Christian Hackenberg Inaccuracy makes Headlines

Warfish

Hackenberg has been DOA since his sophomore year at Penn st... this shouldn't surprise anyone. The story line here is -- finding out why Mac ignored 2 years of horrible college QB play, and why he thinks he won't make the same mistake drafting in the top 5 in 2018

He needs to answer that question before he should be allowed to come into work this january. 

"He can't hit the ocean."

"He'll never make it."

Nobody, "agenda" or not, makes those statements within the organization unless it is obvious.

Sheldumb believes the job is a two horse race between McCown and Petty.

According to reporters, he was missing receivers in ugly fashion, hitting defenders regularly...

Remarkable how many will need to see it for themselves in August before believing it.  As of his dreadful performance last August will do a complete 180.

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Hackenberg has been DOA since his sophomore year at Penn st... this shouldn't surprise anyone. The story line here is -- finding out why Mac ignored 2 years of horrible college QB play, and why he thinks he won't make the same mistake drafting in the top 5 in 2018

He needs to answer that question before he should be allowed to come into work this january. 

If only there were reams of verifiable, predictive data that could have prevented this travesty: The Mike Maccagnan Story. 

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If only there were reams of verifiable, predictive data that could have prevented this travesty: The Mike Maccagnan Story. 

I know we all like to poke fun, or ridicule it our own way -- but honestly -- is that not a question we ought to be asking, overtly? 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why we should have any confidence in Mike Maccagnan? Yes.

Well the waters getting muddy the more broad the questions get. You enter into the - How much has Woody injected himself into decision making, the 10-6 forcing his hand with certain contracts, etc. etc arguments. 

But the specific and direct question of -- "Mike, it seems like you made a gross mis-judgment on evaluating Hackenberg. How are approaching this next class differenty?"

Hackenberg takes it on the chin – but should he have?

Dan Leberfeld

Did “Hackenberg hit reporters with passes twice” at Jets OTA practices?

I didn’t see it, so I will defer to NJ.com on this one.

I was there for every minute of the three OTA practices, but I didn’t see it.

It was probably a couple of passes that went of bounds on the media sideline.

But what is sad is this story has gone viral, and websites and message boards all over the internet are destroying the kid.

Does Hackenberg need to improve his accuracy? Absolutely. So do Deshaun Watson, Jared Goff and Blake Bortles. A lot of young quarterbacks do.

Are the two passes that went out of bounds and hit reporters, according to NJ.com, illustrative of his accuracy problem. I’m not sure. There are going to be incompletions in spring practices. Perhaps this anecdote is a bit hyperbolic and people are blowing it out of proportion.

The Jets have a new offense, a lot of new receivers; Jets quarterbacks and receivers are still working on getting on the same page. A lot of factors go into spring practice incompletions.

This story is a perfect example of why so many coaches don’t want reporters at spring practices. This is a time for teaching, learning and growing. It’s not a time for stats and style points.

Congratulations to NJ.com for all the traffic this story has created.

I guess that is the bottom line these days.

Were there some positive things written about Hackenberg in this story? Yes.

But that’s like asking, “Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?”

All people are talking about are the two passes that hit reporters.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Well the waters getting muddy the more broad the questions get. You enter into the - How much has Woody injected himself into decision making, the 10-6 forcing his hand with certain contracts, etc. etc arguments. 

But the specific and direct question of -- "Mike, it seems like you made a gross mis-judgment on evaluating Hackenberg. How are approaching this next class differenty?"

Personally, I like to evaluate Jets personnel by starting with the question, "what does he do well?"

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Dan Leberfeld

But what is sad is this story has gone viral, and websites and message boards all over the internet are destroying the kid.

Does Hackenberg need to improve his accuracy? Absolutely. So do Deshaun Watson, Jared Goff and Blake Bortles. A lot of young quarterbacks do.

Are the two passes that went out of bounds and hit reporters, according to NJ.com, illustrative of his accuracy problem. I’m not sure. There are going to be incompletions in spring practices. Perhaps this anecdote is a bit hyperbolic and people are blowing it out of proportion.

The Jets have a new offense, a lot of new receivers; Jets quarterbacks and receivers are still working on getting on the same page. A lot of factors go into spring practice incompletions.

This story is a perfect example of why so many coaches don’t want reporters at spring practices. This is a time for teaching, learning and growing. It’s not a time for stats and style points.

How annoyed are Jets beat writers that a Connor Hughes story in June went national? So annoyed, in fact, that they're prepared to die on Mt. Hackenberg in June.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How annoyed are Jets best writers that a Connor Hughes story in June went national? So annoyed, in fact, that they're prepared to die on Mt. Hackenberg in June.

