JN Mafia: Revenge of the Nerds

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

From the gamer perspective for nerds like Nol, I think Olivia Mumm had a lot to do with making it "all right". Whatever that show was and or others like it

You're talking about Big Bang Theory?

You're probably right and I ******* hate that show.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

From the gamer perspective for nerds like Nol, I think Olivia Mumm had a lot to do with making it "all right". Whatever that show was and or others like it

I think Gen X nerds grew up and started making movies about the things they cared about, like comic books... and the world re-calibrated. You've also had movies about NERDS making them the heros going all the way back to the 80's. If you think about it, society has been getting re-programmed to champion the nerds, by the nerds, for the last 30 years.

The brains won with the long game.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I think Gen X nerds grew up and started making movies about the things they cared about, like comic books... and the world re-calibrated. You've also had movies about NERDS making them the heros going all the way back to the 80's. If you think about it, society has been getting re-programmed to champion the nerds, by the nerds, for the last 30 years.

Everything is conditioning and programming. This is true. 21 Jump street remake made a great satire of this just as it was budding.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

On a for-reals note, I think it has a lot to do with the younger gens not having a grandfather tell them about being in WWII. A few of them have relatives that fought since, but not the majority, and the comparrison isn't quite the same. if you grew up in the 70's, you knew about it and it was a defining influence. It's crazy how fast history wears off. 

1 hour ago, D P R said:

On a for-reals note, I think it has a lot to do with the younger gens not having a grandfather tell them about being in WWII. A few of them have relatives that fought since, but not the majority, and the comparrison isn't quite the same. if you grew up in the 70's, you knew about it and it was a defining influence. It's crazy how fast history wears off. 

I agee w this being a part of it. I've had similar thoughts. 

41 minutes ago, HessStation said:

In reference to Olivia Mumm, Attack of the Show...was the name

Ohhh oh that was ummm one of those tv shows on that game channel that died wasn't it?

I've probably seen it maybe once or twice.

24 minutes ago, D P R said:

In my experience old timers don't usually want to talk about the wars of the past.

I think to DPR's point it's a War that usually shakes people back into reality. Having loved ones die in that fashion or the threat of it or being closer to it. When people get too comfortable and isolated they can worry about their kid's getting a trophy and such. I realize the world is in sh*t but in different ways. And I mean this as in a majority sense with no disrespect to Gulf War vets or current military. Not that it's a deciding factor but a piece of it along with social media, smart phone, overpopulation and biased/one sided/agenda driven news reporting from both sides.   Also, the commercializtion of america...

19 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Well, If you get laid, you prob have that show to thank.

Why you think I'm a nerd???

Bro I played little league I am totally a jock give me a root beer and watch me chug it!!!

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Nolder said:

How do you mean?

You're the youngest, so I'm wondering what your experience has been, specifically in light of folks not wanting to discuss wars - I'm not saying they babbled on and on about it when I was younger, but it was important to a great many of them that we (collectively) knew what had happened. What happened for you?

17 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I think to DPR's point it's a War that usually shakes people back into reality. Having loved ones die in that fashion or the threat of it or being closer to it. When people get too comfortable and isolated they can worry about their kid's getting a trophy and such. I realize the world is in sh*t but in different ways. And I mean this as in a majority sense with no disrespect to Gulf War vets or current military. Not that it's a deciding factor but a piece of it along with social media, smart phone, overpopulation and biased/one sided/agenda driven news reporting from both sides.   Also, the commercializtion of america...

Yeah, WWII had the numbers - at that time, there wasn't anyone that wasn't involved one way or another. And I think that the goal was easier to grasp. Korea and Vietnam were murky, the Gulf War was a confirmation and Afghanistan and since have been their own sort of murky. 

WWII vets fought Hitler and Japan and our ideas of freedom and democracy were in stark contrast to what we fought against.

Once the clarity of those things slips away, it's easier for confusion to proliferate. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, D P R said:

You're the youngest, so I'm wondering what your experience has been, specifically in light of folks not wanting to discuss wars - I'm not saying they babbled on and on about it when I was younger, but it was important to a great many of them that we (collectively) knew what had happened. What happened for you?

I asked my grandfather about his war time experience. I asked my grandmother (other side) her experience. I asked a cousin that was in the marines what it was like. None of them wanted to talk about it.

41 minutes ago, Nolder said:

I asked my grandfather about his war time experience. I asked my grandmother (other side) her experience. I asked a cousin that was in the marines what it was like. None of them wanted to talk about it.

Well that's not tremendously helpful for the younger gens. The idea is that each generation passes along what they've learned to the next so that progress can be made and mistakes can be avoided.