idzik.. just how bad was he at drafting players ? ? ?

kelly

1 minute ago, sirlancemehlot said:

He wasn't able to continue the method of short-term big-contract acquisitions while neglecting the draft.  He was all-in on FA's which has a point of diminishing returns eventually.  In the end, Hard Knocks made him a celebrity and he found he really enjoyed it.  Then it was making splashes on the NY back pages that motivated him.  When he was finally let go, he left a dumpster fire behind him.  

To be fair, Tannenbaum was always a fame-seeking weasel.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I don't recall all the teams interested, I just remember he was coming off major injury and it was known he wasn't a fit here anymore.  I can't imagine we could have brought back a blockbuster.

he was never brought in to push Sanchez, the Jets never even talked about him as a QB specifically.  

There were a couple of teams particularly interested immediately. I didn't suggest "blockbuster"; that is you making a disingenuous exaggeration of a counterpoint, like suggesting anyone finding fault with a bad pickup is expecting pro bowlers at every position. But he got scammed; he thought the Jets were going to get a 2nd rounder if NO extended him, which he also surely expected. When was the last time a team traded decent picks for a player, then let him hit free agency (allowing him to receive competitive bidding) before re-signing him? Never, and that's surely what Tannenbaum thought would be the case here. The 3rd rounder was only if he played most of the snaps that year but NO didn't extend him. He got scammed, because they re-signed him but not via extension. Had he worded the language to cover that possibility, we'd have had a 2nd and a 4th instead of a 3rd and a 4th. NO clearly felt Vilma was worth that the day they made the offer.

Well I remember part of the main justification being to "push" Sanchez and, after that 2011 season, provide competition he hadn't had since his rookie summer ended (the prior 2 seasons having glorified QBC Brunell as the nominal #2). There is no shortage of articles you can still find, of Tebow being brought in for those reasons. They weren't that sold on Sanchez despite the extension, and in fact wanted a different QB (a potentially damaged-goods, 36 yr old Peyton Manning) that would have led to cutting their young "franchise QB" outright. The extension was done for 2 reasons primarily: 1) lower his cap number for the immediate season (a Tannenbaum hallmark after biting off more than he could chew) so they could sign LaRon Landry...and Tebow; 2) makeup sex for chasing Peyton Manning. Then there's also the baseless rumor that he was brought in to further selling PSLs, which Woody strongly and repeatedly denied here and here (and elsewhere). There were legitimate, even if foolish/misguided, football reasons for bringing in Tebow.

There were dozens of stories just like this one: Jets will use Tebow to push Sanchez, add spark to offense

I spoke to a few coaches, scouts and team officials off the record; here is some of the buzz that I've gathered about Tebow's arrival in New York:

» The Jets desperately wanted to create some kind of competition at the quarterback position to get the attention of incumbent starter Mark Sanchez. Some players and coaches believe the fourth-year pro has become complacent with his work habits and needs to feel the pressure of a capable backup to take his game to another level. Sanchez never had to fear losing time to past backups like Mark Brunell; his lackadaisical preparation often went unpunished by Jets coaches. Adding Tebow ratchets up the pressure in the quarterback room and lets Sanchez know his job could be on the line if he fails to demonstrate the work ethic and leadership skills of a franchise player.

On 7/10/2017 at 10:48 PM, nycdan said:

If Hack throws 2 TDs to ASJ on Week 1, the bandwagon is going to break an axle from the weight of all the people jumping on at the same time.

ASJ has a two week suspension.....follow the team much?

On 7/11/2017 at 0:04 PM, Beerfish said:

Lets see what he did or had to deal with.

- got rid of a lot of awful contracts and old players who were not longer viable.

- Accumulated a ton of draft picks and many comp picks.

- Refused to pay any one position.  (ie REVIS) too much so that it hamstrung a team.

- Was not allowed to pick his own coach instead having to deal with Rex as he spiraled downwards.

- Set the team up with a lot of cash and draft resources ready to actually rebuild an aging team.

