Jump to content
Scott Dierking

Any knowledge of NJIT?

Recommended Posts

On July 13, 2017 at 6:18 AM, JoeC36 said:

Both my parents and my younger brother  went there. Like someone said, the area the school is in is safe and a nicer part of Newark. I don't know a lot about the school because there was no chance I was ever going there, but I do remember my brother -- who graduated top of his class in high school and never really had to work hard academically -- commenting about how demanding the academics were, especially in the engineering program. 

And if I remember correctly, it's also a school were a lot of students go home on the weekends and there's not a lot going on. 

I took a summer course at Rutgers Newark which is by there and, yes, that campus is dead after 4pm most days and I'm sure it's a suitcase school on the weekends

 

I think proximity to New York City would help from a social standpoint you are just a short uber ride to Newark Penn  which gives you easy access to Manhtattan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

We are entitled to disagree.  I have several clients who make 7 figures who never went to college. Doesn't justify not going.  I am a fan of UNCW. Terrific accounting department for example.  

Where you go to school doesn't matter it's what degree you get and what type of job you get after you graduate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Agreed. 

Obviously you have to take advantage of the doors as well. 

well..we do agree.  I wish I was a better HS student. I was unable to get in to any prestigious schools BUT when I worked at PWC in the 80's, I saw how young kids who went to top 25 schools were treated.  They also were "coached" by their parents. I tried to do this for my kids.  I watched my mom get a GED so....  she couldn't coach me much. No regrets.  I make a nice living, I am very happy BUT I wanted my children to have more. My UNC daughter has a job in DC that we both agree was available because she went to UNC.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, thadude said:

Where you go to school doesn't matter it's what degree you get and what type of job you get after you graduate 

I have seen in many places that they have a "Ivy only" policy etc.   Big investment houses for example love to hire at the Ivy's and other top 10 schools. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2017 at 10:09 PM, Maxman said:

This is an amazing accomplishment all around, great job! You must be so proud.

I don't know much about the baseball program. But the school is top notch. Has an excellent reputation. And I know Newark well, as has been said previously the school itself is safe. Just stay in that area and there will never be a problem. And when you go to visit go to Don Pepe, just don't eat for like two days before hand. Amazing food. :)

Congrats and good luck to your son with the decision. Is he going into his senior year in high school?

Thank you. He will be a senior in high school this coming year. looking to have him commit to the right college by end of August. He is dead set on a D1.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Thank you. He will be a senior in high school this coming year. looking to have him commit to the right college by end of August. He is dead set on a D1.

 

Everyone is dead set on D1. He is just in the .00004% that has D1 set on him apparently lol.  Seriously is an amazing accomplishment and I don't think people realize how tough it is to accomplish what he has, great job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Thank you. He will be a senior in high school this coming year. looking to have him commit to the right college by end of August. He is dead set on a D1.

 

 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Everyone is dead set on D1. He is just in the .00004% that has D1 set on him apparently lol.  Seriously is an amazing accomplishment and I don't think people realize how tough it is to accomplish what he has, great job.

Here in the south you run across guys that played at the big schools Carolina (UNC), NC State, Georgia, Wake etc as Charlotte is a huge banking center and attracts them after graduation. Example, Jay Bilas was a lawyer here for years.  That said its so kool to see a color photo 8*10 or 12*14 of your lawyer, banker, and yes accountant in a D1 college uniform, on the sideline, court etc hanging on his wall or on his desk.

 I play golf with my colleagues son. OL for NC State. He blocked for Glennon and Russel Wilson.  (Trying to get him to ask my daughter out :D)  Great stories he tells.

One of my colleagues played at UNC from 76-80. Rarely saw the court but he gets invited to all the get togethers and has pics  in his office with Jordan, Worthy, etc.  Memories alone are worth a million bucks.  BTW... he is now 6 foot 1 and 230. :D

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2017 at 2:07 PM, southparkcpa said:

I have seen in many places that they have a "Ivy only" policy etc.   Big investment houses for example love to hire at the Ivy's and other top 10 schools. 

Yes but the point I made earlier was that if you go to an Ivy with the intent/passion of being a Chemist, realize you are "only" middle of the pack in Chemistry (or below) and switch to accounting just because it's easier....then the world just lost a really good scientist.  No shade intended on accounting, but we really could use good scientists. 

For every story you're talking about with many doors being opened purely by the school you go to, there are TONS of stories that aren't quite as visible where kids end up choosing careers they're not meant for and getting "stuck" all because they chased a dream at an elite school purely because it was elite, not knowing what that would do to their career path. 

Ultimately, it's important that people to be able to do what they're passionate about doing.  It makes the world tick a little better.  Remember, only about 30 % of people are truly happy at their jobs/careers, to the point where, if they won the lottery today, they wouldn't quit their job.  And waxing poetic about Ivy's and UNC's can actually do more harm than good depending on the student.

Granted, people change, and the things they're passionate about at 17 can be very different from what they're passionate about at 27.  But I still think there's merit to the idea that if you can excel at an Ivy, go to an Ivy.  And if you can't, there's nothing wrong with going to a school that's a step below so you can actually get a degree in what you want to do. 

And that is true with the middle tier schools too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes but the point I made earlier was that if you go to an Ivy with the intent/passion of being a Chemist, realize you are "only" middle of the pack in Chemistry (or below) and switch to accounting just because it's easier....then the world just lost a really good scientist.  No shade intended on accounting, but we really could use good scientists. 

For every story you're talking about with many doors being opened purely by the school you go to, there are TONS of stories that aren't quite as visible where kids end up choosing careers they're not meant for and getting "stuck" all because they chased a dream at an elite school purely because it was elite, not knowing what that would do to their career path. 

Ultimately, it's important that people to be able to do what they're passionate about doing.  It makes the world tick a little better.  Remember, only about 30 % of people are truly happy at their jobs/careers, to the point where, if they won the lottery today, they wouldn't quit their job.  And waxing poetic about Ivy's and UNC's can actually do more harm than good depending on the student.

Granted, people change, and the things they're passionate about at 17 can be very different from what they're passionate about at 27.  But I still think there's merit to the idea that if you can excel at an Ivy, go to an Ivy.  And if you can't, there's nothing wrong with going to a school that's a step below so you can actually get a degree in what you want to do. 

And that is true with the middle tier schools too. 

Thats a lucid and reasonable argument.  Not sure you read any of my posts in the Carolina GM thread BUT... the new GM of the Bills is a UNCW  guy.  I knew him as an intern in 1996.  His sister and I worked together at a CPA firm and I was at her wedding, he interned for us.  He left to take an entry level admin job with the Panthers.  Incredible story!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Thats a lucid and reasonable argument.  Not sure you read any of my posts in the Carolina GM thread BUT... the new GM of the Bills is a UNCW  guy.  I knew him as an intern in 1996.  His sister and I worked together at a CPA firm and I was at her wedding, he interned for us.  He left to take an entry level admin job with the Panthers.  Incredible story!

Yeah man, we're proud to call him an alum!  UNCW may be a young university but we've had some nice success stories. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×