What Would it Take for Hack to be the Starter in 2018?

Skeptable

11 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

It's really not that hard to tell when watching a QB play if he is the real deal, or not.  I watched Carr go 3-13, but knew he was a stud, same with Peyton Manning.  Not every franchise QB wins 10+ gms year 1 like Dak, Russell, and Luck, hell Rodgers won like 5 games his first year starting, BUT everyone knew dude was the truth.

Couldn't agree more. I will use Dak as an example, when I first saw him play you can see how he took command of the offense and gained the respect of his teammates, had confidence in what he was doing, was making the right reads and the game wasn't too big for him. I know we don't have the offensive line that Dallas has but if Hack can hit these timing routes, knows when to throw the ball away, and takes command of the the offense, I think it's a step in the right direction. I would want to see how he progresses every game and what changes he has made from the mistakes that he has made in past games. He is in a tough situation. He is going to have to be brought along similarly to how Tannehill was. 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Friendly bet: Not one of them makes it to FA.

I'm guessing that Cousins/Stafford will get resigned by their teams. Jimmy G gets tagged and traded (assuming Brady doesn't retire) and Brees either resigns or retires.

Cousins is Going to SF, I don't think he signs... Stafford might want to test FA, just think what he might get... I could see that for Jimmy G.... and maybe.

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Cousins is Going to SF, I don't think he signs... Stafford might want to test FA, just think what he might get... I could see that for Jimmy G.... and maybe.

I doubt Stafford wants to leave, and to go where exactly? A losing franchise? I'm sure the Lions will offer him more then what Carr got. 

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

Nah Rodgers would have us, this coming year, at at least 10 wins. He'd probably make our WR's known and relevant. If the Packers WR's started here in NY with our QBs, we would think they're average. 

Sure Rodgers would make our WRs better, but again, he only got 10 wins last year with 3 pretty damn good WRs.

Arod alone isn't gonna give us the equivalent of Jordyn Nelson, Adams and Cobb.

1 hour ago, Lil Woody said:

Let's be honest. The media is always a problem here. Even in the years when we are successful they are circling overhead like buzzards just waiting for their chance to attack. They have a favorite team and they want them to always be the hero and for us to always be the punchline and they work very hard to continue that narrative every day.

If the media narrative is the reason for this teams failures, then it was never good enough to begin with.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

No. To clarify if he does have success it will show he has the stones to play in this market with all the reports saying he sucks. The guy is being written off before he throws a pass in game situations by the media. If he can succeed despite that scrutiny it would say volumes about his mental make-up. If he doesn't succeed it just shows he sucks. Clear?

Fair enough.

31 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I doubt Stafford wants to leave, and to go where exactly? A losing franchise? I'm sure the Lions will offer him more then what Carr got. 

Because the Lions are such an amazing franchise (Hahahahahaha)... What do the Lions have... Why would he want to stay... He would have his choice of nearly half the league going after him. 

How many playoff games have the lions won in the last 60 years? ... Go on look it up... (The answer is 1 - 1991)

How many years have they made the playoffs in the last 25 years?? ... 3 Times.... 

Yeah it seems like he should absolutely stay... How did that work for Barry Sanders.

12 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

It's really not that hard to tell when watching a QB play if he is the real deal, or not.  I watched Carr go 3-13, but knew he was a stud, same with Peyton Manning.  Not every franchise QB wins 10+ gms year 1 like Dak, Russell, and Luck, hell Rodgers won like 5 games his first year starting, BUT everyone knew dude was the truth.

I agree... and I am excited to see Hack play... to see how he looks...

2 hours ago, jdeacon said:

Mastering the playbook should be the easy part for Hack. His football IQ is what you look for when evaluating potential franchise qbs.

With this I would expect he will not struggle with making protection adjustments ( especially if he has forte by his side). I honestly expect to see him make good reads and more often than not throw the ball to the right receiver.

