If everything breaks right, what is the upper win total?

Maxman

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think that no matter who the QB is, the team will somehow manage to win 5-6 games.

6 with Hack or Petty would be much better than 6 with McCown. That would be painful.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 games.

WINS: @Bills, Dolphins, Jags, @Browns, @Bucs, @Saints, Chargers

LOSSES: @Raiders, Patriots, @Dolphins, Falcons, Bills, Panthers, Chiefs, @Broncos, @Patriots

Maybe 8 TOPS if they sweep the Bills or Dolphins.  

On 7/2/2017 at 10:23 PM, Maxman said:

Everything goes right. Hackenberg or Petty win the job and show promise. The defense improves, Claiborne stays healthy. The offensive line plays as well as you can expect from them.

I know, a lot of if's. But the question is, if everything breaks right, how many games can this team win?

I don't look at this year as a success or failure based on the record.  if one of the QBs emerge and look like a real NFL starting QB this season is a success no matter what.

as far as win total if everything breaks right?  I think any team if things break right can be around .500.  I expect 3-4 wins, ceiling is probably 7-8, we'll probably end up around 4-6.

4 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think that no matter who the QB is, the team will somehow manage to win 5-6 games.

Schedule early on is easy.  McCown will look semi-decent first couple of games 

It would be interesting to see if we start out 0-6.  If we do I doubt Bowles and Mac survive past week 12

On 7/3/2017 at 6:35 AM, Charlie Brown said:

This 100%

It is simple you can't win in today's NFL without a Quarterback!!

Exchange Brady for Fitz last year and we are having a totally different conversation out here about the Jets from top to bottom.  

Yeah, I think the best example we have is really Andrew Luck.  Without him, they are basically a worse form of our team.  With him, they can be a playoff contender with a bit of luck.  Obvioulsly, I doubt either Hackenberg or Petty become anywhere near as good as Luck, but the QB makes a huge difference in everything.  The whole league is catered around the QB, and as soon as we find a franchise one (easier said than done), the team becomes contenders.  

Biggest thing to watch with Hackenberg is his mechanics.  If he shows improved mechanics in the pre-season, I have hopes for this season.  If not, scout some college guys lol.  

Schedule early on is easy.  McCown will look semi-decent first couple of games 

It would be interesting to see if we start out 0-6.  If we do I doubt Bowles and Mac survive past week 12

I'm not rooting for 0-6, but the quicker Bowles is out of here, the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If everything breaks right:

They beat the Bills x 2

Split with the Fish

Lose to Raiders and Cheaters x 2, 

Lose to Panthers

Lose to Chiefs and Broncos

Beat the Jags, Brown's, Falcons, Bucs, Saints and Chargers.

That's 9-7

Saint and Falcons....wishful thinking. Realistically more like 8-8 or 7-9 if everything breaks right.

Here's a breakdown by game by quarters of the season:

Bills

Raiders

Dolphins

Jags

* Prediction if everything goes right: 1-3 with a win over the Jags

Browns

Pats

Dolphins

Falcons

* Prediction 1-3 with a win over the Browns

Bills

Bucs

Panthers

Chiefs

* Prediction 1-3 with win over the Bills

Broncos

Saints

Chargers

Pats

* Prediction 1-3 with win over the Chargers, or Saints

So the way I see it, 4 wins.  I can't see the Jets beating the Fins, Pats, Raiders, Falcons, Bucs, Chiefs, Broncos yet.  Chargers, Saints, Panthers, Bills are a stretch, but not out of the realm of possibility.    So I'm sticking with 4 wins.   A good way to finish the season would be to go 2-2 over the final 4 games.

The last 4 games will determine if Bowles is fired, or not.  1-3 will get him canned.  2-2 and he's on the bubble.  Macc will survive either way.

On 7/3/2017 at 2:18 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Perhaps. Could also mean the team started out 4-2 before McCown gets injured, then 3-7 thereafter with Hackenberg (those wins coming despite the offense scoring ≤10 points in each). Then we'd still need a QB and we're picking 11th.

