Former Jets QB Chad Pennington hopes Todd Bowles gets the chance to turn franchise around

Gas2No99

Former Jets QB Chad Pennington hopes Todd Bowles gets the chance to turn franchise around

Chad Pennington believes Todd Bowles can be the right coach for the Jets if he's given the opportunity.

Chad Pennington believes Todd Bowles can be the right coach for the Jets if he's given the opportunity. (BILL KOSTROUN/AP)

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

In Bowles, Chad Pennington trusts?

The former Jets quarterback appeared on "Good Morning Football" Thursday where he said he hopes the franchise gives Todd Bowles an opportunity to turn things around instead of putting him on the hot seat.

"My one hope for the Jets is that they give coach Bowles a chance to right the ship, don't pull everything away from him and then make him the reason why they're getting rid of him because of the lack of success," Pennington said. "He is the right guy, I think he showed that in his first year, last year was an anomaly and this year you can see, wow, what a task he has."

Pennington has played for Bowles twice in his career and referred to him as an "amazing" coach.

Bowles is going into his third season with the Jets this year. The team finished 10-6 in his first year before dropping to 5-11 in his second.

The Jets are currently rebuilding after gutting their roster of talent like Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and David Harris this offseason.

Bowles will now be tasked with trying to find a way to win games and to find out who should be the starting quarterback between veteran Josh McCown and youngsters Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg.

Not only did Pennington back Bowles, but he also showed support for McCown as a veteran leader.

Bowles has a record of 15-17 through two seasons with the Jets.

Bowles has a record of 15-17 through two seasons with the Jets. (Julio Cortez/AP)

"Having Josh McCown in the quarterback room is essential. He was a teammate of mine in Miami. (He's an) amazing person, so for anybody to be able to go in there and stabilize the room, Josh can do that," Pennington said.

Conventional wisdom suggests the Jets should start Hackenberg, though, to figure out if he's the long-term answer as Gang Green is unlikely to win many games this season.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

My one hope for the Jets is that they give coach Bowles a chance to right the ship, don't pull everything away from him and then make him the reason why they're getting rid of him because of the lack of success," Pennington said. "He is the right guy, I think he showed that in his first year, last year was an anomaly and this year you can see, wow, what a task he has."

This is some word salad, boy.

35 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Chad..... who thought Herm was a good coach.   

Chad set this team back years with his insistence that HE was the right guy.

Chad was a straw man playing in a game with fire. 

1. How did he set the team back?  Not his fault when his body started to fall apart they didn't bring in a replacement earlier.  

2.  What was his insistence that HE was the right guy? 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is some word salad, boy.

Raised in Tennessee and educated in West Virginia, so . . . . he takes the scenic route when explaining things. :D (despite him being a FINALIST FOR, but not being a, Rhodes Scholar; unlike Dollar Bill Bradley.)

I'll always like Penny. If the guy was durable, I have no doubt he would have brought a SB here. Kid was just an icredible football mind and had all the tools to succeed before his injury. Yeah he didn't have a huge arm, but that was overblown. Once he tore the labrum though, it was over and he was never the same. His "weak" arm became a legitimately weak arm that could no longer make NFL throws.  But the guy had the perfect mental makeup and approach to the game. He was Peyton Manning-esque. I'd love for him to get out of the broadcasting game and into coaching. He'd likely be an incredible coach.  Jets should ask him every year if he'd like to join a staff as a quality control asst and groom him on a fast track to be a QB coach.

That said, I get that Bowles is a highly respected coach in NFL circles. I get that he's in a bad situation. I get all the reasons to keep him.  But I have 2 to get rid of him that trumps all the good. 

1) He lost the team.

2) He has no ability to effect the game from the sidelines. That's a bit of a catch all in saying he can't game plan, cant adjust, can't manage game situations or a clock properly, can't scheme an effective defense to fit the players abilities (stuck in his "system").

He's probably a great guy and an old school coaches coach type of guy.  But he's also toothless and ineffective. 2 things that you can not be taught or developed. You either command respect or you don't. You either are a guy that will do whatever it takes to find a way to make things work for you or you are the type of guys who is willing to just to sit back and become a spectator when you feel things are out of your control. 

