If everything breaks right, what is the upper win total?

Maxman

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

I'd say 7 wins. But thats assuming Hacks takes a big leap, same for Robbie, and we face no real injury issues. 

Having said that, Hack isn't taking a big leap and Robbie will be limited imo. Its only a matter of time before we see Claiborne on the IR and we'll be stuck with no-name CBs and rookie safeties. All that combined, we might end up with 4 wins, which sucks cuz we'll be picking 6th overall again next year and miss out on every QB. 

Perhaps. Could also mean the team started out 4-2 before McCown gets injured, then 3-7 thereafter with Hackenberg (those wins coming despite the offense scoring ≤10 points in each). Then we'd still need a QB and we're picking 11th.

Unlikely as such a season is to repeat, don't forget we did win 8 games in 2013 (with a 9th win well within reach from week 2, and an additional 2 more losses with the defense holding the opposition under 20). So that sh*tbox team was still within reach of 10-11 wins with Josh McCown's level of QBing.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Worst possible things that can happen to the 2017 New York Jets, in reverse order:

3. Geno Smith, 2017 Super Bowl MVP.

2. Plane crash.

1. Winning more than three games.

1. Bullsh*t.

How does a young team mostly made up with pieces we'll want to use over the next half decade getting more than three wins a bad thing? **** cheering for draft position and **** this savior QB bullsh*t. If we win more than most prognosticate us to its nothing but a good thing, it means the players we already HAVE on roster are developing and we don't have to hold out on hope that one dude is gonna save a horrible roster of young players who did horribly.

I can see being upset if McCown played like an all-pro because he's not the future, but other than that I will never understand this mentality that failure will lead to success.

Those QB's aren't the future, not yet at least. This team, right now, is the future, cheer them on.

8 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

1. Bullsh*t.

How does a young team mostly made up with pieces we'll want to use over the next half decade getting more than three wins a bad thing? **** cheering for draft position and **** this savior QB bullsh*t. If we win more than most prognosticate us to its nothing but a good thing, it means the players we already HAVE on roster are developing and we don't have to hold out on hope that one dude is gonna save a horrible roster of young players who did horribly.

I can see being upset if McCown played like an all-pro because he's not the future, but other than that I will never understand this mentality that failure will lead to success.

Those QB's aren't the future, not yet at least. This team, right now, is the future, cheer them on.

With your species, do you emerge from pods as fully-grown adults but without the sentient awareness?

If we win 10 games this year it basically means we found ourselves a QB.  If we win one game this year it means we have a legitimate shot at a franchise QB in next year's draft.

Or we could win six or seven games, miss out on a franchise QB and remain mired in the swamp.  I wonder which of these outcomes is the most likely for a Jets team 

Jets win 10 games still miss playoffs, Bowles pronounces McCown 2018 starter after week 17 loss to the Patriot backups, after McCown had his best year as a pro QB, but not under contract with Jets for 2018.  

13 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

1. Bullsh*t.

The curry I ate for dinner last night is also developing as I write this.  Even so, the chances are quite small of it turning out to be anything other than sh1t even though "development" does indeed continue.

P.S.  We have tried your asinine way for the least three lifetimes it seems.  How about we try it this way just this once?

If EVERYTHING went right:

Hack and/or Petty, though showing an obvious learning curve also show an aptitude for running the offense that's enough prove they're worth giving another year.

Kelvin Beachum and Muhammad Wilkerson's poor 2016 turn out to be side effects of their prior injuries and they return to form.

Wesley Johnson and Brandon Shell are the two latest products of Steve Marshall's positive coaching and help secure our O-line's future.

Enunwa and Anderson handle the load while some of the other WR's come along in their own roles behind them.

ASJ's life makeover translates on the field.

The running game is stable ( the most likely thing to happen here)

Kevin Greene works magic with the OLB's and they're a constant source of pressure.

SOMEBODY (preferably Lee) steps up on the inside.

The safety's are LEGIT.

Morris Claiborne doesn't burst into flames on the field at any point (the least likely thing to happen) and Burris makes strides on the opposite side.

Edwards improves and our new kicker (I honestly forgot his name) doesn't miss a beat.

