let us see how long Mauldin Lasts now

SickJetFan

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Maccagnan's train wreck off-season continues..

15 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Thank you. Some serious Self-hating Jets fans here. Why are so many here so quick in wanting to be validated that they were correct on a draft pick sucking?

Jets LB Lorenzo Mauldin, accused of punching a man in an April 2 nightclub altercation, was charged with misdemeanor assault after turning himself this morning, according to a New York Police Department spokesman. Per the arrest report, Mauldin allegedly punched the man in the face. An August 16 court appearance is scheduled. Previously, Mauldin was sued by the alleged victim, a Queens man who suffered multiple facial fractures. Mauldin's attorney said his client witnessed the altercation, but didn't commit the assault.

It's a money grab by the "victim"

"The suit also targets the Highline’s corporate owner, Greenwich Village Entertainment Group, and three other companies allegedly tied to the event."

picc.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=286

The way some of you vultures iike to pile on and bask in the glow of bad news regarding Jets players. :rolleyes:

Looks like my 8 year old can knock this kid out. 

More likely than not, a very weak criminal case. And classic situation of a bar fight; loser goes to the hospital, winner takes a collar. Doesn't speak very well of Mauldin's intelligence, but he is not the first 20something to get into  bar fight. 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

More likely than not, a very weak criminal case. And classic situation of a bar fight; loser goes to the hospital, winner takes a collar. Doesn't speak very well of Mauldin's intelligence, but he is not the first 20something to get into  bar fight. 

He could get an agg assault charge 

I keep eating crow all these picks by Macagnan are so good

59 minutes ago, thadude said:

He could get an agg assault charge 

I keep eating crow all these picks by Macagnan are so good

I mean, I'm not looking to be the guy defending Macc here, but the body of work is looking around league average.  He's getting players, they are developing and we are going to see if they are any good.  This is Mauldin's 3rd year.  We expect he is now an every down starter at OLB.  That's about what you'd expect as far as progression from a 3rd rounder.  I get that everyone wants every drafted player to flash HOF potential out of the gate, but that's why we are fanatics.  You gotta also hit singles and doubles on picks to build a full roster.  If Mauldin can be an average player, it's a win.

I like Macc's approach in theory. Overall, I liked the picks he has made more than I hated them. I don't like his rigidity to his theories and lack of inflating rankings based on positional importance.  I'm sure I'll LOVE Adams.  I still can't justify a 6th overall pick on a SS.  Adams will need to be Earl Thomas or better to justify that. And don't hold it against Adams if he's not.  That's on Macc. There's a lot to bitch about, but his drafting has not yet proven to be one of them.

Darron Lee - 2nd year player, started as a rookie. Is locked in as a FT starter.

Christian Hackenberg - Red shirted, will get opportunity this season to showcase himself.

Jordan Jenkins - 2nd year player, started as a rookie. Seemed to be improving each week. Locked in as FT starter.

Juston Burris - 2nd year player, started as a rookie. Has potential to be a FT starter.

Brandon Shell - 2nd year player, started as a rookie. Is in line to be a FT starter this year.

Lac Edwards - Punter.

Charone Peake - Has potential. Limited work. Raw. Developmental. Injury issues.

Leonard Williams - Stud. 3rd year starter.

Devin Smith - Injuries derailed his career.

Lorenzo Mauldin - 3rd year player. Hot start in rookie season. Regressed last season. Locked in as a FT starter.

Bryce Petty - 3rd year player. Injuries now a problem. Started as a 2nd year player.

Jarvis Harrison - Bust.

Deon Simon - Developing player. Has potential. Should push for more PT this year.

I mean regardless of how you or I feel about any particular player on the list, these guys are about where they should be if you are looking at them from the standpoint of an uninterested fan from another team. Seems like the only people who are looking to crucify Macc for his drafting are the ones who feel strongly about the players he picked and pretend to know if the pick is going to be successful or not.  Hell we all do it.  I assumed Enunwa was never going to be anything more than a depth player, if he even lasted long enough to stick onto the roster.  Now I'm thrilled that I just got Enunwa traded to my dynasty team. All I'm saying is pump the brakes. All drafts require 3 years to get a proper grade.  By the end of this year, if We have Williams, Mauldin and Simon all contributing...it was a decent draft. Hitting on 50% is not bad.  If Petty can stick around and stay as a solid backup....all the better.  It all just goes to the idea of 'who are the fans that need to be "right" about the draft, and who are the fans who are willing to be "happily wrong".'  I like to think I am one who will be happily wrong.  I hope I eat crow about Adams for the next 15 years and watch him put on a gold jacket one day.

