I'm bored, let's talk tailgating...

Maxman

1. What is your go to tailgating meal?

2. TV at the tailgate or no TV?

3. If you were tailgating with someone at they didn't drink would you want to punch them in the face or kick them in the face?

4. When you realize that the person from # 3 can drive you home each week how would you apologize for the punch \ kick to the face?

5. Best NFL stadium for a tailgate?

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

3. If you were tailgating with someone at they didn't drink would you want to punch them in the face or kick them in the face?

4. When you realize that the person from # 3 can drive you home each week how would you apologize for the punch \ kick to the face?

1 Kabobs mix of beef and seafood 

2 No TV unless you have an RV

3 Old school punch followed by a drop kick

4 Screw the apology find another option 

5 Have not visited enough stadiums (3) to have areal opinion.

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

I can tell you the worst NFL Stadium for a tailgate was Veterans Stadium in Philly.

Went to a Giants/Eagles game there years ago and was ticketed for an open flame in the parking lot.

Cop wouldn't even give me a warning, gave me a ticket - $25 fine.

I was so pissed I went right to the courtroom under the stadium they had there at the time. 

Cop outside the courtroom told me to not waste my time. I'd get busted because it was written on an entry sign into the parking lot "No open flames".

Technically you are supposed to have the grill top over the grill at all times but the cop was being a real prick.  It might have been the Giants hat I was wearing that day.

So what I did to get back at them was to plead "not guilty" on the ticket and send it back.

After they gave me a court date to appear, I told them I had a scheduling conflict and asked them to give me another date.

I did that 5 times to them and then finally paid the $25.

10 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

1 Kabobs mix of beef and seafood 

2 No TV unless you have an RV

3 Old school punch followed by a drop kick

4 Screw the apology find another option 

5 Have not visited enough stadiums (3) to have areal opinion.

Nice. I like the punch\kick\uBer responses to 3 and 4 lol.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I guess my question would be how one tolerates standing in a parking lot for five hours without being drunk. 

Knowing they're about to go watch the Jets, no less.  Monsters!!

16 hours ago, Maxman said:

1.  Usually some steaks, burgers, dogs, sometimes some ribs or some clams.  Beer obviously.  Usually a bottle of whiskey as well.

2.  No TV, blasting music.  Usually classic rock.

3.  Depends if they brought weed or not.

4.  Again depends if they brought weed or not.

5.  Any D1 college stadium. 

1. Burgers and Wings
2. No TV ... Van Halen , AC/DC, or Zeppelin
3. Designated Drivers Exempt
5. Joe Robby is pretty good. Cleveland is good too.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Sometimes the tailgate is better than the game itself.

I guess we tailgate different from others. The Mrs. comes to all 10 games and the two of us just put out our table and chairs, sit behind the car and have our own little tailgate. Assorted folk have gotten in the habit of coming around for a short visit plus strangers around us have always been friendly and we've shared each other's food and drink. I know a lot of you enjoy standing around in the large groups, which is what I used to do when I had partners pre- Mrs. Crimson but I have to admit that I like our little tailgates much more. The smell of charcoal around us, great folks who park around us doing the same and general pregame revelry makes it a great atmosphere and we have been blessed with a long streak of decent tailgate weather over the past few years. 

What the Mrs. prepares depends on if it is a 1:00p game vs late game (night games, a rare 4p or pre-season) and the weather. It is actually a serious discussion over the week prior

The first decision is what to drink. 1p games means brunch as we shoot for chairs on the ground by 9am. Early season may be Mimosas, straight champagne or Bloody Marys, all mixed on site. Colder days will probably be hot sake. Not bringing enough usually equals a disaster so we bring extra and often augment our neighbor's fare. Later games mean wine, maybe a couple of bottles of Bordeaux, followed by some nice single malt until the cold weather sets in when the hot sake comes out.  

Food also depends on the same factors. We never grill but instead bring hot or cold food in several thermos. Cold soup early in the season, hot later. Eggs and something for brunch. Some sort of beans and meat, pasta, stuffed peppers, etc. The occasional loaded salad sneaks in. Rarely the same thing twice.  It all depends of what we find in the supermarket the day or two before and Mrs. C's creative culinary acumen. 

It all brings a tear to my eye thinking about it.

Never thought about bring a TV, which would be great for 4p games and after games but it seems like too much trouble. I always prefer music anyway. I need to park near some of you with the classic rock blasting because where we park we keep getting hit with nasty rap. Last year it ruined a tailgate or two. Problem is parking too close to the road (yellow parking) where there are big party tailgates. I used to like to put up the SUV tailgate and blast CD's but we've had people complain about our music, which is either jazz-rock fusion or jam bands like Umphrey's McGee so we went to putting the radio on (Jam ON or Deep Tracks) but now we just hope for someone around us who doesn't have too bad taste. This does not happen often :). My dream is to bring a guitar, amp, pedal board and looper but I don't have the yarbles to leave equipment in my car unattended.

