What Would it Take for Hack to be the Starter in 2018?

Skeptable

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

You dont get to decide what I want to talk about and when I talk about it and I who I talk about it with, but thanks for the input.   

That said, I didnt say anything about drafting 2 safeties.  I said Mac took a S over 2 QB prospects in a year that he didnt have a QB.  Cute rant though.

He just did the same thing with me right after yours.

I replied to a post about him being on or off the 2018 roster - not even making the argument that he'll be cut - and the irrelevant reply he left me is that McCown won't start this year.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He just did the same thing with me right after yours.

I replied to a post about him being on or off the 2018 roster - not even making the argument that he'll be cut - and the irrelevant reply he left me is that McCown won't start this year.

Rough morning with the newborn... Skimmed rather then reading the actual text and saw Hack as #2... anyway... you are right... 

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Leave drafting 2 safeties out of this, please.  

You are right... I jumped the gun... I just have Crusher, thadude and dbatesman's replies so often in my posts that I got defensive too quick about how dumb it was to draft two safeties and get tired of that response. Still thinking that Jamal Adams is going to be one of the best safeties Jets have ever seen and not drafting him would have been a bigger mistake.

15 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Rough morning with the newborn... Skimmed rather then reading the actual text and saw Hack as #2... anyway... you are right... 

You are right... I jumped the gun... I just have Crusher, thadude and dbatesman's replies so often in my posts that I got defensive too quick about how dumb it was to draft two safeties and get tired of that response. Still thinking that Jamal Adams is going to be one of the best safeties Jets have ever seen and not drafting him would have been a bigger mistake.

All good.  I'm a Watson fan and would have ran to the podium to take him but I've been wrong once before.

On 6/27/2017 at 0:18 PM, Skeptable said:

Simple question but what would you want to see Hack do this year in order for the Jets to see him as the future starter for years to come?

Now, nobody has seen him play in a real game yet but in order to stay a starter for 2018 I think Hack has to do (Please don't take this as a guess of what he will do or I want him to do, this is simply an exercise in what it would take for him to look at him as the future):

1. Start Opening Day 2017 (This proves that he beat out the competition)

2. Start all 16 games (barring injury but even with with an injury I believe he needs to start 14+)

3. Pass for at a bare minimum 3,000 yards 

4. TD/ INT rate of t least better then 1/1

5. A competence of the offense... Throws the ball away when necessary... realizes mistakes... 

6. a Record of 6-10 or better

7. Compete in every game... No blow outs...

I agree with most of this, except maybe 1 and 7. 

1. He could not win out the QB competition and come in week 3, 4 or 5 and light it up- to me that would still mean he can be the future. 

7. He could have one or two off games that ended up being blowouts (not nec. his fault- maybe the defense?) and I would still consider him the future Jets QB (assuming the other things you mention came to fruition). D.Carr had a couple of blowout games and the Raiders ended his rookie season 3-13. He still turned out to be a heck of a QB. 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I agree with most of this, except maybe 1 and 7. 

1. He could not win out the QB competition and come in week 3, 4 or 5 and light it up- to me that would still mean he can be the future. 

7. He could have one or two off games that ended up being blowouts (not nec. his fault- maybe the defense?) and I would still consider him the future Jets QB (assuming the other things you mention came to fruition). D.Carr had a couple of blowout games and the Raiders ended his rookie season 3-13. He still turned out to be a heck of a QB. 

If he doesn't start game 1 and beat out a journeyman and a back-up then I don't think he is good enough to be the QB of the future... He should be able to at the least beat out those JAGS...

Again if there is a blowout I don't think the mental make-up is strong enough to tough it out in NY... They have to compete in every game... 

On 6/28/2017 at 3:11 PM, gEYno said:

Sure - I agree with this - but that's not really the point.  Because you're not arguing Hackenberg vs. Tannehill, you're arguing Darnold et. al vs. Tannehill.

Well, it's kind of the same isn't it? I don't think anyone is saying "would you rather lock into Hackenberg for the next four years." Anyone who would ride or die with Hack for the foreseeable future given what we know is a lunatic.