I can't just totally kill Macc though. Overall Macc needs to continue to improve. Mature as a GM. Stop working for the coach and begin to draft a bit smarter with regard to positional importance, retool how he values draft picks with regard to where they fit. An example of that is taking Darron Lee. As an undersized guy that would be flexed out in Bowles scheme imo should never have been on the board in the 1st for a team built closer to a traditional 3-4.. If we were playing a 4-3 or something closer to it, sure I'd get it. He was a top 4-3 LB prospect.  I thought the Giants should have considered him on draft night.  But we don't and no adjustment was made towards the fact that he would be miscast as an ILB here but the idea that Bowles could scheme him around is not close to enough to justify the pick considering he didn't fit the build. The draft doesn't happen in a vacuum despite every analyst and armchair GM pretending it does. You want a GM with the right approach and theory, but also one who can see the bigger picture and adjust his board to make the most sense for his team. I'm not trying to pick on Lee here.  I'm rooting like hell for him. I just think the logic failed there and he's a good example of an area where Macc can do better. But if he comes out of this season more mature, stronger and proves he's capable of playing at an above JAG level, the pick is not a bust. It's just not maximum value. Some people want GMs to go all or nothing in the 1st round. Most times you end up with nothing that way. I don't love the guy. But he's doing "ok" in the grand scheme of things.  If we had a competent owner, any actual shared organizational vision, and intelligent chain of command/structure....then I'd maybe be more critical.  But he's doing a job as a 1st time GM with no actual support system for a weak, clueless organization. What were you really expecting?. His warts are not dealbreakers just yet. He deserves a little more rope to hang himself with imo.

1 minute ago, Lil Woody said:

I mean, I'm not looking to be the guy defending Macc here, but the body of work is looking around league average.  He's getting players, they are developing and we are going to see if they are any good.  This is Mauldin's 3rd year.  We expect he is now an every down starter at OLB.  That's about what you'd expect as far as progression from a 3rd rounder.  I get that everyone wants every drafted player to flash HOF potential out of the gate, but that's why we are fanatics.  You gotta also hit singles and doubles on picks to build a full roster.  If Mauldin can be an average player, it's a win.

I like Macc's approach in theory. Overall, I liked the picks he has made more than I hated them. I don't like his rigidity to his theories and lack of inflating rankings based on positional importance.  I'm sure I'll LOVE Adams.  I still can't justify a 6th overall pick on a SS.  Adams will need to be Earl Thomas or better to justify that. And don't hold it against Adams if he's not.  That's on Macc. There's a lot to bitch about, but his drafting has not yet proven to be one of them.

Darron Lee - 2nd year player, started as a rookie. Is locked in as a FT starter.

Christian Hackenberg

- Red shirted, will get opportunity this season to showcase himself.

Jordan Jenkins

- 2nd year player, started as a rookie. Seemed to be improving each week. Locked in as FT starter.

Juston Burris - 2nd year player, started as a rookie. Has potential to be a FT starter.

Brandon Shell - 2nd year player, started as a rookie. Is in line to be a FT starter this year.

Lac Edwards

- Punter.

Charone Peake

- Has potential. Limited work. Raw. Developmental. Injury issues.

Leonard Williams

- Stud. 3rd year starter.

Devin Smith

- Injuries derailed his career.

Lorenzo Mauldin - 3rd year player. Hot start in rookie season. Regressed last season. Locked in as a FT starter.

Bryce Petty

- 3rd year player. Injuries now a problem. Started as a 2nd year player.

Jarvis Harrison - Bust.

Deon Simon - Developing player. Has potential. Should push for

more PT this year.

I mean regardless of how you or I feel about any particular player on the list, these guys are about where they should be if you are looking at them from the standpoint of an uninterested fan from another team. Seems like the only people who are looking to crucify Macc for his drafting are the ones who feel strongly about the players he picked and pretend to know if the pick is going to be successful or not.  Hell we all do it.  I assumed Enunwa was never going to be anything more than a depth player, if he even lasted long enough to stick onto the roster.  Now I'm thrilled that I just got Enunwa traded to my dynasty team. All I'm saying is pump the brakes. All drafts require 3 years to get a proper grade.  By the end of this year, if We have Williams, Mauldin and Simon all contributing...it was a decent draft. Hitting on 50% is not bad.  If Petty can stick around and stay as a solid backup....all the better.  It all just goes to the idea of 'who are the fans that need to be "right" about the draft, and who are the fans who are willing to be "happily wrong".'  I like to think I am one who will be happily wrong.  I hope I eat crow about Adams for the next 15 years and watch him put on a gold jacket one day.

