Panthers GM Gettleman Fired

C Mart

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I see. So instead of focusing on the fact that i pointed out the fact that there is an overwhelming and blatant circle-jerk on this forum that drives just about any decent discussion into the same people trolling the forum and derailing any conversation, you completely miss my point and fixate on the fact I used a word synonymous with "cum bath" metaphorically.

Pathetic.

I thought your verbiage was appropriate #nohomo

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He built a 15-1 team that went to the Super Bowl. If you think this conversation needs to continue beyond that, you are in legitimate need of professional help.
He also drafted Funchess in the 2nd, not the 1st, which is notable only in that you of all people making "spent a 2 on a sh*tty Big Ten receiver" a criterion for terrible GMing is an absolute ******* lollercoaster. 

He did not do that in the same division as the Patriots.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He built a 15-1 team that went to the Super Bowl. If you think this conversation needs to continue beyond that, you are in legitimate need of professional help.
He also drafted Funchess in the 2nd, not the 1st, which is notable only in that you of all people making "spent a 2 on a sh*tty Big Ten receiver" a criterion for terrible GMing is an absolute ******* lollercoaster. 

He did not do that in the same division as the Patriots.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Hurney was Panthers previous fired GM and replaced by Gettleman

Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero)

7/18/17, 3:08 PM

#Panthers owner Jerry Richardson and Marty Hurney meeting today, league source said. If all goes well, he's expected to be named interim GM.

17 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Man, you have to admit, there is a high number of jerkoffs on this and all Jet boards who take far to much pleasure in shltting on their team, management, coaches, owner etc.  Have no idea when this nonsense started. It it's replaced the normal fandom you get everywhere else.  It's more an accurate statement than a homo-erotic fantasy. 

I resent that. My animosity is just as much homoerotic as it is accurate.

4 hours ago, C Mart said:

Hurney was Panthers previous fired GM and replaced by Gettleman

Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero)

7/18/17, 3:08 PM

#Panthers owner Jerry Richardson and Marty Hurney meeting today, league source said. If all goes well, he's expected to be named interim GM.

Marty Hurney stated that Geno and Dee Milner were good picks....   there's that. 

He also is emphatic that the pats cheated in the SB over the Panthers.  Very emphatic. 

22 hours ago, Mogglez said:

So weird. Gettleman does good with easy schedule and franchise QB, then does bad with hard schedule....didn't deserve to be fired...Should immediately be sucked off by Woody and offered a job.

Mac, with an easy schedule and decent, not franchise QB play, does well...but one bad year with human feces at QB and a hard schedule deserves to be burned alive at the stake like a witch.  

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Excuse me but which GM got to a Super Bowl and which GM hasn't even made a playoff?

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

in the end , I wonder how many close friends he had.  I admire him as a great innovator, the Thomas Edison of our generation yet he denied his child for many years, split with all significant business partners and possibly died a lonely man.  Yet... heavy is the head that wears the crown. 

Thomas Edison? Not quite. 

There is a backstory to this story that we will never know.

Many of us feel like the Jets are a second class organization.  At this point I think they are.  But i just read an article about the Redskins and "Kurt" Cousins-yes, the team President referred to him as Kurt and not Kirk in a taped interview.  And Cousins will leave anyway eventually, although the Skins do have the transition tag next year.

But as they say in the Mediterrenean, the Fish Rots from the Head First.   Dan Snyder is a bad guy.   His team will bumble.  Terry Pegula, the people who own the 49ers, Kronke from the Rams, the Chargers people-all difficult people who fancy themselves as large small business owners and make many flawed decisions and hire and manipulate flawed people.  Unfortunately, Woody is in that camp.

Jerry Richardson has had a good reputation with the Panthers.  Something is going on there.  Same thing with the Hunts in KC and Dorsey. 

2 hours ago, thadude said:

Excuse me but which GM got to a Super Bowl and which GM hasn't even made a playoff?

How many rings do both of them have as GMs? How did his choices as GM workout after Cam Newton couldn't put together a remarkable/insane MVP season, they faced a real schedule, and he got rid of their all pro Corner for absolutely nothing, despite (and this bears repeating) having control over him for at least 2 more years?