He drafted awfully and for that he deserved to get canned but he handed the team over to our latest regime in good shape.  And low and behold 2 1/2 years later we are back to square one.

- Even the one move everyone hated, was not a terrible one at the time.  That being Harvin.

As he said that the time he was trying to set the team up for sustainable success.  Mac and bowles came in and blew the wad on one year.

Agree on everything but the bold..the Harvin move was pathetic.  So was his (clear to me anyway) roster moves aimed at ridding himself of Rex.  

On 7/11/2017 at 4:33 PM, #27TheDominator said:

We have been down this road several times.  He drew a line in the sand regarding Fitzpatrick.  Then he crawled across it and paid him.  It was too late to pay him and it was wrong to give him that much money.  Nobody else was giving him that kind of scratch at that point.  I did not like Geno, but I would have rolled with him or Petty at that point and taken my lumps.  

People act like the Jets were stuck at QB.  Around 1/3 of the league swapped QBs to start 2016. Was our situation so good that we shouldn't have been one?  

THIS!!!!

22 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The most horrible from Tannenbaum:

• veteran acquisitions you mention: Kimo, Barlow, Clement, Tebow -- all just brutal
  • over-valuing Gholston ("with Mangini at the helm") and 2009's unknown 1st rounder pick over Matt Ryan, itself a result of giving Bryan Thomas too much guaranteed money the year before and he slacked off in 2007. Failure to make this trade - offered right to him - led to Brett Favre that 2008 summer for a 2009 3rd rounder, which then led to Mark Sanchez for 2009's 1st and 2nd rounders. F***ing butterfly effect for all to see.
  • his and Mangini's childish, and purely spiteful garbage with offensive co-captain Pete Kendall who had the audacity of seeking a $1m raise on his $1.7m salary (where Tannenbaum allegedly agreed with him, that April, that his salary was low and what he was seeking was reasonable). He was traded last-minute before the season, leading the team to start Adrien Clarke.
  • the makeup-sex extension for Sanchez after an awful season. He should have been cut outright if MT wanted to clear cap room, and maybe Bradway wouldn't have been "pounding the table" for nothing. Instead of Wilson, we used our 2nd round pick (#47) and paired it with our 5th and 7th rounders to move up 4 slots for Stephen Hill (over Jeffery and Wagner no less).
  • timing the contracts so both his starting WRs (plus B.Smith) hit FA at the same time, leading to an ill-conceived extension for Santonio Holmes with $20m guaranteed (he was well worth the 5th rounder a year before, and could have netted a 3rd round comp pick had we just let him go, which would have been a great move for "Trader Mike")
  • panicking and getting fleeced by the Saints on Jonathan Vilma. Fine to let him go with Harris looking so good after Vilma went on IR, but he really got screwed.
  • allowing the HBO cameras to watch him put the squeeze on Kellen Clemens on final cut-day. It was painful to watch, as he'd tagged Clemens with his original (2nd) round tender, meaning he couldn't sign elsewhere but wasn't guaranteed a roster spot. Only compounded that, after Clemens signed it, he picked up Mark Brunell to be a rostered QBC for Sanchez.
  • ...there's clearly more, but I'm just going to stop here before I damage something in this room.

I can not praise this post enough!!!

Utter madness; the Kendall to Clarke move alone was an abomination of unimaginable stupidity......

Thank you!!

On 7/13/2017 at 7:12 AM, slats said:

One of the biggest mistakes Mac and Bowles made, if not the biggest one, was failing to self-scout accurately after that ten win season. They not only played the weakest schedule in the league that year, but they faced those weak teams in various states of injury depletedness seemingly every week. They were not a good team, and Fitzpatrick was not a good QB. He enjoyed the one healthy year of Decker and Marshall was an absolute beast for him turning inaccurate passes into TDs. Under the same circumstances, Geno could've easily produced similar results. In fact, it's almost good that he was sucker punched out of the starting job because Mac probably would've signed him to a $100M deal given the stupidity of the Fitzpatrick contract. 

you talk about self scouting well he needed a RB someone who could split time with Powell and Forte did a nice job even though our idiot coaching staff ran him into the ground early in the year which was the stupidest thing you could do with an older player. Remember how many reps Powell was getting ? Is no wonder Forte wore down.

