Catastrophic is a good word

Dcronin

Why does it have to be so poorly run? Why were Harris and Decker let go when they were? I just don't get it.

Why couldn't this full-on tanking have started earlier, so that we would have had more money in free agency?

Why is it SO drastic, so as to leave us with a shell of a team, that could lead to young players being disillusioned and disheartened early?

If we win one or two games it will truly be a miracle.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2714244-tanking-guessing-flailing-bumbling-rebuilding-jets-style

Harris is a valid point.

Decker needed to clear a physical before he was cut.

Why would we want money to spend in free agency this year?

Because being disheartened is more impactful to team success then having talent at multiple positions.

We will be bad but depending on what kind of bad we are things could be good.

53 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

Why does it have to be so poorly run? Why were Harris and Decker let go when they were? I just don't get it.

Why couldn't this full-on tanking have started earlier, so that we would have had more money in free agency?

Why is it SO drastic, so as to leave us with a shell of a team, that could lead to young players being disillusioned and disheartened early?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2714244-tanking-guessing-flailing-bumbling-rebuilding-jets-style

Dude who the **** cares? You act like this is the first time this has been done

Where did I say I don't understand the concept of tanking?

I am asking about specific moves that could have been handled differently.

i think even in a rebuilding year, you want to hang on to some key veterans in core positions that help bring young guys along, that help you compete somewhat.

I've never liked the idea of tanking, because it doesn't always work. What year of tanking are the Browns in? 15?

https://theringer.com/nfl-draft-cleveland-browns-long-rebuild-paul-depodesta-myles-garrett-quarterback-f51c62d58af3

5 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

Where did I say I don't understand the concept of tanking?

I am asking about specific moves that could have been handled differently.

i think even in a rebuilding year, you want to hang on to some key veterans in core positions that help bring young guys along, that help you compete somewhat.

I've never liked the idea of tanking, because it doesn't always work. What year of tanking are the Browns in? 15?

https://theringer.com/nfl-draft-cleveland-browns-long-rebuild-paul-depodesta-myles-garrett-quarterback-f51c62d58af3

I think coaches like Kevin Greene can help on the defensive side. Quincy Enunwa is now a vet so he can help there.

Tanking works if it's done at the right time and you can pick well. If Jamal Adams is whom everybody thinks he will be, that's 2 out of 3 first round picks nailed.

And next year's draft is a good QB draft, so they will have the opportunity

12 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

Had a guy wearing a Jet's cap walk by me on the beach today in Long Branch.

I saw him and said, "Go Jets!"

He said, "0 and 16" and kept walking.

Ouch.

I was in Mexico last week.... wore a JETS dri fit shirt.   MANY Mexicans were calling at me.....   GO Jets!

That is fun..... the ball breaking etc but I'd like to win a fukkin SB.....

24 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

Ouch.

With the way Macc picks QB's it may not get better in the next draft. Peeps here should hope that Hack works out. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Seriously, man. Have you never heard of the concept of tanking?

they're not tanking as much as building a team.  give it a chance.  the dolts were tanking when irsay launched all of the vets.  he didn't even bother to build anything through the draft except for getting luck.  so you bring in luck without an oline and guess what? it's duck luck.  and he continues to get beat up because of the way the dolts tanked.  at least macc has 3 drafts to draw talent from and if he picks well, the jets will be in great shape.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think coaches like Kevin Greene can help on the defensive side. Quincy Enunwa is now a vet so he can help there.

Tanking works if it's done at the right time and you can pick well. If Jamal Adams is whom everybody thinks he will be, that's 2 out of 3 first round picks nailed.

And next year's draft is a good QB draft, so they will have the opportunity

but it's not really tanking because those players are going to play each down every game.  tanking is what the dolts did. sure they got luck but not much else.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

but it's not really tanking because those players are going to play each down every game.  tanking is what the dolts did. sure they got luck but not much else.

Tanking is fine as long as I'm not paying to see it . So , right now , IT SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

images (1).jpg

4 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

Ouch.

Just curious......did he look anything like this guy?

IMG_0116.JPG

9 hours ago, jgb said:

Well that's the rub, ain't it?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

yes.  i know many posters will disagree but mac has made some darn good picks.  what people tend to forget is there are 50 odd players on the active roster and given the longevity of an nfl player that means maybe 8 to 12 players are going have been picked in the first two rounds.  the devin smith pick was unfortunate, hack and lee still have to prove themselves and it looks like adams and maye are the real deal.  but that's only 6 top two round players.  the other picks are also doing pretty well and they will make up the other 75% of the team.  imo teams will create their own all pro players.  it takes time and good, sound coaching.

obviously bowles will have his work cut out for himself.  this year we'll find out if he's a keeper.  my greatest hope is that he does start hack or petty from day 1 and keep mccown planted on the bench (of course that also means that hack or petty win over the team and perform well enough in camp and pre season).

14 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Dude who the **** cares? You act like this is the first time this has been done

I think the OP has a very good point. It's like year after year you power wash your deck then stain it to look nice for your annual Memorial Day pig roast and Bocce ball spectacular. Then one year you decide that you want to make a bigger change so you put 100 pounds of dynamite under it and turn it into toothpicks Then your party guest show up and see the 100 foot deep crater in your yard and say, " Damn dude, what happen to your deck?" You say," I was sick of it and it just wasn't working out." Your guest stare at you in disbelief and wonder how the hell you gonna eat and party in that hole. One of them finally asked and all you can say is," It's cool, least we ain't running out of toothpicks."  All the guest leave and take the pig with them. 

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think the OP has a very good point. It's like year after year you power wash your deck then stain it to look nice for your annual Memorial Day pig roast and Bocce ball spectacular. Then one year you decide that you want to make a bigger change so you put 100 pounds of dynamite under it and turn it into toothpicks Then your party guest show up and see the 100 foot deep crater in your yard and say, " Damn dude, what happen to your deck?" You say," I was sick of it and it just wasn't working out." Your guest stare at you in disbelief and wonder how the hell you gonna eat and party in that hole. One of them finally asked and all you can say is," It's cool, least we ain't running out of toothpicks."  All the guest leave and take the pig with them. 

do any of your stories not involve some form of pork?

yes.  i know many posters will disagree but mac has made some darn good picks.  what people tend to forget is there are 50 odd players on the active roster and given the longevity of an nfl player that means maybe 8 to 12 players are going have been picked in the first two rounds.  the devin smith pick was unfortunate, hack and lee still have to prove themselves and it looks like adams and maye are the real deal.  but that's only 6 top two round players.  the other picks are also doing pretty well and they will make up the other 75% of the team.  imo teams will create their own all pro players.  it takes time and good, sound coaching.

obviously bowles will have his work cut out for himself.  this year we'll find out if he's a keeper.  my greatest hope is that he does start hack or petty from day 1 and keep mccown planted on the bench (of course that also means that hack or petty win over the team and perform well enough in camp and pre season).

Unfortunately in the NFL a GM is judged by the QBs he picks (or passes on).

No.

15 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Seriously, man. Have you never heard of the concept of tanking?

The upending of this roster is more like the attack by the Royal Navy in the Battle of Trafalgar. 

40 minutes ago, CTM said:

do any of your stories not involve some form of pork?

Music ? to Crusher's ears. Pork n Beans, pork on a bun, roasted pork, pork chiops, pork belly, pulled pork, Porky Pig ?, man I'm hungry ?.

Archived