Were you also aware this moron wanted to cut bait with Thomas Davis Sr., one of the life bloods of that defense and a player that most Panthers fans have said that they would have wanted his head if he had been cut? A guy who has publicly celebrated this firing and is a CURRENT player, destroying the narrative that it's only disgruntled former players who are happy?  

"DAMN GOOD GM" - JN's finest

On 7/18/2017 at 0:43 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

What kind of scumbag of a GM lets go of a 32 year-old RB with a $6.3m cap number, who missed 10 games the prior season, when they already have a 28 year-old starting RB with an $8.3m cap number (plus a young running QB)? 

That same RB would go on to have 900 yards and 11 TDs the following season in relief of one of the best RB's in the league while Jonathan Stewart required 42 more carries to hit similar yardage with less TDs, couldn't stay healthy (a constant in his career), and Gettleman has been scrambling for this RBs replacement since letting him go by trotting out 4 of his own picks and watching each fail.  Oh, and he supposedly treated this former face of the franchise like sh*t on his way out.  In fact, he was treated so badly, that he stated that would never retire a Panther as long as he was the GM was in charge, echoing the sentiment of his fellow released teammates who were held in the same regard.

It's strange, this place was singing a very different tune when we cut bait with our overpriced & "loyal" veterans.  Only then was the GM actually a bad guy and not defended to the high heavens.  At least that's what I was told when I said that I was actually happy about trimming the fat.  I was told Mac was a mean man and our guys deserved better.

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

That same RB would go on to have 900 yards and 11 TDs the following season in relief of one of the best RB's in the league while Jonathan Stewart required 42 more carries to hit similar yardage with less TDs, couldn't stay healthy (a constant in his career), and Gettleman has been scrambling for this RBs replacement since letting him go by trotting out 4 of his own picks and watching each fail.  Oh, and he supposedly treated this former face of the franchise like sh*t on his way out.  In fact, he was treated so badly, that he stated that would never retire a Panther as long as he was the GM was in charge, echoing the sentiment of his fellow released teammates who were held in the same regard.

It's strange, this place was singing a very different tune when we cut bait with our overpriced & "loyal" veterans.  Only then was the GM actually a bad guy and not defended to the high heavens.  At least that's what I was told when I said that I was actually happy about trimming the fat.  I was told Mac was a mean man and our guys deserved better.

I assume you think you'd be the genius GM who'd have kept this unhappy, 32 year-old, and recently oft-injured Williams given all that, Instead, you'd ruin what ended up being successful and probably miss the playoffs or exit earlier. Seems to have worked out the way they did it, as Carolina went to the SB that year, in no small part behind Stewart's legs. 

Pittsburgh signed Williams to a $2m backup salary. He'd already taken one pay cut in Carolina to make up for the awful contract they gave him. He was also unhappy because he wasn't getting enough touches as it was, and Carolina wanted to pass the ball more, which would have limited his carries even further. He was also personally bitter with his whole team because none showed up his mother's funeral, opting to text him instead, indicating perhaps nobody on the team felt compelled to attend out of any friendship with Williams. In his eyes, though, that sub-lowlife Greg Hardy can never do wrong because he attended a funeral. This year as a 34 year old FA he announced 4 teams he refused to play for. This is DeAngelo Williams.

While Stewart was helping his team reach the SB, Williams missed the entire playoffs, sustaining yet another season-ending injury, when his team needed him most. Pittsburgh lost a close divisional game after miraculously escaping the WC round. He'd get injured again in 2016, making it 3 years in a row. Odd you'd use injuries as the reason to tout an older Williams over Stewart, as he perfectly illustrates why older RBs are less reliable even if some can still do well in spurts.

10 hours ago, thadude said:

Which GM took over a team with a franchise QB and a top notch defense?  Which GM had less to do?  

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

How many rings do both of them have as GMs? How did his choices as GM workout after Cam Newton couldn't put together a remarkable/insane MVP season, they faced a real schedule, and he got rid of their all pro Corner for absolutely nothing, despite (and this bears repeating) having control over him for at least 2 more years?

Were you also aware this moron wanted to cut bait with Thomas Davis Sr., one of the life bloods of that defense and a player that most Panthers fans have said that they would have wanted his head if he had been cut? A guy who has publicly celebrated this firing and is a CURRENT player, destroying the narrative that it's only disgruntled former players who are happy?  

