Sam Darnold not a lock to enter draft

JOJOTOWNSELL

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000818303/article/what-we-learned-about-darnold-top-prospects-at-the-opening?campaign=tw-cf-sf95555414-sf95555414&sf95555414=1

Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network reports that "several sources close to" USC redshirt sophomore QB Sam Darnold say he may plays two more seasons for the Trojans.
Darnold is a redshirt sophomore who can declare for the draft as early as 2018 (or enter it as late as 2020). Most assume that Darnold, the consensus No. 1 overall prospect in the 2018 class, will declare after the season, but as this report suggests, those assumptions are premature

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's just posture, there is no benefit in saying he won't come back now because he can't leave now.  The fans will love him more now with how he's "committed" to USC, and then at the end of the year, he will have a tearful goodbye to chase his dreams or what not.

What's more interesting is that, he's changing his throwing motion apparently.  I'd like to see how it changes his release time and velocity.

jets are not a lock for the 1st pick (very close though) so maybe we get lucky either way (get 1st pick and he comes out or don't get 1st pick and he stays). 

(i was laughing as I wrote "maybe we get lucky")

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If he has an off season, he might say, if he's still the consensus #1 pick, he'd be an idiot to stay

Yes that's the thing, this is just Darnold, and his camp putting out this info to protect him in case he has a bad year, injury plaqued year, and he needs to come back to school to show the NFL more, and not look bad if he decides to stay another year to make sure he is consensus #1 in a weaker draft class.

If he shines again this season, and is considered consensus #1 overall no way he doesn't declare IMO.

Everyone above pretty much nailed it. If he's a consensus #1 overall, he's entering.  He'd be an idiot not to.  If he has a down year, and his stock drops significantly, he might stay.  But any prospect good enough to be taken in the 1st round should enter the NFL as early as possible. If you want to maximize your earning potential, you want to be able to hit your 2nd contract before age 27 if you can.

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is why it's smart to intentionally start tanking a season in April.

Right, it's far more important to bring in vets to get  that win total up to 7 games (instead of the 3 or 4 we are projected to win) to make some season ticket holders happy. Meanwhile, there are bunch of QB prospects in this coming draft. Darnold is the one I am in love with, but guys like Allen/Rosen etc could emerge as elite QB prospects.  

Could you imagine winning 7 games and finding out that this years QB class is like the one that netted Rivers/Eli/Ben. What would you say then? "Um, but we tried hard and got that important 7th win in week 17 to make me feel better!"

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Right, it's far more important to bring in vets to get  that win total up to 7 games (instead of the 3 or 4 we are projected to win) to make some season ticket holders happy. Meanwhile, there are bunch of QB prospects in this coming draft. Darnold is the one I am in love with, but guys like Allen/Rosen etc could emerge as elite QB prospects.  

Could you imagine winning 7 games and finding out that this years QB class is like the one that netted Rivers/Eli/Ben. What would you say then? "Um, but we tried hard and got that important 7th win in week 17 to make me feel better!"

Preposterous. I never use exclamation points.

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Well to the credit if the 2004 draft class, the best QB went to a team that won 6 games the year before 11th overall.  And the Bills won 7 games last season, and picked 10th, and funny enough traded it away so a team can get IMO the next big thing at the QB position.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Can ya blame the guy.  If you were staring at a great NFL career and you had the Jets waiting to take ya with the #1 pick, you'd stay in college too.

In all seriousness if your a potential next big thing at QB the NY market is the best place to go to maximize your earning potential away from the football field, but nah go back to school so you can go to Buffalo, Cleveland, or maybe Jacksonville, or Minnesota come on.

Darnold isn't a lock to leave College.

Darnold isn't a lock to have another good year at College.

Darnold isn't a lock to be a number 1 pick once he does declare for the draft.

Darnold is not a lock to be a franchise Quarterback.

Darnold is not a lock to be a New York Jet.