He also signed Clady who did a good Job before getting hurt later in the year. 

Did he expect Decker to get hurt, Marshall play the whole season basically on one leg and have an OC who refused to incorporate any form of TE into his offense ?

Bottom line this was a poorly coached team that had major internal issues and I think that first loss to the Bengals was a huge blow to their ego's I mean after all we were supposed to contend and finally looked somewhat complete on offense. No we didnt have a world beater at QB but with all the right peices in place he proved he could play well like he did the year before. Things just did not pan out and the Defense was a complete dumpster fire at just about every level. We needed that Defense to be top five to have any chance at winning or making the playoffs and they were so bad at times it was the worst I have seen Prior to the Parcells arrival.

Everyone wants to blame this on the GM but I think this organization truly felt they had a 2-3 year window to give it one last shot before rebuilding and the experiment failed. Its really that simple. Now the Owner and the GM are on board with gutting and rebuilding this football team and I think we have the right guy to do that. I do'nt think Bowles is the guy but we will see how he does with the young players.

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

This is not a positive.  They tried to force Ferguson to take a pay cut.  When that failed they sent a 5th to Denver for Clady.  Thing is, Clady is kind of broken down and they paid him almost as much as they were scheduled to pay Ferguson. Clady was set to get basically the same thing as D'Brick, but they redid his deal to a 2 year and I am not sure what he ended up with for 2016.  They had him on the hook for a team option at around $12M for 2017.  The difference between what D'Brick was owed and Clady was certainly less than "couch change" as is apparently the saying here.  

Clady played two games in 2013 and no games in 2015.  He wasn't exactly a sure thing replacement. His lasting until around halfway before getting hurt was actually good luck. They evidently weren't satisfied with his performance/durabiliity, so they tried to get him to redo his deal and take a cut.  That didn't go so well and now they have given Kelvin Beachum 3/$24M/$12M guaranteed and Ben Ijalana 2/$11M.

They play these kind of games at LT to save a bunch of nickels, but I have read 30 posts in here saying that the extra $5M here or there has no effect on the team.  It's a joke.  

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

This is not a positive.  They tried to force Ferguson to take a pay cut.  When that failed they sent a 5th to Denver for Clady.  Thing is, Clady is kind of broken down and they paid him almost as much as they were scheduled to pay Ferguson. Clady was set to get basically the same thing as D'Brick, but they redid his deal to a 2 year and I am not sure what he ended up with for 2016.  They had him on the hook for a team option at around $12M for 2017.  The difference between what D'Brick was owed and Clady was certainly less than "couch change" as is apparently the saying here.  

Clady played two games in 2013 and no games in 2015.  He wasn't exactly a sure thing replacement. His lasting until around halfway before getting hurt was actually good luck. They evidently weren't satisfied with his performance/durabiliity, so they tried to get him to redo his deal and take a cut.  That didn't go so well and now they have given Kelvin Beachum 3/$24M/$12M guaranteed and Ben Ijalana 2/$11M.

They play these kind of games at LT to save a bunch of nickels, but I have read 30 posts in here saying that the extra $5M here or there has no effect on the team.  It's a joke.  

I don't think they felt Ferguson was worth the money, he played terribly his last year . Ferguson was a middle of the road LT with durability on his side. He was terrible in the run game and mediocre in the passing game with some really bad sack totals given up in some of his years here most years in double digits. He had what I would say 2 good years the rest was just giving up way to many sacks even in his good years he gave up more sacks than your typical pro bowl LT would give up. Clady was not the answer but maybe the team looked forward to this years FA situation and felt Clady would be a good gamble if he stayed healthy.