The saddest part is returning to the car after the game. We always stay for every play no matter what (even last year) so our car is often alone under darkening skies amid the seagulls and trash. That is when you realize that the day you planned for all week is over and Monday is coming (and you have a ridiculously long drive home) 

As far as having an issue with someone who doesn't partake, shame on those who do. Live and let live and viva la difference and all that, Life is way too short to act otherwise.

Best stadium to tailgate? How about the Meadowlands? Because afterwards, you get to go a Jets home game. As much as I loved Shea better than either of the Giants Stadiums, I have to admit that this is a way better place to tailgate, largely because everyone has to show up so early. I would love to go to one Lambeau though. One place we have had some nice experiences have been Foxboro (really). We won't have much with us and locals will see us and invite us to share their tailgate. This has happened more than once. Worst place is Philly for so many reasons plus we've had stuff done to our car while we are at the game. It doesn't count given the criteria Maxman set forth but West Point is also a great place to tailgate. 

Sad part of all of this, no more 10 tailgates for us. After 50 years of Jets games and 40 years of season tix, I'm giving them up. We're going to Cleveland for the away game but may only grace the yellow lot one or two times this year, if at all.

Did I mention that sometimes the tailgate is better than the game itself?

3 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Sometimes the tailgate is better than the game itself.

I guess we tailgate different from others. The Mrs. comes to all 10 games and the two of us just put out our table and chairs, sit behind the car and have our own little tailgate. Assorted folk have gotten in the habit of coming around for a short visit plus strangers around us have always been friendly and we've shared each other's food and drink. I know a lot of you enjoy standing around in the large groups, which is what I used to do when I had partners pre- Mrs. Crimson but I have to admit that I like our little tailgates much more. The smell of charcoal around us, great folks who park around us doing the same and general pregame revelry makes it a great atmosphere and we have been blessed with a long streak of decent tailgate weather over the past few years. 

What the Mrs. prepares depends on if it is a 1:00p game vs late game (night games, a rare 4p or pre-season) and the weather. It is actually a serious discussion over the week prior

The first decision is what to drink. 1p games means brunch as we shoot for chairs on the ground by 9am. Early season may be Mimosas, straight champagne or Bloody Marys, all mixed on site. Colder days will probably be hot sake. Not bringing enough usually equals a disaster so we bring extra and often augment our neighbor's fare. Later games mean wine, maybe a couple of bottles of Bordeaux, followed by some nice single malt until the cold weather sets in when the hot sake comes out.  

Food also depends on the same factors. We never grill but instead bring hot or cold food in several thermos. Cold soup early in the season, hot later. Eggs and something for brunch. Some sort of beans and meat, pasta, stuffed peppers, etc. The occasional loaded salad sneaks in. Rarely the same thing twice.  It all depends of what we find in the supermarket the day or two before and Mrs. C's creative culinary acumen. 

It all brings a tear to my eye thinking about it.

Never thought about bring a TV, which would be great for 4p games and after games but it seems like too much trouble. I always prefer music anyway. I need to park near some of you with the classic rock blasting because where we park we keep getting hit with nasty rap. Last year it ruined a tailgate or two. Problem is parking too close to the road (yellow parking) where there are big party tailgates. I used to like to put up the SUV tailgate and blast CD's but we've had people complain about our music, which is either jazz-rock fusion or jam bands like Umphrey's McGee so we went to putting the radio on (Jam ON or Deep Tracks) but now we just hope for someone around us who doesn't have too bad taste. This does not happen often :). My dream is to bring a guitar, amp, pedal board and looper but I don't have the yarbles to leave equipment in my car unattended.

The saddest part is returning to the car after the game. We always stay for every play no matter what (even last year) so our car is often alone under darkening skies amid the seagulls and trash. That is when you realize that the day you planned for all week is over and Monday is coming (and you have a ridiculously long drive home) 

As far as having an issue with someone who doesn't partake, shame on those who do. Live and let live and viva la difference and all that, Life is way too short to act otherwise.

Best stadium to tailgate? How about the Meadowlands? Because afterwards, you get to go a Jets home game. As much as I loved Shea better than either of the Giants Stadiums, I have to admit that this is a way better place to tailgate, largely because everyone has to show up so early. I would love to go to one Lambeau though. One place we have had some nice experiences have been Foxboro (really). We won't have much with us and locals will see us and invite us to share their tailgate. This has happened more than once. Worst place is Philly for so many reasons plus we've had stuff done to our car while we are at the game. It doesn't count given the criteria Maxman set forth but West Point is also a great place to tailgate. 

Sad part of all of this, no more 10 tailgates for us. After 50 years of Jets games and 40 years of season tix, I'm giving them up. We're going to Cleveland for the away game but may only grace the yellow lot one or two times this year, if at all.

Did I mention that sometimes the tailgate is better than the game itself?

Well thought out protocol.

I especially like the culinary prep which you shake up depending on the start times.

Also, if it's just you and Mrs. C, I totally agree with the pre-prepared meals instead of firing up a grill for two.  Way too much work.

I think it's time for you to graduate to the Green lot for your two planned tailgates this year.

There is a higher class of seagulls that gather there.

Archived