Slater: 10 Dumbest Things Jets Have Done

T0mShane

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

1. Drafting Blair Thomas should not be on this list. Yes he sucked, but EVERY ""Expert" had him as a top 3 pick.  

2. Letting Belichick go - Hindsight is 20/20.  In reality the Jets tried to keep him, even paying him a bonus the previous season not accept a HC position from other teams.  Lets be real, no one in 2000 had Belichick as a can't miss H.C

3. They made an attempt to trade up and draft Farve but the deal fell through. http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/48987/hof-nominee-ron-wolf-reflects-on-jets-and-the-almost-brett-favre-trade

To me the two biggest mistakes were letting John Riggins go in a salary dispute and not drafting Marino.  Yes, other teams passed on Marino, but not for a Division II QB.

would he be a can't miss H.C. without Brady?  He was a losing coach before Brady.

A dark horse nominee for dumbest inevitable jets move ever emerges:

Jeff Fisher wants to “get back on the sideline”

Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2017, 10:47 AM EDT
598583282-e1499093246944.jpg?w=196Getty Images

The second season of Amazon’s All or Nothing includes a visit with (spoiler alert) former Rams head coach Jeff Fisher on a piece of land he owns outside of Nashville that seemingly covers more than 100 acres. He’s still thinking about the thing that covers only 100 yards.

“I want to get back on the sideline,” Fisher says. “Not going to happen this year, obviously. We’ll just see what happens.”

What happens will be that, in a league with 32 teams, someone likely will give the 59-year-old Fisher another shot. Although it instantly became fashionable to pounce on him a year ago (with Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson kicking the door open to widespread national criticism), Fisher has strong connections at 345 Park Avenue.

Inevitably, there will be an owner who isn’t quite sure what to do when hiring a new head coach. Invariably, that owner will ask one or more high-level executives at the league office for advice. Impossibly (in the opinion of plenty of that team’s fans), Fisher will receive a glowing recommendation.

Yes, Fisher currently sits atop the all-time regular-season loss record with Dan Reeves, knotted at 165. But Fisher has won 173 times, and more often than not his teams are relevant past Thanksgiving, which is the key to keeping fans engaged through the end of the regular season, or at least close to it.

Perhaps more importantly, Fisher has shown that he can coexist with eccentric billionaires. Fisher worked for years with the late Bud Adams, who later in life developed a habit of firing off double-barreled middle fingers. The Oilers/Titans owner made it nearly a full generation without sending that same message to Fisher.

He also lasted nearly five full years with the Rams, a franchise that by many indications was planning to leave St. Louis long before it became obvious that they’d be gone. And Fisher has now presided not once but twice over the relocation of an NFL franchise, experiences that come in handy when shepherding players through distractions.

The question isn’t whether Fisher should or shouldn’t get another chance. The question is whether he will. At some point in the next few years, some owner out there will choose someone who has coached 350 combined regular-season and postseason games over someone who has coached zero of either.

3 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Right, but Rex's fate was decided in 2013.  2014 he was just filling the role of useless coach as Idzik was hitting the reset button.

Potentially very similar to what Bowles is doing this year.  But strangely I think Bowles is safer now (with no history of success) than Rex was in 2014.

Rex was NEVER a good coach, but he was a breath of fresh air those couple of years and the veteran team responded, AND we had a LOT of good fortune, such as Polian stubbornly sitting all the starters in the last game.

However, Rex got worse each year as a head coach, becoming very very close minded, stubborn and even more focused on veterans than he was. He had a terrible impact on our drafts, which is continuing with Bowles having too much input.  Head coaches should have about as much influence on the draft as a scout, unless your name is Bellichick. Even Parcells. His "shopping for the groceries" was a shiit show.

But Rex just completely devolved and was kept at least a year too long.

Of course, Woody managed to essentially hire someone as bad, and philosophically largely the same.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I was a big Pete Carroll fan, but Pete wasn't ready to run an NFL team at that time. It wasn't until he got fired a few more times and got to USC that he finally matured into a leader. I always thought Herm needed to do something like that--take over a college program and grow up on the job.

I love Pete. But you are right, he was overmatched that year. That team lost everything down the stretch.

Now replacing him after the buck stops here speech with Kotite was just dumb. But it isn't on the same scale as letting Belichick get away.

