Teddy Bridgewater, the OTHER future no one is talking about!

Mogglez

Teddy Bridgewater: The OTHER future no one is talking about!  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or Nay

• Call the Vikings up, offer a conditional pick.
    • After missing out on Darnold, Rosen, & Allen, stick to the plan of drafting and developing our own guy and draft someone like Mason Rudolph in the mid first and go that route.

It's been a slow month and I'm feeling all sorts of inspired after reading the Kirk Cousins thread.

So picture this: The Jets (unfortunately, IMO) win 6-8 games in the same fashion of Geno Smith's rookie year (bad QB play but defense and a couple of lucky breaks net us some wins)...were out of the race for the big 2-3 QBs.  How would you feel about us trading a conditional pick (I'm thinking a 4th or 3rd that can become a 2nd based on health/playoff success) to the Vikings for Teddy Bridgewater? 

Personally, as of today, I'd rather go ahead and draft someone like Mason Rudolph, a guy that I believe will cement himself as a top 15 player in the draft this year but.....I still have a soft spot for Teddy and a year of collegiate ball can change a lot.  I absolutely loved him as a prospect and all the news out of Minnesota is that the success of Sam Bradford along with the investment put into him has pretty much taken him out of their future plans.  If we screw ourselves out of the top guys and Hack doesn't look the part, I can't say I'd be 100% against it.

Again, this isn't my ideal situation, but it's food for thought as we wait out the long days until training camp.

15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It's been a slow month and I'm feeling all sorts of inspired after reading the Kirk Cousins thread.

So picture this: The Jets (unfortunately, IMO) win 6-8 games in the same fashion of Geno Smith's rookie year (bad QB play but defense and a couple of lucky breaks net us some wins)...were out of the race for the big 2-3 QBs.  How would you feel about us trading a conditional pick (I'm thinking a 4th or 3rd that can become a 2nd based on health/playoff success) to the Vikings for Teddy Bridgewater? 

Personally, as of today, I'd rather go ahead and draft someone like Mason Rudolph, a guy that I believe will cement himself as a top 15 player in the draft this year but.....I still have a soft spot for Teddy and a year of collegiate ball can change a lot.  I absolutely loved him as a prospect and all the news out of Minnesota is that the success of Sam Bradford along with the investment put into him has pretty much taken him out of their future plans.  If we screw ourselves out of the top guys and Hack doesn't look the part, I can't say I'd be 100% against it.

Again, this isn't my ideal situation, but it's food for thought as we wait out the long days until training camp.

I think seppuku could become a real option. I like Bridgewater, and apparently he is moving about and throwing the ball now.

If we are going to sink let's do this right. Meaningless wins have no place this year.

6 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I think seppuku could become a real option. I like Bridgewater, and apparently he is moving about and throwing the ball now.

If we are going to sink let's do this right. Meaningless wins have no place this year.

I stumbled across the video he put out today while chasing away the dark and crippling depressive thoughts that cross my mind every night so that's actually another thing that inspired this thread.  Seppuku is always on the table.

Totally agree with your second part, but this is the Jets and you just know somehow were gonna win one more game than needed so I figured it could be a fun discussion.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I stumbled across the video he put out today while chasing away the dark and crippling depressive thoughts that cross my mind every night so that's actually another thing that inspired this thread.  Seppuku is always on the table.

Totally agree with your second part, but this is the Jets and you just know somehow were gonna win one more game than needed so I figured it could be a fun discussion.

Perhaps the Jets could supply free Jet emblem Samurai swords, for when we draft a Corner at #5 next year.

From what I understand, why offer the pick?  The Vikings declined his 5th year option, which means this is his walk year, coming back from a significant injury.  Unless he lights it up and they franchise tag him, he will be a free agent.  

So if we go in the 6 win range and pick near the bottom half of the top 10, we can just sign him outright without the pick.  

His injury was pretty substantial, so I would like to see how he does coming back before making an investment.  

Honestly, if we miss out on the top three, and our QB options suck, I could see him coming in as an option.

On a draft basis, Rudolph, Mayfield, Jackson, Browning, Rypien, Stiddart are all options in the second and third tier of QBs.  I would roll with any of them and hope we can coach them up.

