Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kelly

idzik.. just how bad was he at drafting players ? ? ?

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we were in a unique situation where we had to spend a high % of our cap.  would people feel better if we overspent for younger players w/ tougher contracts to get out from?  FA is not a way to win, it's a way to add pieces around your core. the new regime was left w/ very little talent and a ton of money they had to spend.  it worked for a year, should have been able to work for 2 but it didn't.  now we are rebuilding the right way.  will it be painful? yes, will it work? who knows?  but we have tried the quick fix for a long time and have had some success, wouldn't it be nice to build a team that can compete for years?  hopefully it doesn't take as long as the raiders but hopefully we end up like they are now.

You keep saying this.  That does not make it true.  I beg you to read up about the cap floor.  Other than being close on the 90% number (it is actually 89%) you appear to have no understanding whatsoever.  I pray that our GM didn't think that he had to spend all that money for the cap floor. 

You say we have tried the quick fix for a long time, but it would be nice to build a team to compete for years while defending a guy for blowing our chance to compete for years for the quick fix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Parcells didn't get rid of Farrior.  He played him and prayed that he would turn into LT@ 3-4 OLB. Farrior was with the Jets right until Herm used him in the Cover Who when he finally had a  decent year in 2001.  Then he signed with Pittsburgh.

ah, right. Good memory. Herm also tried to make Shaun Ellis a nose tackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Idzik was bad. Don't even look at what Macc has done because that makes it easy to draw parallels and diminishes how bad Idzik actually was.

Idzistill had the decent core left from the Mangini era. Harris, Revis, Mangold, Brick were all still serviceable players. The contracts Idzik cut were all set up by Tannenbaum for exactly that purpose. Idzik did nothing remotely competent as GM. His tenure as GM has left us with 1 average guard, 1 above average wide receiver and 1 great but troubled DE. That's in 2 drafts. In his second draft, considered the greatest WR draft of all time he drafted a safety and passed on a Derek Carr in favor of Geno. 

Macc made mistakes. Not resigning Wilk early, following the media hype on Fitz, not dealing Wilk or Richardson and not  keeping Harrison is probably his biggest mistake. Complaining about Devon Smith is foolish since he didn't have an injury history, it wasn't a Milliner situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't know what the hell you guys are all blathering about.

On this day, I actually feel oddly optimistic about this coming season:  

We don't have a clear #1, but I think we will have a really solid WR corps that will get guys open.

I think Hack will break out and be the guy. Not listening to the negative nancys.

I think all the veteran trimmings were positive moves not tanking moves.

Wildcards are Bowles stupidity and stubborness. If he can stifle himself and embrace young players we can have a good year.

Positivity people. Get psyched.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Parcells took over the best 1-15 team in history, and Rex took over the worst 9-7 team in history, and Maccagnan inherited $60 mil in cap space, but it was a cheap $60 mil.

I really wish I could find the exact moment Idzik became your boo. It's mind-boggling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Idzik was actually great, excellent drafter and GM. He was cut short by inpatient Jets fans.

Either this is a joke or you've lost any and all credibility.

That, and the word is actually "impatient"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

i don't know what the hell you guys are all blathering about.

On this day, I actually feel oddly optimistic about this coming season:  

We don't have a clear #1, but I think we will have a really solid WR corps that will get guys open.

I think Hack will break out and be the guy. Not listening to the negative nancys.

I think all the veteran trimmings were positive moves not tanking moves.

Wildcards are Bowles stupidity and stubborness. If he can stifle himself and embrace young players we can have a good year.

Positivity people. Get psyched.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oh I love this, 100%. You are spot on man. Actually, the unknown is what is so exciting. We actually have some guys who want to play to prove themselves, not only for money. The only thing we have to fear is Bowltite himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Either this is a joke or you've lost any and all credibility.

That, and the word is actually "impatient"...

Some of us probably should be in-patients in the room with the soft walls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

i don't know what the hell you guys are all blathering about.

On this day, I actually feel oddly optimistic about this coming season:  

We don't have a clear #1, but I think we will have a really solid WR corps that will get guys open.

I think Hack will break out and be the guy. Not listening to the negative nancys.

I think all the veteran trimmings were positive moves not tanking moves.

Wildcards are Bowles stupidity and stubborness. If he can stifle himself and embrace young players we can have a good year.

Positivity people. Get psyched.

