Vince Young wonders why Ryan Fitzpatrick playing but not him

Gas2No99

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick, who doesnt have a ton of talent- was a 7th round pick out of a non football conference and has carved out a relatively successful, long career for himself as a backup/spot starter. That doesnt happen by luck- he's earned that. The percentage of 7th round QB's who play more than 2 years is probably less than 3%.

Vince Young was a top 3 pick from Texas who was basically given everything you could ask for and he decided to eat and drink himself out of football. The media flaming these types of stories(and we know exactly what they're trying to do here) is well, garbage.

Busts don't transition to journeyman....it just doesn't happen.  

maybe Sanchez but he wasn't a bust per se, he just plateaued early in his career and never got better.  

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/27/2017 at 2:18 PM, varjet said:

The NFL is big business owned and run by stuffy old men, generally.  

The players seem to not always get this.  You act like a flake, or think its your stage to disrespect the flag, you should not be surprised to not get any job offers.

Let's see how many offers Revis gets.  He may be blackballed too.   Most owners will think that if Revis can steal Woody's money, he will steal mine too.

no. most everyone can see that Revis' skill set has deteriorated to the point where he sucks and everyone watching the Jets last year saw that he played like he didn't give 2 shts with no hustle.  Add to that he offers not one ounce of veteran leadership to the younger players and is known as a greedy, me-first selfish prick with no loyalty...  need I go on?

Foolish by Vince.  He probably is a better QB than Fitz (not saying much), but he could also learn a lot from Fitz.  Like how to "act" the part of a legit NFL QB.  Fitz has done that well enough to fool teams and fans alike.

12mil from the Jets and the poll below prove it's very possible to get support even when you suck miserably.

I think most of these responses are taking the wrong angle. It doesn't matter that Vince Young is cuckoo, or done as a player. By insulting/dismissing Vince, you defend Fitz.

The real perspective on this is: even a crazy bastid like Vince Young knows Fitz is garbage, so wtf is was our GM and HC looking at?

Fitz's career has been built on the misfortune of other QBs, some okay seasons, being a loyal and positive player (until last year) and being available many times at the right time. Change one or two events and he probably has half the NFL career. 

Vince Young never took his pro career seriously, was disliked by a lot of people and never had a good season. It's not rocket science.

Fitz is actually a good qb for very short stints until he is exposed. Generally for about a half a year or so on each team he goes to he can look good and hide his deficiencies. But when it's over it's over like a pumpkin at midnight. Let the fireworks begin. Vince Young just outright sucks as a team mate and is a poor QB all the time. No bright spots not even good as a backup.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Vince Young does not have the most important Fitzpatrick skill.... If a team has a QB that they don't like that much, but feel obligated to give him a chance to develop, by acquiring Fitzpatrick, there is a 98.7543% chance that their QB will get hurt, and they can move on from him. If VY really wants to stay in the NFL, given that he is an awful, awful QB, he should learn how Fitzpatrick developed that particular skill.

Vince Young does not have the most important Fitzpatrick skill.... If a team has a QB that they don't like that much, but feel obligated to give him a chance to develop, by acquiring Fitzpatrick, there is a 98.7543% chance that their QB will get hurt, and they can move on from him. If VY really wants to stay in the NFL, given that he is an awful, awful QB, he should learn how Fitzpatrick developed that particular skill.

Certain QB's have coveted skills such as you mentioned above...like our own Josh McCown is paid very good money as he always gets teams the #1 pick mostly everywhere he goes. Vince has no such skill.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

18 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

The reason Fitzpatrick has lasted so long despite being "on the bubble" talent-wise is that he exudes positivity.  Also, despite not being as swift as many other QBs he's made his running game very effective by choosing his spots to run,  efficient use of blocks and putting his head down and pushing the tacklers back.  And he doesn't complain. That's why he's in the league, despite QBs of equal or even  slightly greater ability not being able to find  a team.

Doesn't complain? Have you actually ever listened to him. He is a total passive aggressive douchenozzle that is ALWAYS complaining about something.

