Why did Hackenberg become a punching bag for the media?

k-met57

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Getting alot of "im hating on Hackenberg before we know". This is his information going back to highschool. The video is a breakdown of the entire 2016 class, and Hackenbergs starts at the 9:30 min mark. 

Love "paper" analysis. These are the true geniuses of player analysis. Throw out numbers and prosper.

On 6/15/2017 at 6:40 PM, Gastineau Lives said:

I cannot wait until Hackenberg becomes a Glennon-level talent and we pass on Sam Darnold to draft a cornerback.

If Darnold turns out to be what he is projected to be and we actually wind up with the #1 pick there is almost no chance we do not take him since we will be coming off of a 2 or 3 win season. If we did pass it would be for 3 #1s and a lot else. And for us to pass Hackenberg would have to have passed for like 4000 yards 35 TDs and 12 INTs, but then again if he does that no way do we only win 2 or 3 games.

So, if Darnold is there and develops like expected we pick him period.

14 hours ago, johnnysd said:

You are definitely a strong candidate for worst poster on this board. Everyone says stupid crap sometimes, but all you do is bring down every thread with your unreasoned hatred of Petty and Hack.

Supposedly Deshaun Watson and Deshone Kizer have both been looking good in OTAs

12 minutes ago, thadude said:

Supposedly Deshaun Watson and Deshone Kizer have both been looking good in OTAs

The same has been said of that PSU QB selected last year by the Jets and at a 2nd round PRICE TAG that's cheaper in its 2nd year than what Kizer will earn in '18 by $28K!! :mellow: . . . let alone WAY cheaper than whatever over-drafted Watson will be remunerated with at a heftier 1st round price tag. 

7 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Love "paper" analysis. These are the true geniuses of player analysis. Throw out numbers and prosper.

Well his grading criteria is Completion Percentage and TD/INT ratio. Favre would have sucked under that grading systems. YPA is much more valid in assessing a QB but its only a single stat.

19 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

#theyarentworthadamn

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Well his grading criteria is Completion Percentage and TD/INT ratio. Favre would have sucked under that grading systems. YPA is much more valid in assessing a QB but its only a single stat.

Any chance you mathletes can provide a piece of evidence (considering all statistical analysis is inapplicable to CBH) that those fortunate few on The Hack Bus might look to for encouragement? 

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Any chance you mathletes can provide a piece of evidence (considering all statistical analysis is inapplicable to CBH) that those fortunate few on The Hack Bus might look to for encouragement? 

Encouragement?? There is no hope, none. You and Batesman have impeccable records with QB predictions, and you both have spoke re Hack. The Bus is a non starter thanks to you two.

Hackenberg is  like Jimmy Clausen; everyone who dealt with him in college (spare O"Brien) strongly believed based on how he behaved he was and is a complete douchebag. That reputation didn't materialize out of nowhere; it had a basis in facts. His pigmentation and background have nothing to do with it. In fairness doesn't mean he cannot become a good NFL QB. There are a lot of great QBs who weren't wonderful people.

But this franchise did him no favors with the redshirt thing. And even had he played, not sure how you learn to run an NFL offense being scared sheetless to pass the ball. Again, more reasons that what ever Hackenberg or Petty's failings, not finding out if they could play in 2016 was an organizational disgrace that can be laid at the feet of Todd Bowles. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Hackenberg will fail almost any sabremetrics type analysis. But he has elite size, arm strength, along with elite work ethic, football intelligence, pedigree and overall natural QB talent. He was poorly coached and needs to fix mechanics. His upside is Top 5 in the NFL. His downside is out of the NFL by 25. But we are hearing progress. I think the scale is tipping towards upside,

16 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Hackenberg is  like Jimmy Clausen; everyone who dealt with him in college (spare O"Brien) strongly believed based on how he behaved he was and is a complete douchebag. That reputation didn't materialize out of nowhere; it had a basis in facts. His pigmentation and background have nothing to do with it. In fairness doesn't mean he cannot become a good NFL QB. There are a lot of great QBs who weren't wonderful people.

But this franchise did him no favors with the redshirt thing. And even had he played, not sure how you learn to run an NFL offense being scared sheetless to pass the ball. Again, more reasons that what ever Hackenberg or Petty's failings, not finding out if they could play in 2016 was an organizational disgrace that can be laid at the feet of Todd Bowles. 

I've never once heard anyone say he was a douchebag. Not saying it's not true, but always heard he was a good kid.

11 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

So, are you telling me that he did no work with any trainer during the season last year????

I'll do myself a favor dismiss myself now. :-) 

Correct... most of the time during the season is spent in books and learning the offense.... most qbs barely practice in season

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Hackenberg is  like Jimmy Clausen; everyone who dealt with him in college (spare O"Brien) strongly believed based on how he behaved he was and is a complete douchebag.

Never heard anything like that about him in the program. His teammates actually loved him. 

This would be news to me, so please share links.

17 hours ago, NoBowles said:

I've never once heard anyone say he was a douchebag. Not saying it's not true, but always heard he was a good kid.

The only thing I heard/saw was Gruden not loving his "it wasn't my fault"-ish reply once during his 1-on-1 last year. That's about it, though, and while Gruden or others may not have liked the answer of his passing the blame (there or in person when meeting with teams) may very well have helped him get drafted 1-3 rounds earlier. Where we took him (middle third of round 2) was realistically as early as he was going to get drafted, so he may have done the right thing for himself in terms of a higher draft slot (getting drafted by the Jets in that higher slot is a separate matter, though).