No, it points out that maybe Hackenbeg looks OK, and it is just ONE reporter with a CLEAR agenda, creating a controversial story line to drive attention to himself and organization and because people want to bash the Jets it is working. Leberfield writing this shows that maybe there is a LOT of hyperbole by mr Connor Hughes. Even that first video he linked of Hackenberg being "inaccurate" was a drill for the QB to lead the QB too far  and teach the receivers to turn the head track the ball and run it down. Because of that he may have been very accurate.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

No, it points out that maybe Hackenbeg looks OK, and it is just ONE reporter with a CLEAR agenda, creating a controversial story line to drive attention to himself and organization and because people want to bash the Jets it is working. Leberfield writing this shows that maybe there is a LOT of hyperbole by mr Connor Hughes. Even that first video he linked of Hackenberg being "inaccurate" was a drill for the QB to lead the QB too far  and teach the receivers to turn the head track the ball and run it down. Because of that he may have been very accurate.

Johnny. 

Well it depends if the 2 reporters hit had recently written bad stories about Hack.  Then they were good passes.

I guess we'll know next week at the mini camp.  If Connor Hughes gets hit in the mouth with his first pass, I'll be impressed with Hack

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

"He can't hit the ocean."

"He'll never make it."

Nobody, "agenda" or not, makes those statements within the organization unless it is obvious.

Sheldumb believes the job is a two horse race between McCown and Petty.

According to reporters, he was missing receivers in ugly fashion, hitting defenders regularly...

Remarkable how many will need to see it for themselves in August before believing it.  As of his dreadful performance last August will do a complete 180.

Source of those quotes? Got it. "Anonymous".

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Dan Leberfeld

I think the Jets should give Hack a $10,000 bonus for every pass that hits a reporter, $20,000 if it hits him in the head.  + $100,000 extra for any "bounce" pass that hits Mehta square in the balls.   Oh wait... Mehta doesn't have any ba.....   never mind

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

"So, wait. you WANT me to over throw these guys? Well sh*t it must be my lucky day, I can do that!" :rolleyes:

But no seriously, I think you're right about that drill, context means quite a bit in football, but especially football practice.

What we're seeing is how the national football media makes its bank in June- or hell how they do it in general; regurgitating points made by a local source or two and fitting it into a broader team narrative.

Hack might not do sh*t all year, or maybe he does decently, but regardless of that we have to remember these early reports need to be taken with a Utah desert's worth of salt. Its easy to get caught in a frenzy.

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

I know we all like to poke fun, or ridicule it our own way -- but honestly -- is that not a question we ought to be asking, overtly? 

yes.  He placed a much higher (too high) value on Hackenberg's freshman and too little on the mess that followed.  Maybe his former boss O'brien kept saying good things about him.  He must have surmised that the rest of Hackenberg's college blooper reel was attributable to the consequences of Sandusky. And in the draft, O'Brien in Houston passed on Hackenberg. He had the opportunity right before the Jets picked, but the Texans drafted a guard.  His team needed a QB too.  Another Mac misdiagnosis.

What??? How can he hit reporters on sideline passes??? Let's kill the kid in the media!

Regardless, if you can't impress in OTAs, you can't do it in a game. Real question is, did Mac not do any workouts with this kid? If he's so bad as advertised, and truth be told I have nothing else to base it upon since we never let him take a snap, how did Mac come out of those workouts thinking "Bowles, I think we have found a gem of a QB. I'll blow him if I have to to come play for us". 

The Fitz re-signing was just the tip of the iceberg. What we are witnessing is incredibly insane. To have Idzik, only to have him be succeeded by Mac. 

Whatever way out of the NFL.  Neither will even be on a roster a year from now

Well pettys contract is up in '18 so your pretty accurate on that but Hackenberg probably stays as a #3 or backup, especially while Mac is here. There are alot of pretty lame duck backups in the NFL so that won't play into wether he goes or not.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

17 hours ago, Dcat said:

I think the Jets should give Hack a $10,000 bonus for every pass that hits a reporter, $20,000 if it hits him in the head.  + $100,000 extra for any "bounce" pass that hits Mehta square in the balls.   Oh wait... Mehta doesn't have any ba.....   never mind

what if he puts one into a locker?

From Rich Cimini:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69269/unlikeliest-sb-lii-matchup-jets-vs-49ers-and-you-wont-believe-the-odds

10. Confessions of a sideline reporter: Yep, I was the guy who encountered a Hackenberg pass last week at practice. With a phone in one hand and a notebook in the other, I was able to use my forearm to block a low sideline pass that hit damp grass and skipped like a stone on water. End of story. Can we stop the hysteria, please?

23 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

From Rich Cimini:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69269/unlikeliest-sb-lii-matchup-jets-vs-49ers-and-you-wont-believe-the-odds

10. Confessions of a sideline reporter: Yep, I was the guy who encountered a Hackenberg pass last week at practice. With a phone in one hand and a notebook in the other, I was able to use my forearm to block a low sideline pass that hit damp grass and skipped like a stone on water. End of story. Can we stop the hysteria, please?

Wait, so the ball hit the ground and then bounced up and hit someone on the sideline?

This is a story?

Archived