 

If Hack throws 2 TDs to ASJ on Week 1, the bandwagon is going to break an axle from the weight of all the people jumping on at the same time.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2017 at 6:00 PM, nyjunc said:

we were in a unique situation where we had to spend a high % of our cap.  would people feel better if we overspent for younger players w/ tougher contracts to get out from?  FA is not a way to win, it's a way to add pieces around your core. the new regime was left w/ very little talent and a ton of money they had to spend.  it worked for a year, should have been able to work for 2 but it didn't.  now we are rebuilding the right way.  will it be painful? yes, will it work? who knows?  but we have tried the quick fix for a long time and have had some success, wouldn't it be nice to build a team that can compete for years?  hopefully it doesn't take as long as the raiders but hopefully we end up like they are now.

He could have used that terrible inherited money to keep Snacks. He could have used to to extend Mo earlier (and for cheaper) and pay more of them early so they'd have lower cap numbers later. He didn't have to spend that much, and that's why he was already over the cap in 2016 even after getting another $10m in cap relief from Ferguson.

A year-earlier Mo extension would/could have spent an additional $15m over the $8m he got under his 5th yr option, and the remainder of his cap hits would have been millions less per year. An extension of Snacks in 2015 wouldn't have been nearly the $9m/yr he got as a full UFA after another year of inflation. $6m likely would have gotten that done in 2015, and it could have come with $15m in cash in year 1, which is some $12-13m more cash than he spent on Snacks under his RFA tag amount. 

Those 2 players alone - one of which he ended up keeping anyway, and for more money - would have immediately used up some additional $25-30m of "he had to spend it" cash. That's as much cash as he spent (in 2015) on Cromartie ($7m), Harris ($7.5m), Skrine ($6.5m), and Gilchrist ($5m) combined. The difference is there would have been a windfall of extra flexibility preseved for the future instead of busting his nut early.

This exaggerated myth that he had to sign all these dead-end and/or bad players just grows every time the story is retold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

2012 draft: 

Quinton Coples

Stephen Hill

Demario Davis

Josh Bush

Terrance Ganaway

Robert Griffin

Antonio Allen

Jordan White

Bad drafts don't necessarily end a team's chances at being competitive.  The Pats have had a few clunkers too.  It's bad management that sinks a football team.  Idzik was better than Mac in this regard by leaps and bounds.

 

 

That's great and all but Idzik's first draft was 2013 sooooooo......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Idzik might have been the worst GM I've seen in at least 20 years.  Matt Millen was arguably better.  Chip f*cking Kelly got better talent than that ugly scarecrow looking mother f*cker in his BB-wannabe role and by the end of his Eagles tenure that dude was just saying "F*ck it, let's try this!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, phill1c said:

Either this is a joke or you've lost any and all credibility.

That, and the word is actually "impatient"...

Picking up on sarcasm isn't really your thing huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Matt39 said:

ah, right. Good memory. Herm also tried to make Shaun Ellis a nose tackle.

This is patently false!  He tried to make Ellis an "under tackle."  He was trying to recreate the Dungy Tampa D and was going with Ellis in the Sapp role.  I believe that Ferguson was supposed to play the nose.  I think that was Brad Culpepper with the Bucs.  Bad idea either way. It was only 30 pounds!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Idzik was actually great, excellent drafter and GM. He was cut short by inpatient Jets fans.

maxresdefault.jpg

 

:eusa_shifty:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I love that like half the posters here have somehow convinced themselves that Idzik-Maccagnan comparisons are intended as a compliment to Idzik and not as an insult to Maccagnan.

Lets be clear, comparing anyone to Idzik is as bad of a shot as you can take on a GM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Picking up on sarcasm isn't really your thing huh?

I'm not here enough to distinguish between sarcasm from the normal Jets fan stupidity. There are still people posting here who support Idzick and were upset when FitzSuckage lost his starting job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I'm not here enough to distinguish between sarcasm from the normal Jets fan stupidity. There are still people posting here who support Idzick and were upset when FitzSuckage lost his starting job.

Right, and people who still think Geno Smith is a starting QB, not sure whats worse.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NoBowles said:

Right, and people who still think Geno Smith is a starting QB, not sure whats worse.....

Who here thinks Geno Smith starts for a team?

I think you mean there are people here who think Geno Smith has the talent to be a starter. I'm one of them, especially when compared to FitzFoolsGold and Josh McSucksWorse. But I get it, you took the time to get a dig in on Geno Smith because it's very important to your worldview. Were your previous forum names NoGeno and before that NoHerm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  



×