I didn't exactly follow his college career, but I don't recall hearing of him having a reputation for being a tool to his teammates. 

41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The only thing I heard/saw was Gruden not loving his "it wasn't my fault" reply once during his 1-on-1 last year. That's about it, though, and while Gruden or others may not have liked the answer his passing the blame (there or in person when meeting with teams) may very well have helped him get drafted 1-3 rounds earlier. Where we took him (middle third of round 2) was realistically as early as he was going to get drafted, so he may have done the right thing for himself in terms of a higher draft slot (getting drafted by the Jets in that higher slot is a separate matter, though).

I didn't exactly follow his college career, but I don't recall hearing of him having a reputation for being a tool to his teammates. 

Yeah, I heard some people say he was laying the blame of his mistakes on others, but I also heard him say he did plenty wrong and had plenty to work on himself.

If he is a douche, I'd love to know about it, I'd love to hate him and root for him to fail like everyone else.

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

Yeah, I heard some people say he was laying the blame of his mistakes on others, but I also heard him say he did plenty wrong and had plenty to work on himself.

If he is a douche, I'd love to know about it, I'd love to hate him and root for him to fail like everyone else.

He got taken in the 2nd round, so passing the blame was at least a completed pass of sorts.

17 hours ago, Bugg said:

Hackenberg was given the choice to abandon PSU after the sanctions came down with ZERO penalty (sitting out a year). He could have gone to any number of schools and played behind a team with all their scholarships, instead he stayed and PSU and probably lost a ton of money in the draft due to that decision to stay loyal to PSU. 

If that makes him a douchebag in your eyes, so be it. Hack was frustrated towards the end of his run at PSU due to numerous factors. He was beloved by the fans and anyone that knew anything about the situation. 

From his scouting report on NFL.Com:

"Twice voted team captain and has displayed leadership qualities from time he stepped on campus."

From his scouting report on Walterfootball:

• Toughness
  • Delivers passes while taking hits
  • Has played hurt
  • Football I.Q.
  • Good teammate
  • Leadership

•  

Such a douchebag!

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Hackenberg was given the choice to abandon PSU after the sanctions came down with ZERO penalty (sitting out a year). He could have gone to any number of schools and played behind a team with all their scholarships, instead he stayed and PSU and probably lost a ton of money in the draft due to that decision to stay loyal to PSU. 

If that makes him a douchebag in your eyes, so be it. Hack was frustrated towards the end of his run at PSU due to numerous factors. He was beloved by the fans and anyone that knew anything about the situation. 

"Twice voted team captain and has displayed leadership qualities from time he stepped on campus."

• Toughness
  • Has played hurt
  • Football I.Q.
  • Good teammate
  • Leadership

•  

Such a douchebag!

He plays qb like a douchebag

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not too indifferent from the manner you post.

Gonna answer the Op:

1. He sucks (terribly)

2. Was a second round pick when he would have been there in the 5th round probably

3. Hits reporters in the head instead of receivers in the chest

4. Was drafted over Dak Prescott

5. Plays for the jets

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

• Toughness
  • Has played hurt
  • Football I.Q.
  • Good teammate
  • Leadership

•  

Such a douchebag!

Again, known a number of my sons' friends who went to camps at PSU. EVERYONE there at those camps-coaches, players, support staff, trainers, black,white, defense, offense-said Hackenberg was a spoiled whiny bitch. You can discount that an unscientific hearsay, but even with the worst of people opinions vary; not with Hackenberg. Simply MacCagnan took his pal O'Brien's opinion over anyone else's. Grant you the probation and switch to Franklin was certainly a disruption. But as per all of the links you can find, Hackenberg badmouthed Franklin to pro scouts, which bespeaks a lack of maturity. 

2 hours ago, thadude said:

Gonna answer the Op:

1. He sucks (terribly)

2. Was a second round pick when he would have been there in the 5th round probably

3. Hits reporters in the head instead of receivers in the chest

4. Was drafted over Dak Prescott

5. Plays for the jets

Just because you say things a million times, does not make them true.

When you say things such as "X would have happened, probably" you bring down the collective iq of the site. 

Just saying.

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Again, known a number of my sons' friends who went to camps at PSU. EVERYONE there at those camps-coaches, players, support staff, trainers, black,white, defense, offense-said Hackenberg was a spoiled whiny bitch. You can discount that an unscientific hearsay, but even with the worst of people opinions vary; not with Hackenberg. Simply MacCagnan took his pal O'Brien's opinion over anyone else's. Grant you the probation and switch to Franklin was certainly a disruption. But as per all of the links you can find, Hackenberg badmouthed Franklin to pro scouts, which bespeaks a lack of maturity. 

Would a "spoiled whiny, bitch" put himself, voluntarily into a situation that will probably not serve his best interest? That is what Hackenberg did. He had many, many other top programs wanting him in their programs. And, it would have been very easy for him to jump ship, and take the easy road. No one would have blamed him. He stayed the tough course.

As far as Franklin, I can't say what he said to coaches. I was not there. He was probably very frustrated with his situation, and if he said those things, he was wrong. But you know what, as a fan of the program, I was saying the same things. The fanbase wanted his scalp on a stick.

People with little intestinal fortitude generally run away from potential problems. Hack did not. Empirical evidence shows that Hack is not a wilting violet that stays from the heat. 

Also, has anyone seen any quote from him regarding treatment from the press as he has been a Jet? Think many of the more recent Jet qb's would handle that scrutiny in such a manner?

Archived