Vince Young wonders why Ryan Fitzpatrick playing but not him

Gas2No99

Young: 'Garbage' Fitzpatrick playing, not me?

• laine_jenna.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Jenna LaineESPN Staff Writer

TAMPA, Fla. -- Former NFL quarterback Vince Young took a shot at Tampa Bay Buccaneers backup Ryan Fitzpatrick when questioning why some quarterbacks have continued to get opportunities in the NFL and he hasn't.

"I'd see a quarterback and be like, 'Dude is garbage, and I'm over here in the kitchen cooking turkey necks!?'" Young told Sports Illustrated.

"I hate to name-drop, but [Ryan] Fitzpatrick is still playing!? He leads the league in interceptions, and he's still f------ getting paid? I mean, what the f--- is going on?"

Fitzpatrick's 17 interceptions last season for the New York Jets were actually third-most in the league, behind Philip Rivers (21) and new Bucs teammate Jameis Winston (18). Fitzpatrick threw an NFL-high 23 interceptions for the Buffalo Bills in 2011.

Young, 34, recently attempted a comeback with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League, but he suffered a torn hamstring in training camp and was waived earlier this month.

Young's last shot with an NFL team came in May 2014, when he signed a one-year contract with the Cleveland Browns; he was released less than two weeks later, after they drafted Johnny Manziel. Young announced his retirement the next month, having thrown 46 touchdown passes and 51 interceptions during his NFL career.

Young led the Texas Longhorns to a BCS National Championship and was the third overall pick of the Tennessee Titans in the 2006 NFL draft. He was named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and reached the Pro Bowl in 2006 and 2009, but he struggled to maintain that level of success. His last regular-season action came in a six-game stint with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2011.

Besides the Browns, he has had offseason looks from Buffalo and the Green Bay Packers.

He filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2014.

Young also told Sports Illustrated that his former Titans head coach Jeff Fisher took all the fun out of football.

"I'm going to expose his ass," Young said.

Young described an incident in which he was left behind on a road trip to Philadelphia after he left his ID at home and went to retrieve it.

"I feel like Fisher did that s--- on purpose," Young said, adding that Fisher had held the plane for other players in the past. "I'm pulling in, seeing them pull the door down. I can hear the team yelling."

Young later told Fisher, "Where I'm from, that's like saying F you."

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fitzpatrick's teammates usually like him at least. He also isn't a bucket of drama who randomly disappears because he had a hard day. Fitzpatrick, while sucking, will generally take responsibility for sucking and doesn't continually whine to the media about not being allowed to suck.

On 6/27/2017 at 2:05 PM, Joe Jets fan said:

Because Fitz is smart as hell and Young is dumb as sh*t.  That's why

The NFL is big business owned and run by stuffy old men, generally.  

The players seem to not always get this.  You act like a flake, or think its your stage to disrespect the flag, you should not be surprised to not get any job offers.

Let's see how many offers Revis gets.  He may be blackballed too.   Most owners will think that if Revis can steal Woody's money, he will steal mine too.

53 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Fitzpatrick's teammates usually like him at least.

If they liked a coffee table it would have been better for the team.

Moreover, we know that SOME liked him. I can't imagine players looking at those missed playoff checks after a 3-INT 4th quarter were particularly enamored...

48 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Because Fitz is smart as hell and Young is dumb as sh*t.  That's why

You would think a player with his "smarts" would somehow not make the playoff killing plays he's made over and over and over again in a career that has spanned several teams and a decade.

You would think a 'smart' player would avoid running into other football players without a helmet, something I've seen him do many times. And, please, before you cite his graduation from whatever Ivy League school it was, remember, he's an athlete, a QB, so probably didn't do half of his own work.

On 6/27/2017 at 2:18 PM, varjet said:

The NFL is big business owned and run by stuffy old men, generally.  

The players seem to not always get this.  You act like a flake, or think its your stage to disrespect the flag, you should not be surprised to not get any job offers.

Let's see how many offers Revis gets.  He may be blackballed too.   Most owners will think that if Revis can steal Woody's money, he will steal mine too.

And suppose you're a coach who is on the fence about picking him up as your third QB and you pick up the paper and see him ripping his ex-coach.  No thanks.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Young has an interview that's filled with whining, criticizing other players, and blaming coaches.  Yeah, real tough to put together why he's out of the league.

I'm excited for the Matt Leinart follow up piece.

15 minutes ago, phill1c said:

If they liked a coffee table it would have been better for the team.

Moreover, we know that SOME liked him. I can't imagine players looking at those missed playoff checks after a 3-INT 4th quarter were particularly enamored...

If the coffee table had similar stats to vince young and was liked by the team then yes, it would be a better option. I understand that your intentional misunderstanding was to further some crusade and generally I'm a firm believe that you never let facts get in the way of a good crusade, but not when you have to go to such lengths to shoehorn your point in there.

Young asks a good question  but he just isn't the one to ask it. 

Now Farve who it was rumored to want to play last year should ask that question.

