Jets Fans Hoping Broncos’ Lynch Isn’t Repeat of Idzik’s Carr Wreck

Every argument that's based on how the Jets should have supposedly drafted Carr in the first immediately invalidates everything else trying to be said.  An argument can be easily enough made that the Jets shouldn't have let Geno stop them from going QB again, but the idea that the QB would have been Carr is fabricated nonsense based on absolutely nothing but pure hindsight.  Another two QBs came off the board after the Jets and before Carr, both of whom would have been far more likely to be the choice if the Jets were willing to go QB.  If they had gone Manziel, that would have been mind-numbingly stupid even at the time, but Bridgewater would have been a very realistic option, and who knows how that would of worked out for the Jets.  There's no reason to believe the Jets would have taken Carr there under any circumstances, and the evidence suggests no team would have.  As if this pile of crap team doesn't give us enough to hate them for, do we actually need to fabricate more?

You could fill a book with the list of names the jets passed on and should've drafted over the last decades. And they have. It's kept in Canton, Ohio.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, jgb said:

You could fill a book with the list of names the jets passed on and should've drafted over the last decades. And they have. It's kept in Canton, Ohio.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The irony is that many of the names in Canton were passed over (sometimes several times) by the same team that picked them. The NFL draft is probably the most imperfect art there is, not matter how many statistics are added to the mix.Until the NFL develops a farm system that emulates NFL style play, it will continue that way. Unfortunately, a farm system would leave players too old to contribute for more than a few years, given the punishment of the game. So a hope and a dream remains the methodology of NFL drafting.

16 hours ago, fltflo said:

As a 50 year fan of this franchise and of the game itself, the Hack pick looked like a big reach.
An in spite of all the fans who insist that he must get a chance , franchise QB's step up and take the opportunity. From all the reports we keep hearing he continues to struggle with the pro game. This after one full year in the system, sorry everyone, but the cream of the crop have always grab the bull by the horns and forced there coaches to play them. Not because of where there picked,because there play leaves no doubt about there ability.
This is neither the case with either of our young QB's. which is why you have a Josh McCown now on the team. All the time in the world is not going to make a difference if it's not there in the first place.
I hope I am dead wrong and more then willing to eat a month worth of crow, yet my 50 years tells me our franchise QB is still not on this team.
In closing I also have to ask the question, with a young experienced arm like Kappernick still available,why the hell would you bring in McCown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thinking doesnt work on too many levels.....

1. Of course he must get a chance. What sense does it make NOT to give a chance to a 2nd rd QB when we dont have an established starter?

2. I disagree, not all reports are saying "he is struggling with the pro game" in fact it is quite the opposite. Most reports this off season actually say he looks like he is not struggling with the pro game but still working on accuracy and doesnt know the system well enough to instinctively move to his 2nd read if the 1st one is covered. 

3. He doesnt have a "full year in the system" since the new OC just got here he has a few months in it and frankly looks better than he did in the last one. He actually does look like he has improved from last year...in ALL reports.

4. A player despite his talent cant force a coach to play them if they dont want to. Ready or not its not their decision...in this case Hack wasnt ready but there are other cases where the QB was "more" ready and still never saw the field. Aaron Rogers says hi.

5. Josh McCown is actually the best choice for this team whether people want to admit it or not. He is not a guy who will cause a rebellion if he is benched. He is a veteran who offers enough to jump in if your young guns cant cut it. One of these 2 young guys will be our back up next year and Josh will be gone. The only question is will the other be the starter or will we draft the starter. My only issue with his signing is the amount they paid him but other than that he is the perfect guy. 

6. Kapernick honestly would only delay us finding a long term answer. He would provide a segment of the fan base enough to cheer about to keep him and another segment of the racist fan base a reason to make obnoxious comments and frankly cause too much of a distraction in the one season we need it the least. 

In closing, I am not saying that Hack is real, I'm just saying if he isnt, it isnt because of any of the points you deducted from watching football for 50 years.  