As much as I want to hate on Bowles I have to consider a couple things. His first season he led a fierce Defense, brought a lot of pressure and many different blitz schemes that worked. Last year the secondary couldn't cover in man coverage, couldn't jam receivers at the line for some reason. Revis being one of them. Got burnt early and often and stayed off the line. Wilk didn't play well and Bowles moved players out of their comfort zone on the line. In hindsight a mistake. He had no input on the offense so that's on Gailey. He probably should have made some executive decisions on the offensive side of things but didn't. If he can restore the defense and we get some production out of the new OC we might have a renewed look at Bowles in 2018. If not then Bowles can  get the f*** out.

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

1. How did he set the team back?  Not his fault when his body started to fall apart they didn't bring in a replacement earlier.  

2.  What was his insistence that HE was the right guy? 

Thank you

As soon as someone challenges the narrative of group think folks get bent out here. 

I mean no disrespect to any poster out here, but Chad Pennington probably knows more about NFL football than all the posters out here combined and that isn't an opinion that is probably a fact.

That doesn't make Chad automatically correct, but it does mean that his opinion is one that we should take seriously.

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you

As soon as someone challenges the narrative of group think folks get bent out here. 

I mean no disrespect to any poster out here, but Chad Pennington probably knows more about NFL football than all the posters out here combined and that isn't an opinion that is probably a fact.

That doesn't make Chad automatically correct, but it does mean that his opinion is one that we should take seriously.

Yup. theres some weird idea that because his career was cut short because of injuries hes a loser who has no idea what hes talking about and isnt qualified to comment on todays game or team

On 7/14/2017 at 10:44 AM, peebag said:

for the love of all that's holy, please let all Chad Pennington talk die.

Why?  He was interviewed and made some comments about a coach who he has knowledge of. 

On 7/14/2017 at 9:23 AM, MaxAF said:

As much as I want to hate on Bowles I have to consider a couple things. His first season he led a fierce Defense, brought a lot of pressure and many different blitz schemes that worked. Last year the secondary couldn't cover in man coverage, couldn't jam receivers at the line for some reason. Revis being one of them. Got burnt early and often and stayed off the line. Wilk didn't play well and Bowles moved players out of their comfort zone on the line. In hindsight a mistake. He had no input on the offense so that's on Gailey. He probably should have made some executive decisions on the offensive side of things but didn't. If he can restore the defense and we get some production out of the new OC we might have a renewed look at Bowles in 2018. If not then Bowles can  get the f*** out.

I am so sick of that excuse for innefective defenses from our defensive HC's that we have had a string of for forever. You want to fix that problem of not having 3 elite CBs to make their schemes work? It's easy. Draft some goddamned edge rushers.  We cry that our schemes don't work and the HCs that run them don't have the corners to operate with. Guess what, there are almost no teams with 2 great corners, some don't even have one. Yet they somehow find a way to play defense and sack the opposing QBs. Get a consistent pass rush and talent at 3-4 DE and 3-4 OLB and don't worry about drafting safeties, Corners and middle line backers.  You can get by at all those positions with average players. You can't skimp on pass rushers.  Priority 1 should be an edge rush combo, then priority 2 is an interior pass rush, then 3 is cornerbacks.  That's all you need to focus your drafting on.  You can always use FA for ILBs, NTs and Safeties.  If a guy like Earl Thomas or some incredible MLB talent like a Keuchly drops to you in the 1st, sure fine, go nuts...but over time the plan should always be to prioritize the critical positions in the draft.  On offense focus on QB, OT and WR.  Everything else (RB, TE, OG, OC) can be league average and you will be fine. But we are the Jets and we seem to focus on getting the best players at non-essential positions.

If Bowles was smart he would hire a game management assistant, a la Dick Curl.  

In season 1 Bowles showed promised but had weaknesses to work on.

In season 2 Bowles was awful and his weaknesses were worse.

To survive during and after season 3, Bowles needs to return to season 1 while addressing his weaknesses in game planning, game management, team discipline and player development.   Lots of weaknesses, but everyone is rooting for him.  He hired better assistants.   The roster is dubious.  I give 3:2 odds he gets fired.  