On that topic, I'd fire Bowles before he gets to the locker room at the end of the season.  

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

What gets to me the most is both Bridgewater and Carr was available. But because we had The Great Geno Smith, we passed on both for Calvin Pryor.

John Idzik, The GM that made Tanny look like Ozzie Newsome.

19 minutes ago, win4ever said:

From what I understand, why offer the pick?  The Vikings declined his 5th year option, which means this is his walk year, coming back from a significant injury.  Unless he lights it up and they franchise tag him, he will be a free agent.  

So if we go in the 6 win range and pick near the bottom half of the top 10, we can just sign him outright without the pick.  

His injury was pretty substantial, so I would like to see how he does coming back before making an investment.  

Well it gets a little tricky here because word out of Minnesota is that the Vikings may not clear him for play until AFTER Week 7, which to my understanding, will toll his contract and give the Vikings one more year of control in 2018

(source: https://www.dailynorseman.com/platform/amp/2017/5/3/15537330/more-teddy-bridgewater-option-clarification).  

Now what happens there I can't totally answer because I'm sure Teddy will fight it and it could get messy, but my guess is that, given the nature of the injury, the league will have to side with the Vikings.  That's the information I'm rolling with for this thread so that's why I mentioned offering a conditional pick.

10 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

What gets to me the most, is both Bridgewater and Carr was available. But because we had Great Geno Smith, we passed on both for Calvin Pryor.

John Idzik The GM, that made Tanny look like Ozzie Newsome.

Preaching to the choir my man.  I mentioned that in the "How bad at drafting was John Idzik?" thread and there were people who said he was bad, but still better than Tannenbaum and Macc. Regardless of how you feel about the other two, John Idzik was depths lower than them.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Preaching to the choir my man.  I mentioned that in the "How bad at drafting was John Idzik?" thread and there were people who said he was bad, but still better than Tannenbaum and Macc. Regardless of how you feel about the other two, John Idzik was depths lower than them.

I could do better blind drunk, throwing Darts at a list of Draft prospects.

I can't believe people don't get the reason our roster is in such a mess is Idzik blow two drafts, and one with 12 picks. This quote always a telling one

"Surprisingly enough, the Jets used all 12 of their picks, electing to let the draft come to them rather than make moves up the board."

The best pick was a long shot 6th rounder called Quincy Enunwa.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Well it gets a little tricky here because word out of Minnesota is that the Vikings may not clear him for play until AFTER Week 7, which to my understanding, will toll his contract and give the Vikings one more year of control in 2018 (source: https://www.dailynorseman.com/platform/amp/2017/5/3/15537330/more-teddy-bridgewater-option-clarification).  Now what happens there I can't totally answer because I'm sure Teddy will fight it and it could get messy, but my guess is that, given the nature of the injury, the league will have to side with the Vikings.  That's the information I'm rolling with for this thread so that's why I mentioned offering a conditional pick.

If they can keep him off, it'd work out for the Vikings, but I'm guessing it's going to be messy if Bridgewater can play and they intentionally leave him on the PUP.  I heard he was already working out and stuff without braces, so it might be hard for them to argue, but it's conceivable.  

I would make an inquiry if he shows anything this year of being over his injury issue, although then I'm guessing the only way he would be able to show that is if Bradford sucked, or got injured.  And that would mean, they would be reluctant to move on from Teddy, if the contract didn't toll.  He definitely did show that he could be a decent QB before the injury and I was high on him coming into the draft as well.  I think the only knock was really his arm strength.  

Assuming Hackenberg/Petty look like they aren't the answers next year, I really want the Jets to go in on QBs next year.  Heck, I wouldn't even blame them if they repeated the safeties thing this year and picked two in the first two rounds.  It's one of the more loaded drafts I've seen in a long time at QB.  

Hypothetically, let's say you are at pick 5.  Darnold/Rosen/Allen are in the draft.  Do you trade up to 3? Do you try to get Bridgewater or mega contract to Cousins?  Do you pick a second tier guy?  All this assumes Hackenberg/Petty are out of the picture.  What would you do? If you are moving up, what would you give up? If you sign Cousins, are you willing to make him highest paid QB? Which second tier guy would you go for at 5?