But you're right its probably not one of the more positive situations to be discussing

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They wanted no part of Ferguson after his last season, he was awful, and I mean awful. They tried to force him to take the cut to give him backup money, to be a backup, not to save money. Shockingly, good LT's don't magically become available, they took a gamble that Clady would be able to regain his health and his form. There is plenty to criticize, making up nonsense like this does not help your cause.

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Covered much more politely earlier by someone who even acknowledged the nitpick.  Try to keep up.

Yeah I didn't see the nitpick post before I responded....and I have noticed you've already got enough on your plate here in this thread without me needlessly piling on:).  All's good.   

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

you talk about self scouting well he needed a RB someone who could split time with Powell and Forte did a nice job even though our idiot coaching staff ran him into the ground early in the year which was the stupidest thing you could do with an older player. Remember how many reps Powell was getting ? Is no wonder Forte wore down.

Did he expect Decker to get hurt, Marshall play the whole season basically on one leg and have an OC who refused to incorporate any form of TE into his offense ?

Bottom line this was a poorly coached team that had major internal issues and I think that first loss to the Bengals was a huge blow to their ego's I mean after all we were supposed to contend and finally looked somewhat complete on offense. No we didnt have a world beater at QB but with all the right peices in place he proved he could play well like he did the year before. Things just did not pan out and the Defense was a complete dumpster fire at just about every level. We needed that Defense to be top five to have any chance at winning or making the playoffs and they were so bad at times it was the worst I have seen Prior to the Parcells arrival.

Everyone wants to blame this on the GM but I think this organization truly felt they had a 2-3 year window to give it one last shot before rebuilding and the experiment failed. Its really that simple. Now the Owner and the GM are on board with gutting and rebuilding this football team and I think we have the right guy to do that. I do'nt think Bowles is the guy but we will see how he does with the young players.

That's exactly what I'm talking about when I talk about self-scouting. If they thought they actually had a 2-3 year window to compete with a $12M Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm based on the previous season, they failed to recognize just how far away he and the rest of the team were. That's the man's primary function: assessing and improving the team's talent. Bottom line - they should not've thought that! 

I don't like either of the Forte or Clady signings. Not a good argument for Mac. And I very much agree that coaching was an issue, but a big reason he lost that locker room last year centered around the the cadre of Fitz boosters who were clamouring for his return. They're all off the team for a few reasons, and that's one of them. 

I don't hate Mac like some others here, but I definitely understand their complaints. There doesn't seem to be an overall plan. He doesn't put the appropriate emphasis on positional value, drafting safeties and LBs while the team has no QB, no pass rusher, no LT, poor CBs, and a highly questionable WR corps. This after three drafts. He's taking the same chance on Claiborne that just failed with Clady. Is he learning on the job? He overpays on contracts and in trades. He wants to build thru the draft, but squanders opportunities to add comp picks via questionable acquisitions. There's a lot he needs to do better. 

Now, if Hackenberg turns out to be even a capable starter, much will be forgiven. I'm rooting for him, too. 

56 minutes ago, slats said:

That's exactly what I'm talking about when I talk about self-scouting. If they thought they actually had a 2-3 year window to compete with a $12M Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm based on the previous season, they failed to recognize just how far away he and the rest of the team were. That's the man's primary function: assessing and improving the team's talent. Bottom line - they should not've thought that! 

I don't like either of the Forte or Clady signings. Not a good argument for Mac. And I very much agree that coaching was an issue, but a big reason he lost that locker room last year centered around the the cadre of Fitz boosters who were clamouring for his return. They're all off the team for a few reasons, and that's one of them. 

I don't hate Mac like some others here, but I definitely understand their complaints. There doesn't seem to be an overall plan. He doesn't put the appropriate emphasis on positional value, drafting safeties and LBs while the team has no QB, no pass rusher, no LT, poor CBs, and a highly questionable WR corps. This after three drafts. He's taking the same chance on Claiborne that just failed with Clady. Is he learning on the job? He overpays on contracts and in trades. He wants to build thru the draft, but squanders opportunities to add comp picks via questionable acquisitions. There's a lot he needs to do better. 

