , potential long term OL solutions (winters, Shell, Carpenter) potential long-term TE duo (ASJ, Leggett),  potential number 1 CB (Claiborne), and an even better Leo. Those might not all pan out but they give good upside.

whole lotta "potential" listed there....you do understand what happens when you assume, right? ;)

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

You also have some young talent that looked very promising. Enunwa and L.Williams. R.Anderson, Lee, Jenkins- to a lesser degree. Then you have J.Adams, who, despite being a rookie, looks like he is as legit as it gets coming out of the draft. Then you have Wilk and Richardson, who I believe are still Pro Bowl caliber talents despite their recent play. 

I honestly believe with some competent QB play and some luck with injuries, the Jets WILL win more games than last year.   

You really are full of PEP!!

2 minutes ago, peebag said:

whole lotta "potential" listed there....you do understand what happens when you assume, right? ;)

My point is that's a lot of young guys that give our team a whole bunch of upside and something to look forward to. On the other hand they all might bust and then we're right at where our roster is supposed to be and we can take our new QB and new GM and HC next year. 

18 minutes ago, KRL said:

When Maccagnan spent a hundred million dollars to build a roster on name recognition, a whole bunch of people loved it. When Maccagnan burned his own house down to field a roster with no name recognition, a whole bunch of the same people loved it.

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Don't you talk like that!

Well the roster is one thing but the fact we have a clueless coach and bad organizational structure might put us over the top.

The Jets have what should be one very strong part of the team, that being the Dline but our coach has zero clue how to get the most out of them.

Archived