Njc- Now Calvin Johnson wants to come out of retirement

Raideraholic

and play with Derek Carr.     https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/7/11/15956500/calvin-johnson-wants-to-play-derek-carr-still-be-playing-football-if-lions-released-his-contract.

The lions aren!t going to cut Calvin Johnson.  They can't afford his salary if he unretires. The lions would probably want some of his signing bonus back , if he wanted to play.(thus probably making it not worth it the money the Raiders can pay him.( what he would owe the lions) .

Only way it can happen is probably a trade like Marshawn lynch did.   

If that every happened the Raiders would surpass the Patriots as Afc favorites.

for the sake of a accuracy:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/07/11/detroit-lions-calvin-johnson-retirement/470049001/

The former All-Pro WR spoke pretty candidly about his time and exit from the Lions in a recent news conference in Italy

The Detroit Lions’ status as a Super Bowl nobody, coupled with an aging body, apparently played a role in Calvin Johnson's retirement.

Johnson, speaking during a news conference in Italy for Italian Bowl XXXVII in Vicenza, included the team's on-field performance as a reason for his departure from the NFL. It’s the first time Johnson has spoken about the team’s lack of success playing a role in his retirement.

"I didn't see a chance for them to win a Super Bowl at the time," Johnson said. "For the work I was putting in, it wasn't worth my time, to keep on beating my head up against the wall, and not go anywhere.

"It's the definition of insanity."

Johnson mentioned his recent trip to Oakland to watch the Raiders practice. Oakland native Marshawn Lynch, 31, who retired from the Seahawks in the same off-season as Johnson, is making a comeback with the Raiders. 

"We actually came into the league together," Johnson said. "He's in a great situation. If I was to keep playing, I would have played in Detroit. It just wasn't for me anymore."

Later in the media session, Johnson was asked if he thought about ever playing for a different team. 

"Of course I thought about it," Johnson said, adding that it's not as easy for football players to create super teams as it seems to be in the NBA. "I was stuck in my contract in Detroit. And they told me they would not release my contract, so I would have to come back to them."

The contract he was stuck in was an eight-year, $132-million deal with about $60 million in guarantees.

Asked if he thought the Lions would ever make the Super Bowl. He paused an extra beat, bringing a moment of levity. 

"At some point, they gotta make it," Johnson said. "I don't know when, but they gotta make it."

In May, Johnson hosted his annual football camp for high school players at Southfield A&T High School. There, he told the Free Press he wasn't interested in a return to football.

The 31-year-old Johnson said he didn't like talking about the Lions much "just because of the way our relationship ended. 

"I just didn't feel like I was treated the way I should have been treated on the way out. That’s all. I mean, it’s all good. I’m not tripping. I don’t feel any kind of way, just hey, that's what they did. Hey, it is what is."

In June, the Free Press reported that Johnson paid back the Lions at least $1 million of the $16-million signing bonus the team paid him when he signed his most recent contract.

14 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

and play with Derek Carr.     https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/7/11/15956500/calvin-johnson-wants-to-play-derek-carr-still-be-playing-football-if-lions-released-his-contract.

The lions aren!t going to cut Calvin Johnson.  They can't afford his salary if he unretires. The lions would probably want some of his signing bonus back , if he wanted to play.(thus probably making it not worth it the money the Raiders can pay him.( what he would owe the lions) .

Only if it was the Calvin Johnson of 5 years ago not the Calvin Johnson who was out of football for over a year.

23 minutes ago, jgb said:

If Detroit owns his rights still (have no idea) they should give him a choice: come back to us or we trade you to jets.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

LOL I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, after all, he comes here and the HC would play him at LB. CJ is a true gentleman though and one of the few guys who we can actually say played for the love of the game and not just for a paycheck.

52 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

He repaid his signing bonus money.

19 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

So because Carr made his list of QBs he wouldn't mind playing with, like Favre, Rodgers etc, we've whittled it down to he wants to play for the Raiders. 

Nothing better than getting bogus Raider news on a Jets forum

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Y'all hating on it, but I'd f*cking LOVE to watch Carr with a WR Group of CJ and Crabtree on the outside with Amari Cooper in the slot.