16 hours ago, fltflo said:

I think Collin has gotten a bad reputation due to his stand against injustice and the way he chose to express it.
Yet, from a football stand point, he is by far ,the more superior QB then any presently employed by the Jets.
This notion of developing the young guys is quite contrary to the fan base wishes to tank and bring another rookie next year anyway.
Seems both Hack and Petty are not long term answers the way things are playing out. So bring in McCown to mentor them is a joke, considering he has already said he has every intention of being the starter.

I actually agree with most of this post except the bold part. We have NO idea how things are playing out since we are not even in training camp yet. Pump yo brakes shorty.

McCown has to say he has every intention of being the started, there is a 3 way competition. If he said anything less this fan base will pummel him and the CS/GM for putting on a charade of a competition because McCown already said he is planning on being a backup. 

You know it's a sad thing, but during these dog days, unless C Mart or Kelly are posting articles or someone is posting tweets from camp, these boards for the most part are a waste of time .  A bunch of trolls trying to antagonize  each other because they don't have anything better to do or anything good worth saying about a team they supposedly can't live with or live without .

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

You know it's a sad thing, but during these dog days, unless C Mart or Kelly are posting articles or someone is posting tweets from camp, these boards for the most part are a waste of time .  A bunch of trolls trying to antagonize  each other because they don't have anything better to do or anything good worth saying about a team they supposedly can't live with or live without .

for the most part it is a time killer for most I think...i know it is for me. I love to learn and read about my team from articles and reports that I haven seen yet. It is a little irritating seeing posts that seem to have very little thought behind them but that is the internet I guess. We all have a keyboard. 

• Upvote 1

Okay, so your another old timer, so you know how this goes. Your heart has been broken enough already.
I would just add that when it comes to QB's the coaches know early on if they have got a good one. The one example I would give you is a 6 round pick who has been kicking our asses for years. Cheating Belicheat knew right away that Brady was going to be a good one. An the hit we put on Bledsoe made his decisions and easy one.
I could mention others like Rogers, Marino, hell even Pennington if he were physically stronger, but you get my point. Outstanding QB's show early and generally there is very little negative feedback to be had.
I just don't see this with either Hack or Petty, I would certainly be more then happy to be dead wrong and be the first to admit it. Yet my friend, at 62 my time is growing short and I have many more seasons behind me then I do in front. I really would like to see a winning franchise before I go to that long sleep.

13 hours ago, win4ever said:

I'm not going to kill Idzik for passing on Carr.  In retrospect, yes it looks horrible because Carr became a successful QB, but that's more with hindsight than anything else.  

Geno Smith finished his rookie season with a 66 rating, 44 QBR, while Carr finished with a 76 rating and 45 QBR, and his team went 3-13.  

The final 4 weeks of the season, Geno finished with the second highest QBR (next to Manning) which seemed to show that he was improving as well, and hitting his stride.  I can't blame a GM for investing a first round pick on a QB that wasn't a surefire thing like Luck, when he just got promising signs from the second round QB he picked the year before.  Yeah, the Panthers picked Cam after Claussen, but Cam was a special talent, and the only reason to pass on him at the time was off the field concerns.  

Geno's tenure went downhill the moment Decker got hurt in that Packers game, because after that it was a crap show of talent around him.  Kerley, Greg Salas, Owusu, Amaro, David Nelson, Jeff Cumberland, Sudfeld, and Harvin.  

Oakland actually did a good job of surrounding Carr with talent, and it helped to develop the QB.  Cooper and Crabtree, with good third options like Holmes, and last year Seth Roberts.  It also helps to have a good RB like Murray.  

We tried to do the same thing with Marshall/Decker/Ivory but IK got in the way.  In retrospect, absolutely, I would have loved if we picked up Carr, but i can't blame the GM for not doing so.  I do blame him as heck for picking Calvin Pryor over Clinton Dix when we badly needed a FS instead of a SS, and then waiting so long to get in on the best WR class in memory.   

Replace Pryor/Amaro with Dix/Robinson and I'd say Idzik and Ryan still have a job here.  