21 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Probably doesn't help that you're cray-cray and a sh*tty teammate.  Just sayin'.

Cookin' up dem turkey necks -- he could have at least gone for the meaty turkey wings.  Yep, cray as hell.

21 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Young: 'Garbage' Fitzpatrick playing, not me?

• laine_jenna.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Jenna LaineESPN Staff Writer

TAMPA, Fla. -- Former NFL quarterback Vince Young took a shot at Tampa Bay Buccaneers backup Ryan Fitzpatrick when questioning why some quarterbacks have continued to get opportunities in the NFL and he hasn't.

"I'd see a quarterback and be like, 'Dude is garbage, and I'm over here in the kitchen cooking turkey necks!?'" Young told Sports Illustrated.

"I hate to name-drop, but [Ryan] Fitzpatrick is still playing!? He leads the league in interceptions, and he's still f------ getting paid? I mean, what the f--- is going on?"

Fitzpatrick's 17 interceptions last season for the New York Jets were actually third-most in the league, behind Philip Rivers (21) and new Bucs teammate Jameis Winston (18). Fitzpatrick threw an NFL-high 23 interceptions for the Buffalo Bills in 2011.

Young, 34, recently attempted a comeback with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League, but he suffered a torn hamstring in training camp and was waived earlier this month.

Young's last shot with an NFL team came in May 2014, when he signed a one-year contract with the Cleveland Browns; he was released less than two weeks later, after they drafted Johnny Manziel. Young announced his retirement the next month, having thrown 46 touchdown passes and 51 interceptions during his NFL career.

Young led the Texas Longhorns to a BCS National Championship and was the third overall pick of the Tennessee Titans in the 2006 NFL draft. He was named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and reached the Pro Bowl in 2006 and 2009, but he struggled to maintain that level of success. His last regular-season action came in a six-game stint with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2011.

Besides the Browns, he has had offseason looks from Buffalo and the Green Bay Packers.

He filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2014.

Young also told Sports Illustrated that his former Titans head coach Jeff Fisher took all the fun out of football.

"I'm going to expose his ass," Young said.

Young described an incident in which he was left behind on a road trip to Philadelphia after he left his ID at home and went to retrieve it.

"I feel like Fisher did that s--- on purpose," Young said, adding that Fisher had held the plane for other players in the past. "I'm pulling in, seeing them pull the door down. I can hear the team yelling."

Young later told Fisher, "Where I'm from, that's like saying F you."

Retirement, post-NFL career

On June 14, 2014, Young announced his retirement. After announcing his retirement, he did say for a "guaranteed offer", he would come out of retirement. Young stated he also planned to work at the University of Texas in some form following his retirement

Well, theres your answer.

23 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

If the coffee table had similar stats to vince young and was liked by the team then yes, it would be a better option. I understand that your intentional misunderstanding was to further some crusade and generally I'm a firm believe that you never let facts get in the way of a good crusade, but not when you have to go to such lengths to shoehorn your point in there.

I thought this was about Ryan Fitzpatrick and his suckage. Apparently, it's about the audacity of ANYONE to criticize a loser you've hooked your wagon to.

23 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Um, he also has the highest wonderlic score. Sounds like you hate for the sake of hate.  Get a grip and discuss the topic 

A wonderlic score is not the end-all and be-all of intellectual assessment. Or, apparently, a good predictor of success as an NFL QB.

I don't hate him; I despise his play as a New York Jets QB. I'm sure he's quite a fun guy to watch a football game with while we comb each other's beards...

7 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I thought this was about Ryan Fitzpatrick and his suckage. Apparently, it's about the audacity of ANYONE to criticize a loser you've hooked your wagon to.

well when the guy that criticized him is even WORSE than he is...

24 minutes ago, phill1c said:

The world hasn't changed, has it? But I could see how you could not understand the racial elements of the thread and topic. To recap:

Black QB slams white QB for being garbage and not getting a fair shake himself.