I think that's my biggest fear with the Jets next season, that they somehow win about 3-4 games, with both Hackenberg/Petty looking horrible.  I expect Darnold/Rosen/Allen to test really well to cement the top three to the point that moving up from anywhere will be enormous.  

5 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I could do better blind drunk, throwing Darts at a list of Draft prospects.

I can't believe people don't get the reason our roster is in such a mess is Idzik blow two drafts, and one with 12 picks. This quote always a telling one

"Surprisingly enough, the Jets used all 12 of their picks, electing to let the draft come to them rather than make moves up the board."

The best pick was a long shot 6th rounder called Quincy Enunwa.

The worst part about that is, Enunwa was left on the practice squad for most of the year, open for another team plucking him off, which shows the vote of confidence they had on him.

I never understood how they could pick all 12 guys, when there just isn't that much room to fit all these new guys in.  I can understand passing on QB, Geno looked improved the last 4 games, and I could see them leaning away, since he did play with horrible receivers.  The one thing I have no idea how to explain is why in God's name did we pick Pryor? He made no sense whatsoever.  We needed a FS (with Dix still on the board) and we picked this idiot?  Cooks or Dix there was the obvious choice.  Then Jace Amaro over Allen Robinson, Moncrief?  Amaro can't block much at all, so basically he's a WR in a TE's body, so why would we pick him over Robinson or Moncrief?

I still don't get how someone rated Amaro over Robinson.  Amaro ran a 4.6 at his pro day, while Robinson ran a 4.47.  Robinson's vertical, 3 cone, broad jump, shuttle, everything blows him away.  I get the curve for TE's if they can block at all because that's a different dimension.  However, ones that can't block are just glorified receivers.  I can understand someone like Evan Engram going high because he's a glorified receiver, but at least he can run fast and is much more mobile than some guy like Amaro.  Idzik had the same fascination with David Nelson.  Let's put a big slow guy out there that any LB on the opposing team can out run.  

Idzik failed that year at an incredible pace.  He picked Milliner and that sucked because of injuries.  But I can't blame him for that because the pick made sense, we had a need, and he was a top rated corner and athlete.  I can't blame him for not seeing the injury history.  However, his 2014 draft might have been one of the worst performances ever by a GM.  He did everything right in adding the picks and then got schooled.  

Dix/Robinson or Cooks/Robinson and Idzik is still the GM, IMO.  

Bridgewater probably will have a Carson Palmer like recovery, will play, but look bad for a few years, and then maybe have a few good seasons in him if he can navigate the bad years the right way professionally.  I'd steer clear of him, he won't thrive in a toxic situation IMO.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Bridgewater probably will have a Carson Palmer like recovery, will play, but look bad for a few years, and then maybe have a few good seasons in him if he can navigate the bad years the right way professionally.  I'd steer clear of him, he won't thrive in a toxic situation IMO.

If he hits free agency, he could easily be in a position where he needs to sign a show me deal. If that's the case, he won't choose this team to try to display his abilities. 

Also how exactly are we scoring points for these 5-6 wins? Is the secondary and pass rush going to be good enough to win games 13-6?  That being said I agree with Slats, the NYJ's at this point and time would be an odd choice for a QB to revitalize their career. Pretty much got the rep of being much the opposite of that. 

If the Jets are out of the race for the big 2-3 QB's next year they should trade the farm to get back in the race

Not sure they would need to trade for Bridgewater after this year since he should be at the end of his rookie deal (same as "slugger") - this was the year to take a shot instead of mclown, now Bridgewater as a free agent could be interesting to help the young QB develop, doubt the Vikings can afford to tag him

If Bridgewater comes back in any way shape or form the Vikes don't deal him. Especially if they can finagle his contract to get another year out of it. No team will trade a QB in this league unless its for a windfall of picks, players or both. Even if they are of average talent this holds true. The Jets will not be acquiring a QB via trade unless they trade draft picks in this 2018 savior draft everyone is talking about. If Mac is still the GM come draft time in 2018 one of two things will happen. Hack "leads" the Jets to 6-8 wins and MAC DOES NOT DRAFT A QB IN THE FIRST ROUND IF AT ALL or Hack stinks up the joint and Mac signs a FA QB. I highly doubt the man will draft a guy to mature into a starter because of the win right now bullsh*t we are bound to hear. I could see him be used as leverage by Counsins to drive up the price for the team he really wants to go to. I then believe he will overpay for a overrated guy and we will be in the same boat once again because of shortsighted leadership. Mac must go if the Jets want to truly rebuild. All that cap space next year has Mac licking his chops and is burning a hole in his pocket. Take it to the bank people.