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A dark horse nominee for dumbest inevitable jets move ever emerges:

Jeff Fisher wants to “get back on the sideline”

Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2017, 10:47 AM EDT
598583282-e1499093246944.jpg?w=196Getty Images

The second season of Amazon’s All or Nothing includes a visit with (spoiler alert) former Rams head coach Jeff Fisher on a piece of land he owns outside of Nashville that seemingly covers more than 100 acres. He’s still thinking about the thing that covers only 100 yards.

“I want to get back on the sideline,” Fisher says. “Not going to happen this year, obviously. We’ll just see what happens.”

What happens will be that, in a league with 32 teams, someone likely will give the 59-year-old Fisher another shot. Although it instantly became fashionable to pounce on him a year ago (with Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson kicking the door open to widespread national criticism), Fisher has strong connections at 345 Park Avenue.

Inevitably, there will be an owner who isn’t quite sure what to do when hiring a new head coach. Invariably, that owner will ask one or more high-level executives at the league office for advice. Impossibly (in the opinion of plenty of that team’s fans), Fisher will receive a glowing recommendation.

Yes, Fisher currently sits atop the all-time regular-season loss record with Dan Reeves, knotted at 165. But Fisher has won 173 times, and more often than not his teams are relevant past Thanksgiving, which is the key to keeping fans engaged through the end of the regular season, or at least close to it.

Perhaps more importantly, Fisher has shown that he can coexist with eccentric billionaires. Fisher worked for years with the late Bud Adams, who later in life developed a habit of firing off double-barreled middle fingers. The Oilers/Titans owner made it nearly a full generation without sending that same message to Fisher.

He also lasted nearly five full years with the Rams, a franchise that by many indications was planning to leave St. Louis long before it became obvious that they’d be gone. And Fisher has now presided not once but twice over the relocation of an NFL franchise, experiences that come in handy when shepherding players through distractions.

The question isn’t whether Fisher should or shouldn’t get another chance. The question is whether he will. At some point in the next few years, some owner out there will choose someone who has coached 350 combined regular-season and postseason games over someone who has coached zero of either.

Please god, no. He always was and will always be a terrible head coach. But he is super well spoken and sounds like he is the smartest head coach ever which owners lap up.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I love Pete. But you are right, he was overmatched that year. That team lost everything down the stretch.

Now replacing him after the buck stops here speech with Kotite was just dumb. But it isn't on the same scale as letting Belichick get away.

Am I mis-remembering that we hired Belichick to be HC and then pushed him aside to bring Parcells in? We really just should have stuck with Belichick. Our staff would have been the same, and unlike many, I think Parcells was not a great HC, but had Belichick and a knack for choosing great cooridinators and position coaches.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Did Belichick even have any demands that weren't met? I'm still of the belief that both he and Parcells wanted nothing to do with Woody. 

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Am I mis-remembering that we hired Belichick to be HC and then pushed him aside to bring Parcells in? We really just should have stuck with Belichick. Our staff would have been the same, and unlike many, I think Parcells was not a great HC, but had Belichick and a knack for choosing great cooridinators and position coaches.

Yes you are misremembering it.

Parcells stepped down and then Belly's contract called for him to be the next head coach.

We got a 1st round pick for him leaving. We should have not hired anyone else. Just forced him to coach here. He would have lost every game on purpose. Which is fine because then at least the Patriots wouldn't have won either. :)

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Did Belichick even have any demands that weren't met? I'm still of the belief that both he and Parcells wanted nothing to do with Woody. 

That really does seem to be it. Seems simple. And scary. And Parcells and Belichick were kind of both proven right by history unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Parcells stepped down and then Belly's contract called for him to be the next head coach.

We got a 1st round pick for him leaving. We should have not hired anyone else. Just forced him to coach here. He would have lost every game on purpose. Which is fine because then at least the Patriots wouldn't have won either. :)

I don't think he is.  When we hired Parcells he was still under contract with the Pats, so they hired Belichick until the tampering was completed.  I tend to agree with him about their respective roles. You are talking about when they left.  He is talking about when they arrived.

End around: Parcells gets consultant job Jets hire Belichick until ex-Patriots coach is free to take over

Jets gave up four picks for that fat ****.  Imagine how pissed we'd be if they did better than Katzenmoyer with the first or had jumped on Jason Taylor in '97.  They'd have been better off leaving him as consultant. 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think he is.  When we hired Parcells he was still under contract with the Pats, so they hired Belichick until the tampering was completed.  I tend to agree with him about their respective roles. You are talking about when they left.  He is talking about when they arrived.

End around: Parcells gets consultant job Jets hire Belichick until ex-Patriots coach is free to take over

Jets gave up four picks for that fat ****.  Imagine how pissed we'd be if they did better than Katzenmoyer with the first or had jumped on Jason Taylor in '97.  They'd have been better off leaving him as consultant. 