I can't just totally kill Macc though. Overall Macc needs to continue to improve. Mature as a GM. Stop working for the coach and begin to draft a bit smarter with regard to positional importance, retool how he values draft picks with regard to where they fit. An example of that is taking Darron Lee. As an undersized guy that would be flexed out in Bowles scheme imo should never have been on the board in the 1st for a team built closer to a traditional 3-4.. If we were playing a 4-3 or something closer to it, sure I'd get it. He was a top 4-3 LB prospect.  I thought the Giants should have considered him on draft night.  But we don't and no adjustment was made towards the fact that he would be miscast as an ILB here but the idea that Bowles could scheme him around is not close to enough to justify the pick considering he didn't fit the build. The draft doesn't happen in a vacuum despite every analyst and armchair GM pretending it does. You want a GM with the right approach and theory, but also one who can see the bigger picture and adjust his board to make the most sense for his team. I'm not trying to pick on Lee here.  I'm rooting like hell for him. I just think the logic failed there and he's a good example of an area where Macc can do better. But if he comes out of this season more mature, stronger and proves he's capable of playing at an above JAG level, the pick is not a bust. It's just not maximum value. Some people want GMs to go all or nothing in the 1st round. Most times you end up with nothing that way. I don't love the guy. But he's doing "ok" in the grand scheme of things.  If we had a competent owner, any actual shared organizational vision, and intelligent chain of command/structure....then I'd maybe be more critical.  But he's doing a job as a 1st time GM with no actual support system for a weak, clueless organization. What were you really expecting. His warts are not dealbreakers just yet. He deserves a little more rope to hang himself with imo.

His three second round picks one is a ridiculously bad qb we coulda had three rounds later, a JAG WR(actually not even a JAG), and Calvin Pryor 2.0

If that's league average I want to know what's a bad nfl GM draft record

7 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Christian Hackenberg - Red shirted, will get opportunity this season to showcase himself.

Jordan Jenkins - 2nd year player, started as a rookie. Seemed to be improving each week. Locked in as FT starter.

Lac Edwards - Punter.

Charone Peake - Has potential. Limited work. Raw. Developmental. Injury issues.

Leonard Williams - Stud. 3rd year starter.

Devin Smith - Injuries derailed his career.

Bryce Petty - 3rd year player. Injuries now a problem. Started as a 2nd year player.

Jarvis Harrison - Bust.

Deon Simon - Developing player. Has potential. Should push for more PT this year.

I can't just totally kill Macc though. Overall Macc needs to continue to improve. Mature as a GM. Stop working for the coach and begin to draft a bit smarter with regard to positional importance, retool how he values draft picks with regard to where they fit. An example of that is taking Darron Lee. As an undersized guy that would be flexed out in Bowles scheme imo should never have been on the board in the 1st for a team built closer to a traditional 3-4.. If we were playing a 4-3 or something closer to it, sure I'd get it. He was a top 4-3 LB prospect.  I thought the Giants should have considered him on draft night.  But we don't and no adjustment was made towards the fact that he would be miscast as an ILB here but the idea that Bowles could scheme him around is not close to enough to justify the pick considering he didn't fit the build. The draft doesn't happen in a vacuum despite every analyst and armchair GM pretending it does. You want a GM with the right approach and theory, but also one who can see the bigger picture and adjust his board to make the most sense for his team. I'm not trying to pick on Lee here.  I'm rooting like hell for him. I just think the logic failed there and he's a good example of an area where Macc can do better. But if he comes out of this season more mature, stronger and proves he's capable of playing at an above JAG level, the pick is not a bust. It's just not maximum value. Some people want GMs to go all or nothing in the 1st round. Most times you end up with nothing that way. I don't love the guy. But he's doing "ok" in the grand scheme of things.  If we had a competent owner, any actual shared organizational vision, and intelligent chain of command/structure....then I'd maybe be more critical.  But he's doing a job as a 1st time GM with no actual support system for a weak, clueless organization. What were you really expecting?. His warts are not dealbreakers just yet. He deserves a little more rope to hang himself with imo.