Unlikely as such a season is to repeat, don't forget we did win 8 games in 2013 (with a 9th win well within reach from week 2, and an additional 2 more losses with the defense holding the opposition under 20). So that sh*tbox team was still within reach of 10-11 wins with Josh McCown's level of QBing.

The 2013 team was better than this one based on what I see now despite Geno.  Hopefully next years team will be better than the 2013 team.

14 hours ago, MaxAF said:

If everything breaks right:

They beat the Bills x 2

Split with the Fish

Lose to Raiders and Cheaters x 2, 

Lose to Panthers

Lose to Chiefs and Broncos

Beat the Jags, Brown's, Falcons, Bucs, Saints and Chargers.

That's 9-7

Saint and Falcons....wishful thinking. Realistically more like 8-8 or 7-9 if everything breaks right.

a Lot of football fans are sleeping on the Chargers.( sleeper team to win the Afc West) .   They had a ton of injuries in 2016, and lost a lot of games in strange ways.( found a new way each week to lose a game- if you Have NFL game pass see for yourself).   Hard to see them giving games they won away again this year.( could see 4-5 game swing). 

On 05/07/2017 at 1:00 AM, Fantasy Island said:

and what is worse is that Hack is not going to beat Petty out for the starting spot.

While I hope this isn't the case, at least it provides a definitive answer about where we stand at the QB position. If Hack cannot beat out Petty, who cannot beat out McCown, then we essentially have no-one at the QB position and have to move heaven and earth next off season to address that.

Knowing that what we have isn't worth squat is better than not knowing, IMHO.

The Jets are going to beat the Bills in week 1 and everyone on this board will be screaming "PLAYOFFS!!! and MAC's A GENIUS!!. Watch.

In a best case scenario, Hackenberg wins the job, plays poorly, the Jets have a bad season which sends Mac and Bowles packing, and a new GM and coach get to pick our franchise QB at the top of the 2018 draft.

17 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm not rooting for 0-6, but the quicker Bowles is out of here, the better.

Agree.  If that happens we get Sam Darnold and Chris & Woody have no voice but to end this entire regime

17 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

honestly maybe 5. that would be horrible tho because all the good qbs will be taken and we have to draft a rb from penn state. so u know this will happen. we all should hope 2 but show some competitiveness in all games.

We should still be able to draft another safety tho

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

a Lot of football fans are sleeping on the Chargers.( sleeper team to win the Afc West) .   They had a ton of injuries in 2016, and lost a lot of games in strange ways.( found a new way each week to lose a game- if you Have NFL game pass see for yourself).   Hard to see them giving games they won away again this year.( could see 4-5 game swing). 

6-10???? Who knows. It's just a guessing game and wishful thinking at this point. But you're probably right on the Chargers.

On 7/2/2017 at 9:23 PM, Maxman said:

Everything goes right. Hackenberg or Petty win the job and show promise. The defense improves, Claiborne stays healthy. The offensive line plays as well as you can expect from them.

I know, a lot of if's. But the question is, if everything breaks right, how many games can this team win?

If we had a really good coach I would say just on that alone this team would win games but with this coach and the real lack of veteran presence we would be really lucky to win 3-4 games. If we had a coach like Jim Harbaugh I could see that ceiling being more like 7-8 games just on motivation alone. I would also see us contending much quicker as well 

16 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If we had a really good coach I would say just on that alone this team would win games but with this coach and the real lack of veteran presence we would be really lucky to win 3-4 games. If we had a coach like Jim Harbaugh I could see that ceiling being more like 7-8 games just on motivation alone. I would also see us contending much quicker as well 