Taking all of that away, if the ball is thrown to the right receiver (i.e. he diagnosed the defense, made the adjustments, put the receiver in a position to succeed) has his mechanics improved that the ball will be in the right place at the right time? If the coaching staff has fixed his footwork, i.e. were he points his feet then we will notice it immediately come game day. We will also notice it immediately if nothing has changed and he gets lazy with his feet again and crumbled under pressure. 

I agree with this..

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

This is what i fear is going to happen, whether it's Hack or McCown leading the way.  The team will find a way to win 4-6 games and take us out of the running to get one of the top 2 QB's in the 2018 draft. 

Oh, That is definitely going to happen

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

He'll be the starter by default because the Jets will stumble themselves into enough wins not to take a top QB next year. Either that or we'll be stuck taking a second tier guy and we will be giving Hack a second chance to start the season until they go to the next guy. That's the depressing outlook of things.

He won't be starter by default... He will have to beat out two back-ups...

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

To more simply answer the question itself (What would it take for Hack to be the starter in 2018?):

Beat out the 2018 1st round pick that summer.

Nothing short of Hackenberg being a stud QB in 2018 should stop the team from drafting another one. If he looks "pretty good" that's still not enough. Considering how raw and unready he was to start as a rookie, Geno looked much improved in the final month of his first year starting -- enough that the team passed on drafting another in 2014. So in order to not repeat that error, we should draft the best QB prospect we can get our hands on in 2018, and then may the better man win that summer.  The only way that shouldn't happen is if Hack is basically a pro bowler (or borderline pro bowler) in 2017, which would then free up the opportunity to draft an edge rusher in round 1.

I agree with this too... I think they need to draft a QB next year no matter what... but if Hack turns out to be who I think he will be this year... the Jets are going to win 6-8 games this year.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Timing is everything. If Hack's chance was like last year, before a draft that didn't have a good QB draft class then his recquisites would be less. Basically, because of Darnold/Rosen/Allen, Hackenberg (unfairly) will need to play lights out from an individual standpoint (not wins/losses as a team). 

The chances of his are slim to none. Its not a reasonable request. But, the Jets who have been quarterback starved since the early 70's when Namath was always hurt will not pass up on a grea prospect (mind you I said prospect not sure thing player)  because Hackenberg has a good season. And that is not Hacken's fault. Tough spot and bad timing for him. 

This team is too young and inexperienced, (even if these players play better than expexcted) to be able to come out and perfect a new offensive system, and win lots of games.

Our most realistic/best case scenario is Hacken has a good year, shows theres a chance he be the guy, but we still end up with a top 3 pick, draft a QB, let said qb and Hack battle it out for a year or two and see who becomes a tradable asset and who is staying long term. 

This makes a lot of sense. But the Jets Defensive Roster is a lot better then they played last year... I think this is going to win them enough games to be choosing in the middle of the first... This is not the first year in the Defensive System... And there were a lot of tired old ball players on that team (last year).... This year we have SR fighting for a big time payday, same with Mo Claiborne. Sure there is some younger players in middle field but I love getting Kevin Greene for them and drafting two stud safeties... 

Offense... Yes I agree there will be struggles, but run the ball a lot make passes when you need to and this team will surprise. 

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Couldn't agree more. I will use Dak as an example, when I first saw him play you can see how he took command of the offense and gained the respect of his teammates, had confidence in what he was doing, was making the right reads and the game wasn't too big for him. I know we don't have the offensive line that Dallas has but if Hack can hit these timing routes, knows when to throw the ball away, and takes command of the the offense, I think it's a step in the right direction. I would want to see how he progresses every game and what changes he has made from the mistakes that he has made in past games. He is in a tough situation. He is going to have to be brought along similarly to how Tannehill was. 

Tannehill is junk... And that is why they have to cater to him... Hack has QB pedigree but should be brought along how Brady was... Dink and Dunk... Let the Defense win you the game.

54 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

The funniest part about all of this is assuming we get the number one pick and that Mac drafts a QB.   He is just as likely to draft a defensive player with the number one overall selection.  Newsflash, we are not winning with Bowles and MacCagnan here.

