Positional Outlook: Safety

JetNation

Players on the Roster

Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Rontez Miles, Doug Middleton, Shamarko Thomas, Ronald Martin

“Major” Losses

Marcus Gilchrist and Calvin Pryor. Cutting Gilchrist made plenty of sense when considering the severity of his injury and the cap space the Jets saved so this isn’t really a major loss, but rather a smart loss. That being said, Gilchrist may not have been a great player, but he was good for a few interceptions each season and will be missed early on while the rookies are learning. Pryor is a bigger loss being that the Jets spent a 1st round selection on him just a few seasons ago. However, he vastly underperformed in a season where he was supposed to break out and a change of scenery was needed for him. These losses will be felt early, but shouldn’t really have any impact on the future of this team.

Key Additions

Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye. The Jets spent their 1st AND 2nd round picks on safeties in the 2017 draft and they are both expected to be key contributors immediately. Both of these kids can tackle and cover and they seem to be interchangeable between free safety and strong safety. This combination should be the Jets strong suit for years to come!

Player to Watch

This one is easy. All eyes are going to be on the Jets 1st round selection, #33, Jamal Adams. This kid seems to have it all: ability to cover, ability to tackle, ability to knock people out, and the ability to lead a defense. Sure, there will be bumps in the road being that he is a rookie and a young team, but with his passion and work ethic he should blossom into a stud in no time. Having Adams in the secondary gives the Jets a budding superstar in the back layer of the defense with Leonard Williams up front and Darron Lee in the middle. These three will grow together and the future of the Jets defense looks bright!

Conclusion

The safety position is extremely inexperienced but may be the most exciting position on the team this year. Obviously, Adams and Maye are the two guys to watch, but Rontez Miles will make this team and continue to be a solid backup. The other safety spot will be between Middleton, Thomas, and Martin, all of which have potential to succeed in this league. All in all, there will be growing pains, but in a few years time the safety position will be one of the Jets best.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
pAXzb_a1EYk

Click here to read the full story...

I'd be surprised if 3-4 years from now that we're referring to Maye as a good coverage safety.  He certainly wasnt in college.  And while I think Adams has range, he too, I'd be surprised is known for his ability in coverage as opposed to just a solid overall Safety.  I hope I'm wrong but I really dont see that being the case.

It should be interesting to see how Miles is treated this offseason.  For the past 2 years, IMO he was clearly outshining Pryor when given the opportunity.  Todd just really never gave him the opportunity.  He's gamer, he plays like his hair is on fire and is all over the field when given the chance.  Maye and Miles remind me a lot of each other, to be honest. You'd think he'd have a leg up being it's his 3rd year in the system.   Bowles preaches open competition even though we know that's not actually the case.  I wonder if the rookies get the nod just because but Miles once again earned it and gets snubbed due to draft status.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I'd be surprised if 3-4 years from now that we're referring to Maye as a good coverage safety.  He certainly wasnt in college.  And while I think Adams has range, he too, I'd be surprised is known for his ability in coverage as opposed to just a solid overall Safety.  I hope I'm wrong but I really dont see that being the case.

It should be interesting to see how Miles is treated this offseason.  For the past 2 years, IMO he was clearly outshining Pryor when given the opportunity.  Todd just really never gave him the opportunity.  He's gamer, he plays like his hair is on fire and is all over the field when given the chance.  Maye and Miles remind me a lot of each other, to be honest. You'd think he'd have a leg up being it's his 3rd year in the system.   Bowles preaches open competition even though we know that's not actually the case.  I wonder if the rookies get the nod just because but Miles once again earned it and gets snubbed due to draft status.

Agreed this was my biggest problem with the double barreled Safety picks both are similar players, I would have been less puzzled about the strategy if the 2nd round pick was touted as a true CF Ball Hawk Safety, but again the Jets drafted towards a specific HC's wants in the interchangeable Safety which might be not what the next HC will want possibly as soon as next season.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Agreed this was my biggest problem with the double barreled Safety picks both are similar players, I would have been less puzzled about the strategy if the 2nd round pick was touted as a true CF Ball Hawk Safety, but again the Jets drafted towards a specific HC's wants in the interchangeable Safety which might be not what the next HC will want possibly as soon as next season.

The Redskins used two picks on QBs in the same year and look how it's turned out for them!

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The Redskins used two picks on QBs in the same year and look how it's turned out for them!

BTW, this is exactly what is wrong with drafting two safeties.  You draft QBs because QB is the most valuable position. Your aim is to have extra QBs, not be stacked at safety. 

All in on these two. Right minds, right mindset, right defense, right time- they might have a few rookie lapses here or there but I believe they'll be our starting safeties for years to come. 

Nobody will complain about the double dip if they're as advertised, or at least nobody should. I'm fine with the team's depth at this position too. 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, it'll be excused because, you know, the draft is a crapshoot anyway.

And the Jets can never use a roll of the dice on an offensive skill position player.Scoring points is overrated. These safeties are gonna hold the Pats and Tom Brady under 14 poin...yeah, not gonna happen. 

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

BTW, this is exactly what is wrong with drafting two safeties.  You draft QBs because QB is the most valuable position. Your aim is to have extra QBs, not be stacked at safety. 