Are you DefenseWinsChampionships vers. 3.0?

Just now, thadude said:

His three second round picks one is a ridiculously bad qb we coulda had three rounds later, a JAG WR(actually not even a JAG), and Calvin Pryor 2.0

If that's league average I want to know what's a bad nfl GM draft record

You are discounting Maye already?  That's actually a reasonable pick at that spot by most. Now if you are mad about the back to back safeties, I get that. And that goes to the being a more mature GM thing, but the selection itself is solid one. I was fuming about the back to back safeties too. But after time to relax, Maye is a good pick at that spot. I'd have prefered Mike Williams and Marcus Maye over Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye personally, but we will have to see.

As to Smith and Hack. Smith had elite potential, but was made of glass. Hack is a ongoing debate I'm not interested in starting up in this thread. Bottom line WRs take 3 years to mature and QBs take 5. Any demands we as fans place on them for our own gratification are meaningless if we are really being honest and fair.

1 minute ago, Lil Woody said:

You are discounting Maye already?  That's actually a reasonable pick at that spot by most. Now if you are mad about the back to back safeties, I get that. And that goes to the being a more mature GM thing, but the selection itself is solid one. I was fuming about the back to back safeties too. But after time to relax, Maye is a good pick at that spot. I'd have prefered Mike Williams and Marcus Maye over Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye personally, but we will have to see.

As to Smith and Hack. Smith had elite potential, but was made of glass. Hack is a ongoing debate I'm not interested in starting up in this thread. Bottom line WRs take 3 years to mature and QBs take 5. Any demands we as fans place on them for our own gratification are meaningless if we are really being honest and fair.

We took Maye over a lot of really good prospects.  That situation is going to get ugly

11 minutes ago, thadude said:

We took Maye over a lot of really good prospects.  That situation is going to get ugly

Would I have preferred Juju, Willis, Cunningham or Sidney Jones?  Of course. But that goes back to how we personally feel about the players. All you can do is look at how the pick that was made performs.  How a player develops elsewhere is not a guarantee if that was the selection here it would be the same. Juju here imo probably gets zero help, withers on the bench and busts.  Juju in Pitt, gets proper coaching, a development plan and becomes a stud.  I was absolutely gutted when we took Stewart in rd 3 and then Basham went the very next pick.  Basham imo would have been an ideal fit.  On the Colts he may end up being a jag or worse considering their track record w the revolving door of edge rushers they have been bringing in since Freeney/Mathis.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Bar Fight?  C'mon.  Guy weights 140#.  This wasn't a fight , it was a beating.  IF  Mauldin  did this, he needs a time out for about 6 months at the county jail

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Bar Fight?  C'mon.  Guy weights 140#.  This wasn't a fight , it was a beating.  IF  Mauldin  did this, he needs a time out for about 6 months at the county jail

If every guy who punched another guy in an NYC bar or nightclub went to jail for 6 months, Rikers Island would be overflowing with guys. 

I think the dialogue here is interesting.  

On one hand people fault Mac for not drafting Cook or Mixon, but on the other hand he gets criticized for drafting Mauldin who may have gotten into some trouble.  

One way to avoid having your players get into trouble like this is to avoid drafting players who have gotten into trouble before.  If Mac drafted Mixon and he slugged someone, he would be pilloried.

There was no history of Mauldin getting into trouble before, to my knowledge.  But something is not exactly right with this team.   I would hope that they players are getting more guidance as to what to do, where to go, etc.  A guy like Mauldin out drinking in Chelsea clubs is just asking for trouble.

In a way I feel sorry for these guys, because their freedom is definitely constrained.  But that somewhat is the life they have bought for themselves.  

We can do the analysis to see if the Jets' offseason problems exceed that of other teams, but it seems like more than usual.  If Mauldin is lucky he will get suspended at the end of this year, if he is going to get suspended.   My suspicion is that he does, although this is a very squirrelly case, and LM's story may be correct and perhaps the assailant was one of his pals (but LM is the one with the money).   I think a player's development and durability is adversely affected if they play in preseason and then have to sit out in September/October.  

Regardless of what the truth ultimately turns out to be, this is not a good story, and it is not good for Mauldin.  The Jets need to tighten their ship.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think the dialogue here is interesting.  

On one hand people fault Mac for not drafting Cook or Mixon, but on the other hand he gets criticized for drafting Mauldin who may have gotten into some trouble.  