Paxton Lynch was horrible last year with a team that won the Superbowl the year before, and a very good receiver core.  Why would anyone worry if he's the one that got away?  They draft Chad Kelly last this year, and their fans are gushing about the possibility of him starting this year, or Trevor Simiean.  That's like saying New England is wondering if Devin Smith is the one that got away two years ago.  

Not only just the last four games of his rookie season but he had some good moments early in the season too. The Tampa game while wasn't a good game he at least did some nice things in that game. Decent showing for a unready rookie making his first start. The Thursday Night game against the Pats, a terrible ending with him getting wreck less with the ball throwing those picks, but before that he showed some things despite the rain affecting the receivers (same problem Brady had with his guys dropping passes) and holding his own at Foxborough. The first Bills game. The MNF game against the Falcons was great, and he had a good showing in the 2nd Pats game. But he had some stinkers too, like the Titans game, the Bengals game and the Steelers game. He had a miserable string of games in November against the Bills, Ravens and Dolphins where he looked like he never played football before let alone quarterback. He did bounce back nicely at the end playing well against the Raiders and earning offensive rookie of the week, solid performance against one of the best defensive teams in the league in Carolina, another good performance against the Browns, and a solid performance against the Dolphins who needed to win in order to make the playoffs. 

They looked at everything and felt that they saw enough in him that was worth continuing to develop. Had they felt he wasn't the long term guy they more than likely either draft Bridgewater at 18, or maybe take Garropolo instead of Amaro, in year 2 he improved, in his rookie season he was terrible, in year 2 I would categorize it as inconsistent. He always made some bad mistakes at the worst times during the game and it got frustrating. But despite that he did do some good things, his Raider game was good (bad mistakes like the sack that took them out of field goal range and the red zone fumble), the first half of the Packers game was good until Decker got hurt, against the Bears he looked okay, but like I said earlier he had mistakes at the worst times like forcing a pass on a busted screen play when he should've just either ate the sack or threw it away. Or the awful red zone interception while forcing a pass to a well covered David Nelson. An okay game against the Lions but again bad decision with the awful overthrown pass. Then a good game against a top defensive team in the Broncos, but again bad decision making throwing that pick six at the end. His TNF game against the Pats was his first clean game of the season. Then he got benched against the Bills for throwing 3 interceptions in a row to start the game. Came back a month later in his first start against the Dolphins and didn't really throw a lot. He had a good game against the Vikings again bad decision throwing an errant pass for a pick six early, but bounced back nicely after that. Played well against the Titans and it was a clean game. Played well against the Pats, bad decision with the overthrow of Cumberland, before closing out the season on a high note by having a perfect passer rating against the Dolphins.

Overall I felt he showed enough through the first 2 years that warranted us working with him and developing him. 

16 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I feel like we should help you out by providing more positive content. 

5 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Okay, so your another old timer, so you know how this goes. Your heart has been broken enough already.
I would just add that when it comes to QB's the coaches know early on if they have got a good one. The one example I would give you is a 6 round pick who has been kicking our asses for years. Cheating Belicheat knew right away that Brady was going to be a good one. An the hit we put on Bledsoe made his decisions and easy one.
I could mention others like Rogers, Marino, hell even Pennington if he were physically stronger, but you get my point. Outstanding QB's show early and generally there is very little negative feedback to be had.
I just don't see this with either Hack or Petty, I would certainly be more then happy to be dead wrong and be the first to admit it. Yet my friend, at 62 my time is growing short and I have many more seasons behind me then I do in front. I really would like to see a winning franchise before I go to that long sleep.

yeah a thousand years of watching this team it seems.....but I dont think Beli had a choice. Brady was all he has at the time and it worked out really well. That team however functions no matter who plays the QB position so it remains to be seen how much of that early playing was brady or beli

Rogers sat for at least a year...in fact wasnt it 3 years he sat? Marino played in a different era when the rules were different and I dont agree that Pennington was stronger. He wasnt not someone to be described as stronger than anyone...not even the punter. I do agree there was a lot more positive pub about these guys that hack by far but Hack has made himself an easy target in a hard market. If he cant take the heat then he ain't the guy.  