On 7/14/2017 at 9:23 AM, MaxAF said:

i'm okay with that too.  coaches are pretty disposable but at this point being anti bowles after two seasons is just not quite right.  it seems people are always to give this guy or that guy a break for not having the right players around him but it's the same with coaches.  year one he got tremendous production from marshall, fitz, decker, enunwa, etc.  year two and those same players put up sub par years or were injured.  let's see what he does this season before breaking out the pitchforks and torches.

On July 14, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you

Spot on CB.

5 hours ago, Larz said:

There were some things I liked about Pennington, but he is a big phony. Always saying the company line

Company line? It's just how intelligent players speak when addressing the media. Maybe Derek Jeter was a phony too then. And even if Chad was a phony....so what?  I'd rather hear players push the company line and act like a professional and be a phony than have some idiot player vocalizing his own stupidity to the media just to keep it 100 and effectively add to the circus atmosphere that our highly unprofessional beat writers look to perpetuate.

19 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

I am so sick of that excuse for innefective defenses from our defensive HC's that we have had a string of for forever. You want to fix that problem of not having 3 elite CBs to make their schemes work? It's easy. Draft some goddamned edge rushers.  We cry that our schemes don't work and the HCs that run them don't have the corners to operate with. Guess what, there are almost no teams with 2 great corners, some don't even have one. Yet they somehow find a way to play defense and sack the opposing QBs. Get a consistent pass rush and talent at 3-4 DE and 3-4 OLB and don't worry about drafting safeties, Corners and middle line backers.  You can get by at all those positions with average players. You can't skimp on pass rushers.  Priority 1 should be an edge rush combo, then priority 2 is an interior pass rush, then 3 is cornerbacks.  That's all you need to focus your drafting on.  You can always use FA for ILBs, NTs and Safeties.  If a guy like Earl Thomas or some incredible MLB talent like a Keuchly drops to you in the 1st, sure fine, go nuts...but over time the plan should always be to prioritize the critical positions in the draft.  On offense focus on QB, OT and WR.  Everything else (RB, TE, OG, OC) can be league average and you will be fine. But we are the Jets and we seem to focus on getting the best players at non-essential positions.

Nice rant but the reality of the last two years is that in 2015 man coverage was sustainable and it gave the Jets the ability to wreak havoc on offenses. In 2016 the secondary was toast and couldn't cover a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. That's when the D started to fall apart. They stop blitzing, moved Richardson to LB, and other dumb sh**

21 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Nice rant but the reality of the last two years is that in 2015 man coverage was sustainable and it gave the Jets the ability to wreak havoc on offenses. In 2016 the secondary was toast and couldn't cover a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. That's when the D started to fall apart. They stop blitzing, moved Richardson to LB, and other dumb sh**

They quit. It was clear as day. Total lack of effort.

3 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

They quit. It was clear as day. Total lack of effort.

I would tend to agree with that as well but Revis and Skrine couldn't cover in man and the secondary looked like a band of misfits with so many blown coverages. The NFL is a passing league and say what you will but a team needs to have an exceptional secondary. When Revis had his Island you seldom saw a pass even go to his side of the field. That's making an impact on an opposing offense.

10 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

I would tend to agree with that as well but Revis and Skrine couldn't cover in man and the secondary looked like a band of misfits with so many blown coverages. The NFL is a passing league and say what you will but a team needs to have an exceptional secondary. When Revis had his Island you seldom saw a pass even go to his side of the field. That's making an impact on an opposing offense.

