JN Mafia: Revenge of the Nerds

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

what gives you that impression? 

Crusher talking about his kids are out of high school.  Leelou who I thought was around my age judging by her picture is still 5 year older me.  Ape talking about high school in the 80's.  I'm over here still trying to figure out when is the right time to propose to my girlfriend.  

53 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

I was born in '87 so I guess I'm a millennial.  When I went to high school there were still jocks and nerds however.  

I think 87 is generally the cutoff.

You probably feel more akin to Gen X than millennials despite being grouped with them.

51 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Of course, but the lines drawn between them are nothing now like they were in the 80's. 

The shift started in the 90's with Gen-Xers. The jocks suddenly wanted to be more like the "cool" nerds who were into the good music, wearing clothes that weren't from teh gap, and so on... the groups started borrowing from each other. 

Which is where you get a 300lb football playing nerd for baby crusher.

I think sports/competition has been marginalized while at the same time young people saw that those nerds were having a good time with their video games and comic books.

I don't think nerds borrowed from jocks...I think "jocks" were given a bad rap so they became other things, including nerds.

I never noticed a trend of nerds getting into sports or working out. It was a one way street. Which is why you have a lot of kids growing up with no sense of good sportsmanship, among other traits.

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

why you want the left overs ? Sorry I promised them to the idiot Pirrate to enhance his drinking experience.

Maybe he hoped he wouldnt need to roofie your drink. Save up for some gas money instead.

1 hour ago, BallinPB said:

Crusher talking about his kids are out of high school.  Leelou who I thought was around my age judging by her picture is still 5 year older me.  Ape talking about high school in the 80's.  I'm over here still trying to figure out when is the right time to propose to my girlfriend.  

When the time is right. Just don't show your wedding video to this crowd.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Of course, but the lines drawn between them are nothing now like they were in the 80's. 

The shift started in the 90's with Gen-Xers. The jocks suddenly wanted to be more like the "cool" nerds who were into the good music, wearing clothes that weren't from teh gap, and so on...

That was pretty much me 

cept tjat made me somewhat unique 

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

I think sports/competition has been marginalized while at the same time young people saw that those nerds were having a good time with their video games and comic books.

I don't think nerds borrowed from jocks...I think "jocks" were given a bad rap so they became other things, including nerds.

I never noticed a trend of nerds getting into sports or working out. It was a one way street. Which is why you have a lot of kids growing up with no sense of good sportsmanship, among other traits.

I think it depends on what part of the country you are in.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

The shift started in the 90's with Gen-Xers. The jocks suddenly wanted to be more like the "cool" nerds who were into the good music, wearing clothes that weren't from teh gap, and so on... the groups started borrowing from each other. 

Which is where you get a 300lb football playing nerd for baby crusher.

Cool nerds - heh.

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

From the gamer perspective for nerds like Nol, I think Olivia Mumm had a lot to do with making it "all right". Whatever that show was and or others like it

She bridged the gap from Nerd to sports when she banged Aaron Rodgers so well he became mediocre at football for a time.