Indeed despite the hate out here of Farve , if he wanted to play until he was 70 years old he would be and have been a better option than Fitz at anytime.  

Period!!

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Fitzpatrick's teammates usually like him at least. He also isn't a bucket of drama who randomly disappears because he had a hard day. Fitzpatrick, while sucking, will generally take responsibility for sucking and doesn't continually whine to the media about not being allowed to suck.

You know outside of his clique (Marshall, Mangold, Decker, Clady, etc... (all gone BTW) I did not really get the impression he was that popular with the Jets players especially after some of his comments.

There is simply more value in having a smart/experienced/pocket passing Qb as your backup than having a "dual threat" knucklehead/distraction as your backup QB (see Young/Kap/Manziel). 

When you are grooming a young QB like Hack or Winston the last thing you want are guys like Kap/Young/Manziel as their mentor. Despite their off the field issues, they aren't going to help the kids develop as pocket passers. 

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You know outside of his clique (Marshall, Mangold, Decker, Clady, etc... (all gone BTW) I did not really get the impression he was that popular with the Jets players especially after some of his comments.

But I thought the ENTIRE locker room loved Fitzpatrick?

36 minutes ago, phill1c said:

You would think a player with his "smarts" would somehow not make the playoff killing plays he's made over and over and over again in a career that has spanned several teams and a decade.

You would think a 'smart' player would avoid running into other football players without a helmet, something I've seen him do many times. And, please, before you cite his graduation from whatever Ivy League school it was, remember, he's an athlete, a QB, so probably didn't do half of his own work.

I am confused. Are you saying Vince Young should be in a team instead of Fitz?  Or are you just saying Fitz sucks?

i agree Fitz sucks.  Vince Young just sucks much more.  

40 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Um, he also has the highest wonderlic score. Sounds like you hate for the sake of hate.  Get a grip and discuss the topic 

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Young: 'Garbage' Fitzpatrick playing, not me?

• laine_jenna.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Jenna LaineESPN Staff Writer

TAMPA, Fla. -- ...."I hate to name-drop, but [Ryan] Fitzpatrick is still playing!? He leads the league in interceptions, and he's still f------ getting paid? I mean, what the f--- is going on?"...

...Young announced his retirement the next month, having thrown 46 touchdown passes and 51 interceptions during his NFL career.

And Fitzpatrick has 166 TD passes to 133 interceptions for his career.  Bad stat to point to, Vince.

The reason Fitzpatrick has lasted so long despite being "on the bubble" talent-wise is that he exudes positivity.  Also, despite not being as swift as many other QBs he's made his running game very effective by choosing his spots to run,  efficient use of blocks and putting his head down and pushing the tacklers back.  And he doesn't complain. That's why he's in the league, despite QBs of equal or even  slightly greater ability not being able to find  a team.

I think people know how I feel about Fitz but I will defend him here.  Vince Young's career high in TDs is TWELVE, the most wins he ever led a team to in a season was 9.Ryan threw 32 TDs for us and we won 10 games w/ him.  Vince has thrown 5 more INts than TDs in his career, Fitz is +33.

Vince couldn't cut it in canada(the game is very different but his skillset is more suited for the CFL), time to pipe down and go away as a great college QB who couldn't cut it in the NFL.  Maybe the Mets could sign him?

Look at Vince Young trying to stay relevant. He just needs to keep quiet, and enjoy retirement.

1 hour ago, kelticwizard said:

And Fitzpatrick has 166 TD passes to 133 interceptions for his career.  Bad stat to point to, Vince.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, who doesnt have a ton of talent- was a 7th round pick out of a non football conference and has carved out a relatively successful, long career for himself as a backup/spot starter. That doesnt happen by luck- he's earned that. The percentage of 7th round QB's who play more than 2 years is probably less than 3%.

Vince Young was a top 3 pick from Texas who was basically given everything you could ask for and he decided to eat and drink himself out of football. The media flaming these types of stories(and we know exactly what they're trying to do here) is well, garbage.

VY trying to climb on that Kaepernick sympathy train is a weak move. Young has serious, legitimate emotional issues that need addressing. If you don't show up to a job interview in a halfway decent suit talking about how Company X is the greatest company in the world, and how your biggest weakness is that "you're a workaholic," you're not getting that job. Fitzpatrick is an awful QB whose suckage is well-chronicled, but he knows enough to send a thank-you email to the HR chick after the initial interview. 

Fitz may make a boneheaded decision and throw a bad pick, but he'll at least get you into the right play to give you a chance at success before he screws up.

Vince will keep you in / audible to the wrong play, then double down and make a boneheaded decision, thus giving you no chance at all.

That's the difference.

The whole thing is silly, Fitzpatrick is a better QB than Vince Young period.  FItz was roughly the 30-35th best QB in the league last year.  Let's say 40th for argument sake.  In short a low end starter or a high end backup.

VY without his character issues, would be maybe a fringe third stringer?  Yea...

Archived