After ALL that... this team is still probably a 500. team at best. It would take some outside factors to get the Jets to the playoffs, teams that SHOULD beat us on paper having a bad game or unfortunate injury, something along those lines. This is a full on rebuild team, we'll be fortunate if we get half of what I listed there, especially the QB line.

17 hours ago, Maxman said:

Everything goes right. Hackenberg or Petty win the job and show promise. The defense improves, Claiborne stays healthy. The offensive line plays as well as you can expect from them.

I know, a lot of if's. But the question is, if everything breaks right, how many games can this team win?

0.. Seriously,.. zero ! 

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

With your species, do you emerge from pods as fully-grown adults but without the sentient awareness?

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

The curry I ate for dinner last night is also developing as I write this.  Even so, the chances are quite small of it turning out to be anything other than sh1t even though "development" does indeed continue.

P.S.  We have tried your asinine way for the least three lifetimes it seems.  How about we try it this way just this once?

I want this team to have a bright future. Seeing as how almost every prospective starting player on this team save for McCown and the running backs can conceivably be a part of this team for at least half decade it makes no sense for me to root for their failure- or the losses that come with it.

Adams and Maye being the next great safety tandem, the offensive weapons producing well beyond their paygrade, the O-line holding firm, the Linebackers being used to potential, HackenPetty providing a slid foundation for future growth- THATS what I want to see and that's what bodes best for this team's future.

I'm not saying its going to happen, my head says maybe half of that happened and we finish with about 4 wins after all is said and done, but that's the best case scenario. If we get all that and we go 6-10 rather than 2-14 or something, that's alright with me- because we've got a solid foundation from pieces who will stick around a while.

I refuse to fear SUCCESS. Wins are not our enemy. They're WINS.

12 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

I want this team to have a bright future. Seeing as how almost every prospective starting player on this team save for McCown and the running backs can conceivably be a part of this team for at least half decade it makes no sense for me to root for their failure- or the losses that come with it.

Adams and Maye being the next great safety tandem, the offensive weapons producing well beyond their paygrade, the O-line holding firm, the Linebackers being used to potential, HackenPetty providing a slid foundation for future growth- THATS what I want to see and that's what bodes best for this team's future.

I'm not saying its going to happen, my head says maybe half of that happened and we finish with about 4 wins after all is said and done, but that's the best case scenario. If we get all that and we go 6-10 rather than 2-14 or something, that's alright with me- because we've got a solid foundation from pieces who will stick around a while.

I refuse to fear SUCCESS. Wins are not our enemy. They're WINS.

Thank you! If they can win with this roster, the coaching staff might be worth keeping. A lot of people don't even want to consider that.

8 hours ago, jamesr said:

My concern is that teams that have these "out of nowhere" type seasons tend to emerge as the year goes on - they don't show up Day 1 and rattle of 8 wins in their first 10 games. It takes time for things to fall into place, players to 'gel' etc.

At the same time, our early schedule is our best chance at winning games against opposition that is of a similar status to us ... untried, untested, more potential than production.

So our "best scenario" may end up being somewhat convoluted ...

• McCown starts, and does enough to win us a few early games while the O line, defense get their game together
  • At some point, for some reason, the switch is made to Petty / Hack, and the now-buzzing defense and an O line that has worked together enough allow us to play aggressive, confident football (i.e. not run-run-pass-punt) and the QB flourishes

Even then I'm seeing at best 7-8 wins. But if we got the "QB flourishes" part out of the above, I'd dare say it would be worth it.

I see nothing in McCowns history at QB to suggest he is more likely to win than Hack or Petty. He pretty much sucks, but coaches "like" him. Sort of an even crappier version of Fitz who was the worst QB in the NFL last year. Throw Hack out there and let him learn. Only reasonable thing to do.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Thank you! If they can win with this roster, the coaching staff might be worth keeping. A lot of people don't even want to consider that.

I can ride my dog to the mall, but that doesn't mean I don't need a car.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I can ride my dog to the mall, but that doesn't mean I don't need a car.

Tom they do background checks on dog owners before they let you adopt these days.

We all know you are taking your car. What we don't want to know is what those cries for help coming from the trunk are all about.