If the exercise was "win as many games as possible over the next four years, would you rather have Tannehill as your starter or Hack" I think any sane person would take Tannehill. But in reality an average QB who puts up decent stats but secretly sucks and commands no respect in the locker room and loses every big game he ever plays in is almost the worst thing you can have in the NFL. You end up in purgatory like the 8 seed in the NBA where you aren't remotely close to contending but you're too good to have a chance to get a real guy, and afraid to replace captain mediocre because you know how bad the alternative is. Hackenberg is at least an unknown (technically if not in reality.)

54 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well, it's kind of the same isn't it? I don't think anyone is saying "would you rather lock into Hackenberg for the next four years." Anyone who would ride or die with Hack for the foreseeable future given what we know is a lunatic.

If the exercise was "win as many games as possible over the next four years, would you rather have Tannehill as your starter or Hack" I think any sane person would take Tannehill. But in reality an average QB who puts up decent stats but secretly sucks and commands no respect in the locker room and loses every big game he ever plays in is almost the worst thing you can have in the NFL. You end up in purgatory like the 8 seed in the NBA where you aren't remotely close to contending but you're too good to have a chance to get a real guy, and afraid to replace captain mediocre because you know how bad the alternative is. Hackenberg is at least an unknown (technically if not in reality.)

No way, Tannehill is not an NFL QB... Hack is unknown... I would rather run with the unknown then a mediocre Back-up....

On 6/27/2017 at 1:22 PM, Skeptable said:

You and Jeremy ... I mean seriously... does every thread need to be Hack is horrible?... if you don't want to participate go derail the other threads.

Learn to expect it from this guy on every topic now rather than later and you'll save yourself a lot of stress.

12 hours ago, Skeptable said:

And if the Jets turn out to be better then expected? And the Jets have a ton of cap room with a top tier Defense... You never know... its a year away and Stafford isn't signed yet... Again I am in the minority here but all this talk of doom and gloom makes me even more confident this team is going to surprise and compete and every game.

You are assuming quite a lot my optimistic friend. I am not glooming and dooming here just being realistic. Until they show it on the field it is going to take a lot of money to get top-tier FA's to want sign with this team no matter how much cap space they have. I expect them to have to overpay even middle of the road FA's to even entertain the thought of signing with the Jets. Especially if they have the high draft pick most think they will.

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Though technically true, this is that's an oversimplification that suggests he's as much a clean slate as any total unknown or as someone with a more successful history.

He's primarily faced this scrutiny because he was 4th string on a team with 3 lousy QBs, after being drafted in round 2, which itself followed 2 college seasons that would have kept lower profile QBs out of the draft's first 2 rounds. 

Then he had that awful close to the preseason, followed by losing out to Petty midseason when he was given another chance to be Fitz's backup after Geno went on IR. Further still, and despite any fans rationalizing why it was smart to keep him as a backup through the final game, the optics of that weren't good. All this while, a rookie QB drafted 2+ rounds later made the pro bowl.

When he gets drafted so much higher than expected, and the team that does it is already one of the sports media's favorite punching bags, it's not unexpected for that scrutiny to be even greater.  Like most people, the self-proclaimed draft experts and other sports talking heads love to say "I told you so" and harping on Hackenberg is little more than a form of just that.

I agree with those reasons as well. If Hack is the starter that scrutiny will only intensify as the season goes on for all those reasons. If He can succeed in the face of what will amount to be a ton of adversity it will say volumes about his mental ability to withstand the rigors of playing here. It will also vindicate Macc for picking him where he did. Now do I believe Hack can do it? I truly don't know because I really have nothing to go on to have an opinion. This will have to be played out in the pre-season and camp. Gun to my head? I would say right now NO I don't think Hack will measure up and the franchise QB hunt will continue. Prove me wrong Hack and I will gladly eat crow. Until then......who knows?

31 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

You are assuming quite a lot my optimistic friend. I am not glooming and dooming here just being realistic. Until they show it on the field it is going to take a lot of money to get top-tier FA's to want sign with this team no matter how much cap space they have. I expect them to have to overpay even middle of the road FA's to even entertain the thought of signing with the Jets. Especially if they have the high draft pick most think they will.