This franchise inexplicably overvalues defense each and every draft day. 

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Unless you believe in drafting the best available player and there isnt a QB you think is worth a damn at 6.  Then you dont take an edge rusher who is the 12 best player etc.

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, it'll be excused because, you know, the draft is a crapshoot anyway.

My favorite is that the draft is a crapshoot but also there is a clear cut and definitive best player available at each and every pick.

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Any proof that they didnt have him as the BPA at that spot?  Who should we have taken at 39, I have no idea if there was a better option.  

Proof?  Fine.  I will wait 3 years and show you my proof.  Then you can tell me #bestpickatthetime

The ******* guy is a safety.  We just took a ******* safety.  Was he their BAP?  He'd better ******* well have been and they'd better have been right.  The main defense that they have is that a couple of the obvious picks after him were Mixon and Cook and it is possible they were off our board for character reasons.  I am a big fan of Samuel (biased for the Dutchman) and like Bowser athletically.  Ryan Anderson also went in the next 10 picks.  

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Proof?  Fine.  I will wait 3 years and show you my proof.  Then you can tell me #bestpickatthetime

The ******* guy is a safety.  We just took a ******* safety.  Was he their BAP?  He'd better ******* well have been and they'd better have been right.  The main defense that they have is that a couple of the obvious picks after him were Mixon and Cook and it is possible they were off our board for character reasons.  I am a big fan of Samuel (biased for the Dutchman) and like Bowser athletically.  Ryan Anderson also went in the next 10 picks.  

Those other guys from Florida, that play a premium position which is a desperate need for the Jets, who were taken in the 2nd round....are really ******* good, like the reason the Gators D was so dominate the past few years type of good.  I was legit jaw dropped that Maye went before them besides already jaw dropped that the Jets drafted back to back safeties who were pretty much identical to what they already had on the roster sans Leaders of Men.  

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nothing will change in 3 years.  If they had him as the BAP, nothing changes over time.  He might not turn out to be the BAP but thats not the same as how they had then rated.  I have no clue and just hope it works out.  Who you had rated higher, or which shady payer was still available has nothing to do with it.  They werent drafting a Mixon, no matte how many fans are willing to overlook his past

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Nothing will change in 3 years.  If they had him as the BAP, nothing changes over time.  He might not turn out to be the BAP but thats not the same as how they had then rated.  I have no clue and just hope it works out.  Who you had rated higher, or which shady payer was still available has nothing to do with it.  They werent drafting a Mixon, no matte how many fans are willing to overlook his past

I thought I had to give 3 years to evaluate a draft?  Now I don't even do that?  I just accept this was their BAP, so that makes it alright?  Even if it is another ******* safety?  WTF?

BTW, I said that about Mixon and Cook, but keep on keeping on... 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I thought I had to give 3 years to evaluate a draft?  Now I don't even do that?  I just accept this was their BAP, so that makes it alright?  Even if it is another ******* safety?  WTF?

heads I win, tails you lose

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How did we get to evaluating the draft?  All i said is he might have been Maccs BAP.  If it doesnt work out it doesnt change that fact. 

17 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

All in on these two. Right minds, right mindset, right defense, right time- they might have a few rookie lapses here or there but I believe they'll be our starting safeties for years to come. 

Nobody will complain about the double dip if they're as advertised, or at least nobody should. I'm fine with the team's depth at this position too. 

They will if the QBs we ignored turn into studs, and rightfully so.

Remember the last three seasons when we had the best defensive line in the league but went 19-29 with no playoff appearances because having the best defensive line in the league means ****-all  if you're mediocre-to-non-competitive at the positions that matter? 

I'm not bringing this up for any reason, just kinda blue-skying here

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How did we get to evaluating the draft?  All i said is he might have been Maccs BAP.  If it doesnt work out it doesnt change that fact. 

What the **** are we doing?  Of course we are evaluating the draft.  Does anybody give a flying **** that a guy takes his BAP if he can't properly evaluate who is the best player available?  Some of us care about positional value too, and apparently more than our general manager. 

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

What about at #39?

I think the question is do both safeties compliment each other games, or do they offer the same thing.   

If both are good fit  with each other games , than I can't  see any fan having a problem with the selection.( was a very deep safety draft this year).  Not like reaching for a position that wasn't very deep.( but was a need).  

51 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What the **** are we doing?  Of course we are evaluating the draft.  Does anybody give a flying **** that a guy takes his BAP if he can't properly evaluate who is the best player available?  Some of us care about positional value too, and apparently more than our general manager. 

I have no idea why youre arguing.  I made a simple statement, if he felt that a S was the BAP and hes a BAP kind of guy thats why he drafted a S.  Youre bringing 3 year evaluations and thats a separate topic.  I get it.  But youre just arguing for no reason

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I have no idea why youre arguing.  I made a simple statement, if he felt that a S was the BAP and hes a BAP kind of guy thats why he drafted a S.  Youre bringing 3 year evaluations and thats a separate topic.  I get it.  But youre just arguing for no reason

No reason?  I'm bored.  Isn't that enough?

how is losing gilchrist and pryor major losses?  both of them were marginal at best and both had regressed over the past season.  maybe adams and maye along with miles and middleton are as yet untested but can they be a whole lot worse?  i don't think so.

Archived