6 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

What gets to me the most is both Bridgewater and Carr was available. But because we had The Great Geno Smith, we passed on both for Calvin Pryor.

John Idzik, The GM that made Tanny look like Ozzie Newsome.

And also Garapolo. ?

I say if the price is right go for it.  Bridgewater is much better than our two longshots.  Even if the Jets like Hackenberg, having a young, but experienced QB like Bridgewater on this team would make us much more solid at the position for years to come.  Next year however we'll have a shot at either Bridgewater, or Bradford in free agency so we can do it then, we have plenty of resources.

I love Darnold, but we can sign Bridgewater and still draft Darnold.  Hackenberg is cheap and still playing out a rookie contract.  Also if we end up in a situation where we feel good about Bridgewater and Hackenberg being our 1 and 2, imagine what we could get for a pick where one of the top 3 QBs is still available.

I vote for having Bridgewater, Hackenberg and Darnold being our QB squad next year.  Imagine the possibilities!

3 hours ago, thadude said:

He's done and was just okay to begin with before the injury

Bridgewater arm is very weak, healthy would have trouble  throwing in the MetLife stadium wind.  Now coming off a major injury of his legs .  I don't know if the guys a good fit for the Jets.

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

There's nothing wrong with bringing Teddy in as well as drafting a top 10 QB... 

At this point in time, I feel safer/better/sure of Luke Falk than the rest of them. But the options are many and they're all good. If this team sniffs success, picks around #8-12 and is looking at Jackson, Falk, Allen etc, then absolutely we can take a swing at Teddy. I really don't think it cost that much, his future is a total dice roll. 

18 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Bridgewater arm is very weak, healthy would have trouble  throwing in the MetLife stadium wind.  Now coming off a major injury of his legs .  I don't know if the guys a good fit for the Jets.

I don't get how Bridgewater is considered "good" even before the injury.  He was a barely above average passer whose game relied on his legs and now he doesn't have that

I have nothing against the guy I even defended him before the 2014 draft when he had a bad workout throwing without gloves--well if he can use gloves in the games who cares I said

35 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Why do we always covet broken players? 

For me it's not necessarily Bridgewater, but he concept of signing a good QB and drafting one as well.  If it's Bridgewater, or Cousins, or someone else I leave that to the Macc to decide.   All I know is if we do that we'll be in a lot better shape next year as opposed to this year. 

30 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

For me it's not necessarily Bridgewater, but he concept of signing a good QB and drafting one as well.  If it's Bridgewater, or Cousins, or someone else I leave that to the Macc to decide.   All I know is if we do that we'll be in a lot better shape next year as opposed to this year. 

If we sign Bridgewater? Sorry, respectfully disagree. One hit away from square one ...

56 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

so now we are happy with settling for the mediocrity of Teddy Bridgewater ? Not sure what the hype was but  14 TD's and 12 Ints and 14 TD's and 9 ints is not very exciting to me.

I am very surprised those are his numbers.  I dont follow the Vikings but it seemed like they found their franchise QB before his injury.

On 7/15/2017 at 3:58 AM, Mogglez said:

Well it gets a little tricky here because word out of Minnesota is that the Vikings may not clear him for play until AFTER Week 7, which to my understanding, will toll his contract and give the Vikings one more year of control in 2018

(source: https://www.dailynorseman.com/platform/amp/2017/5/3/15537330/more-teddy-bridgewater-option-clarification).  

Now what happens there I can't totally answer because I'm sure Teddy will fight it and it could get messy, but my guess is that, given the nature of the injury, the league will have to side with the Vikings.  That's the information I'm rolling with for this thread so that's why I mentioned offering a conditional pick.

Good find.  The plot thickens.  If Bridgewater is forced to be under contract to the Vikes in 2019, he won't be happy.  This should be fun to watch.  IMO he'll be traded if that's the plan

Archived