I am in the same boat and wish/pray that we can get a couple of lucky bounces one year and get a ring. I'd love to replace some of my memorabilia with championship stuff. I know, I know...we will be the butt of all jokes still because they will call us a 1 year wonder and say its about time and we will never do it again but at this stage of my life IDGAF. 

hahahahaha

15 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Lynch is not going to be good

Showed nothing last year.  Siemian, a 7th round pick with a Chad-like arm beat him out easily in TC and preseason even Suckchez outplayed him and when he did play in a regular season game he was a JAGoff

On 6/24/2017 at 4:48 PM, fltflo said:

As a 50 year fan of this franchise and of the game itself, the Hack pick looked like a big reach.
An in spite of all the fans who insist that he must get a chance , franchise QB's step up and take the opportunity. From all the reports we keep hearing he continues to struggle with the pro game. This after one full year in the system, sorry everyone, but the cream of the crop have always grab the bull by the horns and forced there coaches to play them. Not because of where there picked,because there play leaves no doubt about there ability.
This is neither the case with either of our young QB's. which is why you have a Josh McCown now on the team. All the time in the world is not going to make a difference if it's not there in the first place.
I hope I am dead wrong and more then willing to eat a month worth of crow, yet my 50 years tells me our franchise QB is still not on this team.
In closing I also have to ask the question, with a young experienced arm like Kappernick still available,why the hell would you bring in McCown?

I've been a Jet fan for 50+ years and I have no idea if Hack is going to make it or not but if you're trying to develop him, and Petty, then you bring in McCown. If you're trying to sell tickets and merchandise you bring in Kapernick - see Tebow, Tim.

7 hours ago, August said:

Not only just the last four games of his rookie season but he had some good moments early in the season too. The Tampa game while wasn't a good game he at least did some nice things in that game. Decent showing for a unready rookie making his first start. The Thursday Night game against the Pats, a terrible ending with him getting wreck less with the ball throwing those picks, but before that he showed some things despite the rain affecting the receivers (same problem Brady had with his guys dropping passes) and holding his own at Foxborough. The first Bills game. The MNF game against the Falcons was great, and he had a good showing in the 2nd Pats game. But he had some stinkers too, like the Titans game, the Bengals game and the Steelers game. He had a miserable string of games in November against the Bills, Ravens and Dolphins where he looked like he never played football before let alone quarterback. He did bounce back nicely at the end playing well against the Raiders and earning offensive rookie of the week, solid performance against one of the best defensive teams in the league in Carolina, another good performance against the Browns, and a solid performance against the Dolphins who needed to win in order to make the playoffs. 

They looked at everything and felt that they saw enough in him that was worth continuing to develop. Had they felt he wasn't the long term guy they more than likely either draft Bridgewater at 18, or maybe take Garropolo instead of Amaro, in year 2 he improved, in his rookie season he was terrible, in year 2 I would categorize it as inconsistent. He always made some bad mistakes at the worst times during the game and it got frustrating. But despite that he did do some good things, his Raider game was good (bad mistakes like the sack that took them out of field goal range and the red zone fumble), the first half of the Packers game was good until Decker got hurt, against the Bears he looked okay, but like I said earlier he had mistakes at the worst times like forcing a pass on a busted screen play when he should've just either ate the sack or threw it away. Or the awful red zone interception while forcing a pass to a well covered David Nelson. An okay game against the Lions but again bad decision with the awful overthrown pass. Then a good game against a top defensive team in the Broncos, but again bad decision making throwing that pick six at the end. His TNF game against the Pats was his first clean game of the season. Then he got benched against the Bills for throwing 3 interceptions in a row to start the game. Came back a month later in his first start against the Dolphins and didn't really throw a lot. He had a good game against the Vikings again bad decision throwing an errant pass for a pick six early, but bounced back nicely after that. Played well against the Titans and it was a clean game. Played well against the Pats, bad decision with the overthrow of Cumberland, before closing out the season on a high note by having a perfect passer rating against the Dolphins.