Now, if Hackenberg turns out to be even a capable starter, much will be forgiven. I'm rooting for him, too. 

Agree with this pretty much in total.  At least the Knicks are soaking up most of the negative attention for how not to run a team right now.  Mac is getting a nearly free pass at the moment but by this time next year, this team should show material progress towards whatever the roadmap is or he's going to be sitting on the sunny surface of Mercury without pants.

I was all the way back on page 11 and realized so much more ridiculousness than I originally pointed out.  Then I realized the stupidity and ridiculousness in trying to point it out now!

1 hour ago, slats said:

There doesn't seem to be an overall plan. He doesn't put the appropriate emphasis on positional value, drafting safeties and LBs while the team has no QB, no pass rusher, no LT, poor CBs, and a highly questionable WR corps.

Much of the issue stems from the fact that there does seem to be an overall plan.  It is just the polar opposite of what the overall plan had been for the prior two years.   That makes it pretty easy to see how the mistakes the past couple of years could have helped the current plan.  It also makes us harp on the other items I didn't snip from the post - positional value and going after injury prone question marks.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Slats I agree they should not have thought that . I'm just trying to point out the reasoning why I don't blame Macc as much as I blame the owner and the coach. I could be wrong obviously, I'm sure most of us are wrong a lot when we try to figure out what other people are thinking but based on the actions of this organization I think that's where they were at right or wrong. That's the only point I was trying to make.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There were a couple of teams particularly interested immediately. I didn't suggest "blockbuster"; that is you making a disingenuous exaggeration of a counterpoint, like suggesting anyone finding fault with a bad pickup is expecting pro bowlers at every position. But he got scammed; he thought the Jets were going to get a 2nd rounder if NO extended him, which he also surely expected. When was the last time a team traded decent picks for a player, then let him hit free agency (allowing him to receive competitive bidding) before re-signing him? Never, and that's surely what Tannenbaum thought would be the case here. The 3rd rounder was only if he played most of the snaps that year but NO didn't extend him. He got scammed, because they re-signed him but not via extension. Had he worded the language to cover that possibility, we'd have had a 2nd and a 4th instead of a 3rd and a 4th. NO clearly felt Vilma was worth that the day they made the offer.

Well I remember part of the main justification being to "push" Sanchez and, after that 2011 season, provide competition he hadn't had since his rookie summer ended (the prior 2 seasons having glorified QBC Brunell as the nominal #2). There is no shortage of articles you can still find, of Tebow being brought in for those reasons. They weren't that sold on Sanchez despite the extension, and in fact wanted a different QB (a potentially damaged-goods, 36 yr old Peyton Manning) that would have led to cutting their young "franchise QB" outright. The extension was done for 2 reasons primarily: 1) lower his cap number for the immediate season (a Tannenbaum hallmark after biting off more than he could chew) so they could sign LaRon Landry...and Tebow; 2) makeup sex for chasing Peyton Manning. Then there's also the baseless rumor that he was brought in to further selling PSLs, which Woody strongly and repeatedly denied here and here (and elsewhere). There were legitimate, even if foolish/misguided, football reasons for bringing in Tebow.

There were dozens of stories just like this one: Jets will use Tebow to push Sanchez, add spark to offense

those stories were all speculation not based in truth.  he was never brought here to compete w/ Mark he couldn't compete w/ Mark and the jets never gave Tebow a chance to play QB.

John Idzik should have the opposite of a statue erected in his honor

The Jets' misfires from 2013-14 show how far bad drafts can set back a franchise

The Jets' trade of Calvin Pryor to Cleveland on Friday was big news, but only because it's early June and only because Pryor is a former first-round pick. The reality is Pryor, who had a nice season in 2015 but was a disaster last season, was going to get released by a Jets team that is rebuilding and ultimately just became a swap of two replacement-level players between two bottom-feeding teams.