Don't worry about Darnold.

Don't put ANY hope in Darnold.

Just... focus on what we already have on the team and let it all play out.

You'll live life A LOT happier.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

In all seriousness if your a potential next big thing at QB the NY market is the best place to go to maximize your earning potential away from the football field, but nah go back to school so you can go to Buffalo, Cleveland, or maybe Jacksonville, or Minnesota come on.

I was joking.  Mostly.

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Peyton Manning played in a third world sh*thole for twenty years and is the highest earning NFL player in the history of the sport. Tom Brady plays in the part of Massachusetts that's so poor they can't even afford opioid addictions. Playing the NY hasn't been marketable since the internet was invented.

12 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Darnold isn't a lock to leave College.

Darnold isn't a lock to have another good year at College.

Darnold isn't a lock to be a number 1 pick once he does declare for the draft.

Darnold is not a lock to be a franchise Quarterback.

Darnold is not a lock to be a New York Jet.

Don't worry about Darnold.

Don't put ANY hope in Darnold.

Just... focus on what we already have on the team and let it all play out.

You'll live life A LOT happier.

Those last two lines do NOT go together.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Peyton Manning played in a third world sh*thole for twenty years and is the highest earning NFL player in the history of the sport. Tom Brady plays in the part of Massachusetts that's so poor they can't even afford opioid addictions. Playing the NY hasn't been marketable since the internet was invented.

Yeah because Tiki Barber, Jason Seahorn, and Strahan didn't benefit from playing in NY.

Peyton is a unusual guy, and Brady is widely viewed as the GOAT.

Darnold actually strikes me as a guy who would value the coaching situation over which market he plays in, so if your the Jets, and you hear this to be true you give Harbaugh a blank check, and 5% of the franchise to get the kid to come out, and get drafted by the Jets lol.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Those last two lines do NOT go together.

I just find it such a waste of time to focus on this guy and the QB's going into this season. We're placing ALL of our expectations on this kid and the other two, and thus setting ourselves up for disappointment if for whatever reason we don't get them or they don't pan out.

Hoping for a one true savior is useless. I prefer to focus on the whole.

Its gonna be a LOT easier to watch the season not hoping for ONE thing to save my favorite team.

6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah because Tiki Barber, Jason Seahorn, and Strahan didn't benefit from playing in NY.

Darnold actually strikes me as a guy who would value the coaching situation over which market he plays in, so if your the Jets, and you hear this to be true you give Harbaugh a blank check, and 5% of the franchise to get the kid to come out, and get drafted by the Jets lol.

Pretty sure that's called just being a good player. If you're good, you'll benefit no matter where you are. There's zero leverage with coming to NY especially the Jets. If anything, playing in NY is a negative.

46 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Ok. Who's the Dick that told him we might have the first overall? 

I blame Parcells

44 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Well to the credit if the 2004 draft class, the best QB went to a team that won 6 games the year before 11th overall.  And the Bills won 7 games last season, and picked 10th, and funny enough traded it away so a team can get IMO the next big thing at the QB position.

Do you remember who picked 12th? 

10 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The only thing Sehorn, Tiki, and Strahan got out of playing in NY was that they each married Gwyneth Paltrow-looking skeezers who ruined their lives. 

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I blame Parcells

Do you remember who picked 12th? 

Yes, and the pick would have been the same if that team picked 10th, because of Chad getting a seven years $64.2 million extension.

7 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Somebody must have mentioned it already...  Matt Barkley stayed.  How'd that work out for him?

It worked out for Luck. Anyways i thought Darnold wasn't even the consensus best quarterback.

Aren't there supposed to be 2 other qbs that some believe have more talent than Sam?

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Yes, and the pick would have been the same if that team picked 10th, because of Chad getting a seven years $64.2 million extension.

On the bright side, like the Martin contract, as the numbers go up over time they seem less shocking and painful than they actually were. 

Archived