OMG, don't you get tired of saying the same dumb sh*t over and over... Mac will draft a top qb if we are in position to do so.

6 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

This makes a lot of sense. But the Jets Defensive Roster is a lot better then they played last year... I think this is going to win them enough games to be choosing in the middle of the first... This is not the first year in the Defensive System... And there were a lot of tired old ball players on that team (last year).... This year we have SR fighting for a big time payday, same with Mo Claiborne. Sure there is some younger players in middle field but I love getting Kevin Greene for them and drafting two stud safeties... 

Offense... Yes I agree there will be struggles, but run the ball a lot make passes when you need to and this team will surprise. 

My optimistic side agrees with you that the D will surprise and win us more games than expected. My pessimistic side is cautious and expecting our young D to keep us in games, but lose a lot of close ones (which id be ok with for this year only).

47 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Tannehill is junk... And that is why they have to cater to him... Hack has QB pedigree but should be brought along how Brady was... Dink and Dunk... Let the Defense win you the game.

You're seriously comparing Brady and Hack?

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

To more simply answer the question itself (What would it take for Hack to be the starter in 2018?):

Beat out the 2018 1st round pick that summer.

Nothing short of Hackenberg being a stud QB in 2018 should stop the team from drafting another one. If he looks "pretty good" that's still not enough. Considering how raw and unready he was to start as a rookie, Geno looked much improved in the final month of his first year starting -- enough that the team passed on drafting another in 2014. So in order to not repeat that error, we should draft the best QB prospect we can get our hands on in 2018, and then may the better man win that summer.  The only way that shouldn't happen is if Hack is basically a pro bowler (or borderline pro bowler) in 2017, which would then free up the opportunity to draft an edge rusher in round 1.

I don't even think Hack will be on the roster in 2018 but even if he was and we go 4-12 there is no way he's beating out Rosen or Allen.  Even Lamar Jackson would start over Hack, easily

54 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I don't think Tannehill is Junk, but he is not that great either. He improved under Gase, this year will be more telling as they have improved on the o-line and have a run game and their D is better than last year, no one hates the Fins more than me so I hope he just stays mediocre. In Tannehill's first year it was all dink and dunk and not many throws over 20 yards ( Hack will hopefully have the accuracy to go down field more often). Tannehill threw a lot of slants to his speedy WR's who had good amount of Yac. 

6 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I don't think Tannehill is Junk, but he is not that great either. He improved under Gase, this year will be more telling as they have improved on the o-line and have a run game and their D is better than last year, no one hates the Fins more than me so I hope he just stays mediocre. In Tannehill's first year it was all dink and dunk and not many throws over 20 yards ( Hack will hopefully have the accuracy to go down field more often). Tannehill threw a lot of slants to his speedy WR's who had good amount of Yac. 

I'm not saying he's good, but Ryan Tannenhill would probably be the best Jets QB since Joe Namath - and Jet fans would rather have the guy who finished in 4th place in a quarterbacking competition that included Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, and Bryce Petty.

29 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I'm not saying he's good, but Ryan Tannenhill would probably be the best Jets QB since Joe Namath - and Jet fans would rather have the guy who finished in 4th place in a quarterbacking competition that included Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, and Bryce Petty.

I think I'd rather have a guy that was total trash than a guy like Tannehill who gives you false hope but never wins anything. Tannehill is a Pennington/Sanchez type who eeks out the second contract but will never be good. Wouldn't you rather crash and burn with Hackenberg and take a clean stab on a 1st round QB in 2018 than stick with Tannehill for the next four years?

I was a much bigger fan of Chad Pennington than Ryan Tannehill.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

You're seriously comparing Brady and Hack?

In no way was he comparing Hack to Brady. Not sure where you see that. Very clearly he suggests giving Hack an offence that Brady uses "Dink and Dunk".

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Can't argue with that.

Archived