Parting Ways After 29 Years

southtown24th

16 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

I don't think the Jets will ever be competitive as long as Johnson owns the team.  Posts like the OP's may vary on the details, and his is complicated by his move to LA.  But it was clear enough to me he was also talking about his dad. I get it.  I understand it.

Doesnt matter where you move, you stay loyal to your team no matter what. I moved to NC 20 years ago, still a fan till the end. Sounds like the OP needs attention, go get laid dude.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I think we need an archive for all of these goodbye threads, could be interesting to see how they look over time, seems to be a few every year, new OP (sometimes), same story (most times, Vick was an exception), similar responses, support or GFY from the faithful

some entertainment but feels like a remake of an old classic 

I also think that if people make these dumb threads about saying goodbye, then they should be banned from the site....They are leaving anyway, who cares?

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Stub hub has slaughtered the value of owning season tickets, especially factoring in PSLs. The model needs to change or the extra/exclusive benefits need to be dramatically increased to swing the value proposition back on the side of owning season tickets.

Just my opinion, not knocking anyone who made a different choice for themselves.

This is true, but only in down years when no one, not even the PSL owners, want to attend games.  Things were very different in 2009, 2010, and 2011 where even bad games were hard to come by and those that were on the market were above face value.

An important point that gets lost sometimes:  Stubhub led to many people getting PSL's, don't forget that.  I myself, had I known that there was no way to move seats to games I could not attend, I don't think I would have committed to them.  The PSL money was chump-change, $16,000.  The 30 year commitment to over $200,000 in tickets and parking is what made me take a pause before buying, but Stubhub was there, an easy way to make back some of the money even in bad years, so Stubhub made the decision easy.

SAR I

15 hours ago, southtown24th said:

I hear you brother.  It wasn't my call, ultimately, but I do not blame my father one bit for finally cutting bait (financially) with this franchise.  It's going to happen.

Welll can't blame your father, he probably looked at it as a bonding thing with him, and his sons.  Both you guys are now in Calif.  Not the same thing for him.

2 hours ago, BleedinGreenNC said:

I also think that if people make these dumb threads about saying goodbye, then they should be banned from the site....They are leaving anyway, who cares?

Banned from the site?

LOL really?

On 6/12/2017 at 7:18 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm a jets fan, not a fan of posters that constantly bash the team I love. I defend the jets when they go for it with Fitz and I'll defend the rebuild. I've been a jets fan for over 30 years. All the losing hasn't turned me into a hater like you. 

It's not like your constant jets bashing is productive or welcomed by many of us here either. 

Hyperbole much? "Hater?"  In your narrow little mind, anyone who criticizes the job done by the Jets FO and Owner is a "hater".  Newsflash: they deserve every ounce of criticism, mockery and any other form of expressed disdain for their incompetency. And I'm a fan since the 1960s, so your 30 years is nothing to boast about. 30 yrs? Big deal. Nobody is impressed. I've got more than 40. No it's quite clear that your mission is to bash anyone here for any harsh criticism levied against the Jets  feeble minded owner, the clueless HC and the young GM under whose moves the team has become worse.

18 hours ago, flgreen said:

IDK

I live in Florida, and my ice cream melts way to fast.  Perhaps you should have a conversation with who ever is your ice cream supplier.

Does  she have an insurance policy on you.  

Man dont get me started this goes much further than just the not melting thing...you ever notice how they switch from Gallons to Litters back to gallons or 1.23 gallons vs 1.12 gallons all the while I'm getting FCKd out my dollars and cents...you know what FCK Them...I have had it!

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Hyperbole much? "Hater?"  In your narrow little mind, anyone who criticizes the job done by the Jets FO and Owner is a "hater".  Newsflash: they deserve every ounce of criticism, mockery and any other form of expressed disdain for their incompetency. And I'm a fan since the 1960s, so your 30 years is nothing to boast about. 30 yrs? Big deal. Nobody is impressed. I've got more than 40. No it's quite clear that your mission is to bash anyone here for any harsh criticism levied against the Jets  feeble minded owner, the clueless HC and the young GM under whose moves the team has become worse.

This team can beat the enthusiasm out of the best of us...............

Golf buddy told me he went to Vegas and took the odds on the JETS in the superbowl. Said for $5 he would win $5,000,000.

I told him he wasted $5. :)

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:54 PM, southtown24th said:

We have had season tickets since 1988--went with my Dad, brother and Uncle all throughout the 90s (in my youth), enjoyed the "runs" of 1998 and the 2000s and my last great memory of the Jets was being at the AFC Championship Game in Pittsburgh with my Dad in 2010...and we all know how that ended...in TRUE JETS FASHION...

