Why did Hackenberg become a punching bag for the media?

k-met57

seriously, no one deserves this sh*t (well maybe Geno did). a bunch of grown men being grade school bullies. seriously we all know the exact same things about his ability to play in the NFL.

listen to this about his hitting reporters on the sideline with passes. the worst of it is that if he becomes a franchise QB, they dont even have to eat crow. just move on to someone else.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow I could not have said that better myself.  I never disliked Kimberly Jones but now I'm a fan of hers for calling out all these loser reporters who jump and exaggerate on anything they can.  The poor kid has done nothing wrong and consistently gets sh*tted on.  The kid is 22 years old give him a break.  He didn't ask to get picked in the 2nd round.  Saddest part of all of this is if he was picked in the 5th round no one would be saying a thing about him.  Let him learn.

If there's one thing the media knows how to do, its get attention and rile people up. Look at these boards every time there is a negative Hackenberg post, half the fan base acts like they won the SB, and we get 25 pages. Media has their finger on the pulse of the fan base, they know how to get people going.

24 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

Wow I could not have said that better myself.  I never disliked Kimberly Jones but now I'm a fan of hers for calling out all these loser reporters who jump and exaggerate on anything they can.  The poor kid has done nothing wrong and consistently gets sh*tted on.  The kid is 22 years old give him a break.  He didn't ask to get picked in the 2nd round.  Saddest part of all of this is if he was picked in the 5th round no one would be saying a thing about him.  Let him learn.

Is any of this a surprise, in today's world of fake news.  Controversy sells more papers and gets more viewers than being positive. Also Hackenberg represents a lot of things the media hates, namely:

1. He's a Jet 
  2. He's from Penn State
  3. He's a clean cut middle, or upper middle class white kid
  4. He makes more than most in the media do 

Any one of those things are justification for him to be a punching bag, but four of them together is a mortal sin in their eyes.

They'll never be satisfied with anything he does and our hyper critical self-loathing fan base falls right line with them.

I love the Jets, but hate all the crap that surrounds them.

14 minutes ago, MTJ06 said:

Second report today disputing nj.coms story about the passes to reporters, so I guess we do have to wait and see with our own eyes.

I just saw a documentary on Steve Young where he threw twice as many interceptions his first year than touchdowns. Can you imagine if that happens to Hackenberg and how much pressure he and the Jets will be under to replace him?  The kid has skills, let's hope he shows it on the field and he doesn't let the bastards drag him down.  So hard to be a young QB in NY.

Who gives a f**k anyway, a few passes in OTA's in June that bounced short and out of bounds, grazing an idiot on the sideline. Big whoop.

I am sure Cindy never threw a pass short that bounced to the sidelines right?

New OC, new system, some new receivers, this is much ado about nothing.

5 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Who gives a f**k anyway, a few passes in OTA's in June that bounced short and out of bounds, grazing an idiot on the sideline. Big whoop.

I am sure Cindy never threw a pass short that bounced to the sidelines right?

New OC, new system, some new receivers, this is much ado about nothing.

Don't know, there are a few self reach arounds going on round here that say otherwise.

41 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Don't know, there are a few self reach arounds going on round here that say otherwise.

Agreed, but why are they all so hopeful that Hack fails? I just don't get that.

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

seriously, no one deserves this sh*t (well maybe Geno did). a bunch of grown men being grade school bullies. seriously we all know the exact same things about his ability to play in the NFL.

listen to this about his hitting reporters on the sideline with passes. the worst of it is that if he becomes a franchise QB, they dont even have to eat crow. just move on to someone else.

Sports writers - easiest job on planet earth. And yes, everyone is a negative know-it-all dick now. Leave the kid alone and let him play.

For the answer, I checked the New Testament, and this is what I came up with:

THE GODLESS JETS MEDIA who handed HACKENBERG over to his soldiers to be crucified, repeatedly said that he didn’t think HACKENBERG was guilty of any crime. After examining HACKENBERG he declared, “I find no basis for a charge against this man” (Luke 23:4).

And yet THE GODLESS JETS MEDIA eventually gave in to the pressure of those who wanted HACKENBERG killed. Why? The only logical answer is that THE GODLESS JETS MEDIA was a morally weak person, and instead of standing for the truth, he was only concerned about himself and his future. One of the false charges against HACKENBERG was that He wanted to lead an armed revolt against COLLEGE FOOTBALL and set Himself up as king. When THE GODLESS JETS MEDIA tried to set HACKENBERG free, HACKENBERG's opponents “kept shouting, ‘If you let this man go, you are no friend of JETS FANS’ ” (John 19:12). Fearful of his position, THE GODLESS JETS MEDIA caved in and ordered HACKENBERG’s death.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

For the answer, I checked the New Testament, and this is what I came up with:

THE GODLESS JETS MEDIA who handed HACKENBERG over to his soldiers to be crucified, repeatedly said that he didn’t think HACKENBERG was guilty of any crime. After examining HACKENBERG he declared, “I find no basis for a charge against this man” (Luke 23:4).

