Fess up...your hits and misses

AFJF

I'm sure I've started a similar thread to this in the past, or seen one that somebody else started, but I always think they're pretty cool if people are honest enough.

Who are some players you liked/loved coming out of college who you were right about, and who proved you dead wrong?

A few of mine...

Hits:

JJ Watt, Ben Roethlesberger, Dre' Bly, Leon Washington, Brandin Cooks, Martavis Bryant and even though he's only played one season, I really liked Dak.

Misses:

D-Rob, Justin Blackmon, Mark Barron, Quinton Coples, Michael Myers, Dakota Dozier (might be a solid pro, but I thought he'd win a starting job by year three), Dee Milliner, Jarvis Jones and waiting to join the list...Hack.

Whatcha got JN?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a huge college football guy, so I admittedly don't follow every single player.  However I'll often review game videos on the top QB prospects and form an opinion.

Hits: Phillip Rivers, Derek Carr, Joe Flacco, Jay Cutler (sort of)

Miss: Jake Locker (thought he was going to be a stud), RGIII

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS-  I often fall in love with mid-round QBs. LOL:

- I thought Kyle Orton was going to be a steal for someone. While he wasn't bad, he wasn't very good, either.

- I thought Ryan Nassib would be solid. He was garbage.

- Bryce Petty was my favorite QB in the 2015 draft. I was very happy when we took him. Ummm......yeah.

- Mike Glennon was my top QB in 2013, and Hackenberg was last year. We'll find out the truth about both pretty soon.

EDIT: I was a big Kirk Cousins fan.

I'm trying to avoid the obvious guys like Newton or Luck, because we all thought they were going to be good. 

Hits:  

OBJ- I thought he was a stud from the start when people said Mettenberger was the reason behind him

Wilkerson- I thought the biggest reason he dropped was because of playing at Temple, but I really liked the pick

Mike Evans:  A lot of people argued for Manziel as the reason why Evans put up stats, but I loved his profile of size/speed and ability to high point the football

Ryan Shazier:  If we were going defense in that draft, this was the guy I really wanted

Jhonny Manziel:  Hated his game, thought there was no way he would succeed in the league, and here we are

Aamari Cooper:  Although pretty obvious he was good I guess

Marcus Peters:  I thought on the field, he was a top tier talent

David Johnson:  Mentioned in a podcast I listened to pre-draft, checked videos, loved him

Miss:

Justin Hunter-  I loved the potential there and the size/speed match up

Donte Moncrief:  Another guy that I was super high on, and hasn't lived up to expectations

Geno Smith:  I thought he would be much better than he turned out to be

Dee Milliner:  I still think if it wasn't for injuries, he'd be a stud, but just can't stay healthy

Jarvis Landry:  Miss the other way, I thought he was over-rated with slow speed but he has been a stud

De'Anthony Thomas:  I expected him to have the impact that Tyreek Hill had last year

Dorial Green Bechkam:  I thought if he dedicated himself to football, he'd be a stud, unfortunately that hasn't happened.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu:  I thought he'd be really good, and worth a shot after the injury caused him to drop

Not a big College FB guy so going a slightly different direction: 

Hit: Brandon Marshall - I thought that was tremendous trade/value at the time and I think he lived up to what we paid for him. 

Miss: Doug Jolley - I really thought he was going to be the answer to our TE issues and the Raiders would rue the day they made that trade. 

Bonus miss: Mike Nugent - thought the kid was the answer to our Kicker woes and would live up to 2nd round pick similar to a Janikowski. 

Thought that John Huart was actually in competition for the starter in '65

Actually bought in that Lam Jones was going to turn into a smaller Bob Hayes

Really don't pay attention to college ball until just before the draft then I believe all you jamooks that certain Jets are future stars.  

5 hours ago, win4ever said:

I'm trying to avoid the obvious guys like Newton or Luck, because we all thought they were going to be good. 