My brother moved to LA in 2006, I moved to LA in 2013 and my Dad held on for the past 4 years piecing it together...last season he could not GIVE THE TICKETS AWAY when he could not attend--no friends would join him FOR FREE because of the product on the field--and he was just taking a financial beating year in and year out on the tickets, the preseason games and with little to no success on the field to speak of, my Dad getting older (pushing 70), it was time for our family to move on...I have no regrets or reservations about the decision.  My brother in law (sister married a Die Hard Jets fan in December) did not even want the tickets or show any interest in taking on the STH despite being an avid Jets fan and avid sports fanatic...that told us everything we needed to know about the value of these seats at this point in the game.

This franchise will always be my #1 and have the top spot in my heart and mind when it comes to sports fanhood...with that being said, they make it so ******* hard to hang on year in and year out through all of the HORRIBLE, DESPICABLE, DISGUSTING seasons where the product on the field is absolutely putrid.  As a result, my Dad will have to eat the $8,000.00 PSL fee he shelled out how ever many years ago...but it's best for him and us to cut bait now.   

Woody Johnson destroyed what little respectability this franchise had and there is no sign or harbinger of him parting ways with this organization any time soon.  We are the Cleveland Browns--maybe one step above, but that's it.  

There comes a crossroad in everyone's life (especially when your next of kin live across the country) when a tough decision has to be made and this was the best decision for my family.  We are not looking back or second guessing any part of it...it's the right time to walk away from this franchise financially...we will not be walking away emotionally but, these sunny Southern CA Fall/Winter Sundays significantly decrease the emotional attachment as the days go on... 

Good riddance.

the franchise has been MUCH better with Woody Johnson as owner than they were w/ Leon Hess.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

the franchise has been MUCH better with Woody Johnson as owner than they were w/ Leon Hess.

A  Few playoff runs on fumes.... but here we are.... one of the worst 3 teams in the NFL.

absent 2009 and 2010 we are nothing.  No one in this country respects the NY Jets. No one.

On 6/12/2017 at 2:54 PM, southtown24th said:

We have had season tickets since 1988--went with my Dad, brother and Uncle all throughout the 90s (in my youth), enjoyed the "runs" of 1998 and the 2000s and my last great memory of the Jets was being at the AFC Championship Game in Pittsburgh with my Dad in 2010...and we all know how that ended...in TRUE JETS FASHION...

My brother moved to LA in 2006, I moved to LA in 2013 and my Dad held on for the past 4 years piecing it together...last season he could not GIVE THE TICKETS AWAY when he could not attend--no friends would join him FOR FREE because of the product on the field--and he was just taking a financial beating year in and year out on the tickets, the preseason games and with little to no success on the field to speak of, my Dad getting older (pushing 70), it was time for our family to move on...I have no regrets or reservations about the decision.  My brother in law (sister married a Die Hard Jets fan in December) did not even want the tickets or show any interest in taking on the STH despite being an avid Jets fan and avid sports fanatic...that told us everything we needed to know about the value of these seats at this point in the game.

This franchise will always be my #1 and have the top spot in my heart and mind when it comes to sports fanhood...with that being said, they make it so ******* hard to hang on year in and year out through all of the HORRIBLE, DESPICABLE, DISGUSTING seasons where the product on the field is absolutely putrid.  As a result, my Dad will have to eat the $8,000.00 PSL fee he shelled out how ever many years ago...but it's best for him and us to cut bait now.   

Woody Johnson destroyed what little respectability this franchise had and there is no sign or harbinger of him parting ways with this organization any time soon.  We are the Cleveland Browns--maybe one step above, but that's it.  

There comes a crossroad in everyone's life (especially when your next of kin live across the country) when a tough decision has to be made and this was the best decision for my family.  We are not looking back or second guessing any part of it...it's the right time to walk away from this franchise financially...we will not be walking away emotionally but, these sunny Southern CA Fall/Winter Sundays significantly decrease the emotional attachment as the days go on... 

Good riddance.

Quitter

23 hours ago, Warfish said:

You are no doubt aware that the Woody Era has been the Jets best era for "being competitive" outside the singular success of 1969, right?

If not, you might want to take a look. While very up and down, and lacking consistent every-year quality, the Woody Era has undoubtedly been our best in this teams sad history.

So, yeah. 

Those numbers are misleading since he took over a team that had just gone to the Champ game the year before, and was a favorite to go to the SB before Vinny was lost for the season, and still went 8-8 with a Qb search that lasted half the season.  Curtis Martin, one of the best Jets ever, was great for his first seven seasons.  In short the Jets were one of the best teams in the league when Woody bought them, and while it has been some ups with the downs ever since, the overall trend has beyond dispute been down.  Down to where the team is today.

Johnson knows less about football than the average poster here, yet management of the team runs through him.  Several disastrous decisions were either his by commission or omission, and there's no need to repeat them here.  Management openings have increasingly been filled with people with no track record of success since those who have that do not want to work for the Jets.