You give Bowles too much credit. We will only win games this year other teams try to  lose. Literally they will have to work with us for us to win. This team will never contend consistently with Bowles in charge. Might get a lucky horseshoe up the butt season here and there but Todd has shown us nothing that would make us think he is getting better. Our  new coach will get these guys contending within a year or two providing he has at least a serviceable QB to work with. We got some nice young developmental talent that the right coach could do something with. Todd Bowles will be one and done after his Jet tenure as a head coach. You hit the nail on the head. We need a coach that can MOTIVATE these guys . Bowles can't even keep the locker room together 

Just now, The Crusher said:

You give Bowles too much credit. We will only win games this year other teams try to  lose. Literally they will have to work with us for us to win. This team will never contend consistently with Bowles in charge. Might get a lucky horseshoe up the butt season here and there but Todd has shown us nothing that would make us think he is getting better. Our  new coach will get these guys contending within a year or two providing he has at least a serviceable QB to work with. We got some nice young developmental talent that the right coach could do something with. Todd Bowles will be one and done after his Jet tenure as a head coach. You hit the nail in the head. We need a coach that can MOTIVATE these guys . Bowles can't even keep the locker room together 

Im right there with you on Bowles Crush (look what it says over my avatar ) but you would think we might pull out a few games from teams just having really bad days like a rainy day when they fumble 75 times :)

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Im right there with you on Bowles Crush (look what it says over my avatar ) but you would think we might pull out a few games from teams just having really bad days like a rainy day when they fumble 75 times :)

Uhh,err 76?

On 7/2/2017 at 10:23 PM, Maxman said:

Expectations of the O-line are pretty low. I don't think we get more than 5 wins this year, and that's being optimistic. It will be a lot better and healthier for all of us if we just approach every game this season like a preseason game. I'll be very happy just seeing players getting better. 

On 7/3/2017 at 10:42 AM, EM31 said:

If everything breaks right then we go 1-15, don't screw up the draft and get the QB of our dreams.

If things go the other way I can see the defense being pretty good right away and possibly even better than that.  So how many wins can we get with a really good defense and an offense that is mostly being carried?  Maybe as many as 10 but I will stick with my 1-15 dreams.

We'll get a quarterback... whether he is the one of our dreams remains to be seen... I'm sure I'm not the only one getting a Todd Marinovich vibe from Darnold;  I would LOVE to be wrong...but remember who we root for guys...the fates are still pissed for Jan 12, 1969...

If all those things happen I could see 8-8. Hackenberg would have to be much better than what Bryce Petty showed, but if he does and the run game stays strong, yeah I think Jets could go .500. Call me an optimist.

5 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

In a best case scenario, Hackenberg wins the job, plays poorly, the Jets have a bad season which sends Mac and Bowles packing, and a new GM and coach get to pick our franchise QB at the top of the 2018 draft.

How in heck is this a BEST CASE SCENARIO? To me all you say here is a disaster. To send Mac packing will be a big mistake. He has drafted better than the last three GM's this team has had COMBINED. Bowles is a no fire guy that doesn't use his personnel to it's best advantage and has no adjustment capability. I hope he goes no matter how good or bad the team plays.

How in heck is this a BEST CASE SCENARIO? To me all you say here is a disaster. To send Mac packing will be a big mistake. He has drafted better than the last three GM's this team has had COMBINED. Bowles is a no fire guy that doesn't use his personnel to it's best advantage and has no adjustment capability. I hope he goes no matter how good or bad the team plays.

This is a much better scenario than Hackenberg being decent enough to win 5-6 games, but not impressive enough to anoint him the starter in 2018. 5-6 wins take the Jets out of the running for the top 2-3 QB's in the 2018 draft, so we're right back where we started after 3 years of Mac and Bowles, no franchise QB, mediocre roster at best.

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I actually think the lack of veteran presence will help Bowles. The wildcard is McCown and whether Bowles can ever steer himself to the right decision and start Hack. 

16 hours ago, jmat321 said:

It's 7 to 9, but not enough for the P/Os.

If that's with Hack playing, and playing well, I will be very happy. :-) 

If it's with McCown I'll be the exact opposite. :-( 

Archived