Jet's owner wants private helipad, rather than land at airport 2 miles away

joewilly12

Jets' owner wants private helipad, rather than land at airport 2 miles away

The NY Jets want to land helicopters at the team's training center in Florham Park, to fly executives and injured players out of the complex. (Pixabay | stock photo)
The NY Jets want to land helicopters at the team's training center in Florham Park, to fly executives and injured players out of the complex. (Pixabay | stock photo)

BY TED SHERMAN 

tsherman@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK--The New York Jets training center is a two-minute drive to nearby Morristown Airport.

Apparently that is too far away when Jets executives want to fly in.

The NFL team is seeking state approval to build a private helipad at the football practice facility in Florham Park. But the neighbors are no fans of the plan, with local residents already beginning a petition drive to keep the Jets grounded.

In an application with the state Bureau of Aeronautics filed in March, the Jets proposed the construction of a restricted-use concrete helicopter landing pad, or helistop, "for transport of executives of the training center and injured athletes."

The filing by Florham Park Development LLC, which is associated with the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center, said in its filing that the helipad would not be open for public use, but would be equipped for day and night operations, with landings expected several times during the week during the summer months.

Jets owner nominated as UK ambassador

Jets owner nominated as UK ambassador

It took quite some time, but Donald Trump has officially named Woody Johnson the U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom.

The request mirrors an earlier application before the Florham Park planning board in 2013 that had been put on hold amid community opposition over concerns about the noise from low-flying helicopters and the possibility of an accident.

This time, though, consultants for the team argue that the training center is exempt from all local zoning and approvals because the property is owned by the N.J. Sports and Exposition Authority, a state agency, according to the filing.

A Jets spokesperson declined comment.

Meanwhile, the nearby borough of Madison, which had opposed the earlier application, has lodged new objections to the Jets' request in a separate filing with the state.

Madison officials also declined comment, but said in their response that the granting of a license would be contrary to local land use ordinances and the sentiments of residents. Noting the close proximity of Morristown Airport, they questioned the need for a landing facility.

The Atlantic Health Jets Training Facility in Florham Park. (Jerry McCrea | Star-Ledger file photo)
The Atlantic Health Jets Training Facility in Florham Park. (Jerry McCrea | Star-Ledger file photo)

"There is clearly no demand for the proposed helistop from an air operational standpoint, and any purported public benefit from the availability of a helistop for emergency uses is illusive," they wrote to the state. "Who would be using the helistop is also an ambiguous unknown."

The borough added that the proposed operations were a safety risk.

In March, a helicopter heading to Lincoln Park made a forced landingin the parking lot of a Chatham apartment complex after losing power, striking the roof of a garage before coming to a rest upright. Nobody was killed, but a passenger was seriously injured.

A helistop requires authorization and licensing by the state Department of Transportation, according to a department spokesman, and includes a 30-day public comment period.

"The comment period for the NY Jets helistop closed on July 3," said spokesman Steve Schapiro, who added that the department was in the process of reviewing the comments.

"The department evaluates the application taking into consideration safety, proposed use of the facility, surrounding land use and economic factors before making a decision on whether to authorize and license a helistop," he said.

Ted Sherman may be reached at tsherman@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @TedShermanSL. Facebook: @TedSherman.reporter. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

No idea if it is related, but J&J has used helicopters pretty extensively at their HQ in New Brunswick for ages.  They were disrupting classes on George Street since the mid-80's. 

Really?  I went to Rutgers and lived on George St I don't recall that happening.  They have a facility located on George Street but it's huge and could accommodate a heliport 

1 hour ago, Jetworks said:

Namath used to fly in by helicopter to Quinnipiac from Broadway where he was performing to visit the campers at his and Dockery's football camp. I know, because I was there. Not sure why this is even a story?

My guess is we have enough air traffic around here already medevacs fly to and land on MMH with patients they have been trying to get the same for Overlook Hospital over by me and fat boys old house but the town swats it down. So if people round here don't want potential lives to be saved they sure don't care about making up 2 miles for Dopey inc.

50 minutes ago, thadude said:

Really?  I went to Rutgers and lived on George St I don't recall that happening.  They have a facility located on George Street but it's huge and could accommodate a heliport 

Yeah, really.  The pad was right past the fence on the left of the building facing it from George Street.  Disrupted the same class multiple times.  That may have been the only class I had that far down George Street.  

1 hour ago, GKnight83 said:

Part of the problem with Morristown Airport is it is only open from 06:45 to 22:30.  We use to fly in for games from Michigan all the time.  Only about half the time could be land there.

Obviously, the logical decision is not working the airport to accommodate personal use, but to make a new helipad in an urban area.

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Obviously, the logical decision is not working the airport to accommodate personal use, but to make a new helipad in an urban area.

Maybe we could tell Chris and Woody we devised a teleportation system and then put them in a room that looks like it's in Florham Park

2 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

Part of the problem with Morristown Airport is it is only open from 06:45 to 22:30.  We use to fly in for games from Michigan all the time.  Only about half the time could be land there.

Fly in for what games?

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Where is the nearest level 1 Trauma Center? If its more than a 15 minute drive from a Target Hazard like Met Life, then I don't see an issue. Its actually not a bad idea.

Morristown  Medical Center. And I think it would take longer to fly there, since it is like 3 miles from the Jets facility in Florham Park. :) 

8 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

How so? Like whos flying and what kind of plane? A cessna? 

2 hours ago, thadude said:

When were you there?   I was 91-95, and don't remember that either.

39 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Morristown  Medical Center. And I think it would take longer to fly there, since it is like 3 miles from the Jets facility in Florham Park. :) 

Morristown is a Level II. Only 3 level One Trauma Centers in NJ, 

New Jersey Trauma Centers (in alphabetical order)

Level I Trauma Centers

1. Cooper Hospital/University Medical Center, Camden

2. Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick

3. UMDNJ-University Hospital, Newark

Those would have an Interventional Neurologist or Neurosurgeon, Orthopedic Surgeon, and maxillofacial Surgeons available in hospital on duty, instead of on call.

28 minutes ago, chirorob said:

When were you there?   I was 91-95, and don't remember that either.

'99-'03

I lived in the river dorms which were on George St and most of my classes were by George St.  The J&J building is right there but has its own huge campus I don't see how landing a helicopter inside their own campus helipad would interfere with anything outside

Just now, Jet_Engine1 said:

Morristown is a Level II. Only 3 level One Trauma Centers in NJ, 

New Jersey Trauma Centers (in alphabetical order)

Level I Trauma Centers

1. Cooper Hospital/University Medical Center, Camden

2. Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick

3. UMDNJ-University Hospital, Newark

Those would have an Interventional Neurologist on duty, instead of on call.

Newark and Camden need them

8 minutes ago, thadude said:

Newark and Camden need them

Gunshots and Stabbings are bread and butter for Trauma Centers. Its the Neuro stuff that separates the good ones from average.  And MVCs can happen anywhere....and a bad Spinal or Head Injury in a football game would necessitate transport to a Level 1, not to mention the 90,000 people at the stadium who can get into all sorts of trouble. LOL.

Thank God MetLife got rid of all the old drunk guys....

2 hours ago, thadude said:

'99-'03

I lived in the river dorms which were on George St and most of my classes were by George St.  The J&J building is right there but has its own huge campus I don't see how landing a helicopter inside their own campus helipad would interfere with anything outside

Yup. I was in River Dorm 93-94

Archived