Oh I understand now, yes I was talking about when he left....

#1-10) Not guaranteeing that Peyton would be the #1 pick in '97.

If Parcelss had just given him that guarantee, we would have had a first ballad HoF, probably would have been able to retain Belichick, probably would be at least a 1x super bowl champ, and Brady would be a nobody right now. Instead, Parcells didn't want a college kid to hold power over him (even though he knew he'd have drafted Peyton #1 anyway), and well...the rest is history.

54 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

#1-10) Not guaranteeing that Peyton would be the #1 pick in '97.

If Parcelss had just given him that guarantee, we would have had a first ballad HoF, probably would have been able to retain Belichick, probably would be at least a 1x super bowl champ, and Brady would be a nobody right now. Instead, Parcells didn't want a college kid to hold power over him (even though he knew he'd have drafted Peyton #1 anyway), and well...the rest is history.

Literally everyone involved in the Manning Conspiracy denies that it happened.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

I remember that, but I meant back when we first hired Tuna didnt we actually have Belichick as HC then for a brief time and that started the feud?

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I remember that, but I meant back when we first hired Tuna didnt we actually have Belichick as HC then for a brief time and that started the feud?

Yeah # 27 pointed out you meant the before.

I don't think Belly and Parcells feuded over that. They seemed to be on the same page. And if the Jets hired Belly, no way would they have gotten the entire staff over because that would have meant Parcells was staying with the Patriots most likely.

55 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah # 27 pointed out you meant the before.

I don't think Belly and Parcells feuded over that. They seemed to be on the same page. And if the Jets hired Belly, no way would they have gotten the entire staff over because that would have meant Parcells was staying with the Patriots most likely.

Parcells was already leaving the Pats.  He wanted to buy the groceries remember?  He was supposedly making arrangements on the plane on the way to the super bowl.  The only question was whether he could coach in the NFL in 1997.  His contract forbid it, but he could coach again in 1998.  

15 hours ago, chirorob said:

Totally agree.  Kotite was a train wreck, but Pete wasn't ready.

Vernon was a real bad pick, but that was a poor draft.

Letting Riggins go.   He didn't want to be here, and John Riggins was not a man you made do things if he didn't want to do them.  The trade ups, yep, all bad.  The double trade down for Farrior was awful.  Let 2 HOF left tackles go, and go nothing.

Don't think it's true that Riggins didn't want to be here. The Jets simply didn't care enough to give a big contract to anyone besides Joe willy. It was Riggins who deserved the big payday, he was amazing for us. In his Washington years he was more of a Czonka like fullback. For us he was still quite fast and could turn the corner. Watching him catching flairs out of the backfield and turning up up field was one of the great sights of all time for a Jets fan,   if he was old enough to witness it. 

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

1. Keeping Rex while firing Tannenbaum, which resulted in poisoning the well for any and all candidates with options.

2. Firing Mangini after going 9-7. Say what you will about him being boring, but he was building a pretty impressive foundation for the franchise. 

3. Passing on a QB in the draft because of Geno.

4. Not hiring a full-time Football Ops guy after firing Idzik and Rex.

5. The offseason where we added Derrick Mason and Plaxico Burress to Santonio Holmes when you had a a pusswah young QB you're trying to develop.

6. Fitzpatrick' extension, which has basically ended the Maccagnan/Bowles regime.

That's why he's coaching today I guess?? Never won a playoff game and his record was 10-6,4-12,9-7,4-12 and 5-11 and he had Chad and Farve..:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

That's why he coaching today I guess?? Never won a playoff game and his record was 10-6,4-12,9-7,4-12 and 5-11 and he had Chad and Farve..:rolleyes:

Eric Mangini single-handedly invalidated every win that the Patriots have accumulated for the past 15 years, turning this era in NFL history into baseball's steroids era. He's paying the price for it now. Eric Mangini is an American hero.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Eric Mangini single-handedly invalidated every win that the Patriots have accumulated for the past 15 years, turning this era in NFL history into baseball's steroids era. He's paying the price for it now. Eric Mangini is an American hero.

Eric Mangini should be hired by the NY Jets in some capacity on that alone if the tables were turned BB would surely hire the person who turned against the Jets. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Eric Mangini should be hired by the NY Jets in some capacity on that alone if the tables were turned BB would surely hire the person who turned against the Jets. 

There should be a statue.

Archived