They're still not beating the pats.  Now if Aldon Smith got reinstated we could talk

On 7/12/2017 at 1:24 PM, chirorob said:

He repaid his signing bonus money.

he repaid the pro rata portion of his bonus for the portion of his contract he abandoned via retirement.  Not uncommon.  But he's still under contract, so the Lions are still calling the shots (like Seattle did with Lynch.)

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

he repaid the pro rata portion of his bonus for the portion of his contract he abandoned via retirement.  Not uncommon.  But he's still under contract, so the Lions are still calling the shots (like Seattle did with Lynch.)

Yes, that is correct.   He paid back what he had to, and is under control for as long as that contract would have run ( I think)

6 hours ago, thadude said:

They're still not beating the pats.  Now if Aldon Smith got reinstated we could talk

Khalil Mack and his gang are doing just fine.  Genuinely believe that they are the only team around right now that can give the Pats fits.

On July 12, 2017 at 4:28 PM, thadude said:

Raiders haven't won a playoff game with this regime but a has been WR is making them favorites over the Pats?

The Raiders offense is going to be one of the best right now.   They severely upgraded that unit this offseason.   Marshawn Lynch - Beastmode in best shape of his career,  Te Jared Cook- a receiving threat to attack the middle, and down the seams ,Wr  Cordaelle Patterson - first one of the best kick returners in the game.   Raiders have big plans for him in their offense. Whether it's him lining up at Wr or at RB- get him matched up on a lb. Get the ball in his hands in space, and watch him work his kick return magic.

You have one of the best physical offense line around blocking for a deep RB corps.  Not just Beastmode as Jalen Richard , and Deandre Washington are no jokes whether it's as runners or receivers.( all going to get their touches) Without a doubt the best offense line M Lynch has ever ran behind.

now you add Calvin Johnson as third wr, with one of the best starting Wr duo of Amari Cooper ,and Michael Crabtree . Te Jared Cook Rb M Lynch.   With a Qb that keep getting better in Derek Carr.  I don't care you have Denver defense , or Kc defense - you aren't stopping that offense. Choice how you want to lose- by getting run on, or getting beat over the top.

The Patriots offense line is no match for the Raiders defense line.( Beauty is they know where Brady will be) . With Calvin Johnson the Raiders offense would be unstoppable.  Easy they stop the Patriots offense , more times than they stop the Raiders offense.

On July 12, 2017 at 6:15 PM, Jet Nut said:

So because Carr made his list of QBs he wouldn't mind playing with, like Favre, Rodgers etc, we've whittled it down to he wants to play for the Raiders. 

Nothing better than getting bogus Raider news on a Jets forum

No he spent a week in Raiders Ota's . ( came in as guest of Raiders OC  and as a coach)  Hit off with all the players/Carr , and if he comes back it will be with the Raiders.( just does him no good contract wise to limit himself to one team. ( trying to get the most coin he can get).

Like the Beastmode  news was bogus too. ( think I reported that as well).

9 hours ago, thadude said:

They get the most important player back De/DT  Mario Edwards Jr. ( healthy he as big impact on defense as K Mack).   The Raiders are fine pass rushing from the outside with K Mack and Bruce Irvin.   ( Aldon smith just  would make the rotation deeper) Patriots aren't blocking either player,

Mario Edwards excellent holding the point at De, but where he makes the biggest impact when slides inside. Able to push the pocket where the Qb can't step up.  ( where they had trouble last year)  With Mario Edwards in the lineup you can add 5-6 sacks more to K Mack.( Qb can't step up, and is sitting duck for Mack) 

45 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

No he spent a week in Raiders Ota's . ( came in as guest of Raiders OC  and as a coach)  Hit off with all the players/Carr , and if he comes back it will be with the Raiders.( just does him no good contract wise to limit himself to one team. ( trying to get the most coin he can get).

Like the Beastmode  news was bogus too. ( think I reported that as well).

Dream on.  Along with the magically young Beast Mode

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Lynch should do better than this, We shall see. 

Matt Forte stats

Career stats
Year
Team
ATT
YDS
AVG
TD
REC
YDS
AVG
TD

Maybe he should try to get more than the 400 or so yards he got in his last season in Seattle before he goes after 800?

Stop chasing ghosts. 

Archived