Overall I felt he showed enough through the first 2 years that warranted us working with him and developing him. 

He showed flashes, and honestly I thought they catered the whole system to him when Bowles came up.  He's a great fit in Chan's system because it's not complex reads, and it's somewhat similar to the Air Raid systems, without as much read options.  Him getting injured by IK is probably the biggest what if moment for me with the Jets since we didn't get an incomplete pass from Ben on that last pass in Pittsburgh.  

The hard part with evaluating him is really the talent around him.  From that 2014 team, has anyone besides Kerley even done anything?  Holmes is out of the league, Cumberland is lord knows where.  Nelson is out of the league I believe, Salas is basically useless unless he's playing us.  Josh Cribbs, somehow seen a possible savior is out of the league, Stephen Hill has been out of the league and injured, and Kellen Winsolw is jerking off in his driveway.  It's probably one of the worst combination of talent in a receiver core I have ever seen, when you consider what they have done after moving on from here.  I remember podcasts boasting Salim Hakim of all people.   

From what he was given, I didn't think he did all that bad.  Idzik got him a weapon with Decker, but he got hurt, and they panicked on Harvin with media pressure.  You can't develop QBs without giving them weapons.  That's what I love about the Raiders approach, because they went dynamic weapon in Cooper, plus Crabtree.  Even the Jaguars, picking Allen Robinson, and then getting lucky with Hurns.  Even when the Vikings picked Bridgewater, they paired him with Mike Wallace, Cordaralle Patterson, Stefon Diggs, and last year picked up Treadwell, even though he looks like he's sucked.  How are the Eagles trying to develop Wentz?  Alshon Jeffery this year to go with Jordan Mathews.  How are the Titans helping out Mariota? Winston?  Every team that develops QBs goes out and brings along good weapons.  

I have no problem going into Year 3 with Geno, with the idea of Marshall/Decker/Enunwa/Smith as his options.  I don't think that plan was foolish.  It's Fitzpatrick starting over him after the injury that foiled the evaluation process on him.  Once Fitzpatrick was entrenched as the starter, Geno was done, because the team just got behind Fitzpatrick and Bowles was too bad of a coach to actually do anything about it.   If someone could write a manual for how to not develop a QB, I think the path with Geno would have been the perfect one. 

• Upvote 1

It's kind of nuts how Jets boards circle back to this same exact stupid ******* debate once every 2-4 years or so. Considering the essence of Jets fandom is this very thing - hoping that someone else's guy won't be good because we passed on him and in the meantime never hit on anything ourselves - you'd think this one would have gotten settled long ago. But nope, same sh*t. Every time.

On 6/24/2017 at 4:52 PM, win4ever said:

I

Paxton Lynch was horrible last year with a team that won the Superbowl the year before, and a very good receiver core.  Why would anyone worry if he's the one that got away?  They draft Chad Kelly last this year, and their fans are gushing about the possibility of him starting this year, or Trevor Simiean.  That's like saying New England is wondering if Devin Smith is the one that got away two years ago.  

Why are you chastising a QB who was going to take a 1-2 years to mature into the system... for what? For them finding success in a game manager like Siemien? Their 7th rounder is better than our 2nd rounder. 

8 hours ago, thadude said:

Showed nothing last year.  Siemian, a 7th round pick with a Chad-like arm beat him out easily in TC and preseason even Suckchez outplayed him and when he did play in a regular season game he was a JAGoff

The vitriol you're laying down is just furthering you're already murky reputation for being a baseless blowhard

According to Mike Klis of 9News Denver, Paxton Lynch "made his move" on Trevor Siemian during the final two weeks of OTAs.