Hits:  

OBJ- I thought he was a stud from the start when people said Mettenberger was the reason behind him

Wilkerson- I thought the biggest reason he dropped was because of playing at Temple, but I really liked the pick

Mike Evans:  A lot of people argued for Manziel as the reason why Evans put up stats, but I loved his profile of size/speed and ability to high point the football

Ryan Shazier:  If we were going defense in that draft, this was the guy I really wanted

Jhonny Manziel:  Hated his game, thought there was no way he would succeed in the league, and here we are

Aamari Cooper:  Although pretty obvious he was good I guess

Marcus Peters:  I thought on the field, he was a top tier talent

David Johnson:  Mentioned in a podcast I listened to pre-draft, checked videos, loved him

Miss:

Justin Hunter-  I loved the potential there and the size/speed match up

Donte Moncrief:  Another guy that I was super high on, and hasn't lived up to expectations

Geno Smith:  I thought he would be much better than he turned out to be

Dee Milliner:  I still think if it wasn't for injuries, he'd be a stud, but just can't stay healthy

Jarvis Landry:  Miss the other way, I thought he was over-rated with slow speed but he has been a stud

De'Anthony Thomas:  I expected him to have the impact that Tyreek Hill had last year

Dorial Green Bechkam:  I thought if he dedicated himself to football, he'd be a stud, unfortunately that hasn't happened.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu:  I thought he'd be really good, and worth a shot after the injury caused him to drop

Landry was a hit and miss for me.

I said he'd be better than OBJ

Landry was a hit and miss for me.
I said he'd be better than OBJ

I was a believer in Landry until he had that horrible 40, then the negative press rolled in and I bought into it even after I think he ran better at his pro day.

What impressed me about OBJ was his ability to keep his speed during cuts, and his insane ability to high point the ball.

Good thread. I'm not a draftnik but let's see what I can remember.

Hits: Randy Moss, Sanchez, Geno, Milliner, Brandon Scherff, Carr the Younger, RGIII

Misses: Manziel, Fitz (last year), Kevan Barlow , Gholston (but those muscles!), Ryan Leaf (!!)

Wow, I need to stop. Too humiliating! :rl:

48 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I was a believer in Landry until he had that horrible 40, then the negative press rolled in and I bought into it even after I think he ran better at his pro day.

What impressed me about OBJ was his ability to keep his speed during cuts, and his insane ability to high point the ball.

Landry actually pulled a hammy on that 40

41 minutes ago, jgb said:

Landry actually pulled a hammy on that 40

Yeah, I read that he ran faster during the Pro-day, but I bought into media throwing him down in a loaded draft and got scared of him.  When I was first looking at them, I thought OBJ was better, but Landry wasn't that far behind.  They both ran really good routes and had great hands.  

I remember that draft really well because I was all in on wide receivers.  I think I watched film breakdowns of like 20 receivers, and I never even watched Shaq Evans, he was a total WTF pick for me.  Even Enunwa wasn't on my radar.  I did see some Jalen Saunders though, especially while I was looking at returners.  

6 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, I read that he ran faster during the Pro-day, but I bought into media throwing him down in a loaded draft and got scared of him.  When I was first looking at them, I thought OBJ was better, but Landry wasn't that far behind.  They both ran really good routes and had great hands.  

I remember that draft really well because I was all in on wide receivers.  I think I watched film breakdowns of like 20 receivers, and I never even watched Shaq Evans, he was a total WTF pick for me.  Even Enunwa wasn't on my radar.  I did see some Jalen Saunders though, especially while I was looking at returners.  

Well you're right about OBJ being better. Landry is a sticky hands possession ace. OBJ is a true game breaker #1. They are both important parts of a fabled WR class that the Jets--as you point out--whiffed on completely.

Good:

Austin Sefarian Jenkins: I wanted the Jets to draft him, and while we haven't seen enough yet, I still think he is going to show why he was touted so high.

Melvin Ingram: I always had the Jets taking him, and believe he would have been a STUD for us.

Alshon Jeffrey: Had Ingram and Jeffrey in my mock drafts online.  I should have had the first two picks in 2012!

Derek Carr: I wanted Carr, but understood why he wasn't taken.  See below for Bad.