Jim Harbaugh doesn't have an NFL ring either I guess Mac is better than him too

Mac tried marketing Decker as trade bait 5 minutes after publicly announcing he was cutting him.  That itself is a fireable offense and way worse than anything Gettleman ever did

11 hours ago, thadude said:

Cool can Idzik use that same excuse?

Im not getting your point.  What does Idzik have to do with anything, other than for you to change subjects?  Idzik was a fool who's been exposed as someone who doesn't understand personnel, the draft etc.  

Macc drafts better and is better in every way other than to the whiney group of fans who would complain about any pick taken by any GM under contract.  The fans who in year two wanted their GM fired.  Like you.

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

They had David Harris too?

16 hours ago, Mogglez said:

he got rid of their all pro Corner for absolutely nothing, despite (and this bears repeating) having control over him for at least 2 more years?

What two years?  They rescinded the franchise tag.  It isn't like they cut him under contract or he was an RFA.  What are you talking about? Please explain.

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

What two years?  They rescinded the franchise tag.  It isn't like they cut him under contract or he was an RFA.  What are you talking about? Please explain.

Rescinding the franchise tag and letting the player go for absolutely nothing would be the stupid move were talking about here.  Nothing really to explain.  The tag gave them control.  Rescinding it was moronic.

9 hours ago, thadude said:

Mac tried marketing Decker as trade bait 5 minutes after publicly announcing he was cutting him.  That itself is a fireable offense and way worse than anything Gettleman ever did

Jim Harbaugh wasn't the GM in SF you buffoon.  The whole reason him and ownership parted ways is because he wanted total control over Trent Baalke and they didn't want to give it to him.  Do you ever have a single clue about anything you're talking about?

Nobody was taking Decker whether Mac opened his mouth because his contract and injury history was too large (relative to his circumstances).  The only offers we were going to get for him were from teams that didn't want to/felt they couldn't bid for him when we released him, that's why it was made public.

Id say getting rid of a vital piece to your super bowl caliber defense for absolutely nothing, especially when it didn't have to be that way, is pretty f*cking stupid.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Jim Harbaugh wasn't the GM in SF you buffoon.  The whole reason him and ownership parted ways is because he wanted total control over Trent Baalke and they didn't want to give it to him.  Do you ever have a single clue about anything you're talking about?

Nobody was taking Decker whether Mac opened his mouth because his contract and injury history was too large (relative to his circumstances).  The only offers we were going to get for him were from teams that didn't want to/felt they couldn't bid for him when we released him, that's why it was made public.

Id say getting rid of a vital piece to your super bowl caliber defense for absolutely nothing, especially when it didn't have to be that way, is pretty f*cking stupid.

No, since he wasn't the Jets GM it was genius, that's why the Jets should hire him. Only if he was the Jets GM would it be pretty f*cking stupid.

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Rescinding the franchise tag and letting the player go for absolutely nothing would be the stupid move were talking about here.  Nothing really to explain.  The tag gave them control.  Rescinding it was moronic.

How about you answer my question?  There is plenty to explain.  You said (see below) that he had control over Norman (unless that had some other all pro CB) for at least 2 more years.  He didn't.  If you think he did, please explain how.  He rescinded the tag because he didn't want to pay a CB $14M for a season.  Whether that was "moronic" or not is up for debate.  There are teams that feel that paying that much for a CB is crazy, including Seattle who didn't even give that much to Sherman.  

Even if you count using the tag as "having control" I don't see how it was for "at least 2 more years." If you were talking about tagging him repeatedly, I have news for you, every team has control over every player, every year, but that control often includes spending amounts more than you think a player is worth.  They got a top 100 comp pick this year for Norman, and I actually think they were quite satisfied with Bradberry.

On 7/19/2017 at 0:24 AM, Mogglez said:

he got rid of their all pro Corner for absolutely nothing, despite (and this bears repeating) having control over him for at least 2 more years?

On July 19, 2017 at 8:28 PM, Mogglez said:

Gettleman knows how to evaluate players.  Mac doesnt

And the whining about him having Cam Newtin -- how many Super Bowls have Andrew Luck and Phillip Rivers been to?