After the Jets invested heavily in the safety position in the 2017 NFL Draft, adding Jamal Adams (No. 6 overall) and Marcus Maye (No. 39 overall) early, Pryor became expendable. And he became the latest player drafted by the John Idzik regime to no longer be on the roster. It feels sort of mean to look back at the disaster that was those two years for the Jets, but it's important to realize just how quickly a pair of bad drafts can set a franchise back. 

Let's look at the drafts in question. 

Player, POS

Round, Pick

Career AV

Current Status

Notable Information

Dee Milliner, CB

1, 9

Free agent

3 INT in three years with Jets

Sheldon Richardson, DT

1, 13

On Jets roster

18 sacks in four years with Jets

Geno Smith, QB

2, 39

On Giants roster

28 TD, 36 INT in four years with Jets

Brian Winters, OL

3, 72

On Jets roster

41 career starts, No. 41 G in 2016 (PFF)

Oday Aboushi, OL

5, 141

On Seahawksroster

One year on Jets roster

William Campbell, OL

6, 178

Playing in CFL

Zero starts for Jets

Tommy Bohanon, RB

7, 215

On Jaguars roster

67 rushing yards in three years with Jets

The 2013 NFL Draft was pretty terrible overall, but the Jets really managed to make a mess of things. For starters, this was a terrible year to have two first-round picks. Of the top 10 picks, four (Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson, Ezekiel Ansah, Tavon Austin) are still on their original teams. Milliner was an unmitigated disaster. Richardson is actually a good player and one of the few guys to make a Pro Bowl out of this first round, but he has had off-field issues and the Jets seem pretty hell bent on trading him instead of rewarding him with a new deal. The Jets got that pick from the Buccaneers after trading Darrelle Revis, but would ultimately end up paying him a massive contract anyway. 

Smith was treated like a first-round pick and had a nightmare career with New York. On the bright side, he helped to usher out Tim Tebow? Brian Winters is the only other player from this draft who is still on the Jets roster. If/when Richardson ends up being shipped out and not given a new contract, it's very likely that not a single one of these players from the 2013 draft will have made it to a second contract with the Jets. That's not great.The next year wasn't much better. In fact, in the context of the actual draft class -- one of the best in recent years -- it could actually be pointed out the Jets did a worse job than the year before. 

Player, POS

Round, Pick

Career AV

Current Status

Notable Information

Calvin Pryor, DB

1, 18

Traded to Browns

2 INT in three years

Jace Amaro, TE

2, 49

On Titans roster

38 receptions in one year with Jets

Dexter McDougle, DB

3, 80

On Jets roster

Waived once by Jets

Jalen Saunders, WR

4, 104

Free agent

Released in September 2014

Shaquelle Evans, WR

4, 115

Free agent

Zero career receptions

Dakota Dozier, OL

4, 137

On Jets roster

Jeremiah George, LB

5, 154

Free agent

Released in September 2014

Brandon Dixon, DB

6, 195

On Steelersroster

Released in August 2014

Quincy Enunwa, WR

6, 209

On Jets roster

Waived once by Jets, 1,172 receiving yards

IK Enemkpali, LB

6, 210

Free agent

Once broke Geno Smith's jaw

Tajh Boyd, QB

6, 213

Free agent

Zero career passing attempts

Trevor Reilly, LB

7, 233

On Dolphinsroster

So, yeah. The only starter-quality player that the Jets acquired in 2014 was Quincy Enunwa, who was actually released by the team in September 2014 (along with several of these players) and placed on the practice squad before being promoted to the active roster later in his rookie year. Again, we have a case of not a single player making it to a second contract. There was even a player in this draft -- IK Enemkpali -- who managed to damage a player -- Geno Smith -- from a previous draft. Enemkpali rather notably punched Smith in the face in the locker room, breaking his jaw and knocking him out of the lineup for almost three months. 

All told, the Jets managed to come away with five players who are on the roster from two years worth of drafts. Not five starters mind you -- five players on the roster. That is horrific.

