A Case for Extending Richardson

Dunnie

This is a long shot fairy tale ... but seeing as it's the longest part of the off season I can tell by the other threads posted lately that anything goes.

What IF we extended sheldon to a decently valued 3 year extension.

I think this would allow us to truly try and compete this year ... if we go 8 and 8 ... we could package Sheldon with our first round pick to move up next year. If we suck bad as expected ... no harm no foul ... we have a talented DL. If we are awesome ... we could trade or keep him because we will have found our QB and his name will be Hackenburg.

The idea is that if Sheldon is already under contract at a good price ... he will be much more attractive on the trade market.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, Dunnie said:

i was thinking more along the lines of 24-27 million for three years

He won't take that.  Not with his ego

The jets are going to start the season 3-3 because of the easier part of the schedule.  Wackagnan will be in full gloat mode and extend Richardson mid-season

The jets are going to start the season 3-3 because of the easier part of the schedule.  Wackagnan will be in full gloat mode and extend Richardson mid-season

But you must admit that the case for extension is compelling. But i agree it must be reasonably affordable.

Best case is as insurance for Mo slacking another year after his big contract - option to trade Mo this year or cut him next year if Sheldon is signed and can keep himself out of trouble

I don't really agree ... richardson should not be on the team next year in a best case scenario ... where Mo regains his form. I just hope to somehow get value for the smoker.

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I don't really agree ... richardson should not be on the team next year in a best case scenario ... where Mo regains his form. I just hope to somehow get value for the smoker.

That's cool, it would be great to see Mo regain his form, (I would like to see that too) I just think Sheldon provides competition for Mo and that is valuable, especially after last year, very surprised to see Mo mail it in but it seems like that was the team thing to do last year

The Jets can't afford to keep Mo at $18-20M per year playing like he did last year

18 hours ago, flgreen said:

Problem is, he'll be looking for $18-20 M.  He got all involved in the Wilkerson contract.  How do you think he's going to deal with his contract?

Lol really. He just saw Mo get $17m/year after a 12-sack season. Now suddenly Richardson - whose value has never been lower - is going to take 3 years at $8m?

Sheldon could have a repeat of 2016 and get more than $8m and I'm fairly certain he knows it. Just because other teams aren't willing to cough up a draft pick for the opportunity doesn't mean one or two wouldn't shell out money for him as a FA.

21 hours ago, Dunnie said:

i was thinking more along the lines of 24-27 million for three years

There is no way he takes that.    A real extension would take so much guarenteed money that it would be very hard to trade him within 2 years without a massive cap hit.

He's making more than 8 now.

There is not a strong market for him. Based on what we've heard Mac has been trying to trade him for months. The thing is can Bowles get him to play at his talent level and not be a distraction or a problem in the locker room. Maybe a one year inexpensive extension. If he doesn't cooperate get rid of him but I'd give him a chance for now. 

On 6/11/2017 at 10:40 AM, hokiejetfan92 said:

Well the media will tear the Jets and Maccagnan apart for trying to trade Richardson, not getting a reasonable offer, and then resigning him after. Didn't they do that with Sanchize after the Peyton Manning sweepstakes were lost

Somewhat different situation. The Sanchez contract was indefensible because he was under contract and the only reason for the extension was to soothe his ego (if he had one)

Extending Sheldon would be just as bad, but in a different way. He's the ultimate pay me player. He'll have a very good season so he can get paid and his contract will be an albatross around whatever team signs him. The Jets killed any market for him last season by playing him out of position which made his play not worth his off the field issues as well as gave him a league wide rep as a locker room problem.

So now he's a plays when he wants to locker room problem with off the field issues and a suspension history so while he'll end up getting a decent FA contract...no one is going to trade for him.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol really. He just saw Mo get $17m/year after a 12-sack season. Now suddenly Richardson - whose value has never been lower - is going to take 3 years at $8m?

Sheldon could have a repeat of 2016 and get more than $8m and I'm fairly certain he knows it. Just because other teams aren't willing to cough up a draft pick for the opportunity doesn't mean one or two wouldn't shell out money for him as a FA.

yep he knows it.  His quote out of OTA's "Gotta get stats man,contract year".

Sheldon is going to be a good boy, and have a great year, get his monster contract, then get suspended for 10 games next year, or just go to sleep.  They'll be another contract year.  "Not a contract year man, gotta save myself"

They seem to be cleaning house on the guys who contributed to the overall negativity in the locker room last year. They'll keep him for now because maybe they can trade him mid-season to a team looking for a good d-lineman or failing that he can maybe (stress maybe) net them a Comp pick as they let him hit free agency. But I can't see a scenario where he's on the team next year- especially when he's so expendable thanks to Leo.

More importantly there's no way he's taking a contract that low- not for three years.

Its best for everybody involved if Richardson signed elsewhere.

28 minutes ago, flgreen said:

yep he knows it.  His quote out of OTA's "Gotta get stats man,contract year".

Sheldon is going to be a good boy, and have a great year, get his monster contract, then get suspended for 10 games next year, or just go to sleep.  They'll be another contract year.  "Not a contract year man, gotta save myself"

I almost feel sorry for the team that Sheldumb cons into giving him a big contract

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the Jets found a way to rid themselves of the contracts of Richardson, Forte and Mclendon .

Richardson - what's the point?  He has only 1 year left

Forte -. I'm with you. Another terrible signing by Macc but we save no cap room by cutting him

McClendon - his contract is actually not bad

hes going to the highest bidder. i bet this is his best year not only because its his contract year but hes not going to play out of position. at the end of the year if i was a gm id offer him 12 mil contract with incentives on sacks that way u can motivate his dumb a ss, but like i said he will get more money elsewhere

On 6/11/2017 at 11:33 AM, thadude said:

whether you like shelly or not, the jets defense played better when shelly was paired with leo.  they played worse when shelly, leo and wilk were on the field.  shelly can be an serious impact player when he gets his mind made up.  his issue is always having something to say and doing stupid things like driving very fast and smoking weed.  imo the only way keeping shelly works is if they can somehow launch wilk.  another season like last season and wilk should be out the door regardless.

whether you like shelly or not, the jets defense played better when shelly was paired with leo.  they played worse when shelly, leo and wilk were on the field.  shelly can be an serious impact player when he gets his mind made up.  his issue is always having something to say and doing stupid things like driving very fast and smoking weed.  imo the only way keeping shelly works is if they can somehow launch wilk.  another season like last season and wilk should be out the door regardless.

launching wilkerson in favor of richardson would be make forest gump look like a genius.

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

they played worse when shelly, leo and wilk were on the field.  

Yeah because they were playing a 4-3 alignment which the roster is not suited for OR Sheldumb was playing OLB which is a massive mistake by Bowles.  Wilk decided to quit playing football once he got the asinine payday

Macagnan will give Bowles a RIDICULOUS extension.  Only a matter of time.

Positive:-

He's a rotation guy (Not starting over Mo or Leo, snap count) This should keep his demands lower.

He's Motivated (contract year).

Negatives:-

Guys one positive test from a big ban.

He's deluded wants $100 mill. He's also not the sharpest pencil in the box.

Bottom line, he's traded during the season, and we get a 4th? - Or he plays out his contract, he gets mid range money $65-75 Mill. We get no comp pick, since next year we have $70 mill and spend like Montgomery Brewster.

Archived