I didn't make it a racial issue, Vince Young and the non-racial person who posted the article on this board did. Don't make me the villain for pointing out the racial element of the topic and opinions.

except he got more than a fair shake himself both in the NFL and CFL and failed in both leagues.  this was a man w/ a career high of only 12 TDs.  Please stop, the racism excuse is getting old.

53 minutes ago, phill1c said:

The world hasn't changed, has it? But I could see how you could not understand the racial elements of the thread and topic. To recap:

I didn't make it a racial issue, Vince Young and the non-racial person who posted the article on this board did. Don't make me the villain for pointing out the racial element of the topic and opinions.

First overall draft pic didnt get a fair shake because he is black but 7th round draft pick did because he is white.... ohhhhhkay.....  do you watch NFL football?

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Jet/BosoxFan wonders why thadude is able to post on this message board and he isn't.

Life isn't meant to be fair.

but is jet/bosoxFan frying up some turkey necks while wondering????

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

Too bad the course is a straight line...

Anyway, I don't particularly have much love for Vince Young. But it does seem...unfair...that Fitzpatrick gets so many chances and so much love for a QB who hasn't produced ANYWHERE he's been and for so long.

That said, I don't expect a lot of empathy from this crowd, who only seem to share that emotion with old, useless white guys.

Fitz had equal or more wins with the Jets win 2015 than Vince Young had touchdown passes in all but one of his careers as a professional QB

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

Regardless of the possibility of anything racial in the decision making.

Vince Young himself in this article does the following:

discuss his former coach by saying "I'm going to expose his ass," Young said.

refuse to accept responsibility himself for the poor decisions he's made.

he was also an aging former QB let go by being unable to stay healthy enough to make a CFL roster?

my question would be ... Regardless of color ... who in their right mind would want a bad mouthing former coach, blame everyone but himself, injury prone, old, bad QB on their team?

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Doesn't complain? Have you actually ever listened to him. He is a total passive aggressive douchenozzle that is ALWAYS complaining about something.

I lost a lot of respect for Fitzgarbage last season.  Bowles is an idiot but to throw your coaching staff under a bus publicly like that when you're getting $12 mil to be a crappy qb c'mon

37 minutes ago, ljr said:

Regardless of the possibility of anything racial in the decision making.

Vince Young himself in this article does the following:

discuss his former coach by saying "I'm going to expose his ass," Young said.

refuse to accept responsibility himself for the poor decisions he's made.

he was also an aging former QB let go by being unable to stay healthy enough to make a CFL roster?

my question would be ... Regardless of color ... who in their right mind would want a bad mouthing former coach, blame everyone but himself, injury prone, old, bad QB on their team?

Don't laugh but after Cutler's agent rejects Mac's contract offer in October he might be giving VY a ring

1 hour ago, ljr said:

Wait!! Didn't Fitzpatrick DO EXACTLY THAT LAST YEAR??!!

When Fitzpatrick was deservedly benched, he:

• Bad mouthed the coach and the GM
  • Blamed everyone but himself
  • Is injury prone
  • Is old
  • and probably the worst QB in the NFL

Yet you're supporting him...

53 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Valid points, all...

But the other valid point left out is "why is Fitzpatrick still playing?"

You failed to address that point.

I understand part of it: He says all the right things, you know, except when his job is threatened or taken away. The problem is he does all the wrong things. And there aren't [m]any Black QBs in the league that could get away with that combination and have the level of unconditional support that he enjoys.

As much as I can't stand him, Fitz is a traditional drop back QB that was willing to take a small amount of money to back up and mentor a young QB and Vince Young is a 34 year old, mentally unstable cry baby who, judging by this article, obviously never matured.  He also isn't willing to take the Vet minimum and still somehow believes he's a starting caliber QB.  That's why Ryan is playing and Young isn't.  It's not about color or anything of the sort.  Vince is just a sh*tty QB that isn't likeable and his baggage and talent aren't worth what he wants to be added to an NFL roster.  Lastly, the dude was the 4th string on one of the worst teams in the CFL in terms of QBs before his fat ass tore his hammy from being in awful shape.  He'd be cut after his 4th pass in an NFL camp.

Archived