sincere question: Box Spring - Necessary?

Gas2No99

Getting a new hybrid mattress and I am rather skeptical of the supposed requirement of a Box Spring. Is it necessary? if you have a platform bed, as opposed to a bed frame w/slts, doesn't the platform serve the same purpose as the box spring?

Aside from the typical sales pitch that it "prolongs mattress life" :rolleyes: Is there any real added benefit from the box spring or should I just save the $150 let it lay on the floor and await the arrival of the platform bed (mid Sept)? 

Thanks.  

Ive often pondered the same thing. 

My vote is spring=bullcrap

Its old school logic and technology. They want to sell sets.  Ive had matresses on flat platform beds with no issues. Even on laminate when i was in colleve. 

F boxsprings

The days of expensive mattress / boxsprings are over. 

You can order a king foam type from walmart for 365. They kick ass. Trust me, ive slept on many and theres nothi g bad about it. Recommend to others and they love it too. 

For 365, get a new fresh one every 5 years

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not to beat a dead horse....but why? Why are they needed? Specific responses please...

box springs came out waaaayyyyy back in the day when there was only 1 kind of bed. Its obsoltete imo.

what purpose does a box spring serve on a platform bed?

btw, i hate walmart, but for 375 you can get a king memory foam mattress thats soooo comfy

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 5:02 PM, HighPitch said:

Not to beat a dead horse....but why? Why are they needed? Specific responses please...

box springs came out waaaayyyyy back in the day when there was only 1 kind of bed. Its obsoltete imo.

what purpose does a box spring serve on a platform bed?

btw, i hate walmart, but for 375 you can get a king memory foam mattress thats soooo comfy

i had to buy one for my mattress to have its warranty.... $300

25 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I got a Purple Mattress. No Boxspring. Great bed.

I saw these internet ads about 6 months after i bought my mattress.  would have given it a try if i had seen it earlier, me thinks.

14 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

i had to buy one for my mattress to have its warranty.... $300

I saw these internet ads about 6 months after i bought my mattress.  would have given it a try if i had seen it earlier, me thinks.

Very different type of mattress, the foam "grid" top almost completely gets rid of pressure points, but Its still a firm and supportive bed.... A bit too firm for my wife so we put a 2" memory foam topper on it and its now the best bed Ive ever slept on. Im a big guy (6'2, 270ish) and this bed gives me a perfect level of cushion and support without retaining heat. 

Archived