Was anyone worse ?

And it made us wonder whether the Jets managed to have the worst pair of draft classes over that two-year stretch. Looking at every single team's draft, it's pretty easy to identify a group of teams that qualify as candidates to unseat the Jets.But it's also easy to take three quarters of the league and eliminate them. Either someone drafted a star or someone drafted enough good players that the Jets would trade draft classes in a heartbeat. We're only counting players who are still on the roster. Some teams have more than just three players, but the point was to identify enough guys that would qualify them as better than Richardson, Enunwa and Winters.

Here's which teams had unquestionably better drafts than the Jets :

That's a pretty large list, but that feels pretty fair when it comes to ruling those teams out. There's a much smaller group of teams who might have a case to be made for being worse than the Jets. 

Other contenders for worst 2013-14 drafts

Titans (Taylor Lewan) and Bears (Kyle Long): These are impressively bad draft classes for these franchises. If not for identifying a star on the offensive line, they would beat out the Jets. Given Richardson's status with New York (unlikely to remain), we're gonna give the nod to Tennessee and Chicago as better. 

Colts (Jack Mewhort, Donte Moncrief, Hugh Thornton): Not exactly a dynamic group of guys for the Colts either. But their drafts as a whole would be taken over the pair from the Jets. It shouldn't be surprising that they have looked like a team with Andrew Luck and not a lot else.

Broncos (Bradley Roby, Sylvester Williams, Matt Paradis): Conventional wisdom tells us that John Elway built a perennial contender, and Denver did win the Super Bowl after the 2015 season, so it's hard to nitpick too much here. But they secretly didn't have good drafts for that two years. 

Saints (Brandin Cooks, Kenny Vaccaro, Terron Armstead): The Saints got a first-round pick in exchange for Cooks, who was a good pick, so it's hard not to give them better marks than the Jets.

Seahawks (Justin Britt, Luke Willson, Paul Richardson): Woah. This was ... surprising. Or maybe not. The Seahawks didn't have a first-round pick in either of these drafts (the Jimmy Graham and Percy Harvin trades), so they were at a disadvantage. It might also explain why Seattle is struggling to protect Russell Wilson. The Seahawks still edge out the Jets, but this was terrifically close. 

Browns (Joel Bitonio, Christian Kirksey): Here's the amazing thing about this stretch for the Jets. The Browns had 11 total picks in two years and three of them were first-round picks. They drafted Barkevious Mingo, Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel with those picks. And they still came away with two players worth signing for the long haul, two quality players who contribute at a pretty high level. 

That's how truly awful the Jets' pair of drafts in 2013 and 2014 really were, and it's precisely why the Jets roster right now is so devoid of talent.

>    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-jets-misfires-from-2013-14-show-how-far-bad-drafts-can-set-back-a-franchise/

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

To be fair, Tannenbaum was always a fame-seeking weasel.

Maybe, but I don't think that was the problem. I think the problem was that it is easier to make a sh*tty team good than a good team great.  It is also easier to make a sh*tty team good than to keep a good team good.  Especially with a sketchy QB.

Trading away later picks for specific guys in the draft is probably a better idea when your roster is mostly set and you have only a few spots open - see 2009. OTOH, several of those drafts were pretty weak - Ducasse, Hill, Coples, Wilson, Gholston.  Those guys were not historically bad, but when you are only picking a few guys they all have to be hits.

More importantly, IMO, he didn't seem compatible with Rex when things got bad.  Never reigned Rex in and probably didn't have the power to do so.  This led to the integrity bereft lockerroom destroyed by squids like Santonio, Burress and Mason.

53 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

those stories were all speculation not based in truth.  he was never brought here to compete w/ Mark he couldn't compete w/ Mark and the jets never gave Tebow a chance to play QB.

You are confusing the terms provide competition and pushing with some type of tryout for the starting job, which nobody ever insinuated.

Sanchez was the clear starter and that didn't change with the Tebow signing (nor was that the plan). The idea was that he couldn't just goof & slack off anymore, like he could - and had done - when it was just him and Brunell, or he could then lose his starting job.

