The Hack fan bus is fueling up....

JohnnyLV

I am OK with hoping for the best.  If it turns out I was wrong about Jameis and ASJ, I will admit it.  Same goes for Hack. 
(However, I don't see any of the JNers that began defending Pryor early in '15 acknowledging how right I was about him. I also don't expect to see anything from the Mariota doubters when he starts balling like I know he will.)
What I am most afraid of with Hack or Petty, is that one of them shows just enough to make Macc think he is a franchise QB... and then they pass on the blue-chip QB prospects in April.

I'm not too worried about that....hell, even when we had an already stacked DL Macc still took the best talent at 6 when he drafted Leo. Unless Hack or Petty displays that they're the second coming of a legit NFL franchise QB, Macc values the QB position too much to pass on a legit franchise QB prospect.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I am OK with hoping for the best.  If it turns out I was wrong about Jameis and ASJ, I will admit it.  Same goes for Hack.

What I am most afraid of with Hack or Petty, is that one of them shows just enough to make Macc think he is a franchise QB... and then they pass on the blue-chip QB prospects in April.

Maybe you should try concentrating on what's factual and not on things that don't exist or you have no control over . Case in point, the Jets had a strong Defensive line and the BPA was a Defensive lineman who the Jets took . This past draft, the Jets chose a safety who was considered by the masses as the BPA and followed that up by taking another safety because they had him as the highest rated player available on their board .

Considering QB is the most important position on a football team, I would say that if the Jets are in position to draft a top QB this coming April and that person is rated BPA on their board, that player will either be a Jets or will be used to acquire multiple present and future draft assets .

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

How can this not be a fun season? There are zero expectations.

For me as a fan, some of the most satisfying seasons are seeing a team build from the ground roots and finding hidden gems that serve as a future foundation for a building team. 

Of course, we will have those that will always be negative no matter the outlook of the team and look ti tear everything down. Such is the joy of fandom.

Spoken like a true Jets and Mets fan.  Basically the only thing we ever have to look forward to. 

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Maybe you should try concentrating on what's factual and not on things that don't exist or you have no control over . Case in point, the Jets had a strong Defensive line and the BPA was a Defensive lineman who the Jets took . This past draft, the Jets chose a safety who was considered by the masses as the BPA and followed that up by taking another safety because they had him as the highest rated player available on their board .

Considering QB is the most important position on a football team, I would say that if the Jets are in position to draft a top QB this coming April and that person is rated BPA on their board, that player will either be a Jets or will be used to acquire multiple present and future draft assets .

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

I'm not too worried about that....hell, even when we had an already stacked DL Macc still took the best talent at 6 when he drafted Leo. Unless Hack or Petty displays that they're the second coming of a legit NFL franchise QB, Macc values the QB position too much to pass on a legit franchise QB prospect.

Good, logical points.  If only the Jets demonstrated logic on a regular basis, I might be less inclined to think they'll eff it up.

I don't mind rebuilding years, because sometimes you just have to go through them, rather than trying to win now with over-paid veterans.  That has been my biggest issue with the Knicks in the past, because all they seem to do is patch up the roster to compete for the final playoff spot, and never actually rebuild the roster like they should.  I loved what the 76ers did with their past seasons (and really the only reason it hasn't succeeded yet is a ridiculous amount of bad luck with injuries) in that you tank for a couple of years to rebuild the roster.   I like watching kids try to develop if there is no hope for the season.  Last year, I enjoyed watching Petty and Anderson develop, and I had keen interests on seeing how Lee, Peake, Jalin Marshall, and even Enunwa fit into the scheme.  

Hackenberg is going to be hyped now, because the media isn't stupid.  They need fans to be interested.  If they trash Hackenberg and Petty, the fans will be disinterested since we know McCown isn't the answer.  As I said months ago, the media has their Jets' coverage based on Hackenberg.  Prior to the off-season, trash Hackenberg as much as possible so they can sell stories on a FA QB the Jets might bring in.  To do that, they need to eliminate any hope of Hackenberg being good. This also creates side pieces about how the coaching staff failed to develop him, and if we have the right coaching staff or not.  Once FA moves on, talk about Hackenberg being a major reach, so fans don't use the "Well we picked him in the 2nd, have to give him a shot" excuse.  Rather, they need to think of the pick as a lost one, so they can sell us on the Jets looking at the QB prospects in this draft.  Both of these also include side pieces about how MacCagnan screwed up the pick, and possible replacements last year.  Once draft is over, the tide shifts the other way.  Hackenberg looks better, but not close to McCown, mechanics look better.  This creates a sense of hope, that just maybe there is something there.  Sprinkle in stories about how up and down he is, and we create a whole "Has Hackenberg really improved or not" sub-plot.  As the OTA's draw to a conclusion, Hackenberg looks to be closing the gap with McCown to give fans a upward projection for the lull in upcoming weeks.  I'm sure you will see a bunch of "Hackenberg really taking to coaching, making strides, but is it enough" stories coming forth.  Many people will argue on both sides of it, which plays right into the advertising needs of the media.  

From the clips I've seen, Hackenberg looks improved mainly because his mechanics are improved.  It remains to be seen how he takes in the playbook, and gets comfortable in the system.  I would like to hear some stories about him working out with our young receivers to get timing down, especially someone like Anderson/Peake/Hansen.   

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

(However, I don't see any of the JNers that began defending Pryor early in '15 acknowledging how right I was about him. I also don't expect to see anything from the Mariota doubters when he starts balling like I know he will.)

Predicting that a 4th round QB, who played in a gimmick Baylor offense, who never took a snap from under center would struggle in year two doesn't make you a football scout/GM, stop patting yourself on the back.

