Jets could easily be the most attractive NFL job opening next year

TuscanyTile2

If we get the #1 overall pick next year and Darnold is in the draft (and has another great season), does anyone think the Jets won't have top notch coaches/GMs banging down Woody Johnson's door (assuming those jobs are open)?  I truly think some people on this forum think that's a crazy statement.  Personally I think they couldn't be any more wrong.

The chance to draft a young franchise QB, have a TON of cap space, have several possible young defensive superstars (Leo and Jamal Adams) and win in NY.  This job could EASILY be one of the most desirable jobs to come along in the NFL in a good number of years.  Everything would be in place and in the biggest market in the country.  Some Jet fans are absolutely delusional if they think big name coaches/GMs won't come here.  If all goes "well" (a lot of losing this year) this could be the turning point in this franchise's history.

Bowles and Mac are mostly likely back next year. 

But either way aside from the number one pick, there's nothing attractive about this job. I don't know why anyone ever brings up NY as a huge bonus. It's expensive, the media sucks, and this team has a losing reputation. Super attractive. 

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

People on here are setting themselves up for a MAJOR disappointment, bowles and Mac are here for at LEAST two more full years.

I think Mac does get 1-2 more years.  Bowles?  I'm not so sure.

Just now, MDL_JET said:

Bowles and Mac are mostly likely back next year. 

But either way aside from the number one pick, there's nothing attractive about this job. I don't know why anyone ever brings up NY as a huge bonus. It's expensive, the media sucks, and this team has a losing reputation. Super attractive. 

Not to mention we live with a better-looking, more-successful, and more-popular older brother.

30 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I agree, and have stated it a few times already.

Not sure Jets will be most attractive option.  Always a chance of an opening with an existing franchise QB... maybe a star QB.  But the Jets might be near the top of the list with #1 overall.

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Wrong.

I'll be happy to make an avatar bet on this one.  Woody has bought into the exec of the year, the rebuild and all the people saying bowles will not be to blame if the team sucks.

Mac has gotta be safe right?

Otherwise a GM in the hot seat would never throw himself on the sword like this and not use every resource (cap dollars and free agents) to save his skin and not get a 2-14 record on his resume.  He must've gotten a directive to blow it up from the owner and you would assume that came with an assurance that his job would be safe in doing so as part of the agreement.  Right?  

I'm actually fine with this.  In fact I can't picture a more perfect scenario.  I am steadfast in my support for Mac despite the mismanagement of the DL.  I like his drafts so far, we won't know for a few more years how good they end up being.  I liked his previous FA acquisitions.  

I'd like to win zero games next season and have Mac picking the post apocalyptic groceries.

I will mourn every won game this season.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we get the #1 overall pick next year and Darnold is in the draft (and has another great season), does anyone think the Jets won't have top notch coaches/GMs banging down Woody Johnson's door (assuming those jobs are open)?  I truly think some people on this forum think that's a crazy statement.  Personally I think they couldn't be any more wrong.

The chance to draft a young franchise QB, have a TON of cap space, have several possible young defensive superstars (Leo and Jamal Adams) and win in NY.  This job could EASILY be one of the most desirable jobs to come along in the NFL in a good number of years.  Everything would be in place and in the biggest market in the country.  Some Jet fans are absolutely delusional if they think big name coaches/GMs won't come here.  If all goes "well" (a lot of losing this year) this could be the turning point in this franchise's history.

Jets will surprise this season, dead wood out, youth movement in ;-)

22 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Otherwise a GM in the hot seat would never throw himself on the sword like this and not use every resource (cap dollars and free agents) to save his skin and not get a 2-14 record on his resume.  He must've gotten a directive to blow it up from the owner and you would assume that came with an assurance that his job would be safe in doing so as part of the agreement.  Right?  

I'm actually fine with this.  In fact I can't picture a more perfect scenario.  I am steadfast in my support for Mac despite the mismanagement of the DL.  I like his drafts so far, we won't know for a few more years how good they end up being.  I liked his previous FA acquisitions.  

I'd like to win zero games next season and have Mac picking the post apocalyptic groceries.

Macc has no guarantee of being safe, IF the Jets get the 1st pick, and IF Darnold is still considered can't miss Manning, Luck type prospect then the Jets might have a Harbaugh type who would want full control interested in the job which means bye bye Macc.

31 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Mangini and Idzik probably got the same assurances from the Owner. 

Woody's word to his Team officials is about as good as a wooden nickel at a credit/debit only cashier. 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I think Mac does get 1-2 more years.  Bowles?  I'm not so sure.

Have you seen what this roster looks like? Did you see what it looked like last year? Macc puts the roster together, not TB. He gets stuck with the groceries that he is provided.

3 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Have you seen what this roster looks like? Did you see what it looked like last year? Macc puts the roster together, not TB. He gets stuck with the groceries that he is provided.

Have you not been following this team the past two years? Bowles: Fitz is my starter as soon as he's signed, Bowles, we don't draft players in the first round if they won't start, Lee will start. Bowles: smiling ear to ear when we drafted Adams. Bowles, had CRo the year before.  All logic dictates that Bowles has gotten everything he wanted up until this week.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I'll be happy to make an avatar bet on this one.  Woody has bought into the exec of the year, the rebuild and all the people saying bowles will not be to blame if the team sucks.

The coach and the GM are not on the same page.  Bowles is getting fired.

2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Mac stays. Bowles gone. Mac brings in "his guy" then screws up the draft and overpays mediocre FA's. Sound familiar?

Gonna be hysterical when Woody brings in Korn Ferry to hire the coach for Macc.

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

The only safety is contractual. 

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

Yeah.  He's tanking.  He can deny it to the media all he wants, but that's why this roster looks the way it does.  

Bowles will take the blame, Mac will pick his own coach and QB and be given another chance.

Get an offensive-minded head coach here who can work with a top QB draft pick, hopefully Darnold.  No more defensive head coaches.  You can win in the NFL with a solid defensive coordinator and nothing more, but you need a head coach who understands offensive strategy.

If they get a chance to draft Darnold it will indeed become an attractive job with all that cap space.  But first we have to go 0-16 or 1-15 and actually see Darnold show intent to declare.

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Have you not been following this team the past two years? Bowles: Fitz is my starter as soon as he's signed, Bowles, we don't draft players in the first round if they won't start, Lee will start. Bowles: smiling ear to ear when we drafted Adams. Bowles, had CRo the year before.  All logic dictates that Bowles has gotten everything he wanted up until this week.

That is a theory.  Logic shows me that after three drafts, there is STILL no speed rusher among other errors with the roster. That is Macc

26 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah.  He's tanking.  He can deny it to the media all he wants, but that's why this roster looks the way it does.  

Bowles will take the blame, Mac will pick his own coach and QB and be given another chance.

He has yet to pick a QB that the team has confidence in, yet you want the HC fired and Macc to pick the replacement. Go figure. Smh 

3 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

He has yet to pick a QB that the team has confidence in, yet you want the HC fired and Macc to pick the replacement. Go figure. Smh 

Where the hell did I say that?

I said what I think will happen, not what I want to happen.  Throw on your glasses and reread.

"SMH"

Archived