The "stories" were taken from speaking directly with Jets coaches and players (who also spoke to coaches). It carries more weight than pure fan speculation based on hindsight.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You are confusing the terms provide competition and pushing with some type of tryout for the starting job, which nobody ever insinuated.

Sanchez was the clear starter and that didn't change with the Tebow signing (nor was that the plan). The idea was that he couldn't just goof & slack off anymore, like he could - and had done - when it was just him and Brunell, or he could then lose his starting job.

The "stories" were taken from speaking directly with Jets coaches and players (who also spoke to coaches). It carries more weight than pure fan speculation based on hindsight.

BS, Tebow was 100% a Woody mandate, and it had zero to do with football. I don't care what his employees say to cover it up for him.

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

what competition could he provide against anyone? there was no chance at all he could even challenge mark let alone win the job.  it was all media created.

when did he goof and slack off? 2011 when he set a franchise record for total TDs?  they missed the playoffs partly b/c of him and the O but mostly b/c of the D down the stretch.  Mark wasn't as good in 2011 as he was in 2010 but again he set a record for total TDs and had us in playoff position again and did it entering the season where 3 of his top 5 weapons would be out of football by 2012.

33 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

what competition could he provide against anyone? there was no chance at all he could even challenge mark let alone win the job.  it was all media created.

when did he goof and slack off? 2011 when he set a franchise record for total TDs?  they missed the playoffs partly b/c of him and the O but mostly b/c of the D down the stretch.  Mark wasn't as good in 2011 as he was in 2010 but again he set a record for total TDs and had us in playoff position again and did it entering the season where 3 of his top 5 weapons would be out of football by 2012.

You clearly missed my first sentence where I reiterated that nobody suggested there was some 2-man competition for the starting job.

I doubt they'd have cameras with players and coaches testifying and filming him doing so, if that's what you require. That is what was reported. I furnished you with one, and there is no shortage of plenty more, but it's not my job to furnish you with every one out there. Nor am I inclined to do research for you to win a pointless dispute 5 years after it happened.

You can certainly choose to ignore reports and articles that you dislike. We obviously disagree on his playing level in 2010, or how good a QB he ever was, but I'm not getting into that with you again for the umpteenth time.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I'm just not buying that you know.

Never mind that everyone - including Tannenbaum, after he was already fired with nothing to gain by falling on a sword - said this was Tannenbaum's baby. Not something a person gives media interviews to talk about while he's looking for a job, unless he's looking to diffuse how bad the move was.

Seems likely Denver was shopping him to get rid of the Tebowmania distraction, particularly not wanting it to continue with newly-signed Peyton Manning, and they got a bite on their line when they called the Jets. They'd get a QB to pressure Sanchez, one with starting/playoff experience should Mark get hurt, and they get their replacement Brad Smith for that ****ing wildcat sh**.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe, but I don't think that was the problem. I think the problem was that it is easier to make a sh*tty team good than a good team great.  It is also easier to make a sh*tty team good than to keep a good team good.  Especially with a sketchy QB.

Trading away later picks for specific guys in the draft is probably a better idea when your roster is mostly set and you have only a few spots open - see 2009. OTOH, several of those drafts were pretty weak - Ducasse, Hill, Coples, Wilson, Gholston.  Those guys were not historically bad, but when you are only picking a few guys they all have to be hits.

More importantly, IMO, he didn't seem compatible with Rex when things got bad.  Never reigned Rex in and probably didn't have the power to do so.  This led to the integrity bereft lockerroom destroyed by squids like Santonio, Burress and Mason.

I keep trying to reply to this, but delving back into pointing out how ****ed up Tannenbaum was literally made me sick. I'll just add that Tannenbaum gave $100 mil to Suh and Tannehill just to show off, which will end up putting the Dolphins into a debtor's prison soon, and it'll be beautiful because it's what he repeatedly did here.

Archived