Jamal Adams: We don't know yet, but when I saw mock drafts having him fall to us, I was thinking "Not a chance this kid who could be as good as Polamalu."  I was purdy happy, and think this was a great pick.

Paxton Lynch: Remains to be seen, but I still think this was the pick over Darron Lee.  I still think Lee will be okay, but when you don't have a QB....

TJ WATT: I like Maye, but I wanted the Jets to be bold and move back into round one to get JJ's brother.  Imagine Adams AND Watt for rounds 1 and 2.  Who knows, he could bust though.

BAD:

Geno Smith: Was happy with the pick, thought he would come in with a chip falling to the 2nd round AND being the second QB picked.  Didn't pan out.

Bryce Petty: Was exactly the guy I wanted the Jets to pick, thought he might develop, but doesn't look like it.  I will take a QB as good as Petty in the 4th any day to see if it translates to NFL caliber.

Christian Hackenberg: Wanted the Jets to take a flyer on him, just not in the second round.  I don't think he will work, but I am HOPING.

Kellen  Clemens: I believed the Jawarski hype; I thought he could have been the QB for us.

Ryan Leaf: Apparently, I should not judge QB's.  I thought he would have battled Peyton his whole career.  Oops.

Kenrick Ellis: Thought we should have traded Snacks to get a boat-load because Ellis was going to be as good.

Jerry Hughes: Couldn't believe the Jets didn't take him.  While better than Kyle Wilson, I thought he would have been a perennial pro-bowler.

I would add Johnny Manziel to the good.  I knew this kid was going to fall flat on his face in the NFL, and could not BELIEVE the number of fans that wanted the Jets to take him in the 1st round.  It blew my mind that people could not see this kid was going to INDY 500 crash into a fiery ball of death flames in the NFL.  

Hit: Big Ben- I knew he'd be the guy; Devin McCourty- I wanted him but there's more to that draft below; Jeremy Kerley- we drafted him and I was sure he'd be out slot guy for years; Burfict- I knew all the issues he had were gonna be overshadowed by his talent

Miss: Sanchez- I came around on him before the draft; Kyle Wilson- I couldn't believe he fell to us I was hyped, I was wrong; Gholston-everyone knew he was gonna be our pick so I came around before the draft and bought the "he beat Jake Long hype"

18 hours ago, AFJF said:

I'm sure I've started a similar thread to this in the past, or seen one that somebody else started, but I always think they're pretty cool if people are honest enough.

Who are some players you liked/loved coming out of college who you were right about, and who proved you dead wrong?

A few of mine...

Hits:

JJ Watt, Ben Roethlesberger, Dre' Bly, Leon Washington, Brandin Cooks, Martavis Bryant and even though he's only played one season, I really liked Dak.

Misses:

D-Rob, Justin Blackmon, Mark Barron, Quinton Coples, Michael Myers, Dakota Dozier (might be a solid pro, but I thought he'd win a starting job by year three), Dee Milliner, Jarvis Jones and waiting to join the list...Hack.

Whatcha got JN?

I think we both need to have Ryan Fitzpatrick on our "misses" list.  Fitz is why it says "F" under my avatar.  F for Failure. 

7 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Hit: Jerrod Mayo, Nick Mangold, Eric Berry 

Miss: Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Jace Amaro

I loved Earl Thomas as much if not more then Berry, but loved both, so I guess those 2 are hits for me.  On a related note I think both Adams, and Hooker will be looked at in the same view as Berry, and Thomas when their careers are established a few years down the road.

36 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Good:

Austin Sefarian Jenkins: I wanted the Jets to draft him, and while we haven't seen enough yet, I still think he is going to show why he was touted so high.

Melvin Ingram: I always had the Jets taking him, and believe he would have been a STUD for us.

Alshon Jeffrey: Had Ingram and Jeffrey in my mock drafts online.  I should have had the first two picks in 2012!

Derek Carr: I wanted Carr, but understood why he wasn't taken.  See below for Bad.