And yet THE GODLESS JETS MEDIA eventually gave in to the pressure of those who wanted HACKENBERG killed. Why? The only logical answer is that THE GODLESS JETS MEDIA was a morally weak person, and instead of standing for the truth, he was only concerned about himself and his future. One of the false charges against HACKENBERG was that He wanted to lead an armed revolt against COLLEGE FOOTBALL and set Himself up as king. When THE GODLESS JETS MEDIA tried to set HACKENBERG free, HACKENBERG's opponents “kept shouting, ‘If you let this man go, you are no friend of JETS FANS’ ” (John 19:12). Fearful of his position, THE GODLESS JETS MEDIA caved in and ordered HACKENBERG’s death.

I feel sorry for this kid.

We should get a better feel for where Hack is next week at the mini camp.  if I'm not mistaken all 3 days are open to the media.  If McCown continues to get 2-1 reps over the kids, if they hide Hack as much as possible like they did last year, or if he comes out and just looks bad, then the criticism will appear to be justified.

If he comes out and gets substantial reps, shows marked improvement over last year, even if he still looks green, but looks like he belongs, shows consistency and he seems to  understands what's going on, I'll feel a lot better about the situation.

This QB situation has been handled horribly by the Jets, and IMO the bad handling is continuing by giving McCown twice as many reps as the young guy.  It should be the opposite.  The young guys should be getting the reps.  Both are at a point where they either sink or swim.  Here's hoping one of these guys are given a chance , and show they can be the guy moving forward   

16 minutes ago, flgreen said:

We should get a better feel for where Hack is next week at the mini camp.  if I'm not mistaken all 3 days are open to the media.  If McCown continues to get 2-1 reps over the kids, if they hide Hack as much as possible like they did last year, or if he comes out and just looks bad, then the criticism will appear to be justified.

If he comes out and gets substantial reps, shows marked improvement over last year, even if he still looks green, but looks like he belongs, shows consistency and he seems to  understands what's going on, I'll feel a lot better about the situation.

This QB situation has been handled horribly by the Jets, and IMO the bad handling is continuing by giving McCown twice as many reps as the young guy.  It should be the opposite.  The young guys should be getting the reps.  Both are at a point where they either sink or swim.  Here's hoping one of these guys are given a chance , and show they can be the guy moving forward   

Agreed. They've gotten so gun-shy on a number of levels that they've made quite a mess of it. Like I said before, let's give it the pre-season before passing final judgment. I want to see the whole trajectory of just that before jumping on the bandwagon to declare him a bust. Right now there is frankly almost nothing available to make a clear determination of  his capability. Many of the excuses for him will no longer be relevant by that juncture.

10 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Journalism is dead in this country.

40 minutes ago, flgreen said:

And if he does poorly there, we can all agree it doesn't count.

29 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

if i am the jets and i keep hearing this sh*t, the media is going to need zoom lenses to see the next pass Hack throws.

That is exactly what's going on, and it's a mistake.  Makes it harder for the media to do their jobs, and makes them mad.  if they have a hard time doing their jobs they are just going to make things up, give Hack even more negative stories, and put tons of pressure on him.  It's time, he's got to step up, and take things out of Bowles hands and prove he has a future in the NFL.  If he doesn't McCown is going to start, IMO that's who Bowles wants to save his job, Hack/Pety aren't going to get a fair chance, and the jets will draft a QB very early next year.  For all practical purposes the Hack era will be over before it began.

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

That is exactly what's going on, and it's a mistake.  Makes it harder for the media to do their jobs, and makes them mad.  if they have a hard time doing their jobs they are just going to make things up, give Hack even more negative stories, and put tons of pressure on him.  It's time, he's got to step up, and take things out of Bowles hands and prove he has a future in the NFL.  If he doesn't McCown is going to start, IMO that's who Bowles wants to save his job, Hack/Pety aren't going to get a fair chance, and the jets will draft a QB very early next year.  For all practical purposes the Hack era will be over before it began.

Exactly. Easiest way for Hackenberg to kill this storyline is to go out and not suck. Kinda gross watching people try and blame a media narrative for reporting on something that's easily observable and quantifiable. 

11 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Is any of this a surprise, in today's world of fake news.  Controversy sells more papers and gets more viewers than being positive. Also Hackenberg represents a lot of things the media hates, namely:

1. He's a Jet 
  2. He's from Penn State
  3. He's a clean cut middle, or upper middle class white kid
  4. He makes more than most in the media do 

Any one of those things are justification for him to be a punching bag, but four of them together is a mortal sin in their eyes.

They'll never be satisfied with anything he does and our hyper critical self-loathing fan base falls right line with them.

I love the Jets, but hate all the crap that surrounds them.

And being picked in the 2nd round with a 4th round body of work and to date not so hot performances in TC have nothing to do with it.

17 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I thank the media for being honest.  Hack sucks and so does Kimberley Jones for trying to hide that.

If you listen to her, she didn't rebut anything that was said, and in fact corroborated that Hackenberg was bad. She just offered a weird series of detached anecdotes about why Hackenberg sucking isn't a death knell, and closed with, "we should be nicer to him." 

Archived