18 years, and the Jets are what they are today.  Which is the opposite of competitive.  The common factor throughout?  Woody Johnson.

3 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Those numbers are misleading since he took over a team that had just gone to the Champ game the year before, and was a favorite to go to the SB before Vinny was lost for the season, and still went 8-8 with a Qb search that lasted half the season.  Curtis Martin, one of the best Jets ever, was great for his first seven seasons.  In short the Jets were one of the best teams in the league when Woody bought them, and while it has been some ups with the downs ever since, the overall trend has beyond dispute been down.  Down to where the team is today.

Johnson knows less about football than the average poster here, yet management of the team runs through him.  Several disastrous decisions were either his by commission or omission, and there's no need to repeat them here.  Management openings have increasingly been filled with people with no track record of success since those who have that do not want to work for the Jets.

18 years, and the Jets are what they are today.  Which is the opposite of competitive.  The common factor throughout?  Woody Johnson.

Facts are not misleading. Your understanding of them may be where the flaw lies.

But by all means, keep ranting about the one aspect of this franchise there is 0% chance of changing. Catharsis, no matter how ignorant and misguided, is good for the soul. 

Or so I hear.

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

Facts are not misleading. Your understanding of them may be where the flaw lies.

But by all means, keep ranting about the one aspect of this franchise there is 0% chance of changing. Catharsis, no matter how ignorant and misguided, is good for the soul. 

Or so I hear.

My post was coherent, logical, on point, and devoid of anything that any fair minded person not beholden to their own agenda would call ranting.

Since you chose to engage in a personal attack, you indicate you have nothing of value to say on the subject. Other than asserting that Woody's ownership, or more to the point his approach to managing the Jets, is immutable. 

Someday in fact Woody Johnson will no longer own the Jets.  Maybe then they will go to an SB.

Have a nice day.

7 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

My post was coherent, logical, on point, and devoid of anything that any fair minded person not beholden to their own agenda would call ranting.

Since you chose to engage in a personal attack, you indicate you have nothing of value to say on the subject. Other than asserting that Woody's ownership, or more to the point his approach to managing the Jets, is immutable. 

Someday in fact Woody Johnson will no longer own the Jets.  Maybe then they will go to an SB.

Have a nice day.

Cool story bro.

7 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Have a nice day.

I agree with you....   the numbers don't lie.  No playoffs since 2010, no decent drafts since 2007, several coaches, GMs, more QBs than we can count, one season with more than 10 wins....    and while I haven't checked, I'm sure an overall losing record.

we are amongst the worst 3 teams in the NFL and people want to defend Woody?  mind boggling. 

the way we cowed down to Revis, FITZ, Holmes,  gave Sanchez that big contract etc.

Management is the problem here.....

On 6/14/2017 at 11:58 AM, BleedinGreenNC said:

They quit on the team then they quit on everything Jets related, simple as that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The guy plainly states he is no longer supporting the team financially. Whats wrong with that? He refuses to continue paying for an inferior product. He states plainly he will support them emotionally meaning he will still root for them. Whats the problem?

The guy plainly states he is no longer supporting the team financially. Whats wrong with that? He refuses to continue paying for an inferior product. He states plainly he will support them emotionally meaning he will still root for them. Whats the problem?

He is a quitter, that's the problem.
c4194aad3983c42cf4dfe57154e6c74a.jpg

30 minutes ago, BleedinGreenNC said:

He is a quitter, that's the problem.
c4194aad3983c42cf4dfe57154e6c74a.jpg

WTF does that mean? You can't support the Jets unless you spend money on them? That's just ridiculous.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:12 PM, JetFaninMI said:

I feel your pain bro. We had season tix since the last days at Shea and all through the Meadowlands days. Over twenty years. Moved to Michigan for my job and the PSL's put an end to the rest. I still go to Jet games on the road and whenever I can at home. I will be trying to go to the Jets-Browns in Oct. since they will be pretty close and since both teams will truly suck tix will be easy to come by. I will wait and get the lowest possible price as usual because of how bad the product will be. I always try to sit in the Dawg Pound in Cleveland because its an awesome time and they commiserate with us Jet Fans as we have a lot in common. Years of sucktitude and angst. #1 bowl here I come.

I will throw you a bone. Good luck in Cleveland

while we SUCK4SAM.

On 6/16/2017 at 8:10 PM, JetFaninMI said:

WTF does that mean? You can't support the Jets unless you spend money on them? That's just ridiculous.

Where did i say that you cant support them unless you spend money on them? Dont make sh*t up sally. And the thread name is Parting after 29 years, maybe all you crybabies should go root for the Pats.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:28 PM, southparkcpa said:

A  Few playoff runs on fumes.... but here we are.... one of the worst 3 teams in the NFL.

absent 2009 and 2010 we are nothing.  No one in this country respects the NY Jets. No one.

we stink right now, we stunk before Woody but we had the longest consistent stretch of good football in franchise history under him.

mistakes were made starting w/ firing Tannenbaum, Woody is learning from his mistakes.

aren't you the guy who always complains when I say outside of the 2 lucky runs for the Giants they haven't done much then you are going to use that to bash the Jets?  you sure you are a Jet fan?