Klis noticed a turning point in Lynch over the final two weeks as his "switch was flipped." Specifically, Klis found Lynch to be less tentative, no longer worrying about protections, hot reads and coverages. "He started to get it," said Klis. "He started to play as if he was doing just that—playing." Lynch didn't show much as a rookie but appears to be making great strides as a sophomore. If Lynch continues to progress during training camp, there's a real chance of him wrangling the starting job away from Siemian.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Why are you chastising a QB who was going to take a 1-2 years to mature into the system... for what? For them finding success in a game manager like Siemien? Their 7th rounder is better than our 2nd rounder. 

I don't think Lynch is this first round stud that people believe, and I'm not sure why, as of now, there is any reason to believe he's the one that got away.  If we think Lynch is the one that got away, do we also consider Hackenberg "the one we got" because they both needed time in the NFL.  Could Lynch become a good player? Absolutely.  Could Hackenberg become one? Absolutely.  In both cases, the chances favor that they were over-rated.  and the QB of the future for both teams aren't on the team yet.  I think we had this conversation well before the draft as well (when we were rumored to be enamored by him) because I just don't see the secondary skills besides the rocket arm on him.

I have no problem saying that both Lynch and Hackenberg were over-drafts, and there is chance that one or both of them could actually turn out good.  I just don't think too many people are wondering if Lynch is the one that got away when he performed horribly last year as well.  

I don't think Lynch is this first round stud that people believe, and I'm not sure why, as of now, there is any reason to believe he's the one that got away.  If we think Lynch is the one that got away, do we also consider Hackenberg "the one we got" because they both needed time in the NFL.  Could Lynch become a good player? Absolutely.  Could Hackenberg become one? Absolutely.  In both cases, the chances favor that they were over-rated.  and the QB of the future for both teams aren't on the team yet.  I think we had this conversation well before the draft as well (when we were rumored to be enamored by him) because I just don't see the secondary skills besides the rocket arm on him.
I have no problem saying that both Lynch and Hackenberg were over-drafts, and there is chance that one or both of them could actually turn out good.  I just don't think too many people are wondering if Lynch is the one that got away when he performed horribly last year as well.  

I understand your position. No one is expected to like everyone. Feeling like Lynch was overdrafted isn't a dose of crazy.... but your post had a very "objective truth" tone about it. Based on what - The smallest sample size? Of which he won a game?... cmon. That's a load and you know it. Goff looked bad. Lynch looked like he wasn't ready. We'll see where he's at this year - along with the rest of them.

Lynch certainly hasn't done enough yet to start a narrative that the Jets blew it when they passed on him... but he also certainly has done anything yet to say they didn't.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I understand your position. No one is expected to like everyone. Feeling like Lynch was overdrafted isn't a dose of crazy.... but your post had a very "objective truth" tone about it. Based on what - The smallest sample size? Of which he won a game?... cmon. That's a load and you know it. Goff looked bad. Lynch looked like he wasn't ready. We'll see where he's at this year - along with the rest of them.

Lynch certainly hasn't done enough yet to start a narrative that the Jets blew it when they passed on him... but he also certainly has done anything yet to say they didn't.

I disagree with the notion that Lynch has done anything to warrant the "Is he a case of missed draft pick" idea, which was the premise of this opening post.  He didn't look good when he played, and he was placed with a team that had a decent offensive line (came out about average in pass protection), with two high end receivers.  It didn't help that someone like Simien outplayed him in the same system as well.   However, if we're going on just potential, then yes, Lynch has plenty of potential.  But, then in the same token, we can say the same things about say Josh Doctson or Myles Jack.  

I'm only saying this, if Hackenberg is talked about as a bust or reach, then Lynch should be talked about the same way.  If we agree that both Hackenberg or Lynch were multi-year projects, then I have no problem.  

I wouldn't have drafted either of them, because I was high as a kite on Doctson, but I just don't agree with the "Lynch is head and shoulders above Hackenberg" theory when they are both QBs that needed to sit.  Then again, this is the lull in the off-season where we have to rely on media reports to dictate how any of these guys are doing.  I just can't wait for the pre-season to see if either of them made any improvements.