The Jets need a Theo Epstein

16 hours ago, mtwarlock31 said:

They did "rebuild with young players" in 2006 -2007:

2006: Nick Mangold, D'brickashaw Ferguson

2007: Revis, David Harris

Some of the best players the Jets have had over that period are home grown. Which free agents on the 2009 & 2010 teams had more of an impact than than any of those players (Calvin Pace? Bart Scott? Thomas Jones? LT?). 90% of the '09 and '10 teams were comprised of players the Jets drafted, not bought. 

Yes, we got lucky in those drafts.  Those 4 players were good contributors.  But the players who took us from 7-9 to the playoffs were the guys like Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Ladanian Tomlinson, Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Tony Richardson, Antonio Cromartie, Damien Woody, Jason Taylor, Alan Faneca, Kris Jenkins, even Nick Folk, these free agents were beasts and made all the difference.

Had we been "patient" and waited to draft players of this caliber, forget it, we're the Cleveland Browns.  The Jets proved that aggressive win-now free agency combined with a great cap manager could flip a franchise from dog to elite in a very quick timeframe.

SAR I

What is needed is a scouting department half as good as the LA Dodgers have.  I mean how many rookie of the years have they bagged?  I remember it was like 5 in a row back in the 80s.  TE my rear.  You cannot buy a team in the NFL.  You grow it.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes, we got lucky in those drafts.  Those 4 players were good contributors.  But the players who took us from 7-9 to the playoffs were the guys like Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Ladanian Tomlinson, Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Tony Richardson, Antonio Cromartie, Damien Woody, Jason Taylor, Alan Faneca, Kris Jenkins, even Nick Folk, these free agents were beasts and made all the difference.

Had we been "patient" and waited to draft players of this caliber, forget it, we're the Cleveland Browns.  The Jets proved that aggressive win-now free agency combined with a great cap manager could flip a franchise from dog to elite in a very quick timeframe.

SAR I

3 of those 4 players are Hall of Famers and the 4th is in the Jets Ring of Honor. They aren't "good" contributors. What you want the Jets to do is exactly what they are doing. Drafting for some sort of "core" (Adams, Williams...hopefully an offensive play-maker or lineman next year) and cutting cap this year to spend and be aggressive next season when Mac's a$$ is actually on the line. They have virtually no one to spend big money on in-house the next 2 years, so all that money is going to go towards free agency.

I don't see what the problem is. What exactly would you want them to do in 2017? Sign Jay Cutler? They aren't rebuilding with young players, they are just tanking with young players cause they do not have the cap to have an "aggressive win-now free agency" in 2017 with the current core they have now. They are setting themselves up to be competitive in 2018 & 2019. There is no way Woody is going to sit back and let Mac "tank" for multiple seasons.

2 hours ago, mtwarlock31 said:

I don't see what the problem is. What exactly would you want them to do in 2017? Sign Jay Cutler? They aren't rebuilding with young players, they are just tanking with young players cause they do not have the cap to have an "aggressive win-now free agency" in 2017 with the current core they have now. They are setting themselves up to be competitive in 2018 & 2019. There is no way Woody is going to sit back and let Mac "tank" for multiple seasons.

What I don't want them to do is resign themselves to the fact that they'll never win and thus manage the team to the penny instead of being free-wheeling with the pocket book like they once were.

"Fan narratives" have run this team forever.  I'm in no mood for the latest fan-based conjecture from the mouths of lunatic NCAA draftnicks of "building the right way" to be the strategy for the next 10 years. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What I don't want them to do is resign themselves to the fact that they'll never win and thus manage the team to the penny instead of being free-wheeling with the pocket book like they once were.

"Fan narratives" have run this team forever.  I'm in no mood for the latest fan-based conjecture from the mouths of lunatic NCAA draftnicks of "building the right way" to be the strategy for the next 10 years. 

SAR I

I am no cap expert, but I believe some of the recent penny pinching has a positive impact on the cap going forward Couldn't agree more with the fan narratives dictating how Woody has run the team. I can care less about losing every game to get them the #1 pick next year, but am more interested to see what players they can start to build around. The unfortunate thing is that the team's biggest holes (CB, LT and the rest of the line, edge rusher) are going to cost BIG in free agency. If they don't find positive young talent at these positions, they will never be able to have an successfully aggressive free agency. All the players you noted above in 09-10 did not command big contracts, which is not what would be the case to make this current team competitive (with or without a QB)

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I’m thinking more Eliot Wolf or Chris Ballard 

I don't know if he is Theo Epstein or the next Bill Polian but I would give Eliot Wolf a shot as the Jets GM without a second thought.

This would require the Johnsons to open up their checkbook for a CEO type coach or a President of Football Ops. Woody has yet to do this.

Id be checking Paul Chrysts interest and how much it’s going take to get him to the NFL. That would be a start.

On 6/12/2017 at 9:45 AM, SAR I said:

We should have kept Mike Tannenbaum.

Look at the Jets during his employ, we had the best 15 year stretch in team history built below-averagely in the draft, built outstandingly through free agency and cap management.

SAR I

Tanenbaum flamed our he got hot for a couple years and then started whiffing first round picks and trading for tebow

• Upvote 1
On 6/10/2017 at 2:20 AM, southparkcpa said:

Agreed. I have met and chatted on various occasions with two NFL GMs.... additionally look at the behavior of Tanny on HBO.

Most GMs make decisions on emotion etc. Like trading up for Sanchez, letting Favre out of his contract, drafting Vlad etc.

i fully believe a full computer model could do a better job.  Analyze needs, make the selection. Sort of a ROBO GM.

look at guys like Matt Millen for example.   Successful GMs like Ozzie, and Elway make sound decisions.

they don't draft Sanchez and 1 year out from his hey day let walk Cotch, Braylon and over pay Holmes.

They surround their QB with talent when possible and don't over pay for a 1 hit wonder (Osweiller).

Elway gets way too much credit. Dude was able to get a hall of fame super legend to play for his team for a few years and won a sb becsuse of it, suddenly he's in the same sentence with Ozzy, a guy who's been doing this for like 3 decades? Won multiple sb's with teams that he created, dismantled then recreated? The executive who was in charge of a Browns organization, which by the way, was the last time they looked like they were turning that franchise around?

Elway has done a decent job, but lets come back down to earth when putting him in the same sentence with guys like Ozzy.

Yup. 

Been saying this since may. 

What he did with the cubs was get the owner and fans to buy into playing and developing young players, and being patient with losses 

Jets looked like they were on that track and then they signed McCown 

It's hard to blame them, most GMs that get young and clear cap room get to watch another guy build the team