Jamal Adams: We don't know yet, but when I saw mock drafts having him fall to us, I was thinking "Not a chance this kid who could be as good as Polamalu."  I was purdy happy, and think this was a great pick.

Paxton Lynch: Remains to be seen, but I still think this was the pick over Darron Lee.  I still think Lee will be okay, but when you don't have a QB....

TJ WATT: I like Maye, but I wanted the Jets to be bold and move back into round one to get JJ's brother.  Imagine Adams AND Watt for rounds 1 and 2.  Who knows, he could bust though.

BAD:

Geno Smith: Was happy with the pick, thought he would come in with a chip falling to the 2nd round AND being the second QB picked.  Didn't pan out.

Bryce Petty: Was exactly the guy I wanted the Jets to pick, thought he might develop, but doesn't look like it.  I will take a QB as good as Petty in the 4th any day to see if it translates to NFL caliber.

Christian Hackenberg: Wanted the Jets to take a flyer on him, just not in the second round.  I don't think he will work, but I am HOPING.

Kellen  Clemens: I believed the Jawarski hype; I thought he could have been the QB for us.

Ryan Leaf: Apparently, I should not judge QB's.  I thought he would have battled Peyton his whole career.  Oops.

Kenrick Ellis: Thought we should have traded Snacks to get a boat-load because Ellis was going to be as good.

Jerry Hughes: Couldn't believe the Jets didn't take him.  While better than Kyle Wilson, I thought he would have been a perennial pro-bowler.

I would add Johnny Manziel to the good.  I knew this kid was going to fall flat on his face in the NFL, and could not BELIEVE the number of fans that wanted the Jets to take him in the 1st round.  It blew my mind that people could not see this kid was going to INDY 500 crash into a fiery ball of death flames in the NFL.  

Half your list hasn't even played a game, or more than a handful WTF?  That's like saying back in 06 I knew Rodgers should have stayed in that green room longer cmon.

The past couple years, as I've grown to like the "take one every year" approach, I like to target a QB or 2 for us - outside the 1st round every year.

I've "banged the table" for:

• 2017: Nathan Peterman
  • 2016: Dak Prescott and Jacoby Brissett
  • 2015: Brett Hundley, Bryce Petty
  • 2014: Jimmy Garrapolo, Kevin Savage
  • 2013: Landry Jones
  • 2012: Brock Osweiler, Kirk Cousins

Some solid choices in there, imo.

Jets hits and misses

HR Fitzpatrick, I called him a fraud from day 1 2015, and never stopped calling him a fraud.

Sanchez, was so pissed when the Jets traded up for him, I wanted Crabtree after we traded up, and was all aboard for Nicks before we traded up.

Leo Williams that's to easy thou.

Mo Wilk, all the info on the kid was pointing towards a guy who would work hard, and succeed.  I guess the work hard is in question now.

Coples, couldn't stand the pick.

Every Idzik pick except Sheldon, hated every single pick, and Sheldon, and I guess Q are the only ones that proved me to be wrong on, but I thought I could have drafted better those 2 years then not in hindsight 2013 I remember loving Trufant, Rhodes, Reid, and Hopkins 1st round, and loving Glennon, and the Honey Badger later in the draft.  2014 wanted ODB so bad, but out of reach hated Pryor pick liked Dennard, Kelvin Benjamin, and Cooks, but also wanted Manziel so, 2nd Rd loved A Robinson so much was pissed.

Misses

Kyle Wilson 

Stephen Hill

Sheldon Richardson didn't like the pick.

I'm sure there is a ton more.

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think we both need to have Ryan Fitzpatrick on our "misses" list.  Fitz is why it says "F" under my avatar.  F for Failure. 

I was talking more about guys coming out of college, and I have no issues with wanting Fitz last season.  As I said several times during the offseason, I would have preferred a trade for Glennon.  I didn't want Fitz because I thought he was a great choice, but I wanted Fitz because the alternative was Geno.

Even after the year Fitz just had, he got $2 mil guaranteed and Geno got $850K.  We weren't alone in wanting Fitz over Geno, and the league still feels the same way.

Archived