Jump to content
Dcronin

Regarding our $80 Million War Chest Next Year

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Still a tad generous.

Lee was bad, but for some reason it's taboo to say so because he was a "rookie" at a plug and play position. Since 2000, the Defensive Rookie of the Year award went to a linebacker 11 out of 16 times. He was vastly outplayed by both Deion Jones and Myles Jack, who were both drafted after Lee. He was awful in coverage and weak against the run, then he got injured after getting steamrolled on a block because he's ******* puny.

 

Hackenberg getting a "B" is ridiculous for obvious reasons. I mean, How does anyone sit at a keyboard and write something like that? "Can't play, couldn't play, never played, looked like trash in practice and was shredded by everyone who saw him throw a football. Let's give that one a B." Please.

 

Giving Jenkins, who was invisible, a B only works if you compare his production to Lorenzo Maudlin, which seems to be what we're doing. Like, "hey, at least he wasn't an outright liability!" Why Maccagnan has a preference for unathletic OLBs is mind-boggling, like he's drafting for a team that's going to play in 1964.

 

Burris never played despite literally every corner getting reps in front of him being terrible. We can blame Bowles for not wanting to admit his buddy Buster Skrine was an awful signing, but even Pats castoff Darryl Roberts looked better than Burris. And if you look at his agility numbers, it'd be a stretch to even assume he could be an effective strong safety.

 

Shell, after Leo, has been Maccagnan's best pick and deserves a B, even though he's about to hit the bench for the immortal Ben Ijalana.

it is with a heavy heart that i must announce that the SOJFs are at it again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Still a tad generous.

Lee was bad, but for some reason it's taboo to say so because he was a "rookie" at a plug and play position. Since 2000, the Defensive Rookie of the Year award went to a linebacker 11 out of 16 times. He was vastly outplayed by both Deion Jones and Myles Jack, who were both drafted after Lee. He was awful in coverage and weak against the run, then he got injured after getting steamrolled on a block because he's ******* puny.

 

Hackenberg getting a "B" is ridiculous for obvious reasons. I mean, How does anyone sit at a keyboard and write something like that? "Can't play, couldn't play, never played, looked like trash in practice and was shredded by everyone who saw him throw a football. Let's give that one a B." Please.

 

Giving Jenkins, who was invisible, a B only works if you compare his production to Lorenzo Maudlin, which seems to be what we're doing. Like, "hey, at least he wasn't an outright liability!" Why Maccagnan has a preference for unathletic OLBs is mind-boggling, like he's drafting for a team that's going to play in 1964.

 

Burris never played despite literally every corner getting reps in front of him being terrible. We can blame Bowles for not wanting to admit his buddy Buster Skrine was an awful signing, but even Pats castoff Darryl Roberts looked better than Burris. And if you look at his agility numbers, it'd be a stretch to even assume he could be an effective strong safety.

 

Shell, after Leo, has been Maccagnan's best pick and deserves a B, even though he's about to hit the bench for the immortal Ben Ijalana.

I could nitpick, but in general a good assessment.  Lee has great speed and can cover sideline to sideline, but plugging holes is not his thing and I can't see him ever covering tight ends, perhaps RBs out oft the backfield.

Hackenberg was rated a C, but based on his reported body of work he could be a D.  However with his work this spring a C may be optimistic, but not out of the question.

Also Peake in the 7th round, overachieved his draft position and could see an expanded role this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Priority should be on a LT and Edge rusher IMO.  Possibly CB as well depending on how Claiborne and the young guys come along and perform in 2017.  But an Edge guy has really be the thing this team lacks for many years.  For the amount of time, $ and draft picks spent on the Front 7 (Leo, Lee, Jenkins, Mauldin, etc.) the Jets still have no true, elite pass rusher from the outside.  Mo and Leo can get pressure but they're not true speed guys.  This team has no Vic Beasley, Chandler Jones, Von Miller, Joey Bosa, etc. type guy.  This will be a big year for Mauldin who flashed as a rookie but couldn't handle every down duty when given the opportunity in his second year.  He seems like he's destined to be a situational/rotational type OLB and career backup.

