The real nightmare.

EM31

6 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

The reason there is a TOTAL lack of faith in our owner and his organizational leadership. For me, I think Woody is a total roadblock to success. Organizations tend to operate as an extension of their leadership and the sad fact is we just don't have any. Woody is our James Dolan. That total lack of faith in this team to make the right decisions and take the necessary steps to improve itself in the right way is why I feel they will need to find a way to win in spite of themselves.  The best way we can hope for any real success is to try to leap on the shoulders of an elite QB and hope that he can be the hero for the fans (ideally for for the next 12 years or more) and help the team overcome the ineptitude of our owner and the dysfunction caused by his inability to run a company. The least likely way is to expect that our 70+ year old owner finally turns the corner and becomes an intelligent, strategic asset to this team instead of an incompetent trust fund baby who bought a seat at the NFL big boy table with his mommy's money but will never get to be one of the big boy owners.

Woody is a bad owner but somehow he didn't stop Herm from making the playoffs a bunch of years and Rex almost getting to the SB twice

I think the ownership thing is a little overrated.  Bob Kraft would be just another owner if TB12 didn't magically land in his lap 17 years ago

48 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

The reason there is a TOTAL lack of faith in our owner and his organizational leadership. For me, I think Woody is a total roadblock to success. Organizations tend to operate as an extension of their leadership and the sad fact is we just don't have any. Woody is our James Dolan. That total lack of faith in this team to make the right decisions and take the necessary steps to improve itself in the right way is why I feel they will need to find a way to win in spite of themselves.  The best way we can hope for any real success is to try to leap on the shoulders of an elite QB and hope that he can be the hero for the fans (ideally for for the next 12 years or more) and help the team overcome the ineptitude of our owner and the dysfunction caused by his inability to run a company. The least likely way is to expect that our 70+ year old owner finally turns the corner and becomes an intelligent, strategic asset to this team instead of an incompetent trust fund baby who bought a seat at the NFL big boy table with his mommy's money but will never get to be one of the big boy owners.

This happens with a small pocket of Jets fans every so often: the team gets driven into the ground by bad coaches, inept GMs, and (of course) short-sighted ownership, then these fans--who legitimately want to stay positive--convince themselves that their bad team moving to 6-10 is a major achievement which will no doubt lead to going 8-8, then 10-6, then into contention. Alas, the NFL does not work this way. The contracts don't allow it, the career ambitions of coaches don't allow for it, and the rules of the game don't allow it. The game is won by transcendent talents at the QB and pass rusher positions and those positions are picked in the top five every year, and they don't become available as free agents. So unless you have one (or both) of those guys on your roster before going 6-10, you're never, ever, ever, getting into contention until you crash the team, get that top-five pick, and hit on the passer or pass rusher. 

Likewise, the "young, hungry player" is a fun thing to convince yourself of and works in a similar fashion--fans convince themselves there's a linear path from being an overachieving UDFA to becoming an All-Pro. It lets you believe that Robby Anderson, through sheer force of will, can develop into Dez Bryant. The realistic outlook for guys like Anderson and Peake is that they can keep a roster spot on the cheap for awhile and contribute some on special teams and in four-wide packages long enough for you to draft and develop the great QB. And if that QB is great enough, maybe he makes Anderson or Peake appear worthy of a veteran contract. It's fine if you want to take solace in Darron Lee and Marcus Maye playing hard during a 4-12 season, but at least admit it's a minor consolation when you're rooting for a team with no talent at the five or six premium positions and a GM and coach that don't seem to recognize what those positions are. 

39 minutes ago, thadude said:

Woody is a bad owner but somehow he didn't stop Herm from making the playoffs a bunch of years and Rex almost getting to the SB twice

I think the ownership thing is a little overrated.  Bob Kraft would be just another owner if TB12 didn't magically land in his lap 17 years ago

The owner gets you the big coach, the valued GM, the in-demand executives. Bad owners can't even get interviews with these guys because working for a bad owner is career suicide. 

14 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I get the fear, I really do. I wouldn't trust anyone running this franchise to order me a ******* pizza. But talent is talent. I honestly can't see any realistic path to more than 4 wins for this team.

What "talent" have they lost from last years 5-11 team?  

Decker basically missed the whole season..Revis mailed in the whole season..Marshall sucked & was a locker room cancer..Fitz went back to being non-2015 Fitz, Pryor sucks..Harris can't run (good 1st down player)..Mangold missed most of last season (or was playing banged up when he did play)...Clady was healthy for 2-3 games and played with one arm 4-5 games before going on IR...Mo Wilk was coming off a broken leg..(he's now playing basically for his 2018, '19, '20 contract to be picked up at $19m a yr)..

And if Mangold, Harris, Decker, Fitz (somewhat based on 2015), etc...were such great leaders (as many here always liked to point out) why did they allow the season to implode?       I never thought of Revis or Marshall as leaders so I didn't mention them as such.   

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/muhammad-wilkerson-7745/

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The owner gets you the big coach, the valued GM, the in-demand executives. Bad owners can't even get interviews with these guys because working for a bad owner is career suicide. 

Tbh I don't have any problem with the hires Woody has made over the years EXCEPT for Idzik and our current regime which he delegated to Casserly who is clearly losing his mind

Herm, Mangini, Rex, Tanenbaum, Bradway -- they were all flawed but at least they were capable of being succesful.  Unlike the current sh_tshow

8 hours ago, JAFJET said:

Don't even worry about blowing the tank. i have great faith in Todd Bowles.

All it takes is 3-4 flukey wins and we lose out on Darnold and Allen.

All we had to do was lose totally boring and meaningless late season games against the Steelers & Titans in 2014 and we get the #1 pick and Jameis Winston and probably make the playoffs each of the last 2 seasons with a bright future.

Thanks Rex

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:52 PM, T0mShane said:

Now you've done it. We're drafting an SEC corner at 6 and it's gonna be your fault.

Nah...Derwin James, Safety out of Florida State is the pick.  We'll be loaded at that position!

Archived