Jamal Adams shines again as Jets conclude minicamp

Marshmello

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, sourceworx said:

The problem is you're discounting the fact that the QB position has a greater weighted value than anything else.  

The safety can be a once in a generation player at his position. A QB prospect that's considered above average, or good, has a higher value. You can survive as a team without a good safety.  You're dead in the water without a QB. 

This is why teams reach in the first round for QBs every year. It's the reason why a team trades up for the second overall pick to select Mitch Trubisky while Jamal Adams falls into our lap at #6. Adams is a better prospect at his position than Trubisky is at his. But the position Trubisky plays is so much more important that he's more valuable.

Im not discounting that at all, there is no debate about what position is more valuable QB or anything else.

The point is that outside of the years when there is an andrew luck or even a winston/mariota the chances of hitting on a QB in the 10-32 range of the first round isnt much greater then the chance to hit on one in rounds 2-5, too many Das Prescott, russel wilsons, and kirk cousins vs. blaine gabbert and christian ponders of the world.  

GMs are constantly reaching for QBs because of the argument you are making and it rarely works.  Yes its a QB driven league, but doesn't defense win championships?  If you have rogers or brady, you dont just have a franchise QB, you have a Hall of Famer, which makes them outliers.  You can win a SB with a "franchise QB" like flacco, if other areas of your team are strong enough and thats a much smarter way to go about the process..

On 6/16/2017 at 11:29 AM, BCJet said:

So in your opinion, NFL Teams should continually use every first round pick they have on QBs until they find one, regardless of where the scouts and GM rate that QB? 

Ill focus only on safety, for the sake of keeping this as simple as possible for you.

When seattle took earl thomas, the next 2 QBs on the board (Bradford went 1 overall) were Jimmy Clausen and Tim Tebow. (their qb was matt hasselback who threw 17 ints and 17 tds)  Are they better off with Thomas anchoring their secondary when they finally found Wilson 2 years later?  Would wilson have won a SB if they didnt have earl thomas on that team?

When Baltimore took Ed Reed, should they have instead take patrick ramsey or david garrard?  (Their QB the year before was Elvis Grbac)  Did their safety help them win a SB?

The draft is about taking calculated risks.  No one on earth is saying that a great QB isnt better then a great Safety.  But when there odds of hitting on a QB like Watson/Mahomes is 10-20% at best and the odds of Adams being an excellent player (which the entire league and draft community felt) is 75%+ then you take the position player. Otherwise you keep picking bad QBs and if you do hit on one eventually, they have no team around them to be successful.

Only this board could people be complaining about the Adams pick at this point, when so far its an unequivocal slam dunk.

Well said. People think you can't win without a first ballot hall of fame QB these days. Look at the Ravens, nobody is calling Flacco a first ballot. Just a little more going on there than QB. 

How lucky can you get to have Adams and Big Cat fall to you in 2 of the last 3 drafts. Both these scary monsters should have been scooped up by the time our slot came up.  Our luck is changing. 

19 minutes ago, BigO said:

How lucky can you get to have Adams and Big Cat fall to you in 2 of the last 3 drafts. Both these scary monsters should have been scooped up by the time our slot came up.  Our luck is changing. 

Nice first post. Welcome to the Mad House.

58 minutes ago, BigO said:

Agree they are 2 beasts but we still need to draft better overall.  Way too many 1st round draft day busts have cost this team success. 

41 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree they are 2 beasts but we still need to draft better overall.  Way too many 1st round draft day busts have cost this team success. 

Agree. These 2 monsters fell into Mac's coffee cup.  He could have passed and went in a different direction.  I'll give him some credit for that.  Hopefully his drafting/FA skills come along with time. He's still learning the ropes.    

16 minutes ago, BigO said:

Agree. These 2 monsters fell into Mac's coffee cup.  He could have passed and went in a different direction.  I'll give him some credit for that.  Hopefully his drafting/FA skills come along with time. He's still learning the ropes.    

But has a solid scouting resume nonetheless and obviously a decent eye for talent.(Robby Anderson, Jordan Jenkins, etc.) I honestly haven't agreed with exactly everything he has done but he isn't clueless and he definitely hasn't given me enough to truly bash him as it seems he has given others...I like Mac a helluva a lot more than Tanny or Idzik so there is that.

46 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

But has a solid scouting resume nonetheless and obviously a decent eye for talent.(Robby Anderson, Jordan Jenkins, etc.) I honestly haven't agreed with exactly everything he has done but he isn't clueless and he definitely hasn't given me enough to truly bash him as it seems he has given others...I like Mac a helluva a lot more than Tanny or Idzik so there is that.

Mac has adopted IDZIK's cap space strategy. The Jets will have big bucks the next 2 years to solidly the roster.  As bad as Idzik was at drafting, he did a nice job in turning over dead weight.  Mac's future success depends on his ability to find a QB and replenish the roster through the draft and FA.  I give him a pass on finding a QB since he took over. Just lousy QB class the last 2 years.  But he failed terribly in FA.  He needs to turn it around and fast. 

Archived