Assuming the Jets end up drafting a QB early in Round 1 they'll want a veteran, "show young guys the ropes," kind of QB to come in similar to what McCown is doing this year.  Either Hack or Petty will definitely be gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Priority should be on a LT and Edge rusher IMO.  Possibly CB as well depending on how Claiborne and the young guys come along and perform in 2017.  But an Edge guy has really be the thing this team lacks for many years.  For the amount of time, $ and draft picks spent on the Front 7 (Leo, Lee, Jenkins, Mauldin, etc.) the Jets still have no true, elite pass rusher from the outside.  Mo and Leo can get pressure but they're not true speed guys.  This team has no Vic Beasley, Chandler Jones, Von Miller, Joey Bosa, etc. type guy.  This will be a big year for Mauldin who flashed as a rookie but couldn't handle every down duty when given the opportunity in his second year.  He seems like he's destined to be a situational/rotational type OLB and career backup.

Assuming the Jets end up drafting a QB early in Round 1 they'll want a veteran, "show young guys the ropes," kind of QB to come in similar to what McCown is doing this year.  Either Hack or Petty will definitely be gone.

This is pure fantasy. LTs, edge rushers, and CBs worth signing long-term never hit the open market in the first place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This is pure fantasy. LTs, edge rushers, and CBs worth signing long-term never hit the open market in the first place. 

If you're lucky you'll get a "good / great player ... when not injured" in the FA market. Like we had last year with Clady (even though that was a trade), and this year with Claiborne. Beachum has injury concerns too, but I'm not sure how good he was even when he didn't. Hoping Claiborne holds up better than Clady did. Otherwise we'll get a good long look at our young, depth guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2017 at 6:10 PM, T0mShane said:

His grades on the 2016 draftees are high comedy and Leonard Williams is already a Pro Bowler. Absurd that someone gets paid to write sh*t like that. If that was a new thread on here, it'd get deleted.

 "He got some valuable experience as the season wore on, and showed some flashes of potential, with one interception." 

I guess Slater didn't actually watch this #flashes play. The pass was underthrown by the same 2-3 yards by which the receiver was downfield ahead of Burris, and that's the only reason he got his one interception. If the throw was on the money it's a long TD pass: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000758102/Matt-Moore-picked-off-by-Juston-Burris. One can see the tall tales that were later told, suggesting there was coverage over and under, is nonsense. He simply got beat, and Matt Moore sucks. Of course Moore also threw 4 TDs that same game. I've seen better flashes from menopausal women.

 

When someone takes a player at Darron Lee's non-premium position with the 20th pick in the country, with so many more important holes present on a badly overrated and old roster, it's fair to be less tolerant of a generally lousy rookie season (not to mention his being a nutbag). If he was picked 120th instead of 20th, then maybe you could give the pick a B grade. But an ILB picked that highly, I expect to be really good right away. Hopefully he improves dramatically on the field and acts sanely off it, but until he actually does, a "B" grade is ridiculous.

 

Hackenberg a "C" so far is absurd. The only grades possible are an F or an incomplete. He spent his rookie season holding a clipboard for Bryce Petty, who held a clipboard for Geno Smith, who held a clipboard for Ryan Fitzpatrick, who belonged to be holding a clipboard. They wouldn't even use him in garbage time, when eliminated teams get freebie live action reps for young players who aren't otherwise good enough to start yet. This year he's not exactly running away with it, competing with 38 year-old Cade McNown, though it's early. If this was a "C" grade pick on April 26th, what would a "D" pick look like after 1 season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

 "He got some valuable experience as the season wore on, and showed some flashes of potential, with one interception." 

I guess Slater didn't actually watch this #flashes play. The pass was underthrown by the same 2-3 yards by which the receiver was downfield ahead of Burris, and that's the only reason he got his one interception. If the throw was on the money it's a long TD pass: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000758102/Matt-Moore-picked-off-by-Juston-Burris. One can see the tall tales that were later told, suggesting there was coverage over and under, is nonsense. He simply got beat, and Matt Moore sucks. Of course Moore also threw 4 TDs that same game. I've seen better flashes from menopausal women.