That's true about Revis locking down his man, but even during the "Revis island" days it still didn't really stop the better passing attacks from killing us, it just made the opposing teams have to beat us without their top WR threat. Great coaches would have been able to take advantage of that.  But our team still got smoked often enough by the other teams WRs, slot guys, TEs and/or RBs. Remember how bad Lito Sheppard was opposite Revis.  Even when we had Revis Island, the predominant thinking we that had to keep drafting someone or hitting FA to get another great CB to play the #2 opposite him.  Then even when we fixed the #2 spot and got Cromartie and he was playing at the top of his game, then we just got Kyle Wilson-ed by the better teams out there. If Wilson somehow held up or we started deploying other guys like Ellis Lankster or whoever was hot for a stretch, we still lost those close games by RBs taking a pass between Pace and Harris and just destroying us on 3rd downs. We definitely had some great success under Rex with his blitzing schemes and his use of Revis, but it was very short lived and even during those 2 great years we were always just waiting for the other team to adjust to stop the blitzes, and find that mismatch to exploit and once they did, we were usually gutted on the field.  That's the rub on the past 10 years or so, we had a great CB but still always had a hole in our pass defense. And the real problem was almost always the lack of true pass rushing talent. So we watched the opposing QB get to his 3rd reads, and we blamed the issues on coverage.  So rather than closing the time the QB had to throw, we tried to "fix" the coverage issues by working backwards and identifying who got beat and then throwing money or draft picks at that problem, continuing to ignore the real issue.  I agree the NFL is a passing league and you need good CB play across the board. But I would say that a pass rush is more important to defending the passing game than CB play is. .

11 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Company line? It's just how intelligent players speak when addressing the media. Maybe Derek Jeter was a phony too then. And even if Chad was a phony....so what?  I'd rather hear players push the company line and act like a professional and be a phony than have some idiot player vocalizing his own stupidity to the media just to keep it 100 and effectively add to the circus atmosphere that our highly unprofessional beat writers look to perpetuate.

So... you dont want the truth?   You want the company line?  Got it.  

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

So... you dont want the truth?   You want the company line?  Got it.  

LOL. Yes, I guess.  The truth? You want the truth? What is this geopolitics?  It's the NFL. I just want to root for a team that I like and that represents itself well and with class and competes hard every game and wins well.  I want to see the game I love be presented as a great sporting event between sportsmen.  I don't want to listen to a bunch of selfish entitled players complaining about their union deals and spouting off at the mouth about getting their money and the hardships they endure and how they are living the big baller lifestyle.  I simply want to be entertained by an entertainment property.  The players are generally unrelatable and sometimes entirely unlikable.  I want to watch my favorite sport played with integrity by guys who love the sport.  I don't need to know about their money issues, what kinds of cars they have, how many hot sluts they bang, or any of that stuff that isn't important to the game itself. 

Some people love to get immersed in their story, who they are, what personal battles they overcome, etc...I just don't care. I'm not interested in a players need to brand himself to get more marketable.  I don't care about that. I only really care about how they play the game. Some guys make it to the highest level in the sport without flash and grandstanding. That's preferable to me.  Jerry Rice and Peyton Manning are some of my favorite players in NFL history, I know next to nothing about their personal lives or what they do for fun in the offseason.  I have read everything I could about their approach to the game, and I followed their careers very closely.  I want to watch guys like that, who put everything into their jobs and reaped the rewards.  I don't give a rats ass if they gambled with Jeter and MJ on the weekends or if they were in the club until 3 am getting their knobs polished by some TMZ all star.  Simple contract for me as a fan - I want to root for you as a player - all I expect is that you work as hard as you can, play every down hard, compete and don't embarrass the franchise with their immaturity and stupidity.  Marvin Harrison might be a gang kingpin based on some of the crazy news reports I heard a while back, but hey, that guy had a great career and was a model citizen in the league when he was playing. He repped his team well and now that he's out of the league, nobody really cares if he's hiding guns in alleyways in Philly or whatever.

So maybe that makes me an old white guy or whatever, which I am.  I'm very happy with that and this is what I want to consume as a fan. If you want to call that the company line, fine. I don't watch the additional content at the end of Game of Thrones to hear some actors talking on how they had difficulty acting out one of the scenes outside with high winds and sun glare.  I don't give a rat's ass. Same is true for the NFL players.  I only care about the quality of the product. Just make a great show and show me some boobs and dragons or great football.

22 hours ago, Larz said:

There were some things I liked about Pennington, but he is a big phony. Always saying the company line

How is he being phony?  What company line?  Who gave it to him and sent him out to tell their story on NFLN? 

Funny how it goes from his opinion, based on experience with Bowles, to being a phony shill for the Jets when we don't agree with his point of view. 

At least there aren't as many he should STFU posts as we usually get when a player talks

Archived