One way to avoid having your players get into trouble like this is to avoid drafting players who have gotten into trouble before.  If Mac drafted Mixon and he slugged someone, he would be pilloried.

There was no history of Mauldin getting into trouble before, to my knowledge.  But something is not exactly right with this team.   I would hope that they players are getting more guidance as to what to do, where to go, etc.  A guy like Mauldin out drinking in Chelsea clubs is just asking for trouble.

In a way I feel sorry for these guys, because their freedom is definitely constrained.  But that somewhat is the life they have bought for themselves.  

We can do the analysis to see if the Jets' offseason problems exceed that of other teams, but it seems like more than usual.  If Mauldin is lucky he will get suspended at the end of this year, if he is going to get suspended.   My suspicion is that he does, although this is a very squirrelly case, and LM's story may be correct and perhaps the assailant was one of his pals (but LM is the one with the money).   I think a player's development and durability is adversely affected if they play in preseason and then have to sit out in September/October.  

Regardless of what the truth ultimately turns out to be, this is not a good story, and it is not good for Mauldin.  The Jets need to tighten their ship.

Agree with this post but a couple things to address about the bolded:

1) Of all the neighborhoods in the tri-state area (heck you can even limit it to just Manhattan), why is Mauldin club-hopping in a part of town known as, um, "Chocolate Chelsea" (and chocolate doesn't refer to skin color nor does it refer to desserts for those who don't know)?

2) If this were OBJ, Eli, Brandon Marshall, Revis, I 'd agree with the whole "constrained freedom" angle, but let's be real, you'd have to be a Jet fan of the most epic proportion to know what Lorenzo Mauldin looks like on a random basis. Football is the one sport where guys can remain the most anonymous in the general public since we usually only see them in helmets or with hats off but in terrible weather / physical condiitons. Now considering the major demographic of Chelsea, if I couldn't pick Mauldin out of a lineup, I'd be hard pressed to believe that the average club-goer out there could as well. Only if he was on his "I'm Lorenzo Mauldin, let me tell you who I am" steeze would he be recognizable.

Given what we know, and being a lifelong NYer, here's what I think happened: Lorenzo Mauldin decided to hit up a rainbow club or 2 to get his Simon Adebisi on. He either approached someone else's SO, the other half wasn't having it and a thrashing ensued... or he approached a single dude, but dude wasn't to keen on sitting on a collapsing star the rest of his life, and was like "nuh uh" which enrages Mauldin and a thrashing ensued. And let's not forget there is liquor involved.

And before I get replies calling this post childish, anyone who knows out here knows that if you are at a nightlife establishment in Chelsea and you're NOT with a female lover, chances are you're probably out there seeking the bottom to complement your top or vice versa.

Just adding up the info, and my deductions of living life in NYC, not relying on the canned garbage we get from the media or the NYJ.

23 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

Agree with this post but a couple things to address about the bolded:

1) Of all the neighborhoods in the tri-state area (heck you can even limit it to just Manhattan), why is Mauldin club-hopping in a part of town known as, um, "Chocolate Chelsea" (and chocolate doesn't refer to skin color nor does it refer to desserts for those who don't know)?

I am from here, and know Chelsea well.  Don't know what Chocolate Chelsea means, and I even googled it.

That being said, I think I suspect.

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am from here, and know Chelsea well.  Don't know what Chocolate Chelsea means, and I even googled it.

That being said, I think I suspect.

Lol, yeah it's probably not the most well known nickname for that area, especially in this era of PC, but the abundance of rainbow flags that occupy Chelsea coupled with the answer to "If the front makes lemonade, what is produced around the corner?" should give it away.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

http://pix11.com/2017/06/21/jets-linebacker-lorenzo-mauldin-arrested-for-manhattan-club-assault/

Nice outfit.  The Highline Ballroom is known for its "Drag Brunch."

I think things get interesting for Mauldin.

Yup, had a feeling my pseudo-conclusion wasn't veering too off course. Single men just do not go out to Chelsea on some "I'm just here to see the NY nightlife and maybe bag a broad or two's number" tip.

7 hours ago, Bugg said:

If every guy who punched another guy in an NYC bar or nightclub went to jail for 6 months, Rikers Island would be overflowing with guys. 

Mauldin weights what?  260?  This guy weights 140.  Personally I think there is something weird about the whole thing, but yeah, IF  it was Mauldin who hit this guy for no real reason, as it's being presented, He should do a few months.  The guy got hurt

Archived