 

When someone takes a player at Darron Lee's non-premium position with the 20th pick in the country, with so many more important holes present on a badly overrated and old roster, it's fair to be less tolerant of a generally lousy rookie season (not to mention his being a nutbag). If he was picked 120th instead of 20th, then maybe you could give the pick a B grade. But an ILB picked that highly, I expect to be really good right away. Hopefully he improves dramatically on the field and acts sanely off it, but until he actually does, a "B" grade is ridiculous.

 

Hackenberg a "C" so far is absurd. The only grades possible are an F or an incomplete. He spent his rookie season holding a clipboard for Bryce Petty, who held a clipboard for Geno Smith, who held a clipboard for Ryan Fitzpatrick, who belonged to be holding a clipboard. They wouldn't even use him in garbage time, when eliminated teams get freebie live action reps for young players who aren't otherwise good enough to start yet. This year he's not exactly running away with it, competing with 38 year-old Cade McNown, though it's early. If this was a "C" grade pick on April 26th, what would a "D" pick look like after 1 season?

Why not just give Hack an A? A+?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

 "He got some valuable experience as the season wore on, and showed some flashes of potential, with one interception." 

I guess Slater didn't actually watch this #flashes play. The pass was underthrown by the same 2-3 yards by which the receiver was downfield ahead of Burris, and that's the only reason he got his one interception. If the throw was on the money it's a long TD pass: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000758102/Matt-Moore-picked-off-by-Juston-Burris. One can see the tall tales that were later told, suggesting there was coverage over and under, is nonsense. He simply got beat, and Matt Moore sucks. Of course Moore also threw 4 TDs that same game. I've seen better flashes from menopausal women.

 

When someone takes a player at Darron Lee's non-premium position with the 20th pick in the country, with so many more important holes present on a badly overrated and old roster, it's fair to be less tolerant of a generally lousy rookie season (not to mention his being a nutbag). If he was picked 120th instead of 20th, then maybe you could give the pick a B grade. But an ILB picked that highly, I expect to be really good right away. Hopefully he improves dramatically on the field and acts sanely off it, but until he actually does, a "B" grade is ridiculous.

 

Hackenberg a "C" so far is absurd. The only grades possible are an F or an incomplete. He spent his rookie season holding a clipboard for Bryce Petty, who held a clipboard for Geno Smith, who held a clipboard for Ryan Fitzpatrick, who belonged to be holding a clipboard. They wouldn't even use him in garbage time, when eliminated teams get freebie live action reps for young players who aren't otherwise good enough to start yet. This year he's not exactly running away with it, competing with 38 year-old Cade McNown, though it's early. If this was a "C" grade pick on April 26th, what would a "D" pick look like after 1 season?

That is the definition of a lazy "article" written by a blogger while watching repeats of Breaking Bad while his ramen cooled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That is the definition of a lazy "article" written by a blogger while watching repeats of Breaking Bad while his ramen cooled

Plus the dirty secret of reality no one wants to admit about the A+ pick, because we all truly love having Leo on the team. Namely, that with competent coaching leadership Leo isn't close to being a #6 overall pick value upgrade over Mo or Sheldon because they're already so talented and young, in terms of improving the overall starting lineup.

We either needed to get a 1st round pick in return for trading one of those two, which was never reality, or we needed to draft a position where the upgrade was far more magnified (e.g. pony up the ransom to move up for Mariota, draft Beasley, or trade down and accumulate needed extra picks).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 21, 2017 at 9:19 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Currently scheduled to hit free agency (UFA) in 2018 include the following:

  • OLB Aldon Smith

Aldon Smith if reinstated by the league , won't be a free agent till two years after that.   He still has two year contract with the Raiders that doesn't start till he's re-instated.  It's immaterial as who knows if he will ever be re-instated by the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Jets were a public company, its stock would trade below cash value because investors would have no confidence that the money would be spent wisely in a way that increases the value of the enterprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-06-21 at 0:33 AM, thadude said:

Right now the average is less than one quality player per draft

Do you make this stuff up as you go along, or do you work on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×