I don't buy into the media and common jets fans mentality that the roster is horrible... it is unknown, but not horrible yet... the guys that hurt the roster last year are gone... at least the majority of them... they were disfunctional and ended up not working as a team... that turned bad quick.... then the second half of the year turned into a waste... now they have players that won't give up halfway through the season because they are still aiming for a large contract... They will surprise everyone and shut the media up on their agenda to bash the jets

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Says what... a preseason game and the media agenda... why not wait till you see hack before you bash him

So it's fake news Hack looks bad in practice and hits reporters in the face standing 10 feet from the sidelines?

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

So it's fake news Hack looks bad in practice and hits reporters in the face standing 10 feet from the sidelines?

Do you even know the context behind those throws... obviously not... because it has repeatedly be proven that they were routine passes that the Receiver screwed up on and they were working on timing... yet two passes that bounced and hit people on the sideline of screen passes that the Recievers made bad breaks on are now terrible throws because the media wanted to press an agenda...

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Do you even know the context behind those throws... obviously not... because it has repeatedly be proven that they were routine passes that the Receiver screwed up on and they were working on timing... yet two passes that bounced and hit people on the sideline of screen passes that the Recievers made bad breaks on are now terrible throws because the media wanted to press an agenda...

Thanks for repeating Kim Jones's talking points.  She is the worst she even likes Bowles

3 minutes ago, thadude said:

Thanks for repeating Kim Jones's talking points.  She is the worst she even likes Bowles

It wasn't just kim jones... it was multiple sources... where the hitting the reporter came from one source and was repeated numerous times... you are just fitting a narrative to your agenda much like conner hughs

The whole getting passes thrown to reporters thing is overblown. Doesn't mean he doesn't have accuracy issues, he does, but it seems like the incidents in question had more to it than "LOL Hack threw it bouncing towards Cimini's feet in what may or may not have been a drill designed for him to overthrow a WR  right into his face, what a loser!"

Its silly to use the warm-up to the warm-up that is the spring practices to evaluate him anyway. One could just as easily prop up his awesome first day of mini-camp as a sign that he's our golden boy as they could use some other bad throws he made on the few days the media's seen him as a sign he's going nowhere. Neither is really all that telling.

If anything the only thing that will be telling about his performance at OTA's and Mini-camp is how different he is from then till when August roles around. That's really all its for, its just a time to get a feel for what they'll be doing later.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

You calling someone the worst for knowing more than you ever will is perfection.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

I don't buy into the media and common jets fans mentality that the roster is horrible... it is unknown, but not horrible yet... the guys that hurt the roster last year are gone... at least the majority of them... they were disfunctional and ended up not working as a team... that turned bad quick.... then the second half of the year turned into a waste... now they have players that won't give up halfway through the season because they are still aiming for a large contract... They will surprise everyone and shut the media up on their agenda to bash the jets

I never said the roster was horrible just unproven. You don't know what type of players they have until you see how they function as a cohesive unit. That is up too the coaches to develop these young guys. Bowles has yet to show he can do that on a consistent basis. That is the basis for my doubt. I will reserve judgement until TC and the pre season. Until then its all just speculation and conjecture. Your optimism is fine but a bit misplaced so far.

easy -- he has to be the reason we win games in 2017.... could be 6, could be more, but it clearly has to be Hack that does the heavy lifting to win those games. Not a couple series. Not a decent quarter... he has to be the best player on the team. Repeatedly 

7 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

I never said the roster was horrible just unproven. You don't know what type of players they have until you see how they function as a cohesive unit. That is up too the coaches to develop these young guys. Bowles has yet to show he can do that on a consistent basis. That is the basis for my doubt. I will reserve judgement until TC and the pre season. Until then its all just speculation and conjecture. Your optimism is fine but a bit misplaced so far.

My optimism is only triggered by the consistent narrative that the jets are the worst... i am more skeptical of those media driven talking points then an unproven staff of young players that showed some promise last year.... in my opinion the negative side is the misplaced side... 

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

easy -- he has to be the reason we win games in 2017.... could be 6, could be more, but it clearly has to be Hack that does the heavy lifting to win those games. Not a couple series. Not a decent quarter... he has to be the best player on the team. Repeatedly 

Agreed

Archived