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, Big Blocker said:

The franchise he took over was cap strapped, lost parcells, had an old injured QB, traded away best offensive player(who was still young), had made the playoffs just ONE time in previous 8 seasons and just twice in previous 13 seasons AND no coach wanted to coach them as they lost BP, BB and Groh all w/in the span of a year YET we won a rare div ttile in ’02, made the playoffs in ’01, 02, ’04, ’06, ‘09 ’10 and from 2002-2010 won 6 playoff games while in the rest of our history we won a total of 6 playoff wins.

I wish I could say I was surprised but it’s not shocking you would post such misinformed nonsense on here.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

we stink right now, we stunk before Woody but we had the longest consistent stretch of good football in franchise history under him.

mistakes were made starting w/ firing Tannenbaum, Woody is learning from his mistakes.

aren't you the guy who always complains when I say outside of the 2 lucky runs for the Giants they haven't done much then you are going to use that to bash the Jets?  you sure you are a Jet fan?

Tanny was a shilty GM.   There is no evidence he drafted well  His drafts were driven by the HC .  The 2007 draft was a Mangini draft.  He is as dumb as Rex when it comes to evaluating talent. He blew our budget on Mark, Holmes, let Cotch walk, Favre walk etc.  He has NO balls. Please...absent a 2 year run, Tanny has been nothing to brag about.

Little late to the party,  but why is fandom associated with season ticket holdings?  

I don't live in NY, so obviously it makes no sense for me to get season tickets, but you buy the tickets for the experience, the camaraderie, and friendships.  You sure as heck don't do it for the viewing the games up close and personal, where you can't even see if it's a first down or not, or if the person trapped the ball or caught it.  More times than not, you live the game through replays on big screens.  In this day and age, with HD TVs, and the ability to rewind and fast forward the game, there is absolutely no reason to go to the games, if your terminal goal is to watch the game with as much information as possible.  It made sense in earlier years with grainy TVs and horrible TV angles to attend games to actually see what happened.  One of the biggest benefits was the ability to tell what happened, when the camera were away from the play.  Say, WR 2 was wide open down the field, when the QB checked down to a RB for a 2 yard pass.  Back in the day, that sort of information was gleaned from being there, instead of TV angles.  Now you have coach's tape to break down all the plays over and over again.  Or if some idiot did something stupid at the game, you were there as well.  Now with smartphones, and social media, anything remotely controversial happens, and you find out in seconds.  

I think the main issue isn't the Jets, it's the realization that you don't gain much from going to games as you did in the past.  It's a bad investment if your only goal is to watch a successful franchise.  It's true for every single sports team, because you get more information sitting at home than you can possibly get at the game.  The biggest reason people go is because they can share the moment with others that they care, or like minded people.  

It's the same with anything throughout history.  When horse buggies were a thing, people loved it, until the train came along.  Then the investment in feeding the horse, dealing with poop, and injuries weren't worth it.  Train rides were great until cars were improved, then the lack of freedom and congestion weren't worth it.  Then when planes came along, having to deal with traffic and confined roads were a problem.  With sports, being at the game was the best way to experience the game (much like horse buggies were the best way to travel at one point) but there are better options now, that won't cost nearly as much money.  I think you would feel the same exact way if the Jets were winning, but peer pressure to keep the tickets because it's a status symbol (as you probably have seen in LA) would prevent your dad from giving up those tickets.  It was a bad investment in the first place because the return on investment was doomed with advances in technology and social media.

It makes sense for your dad to give up these tickets because his next of kin are across the country as you mentioned.  It's no longer an experience to be there because family isn't around.  

As for the Woody Johnson argument, the team's success depends heavily on QB.  When Vinny was good, we did well.  When, Chad was good, we did well.  When Favre was healthy, we did well.  When Sanchez was a game manager, we did well.  It's not a coincidence that good QB play leads to good results, because the league is predicated on QB play at this point.  Johnson was fine with picking up Chad Pennington (the top QB prospect in that draft at the time I believe), but no one saw how good Tom Brady would be.  We then went out and got Favre, and he had us in playoff contention until he got hurt.  Then we invested a top pick in Sanchez, who a lot of people loved as well.  Have we hit on those picks?  Nope.  What the team actually needs is patience, so they can try and get the right QB.  Either you develop it or you tank when a great class comes along.  Unfortunately, in this market everything has to be ready from Day 1 or people revolt as if they could do a better job without hindsight (The Idzik draft is the one exception here, anyone could have done better there).  

Archived