Who knows? No one does.

Looking at the schedule though, you just see all teams who we know for a fact will have a better roster than the NY Jets.

I see 4 winnable games, period.  If things "break" right that to me implies a couple of iffy games go our way. So 4-6 seems like our ceiling.

Again, this is a good thing to root for if Hack looks like an NFL starter.

DC

1 minute ago, Dcronin said:

Who knows? No one does.

Looking at the schedule though, you just see all teams who we know for a fact will have a better roster than the NY Jets.

I see 4 winnable games, period.  If things "break" right that to me implies a couple of iffy games go our way. So 4-6 seems like our ceiling.

Again, this is a good thing to root for if Hack looks like an NFL starter.

DC

What games do you consider winnable?

I would think the Bills, Jax, and Cleveland, maybe San Diego?

And then there's always the off chance a team regresses for one reason or another.

If everything breaks right 9 or 10 games. This team was still in the game at KC after Fitz threw his 5th pick. The defense coming together is not that far fetched, and if that happens they just need to be solid on offense to get to 9 wins.

8 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

What games do you consider winnable?

I would think the Bills, Jax, and Cleveland, maybe San Diego?

And then there's always the off chance a team regresses for one reason or another.

Those are my exact picks, yes, for a total of 4 wins. New Orleans isn't "unwinnable," but come on, we're not beating them.

Forget about winning games. Lets start with the odds of getting a defensive TD or ST TD. That has not happened in eons it seems. Also the team not quitting on the HC like they did last season and in week 17 in 2015. I have no guess on how many games we will lose this season, the roster is still too unpredictable - we just don't know enough yet to say anything. Some of these young guys could turn out to be cornerstone players for a decade+, or not, but I do know our HC will cost us many games because he is incompetent. I do know our DC will cost us many games because he is the brother in law of the HC it seems and is also incompetent. But I have to say, despite the gloom and doom, I am looking forward to seeing the young guys play, despite the CS. Something is telling me Hackenberg will be real good. I know I am dreaming, but I keep getting these feelings that he is going to be great someday soon. Again, the only way to tell is by his playing in real games if the boob will let him.

McCown was brought in to be the Veteran QB in case of injury.  Hackenberg is the project.  Petty is the only QB we have that has potential for this upcoming season.  Decker should not have been cut because Enunwa will be double covered, but the youth movement is on.  If somehow we do have a horrible season, Mac will screw up the draft pick, just watch.  

I am hoping Petty becomes our starting QB and the offense grows.  Bilal Powell will be featured and will produce for us.

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

McCown was brought in to be the Veteran QB in case of injury.  Hackenberg is the project.  Petty is the only QB we have that has potential for this upcoming season.  Decker should not have been cut because Enunwa will be double covered, but the youth movement is on.  If somehow we do have a horrible season, Mac will screw up the draft pick, just watch.  

I am hoping Petty becomes our starting QB and the offense grows.  Bilal Powell will be featured and will produce for us.

McCown will start over 12 games Petty will be out of the NFL next season, he blows. 

2 hours ago, Larz said:

McCown will start over 12 games Petty will be out of the NFL next season, he blows. 

I am not a huge Petty fan so I wouldn't be shocked if his career is short lived. That said McCown starting 12 games for this team would be a nightmare. I really hope that doesn't happen.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I am not a huge Petty fan so I wouldn't be shocked if his career is short lived. That said McCown starting 12 games for this team would be a nightmare. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Agreed. I don't say that out of respect for McCown, but due to the fact we have a GM and HC fighting for their jobs. I'll believe this is a tank year and the Johnsons are on board when I see it. 

5 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

and what is worse is that Hack is not going to beat Petty out for the starting spot.

No, the only thing he has going for him is he is still young. He gets this year and next year to show something 

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

If "everything broke right" the answer is 16 wins and a Super Bowl win.

Stupid thread is stupid.

Do people even understand the questions they ask anymore?

Well, since the original poster, and everyone participating in the thread lives on planet earth, the assumption was that we are not looking at a team ready to unseat the '72 Dolphins, you insufferable, condescending man you!

Not a stupid thread at all. 

Archived