Do the Jets really have the worst roster in the NFL?

JetNation

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

They cut Devin Smith 3 weeks ago, besides, Devin Smith could not sniff Sammy Watkins jock.

He was waived/injured.  He cleared waivers and was placed on IR.  He is still on the roster.

26 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

By far.

Mainly because they lack a QB. Look at the Colts the years before Manning got hurt and went 2-14 (14-2, 10-6) and the years following with Luck (11-5, 11-5, 11-5). 

The roster wasn't noticeably different in the year or two before and after, the difference was a lack of a QB. If you put Aaron Rodgers on the Jets or the Browns those teams make the playoffs or come close. 

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

There are clues everywhere. Advocating that they all be ignored is a whole other thing.

Sure there are... but that could also be because we straight up do not know who these guys are yet. We've never seen the vast majority of them play before. What if Claiborne stays healthy and Adams/Maye are as good as they're supposed to be? What does this defense look like then? What if Enunwa considers his transcendence and the young guys on the offensive line bring it?

My point is to assume everybody sucks without watching them play is jumping the gun a little bit. Let's get blown out a few times before we start declaring that.

On paper, yeah probably. 

There's a lot of youth and upside throughout the roster, which makes that easier to swallow, but this team doesn't have much in the way of proven entities as a whole. Just the D-line, a pair of decent RB's and I guess Carpenter and Winters? Nobody should have the team as a favorite at any point... except maybe against the Browns, and that's still a maybe.

A lot of pieces on this team have a chance to overachieve and leave an impression on the league at large but for now it'd be impossible to say we're anywhere but the bottom of any Football prognosticators list.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

What's the metric to determine this "worst roster" narrative?  If the metric is "name recognition" then people are probably
correct.  There isn't a ton of league wide recognizable names on the roster.  We had a lot of "names" last year but they all
failed and didn't live up to their "names".  For instance:

- Revis definitely has a bigger name even now then Morris Clairborne, Juston Burris or Darryl Roberts.  BUT I know for a fact
those three players are all better than Revis.  Why?  Because I watched Revis play last year and his game sunk below Kyle 
Wilson levels of incompetence

- This roster is incredibly young with very little track record on the players that will be getting the majority of reps.
They may stink but they also may start to earn their "name recognition" with good play       

The Jets are going to be a tough Defense to face this year... Will there be huge mistakes... Of course... they are young and mistakes are bound to happen... will the offense be able to recover from those mistakes? Probably not unless Hack turns into Montana. But put the ball in the hands of these young WRs and TEs and maybe something big happens... I am excited to watch this very young team... The biggest issue will be if these QBs can reach the WRs and TEs. 

yes worst roster and worst outlook  in the league.

only jet fans like to build up horrible jaq players into something they are not-I get it you have hope but hope is not always a good thing when reality stares you in the face.

I can remember folks talking up nelson like he was some how a great wr- you can say our young wr core has talent -I would say none of would be starting wr1s for any team in the league and most would not be starters at all

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well the roster is one thing but the fact we have a clueless coach and bad organizational structure might put us over the top.

The Jets have what should be one very strong part of the team, that being the Dline but our coach has zero clue how to get the most out of them.

Agreed

44 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is all setting up beautifully for the Jets to massively overachieve and win 6 or 7 games knocking us out of the top Qb draft race and making Bolwes look like a super coach who is then given an extension.

Exactly what I am thinking

10 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Sure there are... but that could also be because we straight up do not know who these guys are yet. We've never seen the vast majority of them play before. What if Claiborne stays healthy and Adams/Maye are as good as they're supposed to be? What does this defense look like then? What if Enunwa considers his transcendence and the young guys on the offensive line bring it?

My point is to assume everybody sucks without watching them play is jumping the gun a little bit. Let's get blown out a few times before we start declaring that.

Too Rational of a Thought.... Please leave this thread

6 minutes ago, kmnj said:

yes worst roster and worst outlook  in the league.

only jet fans like to build up horrible jaq players into something they are not-I get it you have hope but hope is not always a good thing when reality stares you in the face.

I can remember folks talking up nelson like he was some how a great wr- you can say our young wr core has talent -I would say none of would be starting wr1s for any team in the league and most would not be starters at all

It's almost as if they are tanking on purpose to get  a high draft pick and land a franchise QB....

Just now, RichardTodd27 said:

I have a bad feeling this team is going to be a lot better than people think. In any event, rooting for young teams with nothing to lose is fun.

I think so too... Somehow screw up tanking and go 7-9 or something

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

from NJ.com 

"In the three media-open OTAs, Hackenberg hit reporters with passes twice. "

Is this supposed to be a negative? I'd sign up for four every open practice. Manish, Cimini, Hughes & Costello

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

Outside of Qb we don't have that bad of a roster.  Problem is our Qb's are atrocious 

which is why i'm " ALL in "  for  " Tanking "  this season.. hello,.. 

darnold-signing-day-thumb-800x533-50870.

B)

3 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

They cut Devin Smith 3 weeks ago, besides, Devin Smith could not sniff Sammy Watkins jock.

Welllllllllllllll, not exactly.  As procedure they waived Smith as injured, then placed him on IR.  He's still on the roster, just not active

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is all setting up beautifully for the Jets to massively overachieve and win 6 or 7 games knocking us out of the top Qb draft race and making Bolwes look like a super coach who is then given an extension.

Normally I'd say that would be a very Jetsie thing to do.   Thing is usually when a team major overachieves it's due to a HC getting them all fired up.

Do you see Bowles doing that?

44 minutes ago, thadude said:

Outside of Qb we don't have that bad of a roster.  Problem is our Qb's are atrocious 

We finally agree on something. While our roster is not very good, it's not horrid. In fact, if Aaron Rodgers was our QB we'd be picked by most experts to make the playoffs. That's just how the NFL works. If Rodgers got hurt the Packers would go 6-10, at best. The colts lost Manning and went from a team that won 10-14 games every to a 2 win team. Then they drafted Luck and were back to winning 11 games for 3 straight years. 

That is why tanking, for one year, is the way to go. Once we land that franchise QB in next years draft, I am certain woody and macc will open the wallets and bring in high priced players to fill the voids.

Archived