8 hours ago, thadude said:

Gettleman knows how to evaluate players.  Mac doesnt

And the whining about him having Cam Newtin -- how many Super Bowls have Andrew Luck and Phillip Rivers been to?

Oh yeah, totally.  That's why the offense is just as bad as the day he took over (worse than when he took over in terms of talent actually.  Cam's growth has hidden a lot of their deficiencies), and their defense has been. Just grrrrrreeeeeaaaaaattttt.  He killed it!

I have zero clue what you're talking about regarding Newton seeing as I never bashed him you dunce.  My point was that Gettleman had the luxury of working with a bona fide franchise QB from the day he walked in and our GM, along with plenty others, haven't and he STILL managed to f*ck up extraordinarily worse than the majority of the guys that don't have that search on their to-do lists. 

Nitpicking Luck and Rivers is just the type of stupidity I've come to expect from your wonderfully constructed posts though, so at least you have that as a consistent thing for yourself.

On 7/19/2017 at 0:04 PM, thadude said:

Here we go again, making things up.

Find, copy and paste any direct quote from Macc announcing he was going to cut Decker.

Whats this the 10th or so time youve posted nonsense and will completely ignore a request for factual proof of what youre peddling

On 7/20/2017 at 9:02 AM, #27TheDominator said:

How about you answer my question?  There is plenty to explain.  You said (see below) that he had control over Norman (unless that had some other all pro CB) for at least 2 more years.  He didn't.  If you think he did, please explain how.  He rescinded the tag because he didn't want to pay a CB $14M for a season.  Whether that was "moronic" or not is up for debate.  There are teams that feel that paying that much for a CB is crazy, including Seattle who didn't even give that much to Sherman.  

Even if you count using the tag as "having control" I don't see how it was for "at least 2 more years." If you were talking about tagging him repeatedly, I have news for you, every team has control over every player, every year, but that control often includes spending amounts more than you think a player is worth.  They got a top 100 comp pick this year for Norman, and I actually think they were quite satisfied with Bradberry.

So to clarify, he had control but decided it would cost too much so he relinquished control and that translates to he didnt have control?

lol

On 7/20/2017 at 9:02 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Again, there's nothing to explain.  Especially when we fundamentally disagree with the control aspect.  Yes I was talking about a consecutive tag.  The point of that is to give the team a certain level of control for a high end player and Gettleman f*cked up big time.  The fact that he suddenly decided that the market value for high end cornerbacks was too steep for him to pay via the tag AFTER he had already decided to tag Norman made him look absolutely stupid.  The decision to let him walk with all the control/leverage they had was the cherry on top of the sh*t sundae Gettleman made.  With two more seasons of being tagged looming, Norman had no options other than sign the tag and hope for a LTD a trade.   That or, you know, holdout and really f' himself over.  The ball was in Carolinas court and their "DAMN GOOD GM" chucked it out of bounds.  

You can disagree with the 14 mil per year argument, but that's unfortunately the going rate for CBs of that caliber.  If the team didn't want to give him a hefty long term contract with those figures in play, they should have traded him right after tagging him.  There is zero chance that they wouldn't have gotten better than a lousy comp pick.  Gettleman played this like an idiot, and now he's reaping in the consequences.  

I gotta say, it's pretty mind blowing that the only place I can find people defending the Norman situation is a New York Jets message board.  Panthers fans have no excuses for it and are still miffed about how it all went down, but Jets fans are already chock full of excuses for the guy.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Here we go again, making things up.

Find, copy and paste any direct quote from Macc announcing he was going to cut Decker.

Whats this the 10th or so time youve posted nonsense and will completely ignore a request for factual proof of what youre peddling

Are you in this much denial over everything the man does or doesn't do? It was all over the place. The whole country knew. Here's one link:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-cut-veteran-lb-david-harris-cost-cutting-move-article-1.3225979

“If we can’t facilitate a trade,” Maccagnan said, “we will move on from Eric.” 

Good Lord. It's not even like most people are even pissed that we cut him. But to deny this obvious - not to mention recent - history is just silliness.

And yes, it is another example of Amateur Hour in the GM's office to announce we're cutting someone if we can't get someone to offer us anything in trade. Even if it's the worst-kept secret, who freaking announces it so other GMs will stay away because trading something - anything  - will result in double the backlash if the player doesn't pan out.

Archived