Just like getting that one right after complaining that pretty much every draft pick and FA would suck and getting one right doesn't make you smart either. 

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Predicting that a 4th round QB, who played in a gimmick Baylor offense, who never took a snap from under center would struggle in year two doesn't make you a football scout/GM, stop patting yourself on the back.

Just like getting that one right after complaining that pretty much every draft pick and FA would suck and getting one right doesn't make you smart either. 

Whoa, man...  I believe Petty has an equal or better shot to become a serviceable backup QB than Hack. Have stated that a few times here. In fact, I am surprised so many are writing off Petty as an afterthought for 2017.  He might turn out to be the best QB on the roster.  Granted that isn't saying much, but Petty is going to earn a shot to play too. 

BTW, I was pounding the table for Brandin Cooks... so the fact that Pryor did suck was just the cherry on top of me already being right. 

7 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Whoa, man...  I believe Petty has an equal or better shot to become a serviceable backup QB than Hack. Have stated that a few times here. In fact, I am surprised so many are writing off Petty as an afterthought for 2017.  He might turn out to be the best QB on the roster.  Granted that isn't saying much, but Petty is going to earn a shot to play too. 

BTW, I was pounding the table for Brandin Cooks... so the fact that Pryor did suck was just the cherry on top of me already being right. 

As I said, everyone sucks.

Petty should be on your list.  He'll be lick to become a backup NFL QB.  He showed nothing a year ago

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Who's getting in it with me?

I will admit I saw about 5 minutes total of passes by Hack in twitter videos but I have to say I am all aboard the Hack fan bus and want to see if anyone else is buying a ticket.

Some thoughts:

1. He is very well spoken, intelligent and confident while being humble. He is not a yeller, but everything I hear points to a very very smart player, that works hard, is very football knowledgeable  and has the personality to succeed.

2. We know he has the raw talent and measurables

3. Most importantly, the media was desperate to bash Hack hard in the mini-camp, but they couldn't. He showed that much improvement.

I get a good feeling about him, and I have decided I am all in. Who's with me?

It isn't a bus. It is an RV.

Get in and shut the door, we are wasting the air conditioner here, let's go. :)

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Fortunately for you guys, buses of this type only have eight or so bench seats, and the shorter overall length makes it easier to maneuver in and out of traffic. 

Tom I love when you talk about the best five years of your life. Sounds like your high school experience was great.

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Don't be sorry for Hack being devoid of talent. As he walked into his college program, a band of leadership also went out the door as he was coming in. 

He is used to these situations and has a tough mettle. It will be interesting to see if he can develop.

I know and understand why you are being tempered. But we know you think the kid is going to be good!

I want him to be our week one starter.

40 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Tom I love when you talk about the best five years of your life. Sounds like your high school experience was great.

Anyone who hits "like" on this trash joke is a spineless suck-up and goes on my mortal enemies list for life. 

If Bowles waits till 1-7 with McCown before he goes to Hack he should A be fired long before that and B never get another job in the NFL again remotely near a HC or assistant HC position. It is early, but if up to the 1st game McCown is still got worse stats than Hack, then how is experience under his belt really helping him or the team if he is the starter?. It would be absolutely pointless espeically if Hack appear ready enough.

13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Who's getting in it with me?

I will admit I saw about 5 minutes total of passes by Hack in twitter videos but I have to say I am all aboard the Hack fan bus and want to see if anyone else is buying a ticket.

Some thoughts:

1. He is very well spoken, intelligent and confident while being humble. He is not a yeller, but everything I hear points to a very very smart player, that works hard, is very football knowledgeable  and has the personality to succeed.

2. We know he has the raw talent and measurables

3. Most importantly, the media was desperate to bash Hack hard in the mini-camp, but they couldn't. He showed that much improvement.

I get a good feeling about him, and I have decided I am all in. Who's with me?

i'm all for getting him in starting with game one and keeping mccown planted on the bench.  as i see it, the only way he doesn't start is if he really doesn't show either physical or mental ability, or maybe if he so p.o's the team that someone breaks his jaw.  if he wins over the team, he should start.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Petty took a very bad beating last year behind a dispirited team.  His performance was disappointing, but the team had already packed it in.

Hope he gets a chance in camp.  He did have some flashes last year when he time to throw, which wasn't very often.  Think under the circumstances he deserves a fair shot.  Kid has a very good upfield arm with some accuracy.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Petty took a very bad beating last year behind a dispirited team.  His performance was disappointing, but the team had already packed it in.

Hope he gets a chance in camp.  He did have some flashes last year when he time to throw, which wasn't very often.  Think under the circumstances he deserves a fair shot.  Kid has a very good upfield arm with some accuracy.

I agree with you here. Petty strikes me as the type of guy who puts it all together at about 28 years old... hope we can keep him within the organization, regardless of how other QB prospects pan out for us.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Anyone who hits "like" on this trash joke is a spineless suck-up and goes on my mortal enemies list for life. 

What part are you denying? That it took you 5 years or the experience was great?

I will update the records.

[/url]  

The absence of an ideal situation does not preclude an analysis of a QBs skill set. Thought we went through this with Sanchez and then Geno.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I agree with you here. Petty strikes me as the type of guy who puts it all together at about 28 years old... hope we can keep him within the organization, regardless of how other QB prospects pan out for us.

Of course we release him when he is 27. 

22 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

How can this not be a fun season? There are zero expectations.

For me as a fan, some of the most satisfying seasons are seeing a team build from the ground roots and finding hidden gems that serve as a future foundation for a building team. 

Of course, we will have those that will always be negative no matter the outlook of the team and look ti tear everything down. Such is the joy of fandom.

It will be fun for us, but what about the real fans that are paying for season tickets?

Archived