Ranking Jets' all-time best (and worst) head coaches ~ ~ ~

kelly

i'd put michaels and mangini above rex.  rex's last 4 seasons were enough to see that he was a bad coach.  coslet?  what a puke.  he just had to have boomer as his qb because nobody else knew his system.  what a joke.  boomer was so washed up.  i'm not sure if carroll ever got a decent chance with the jets.  parcells?  what can you say.  he brought the team from worst to first in two seasons.  and the 99 coaching effort was superb.  how he got to an 8-8record with mirer and lucas at qb is amazing. 

My personal list:

1. Ewbank

2. Walt Michaels

3. Bill Parcells

4.  Herm Edwards

5.  Rex Ryan

6.  Mangini

7.  Al Groh

8.  Pete Carroll

After these 8 there is an embarrassment of riches with Kotite being the worst by far!!  I did not know or see the sixties HCs so in reality I am not in a position to judge them..

As far as the worst, as the article alluded to Kotite has been picked the worst HC in any sport on several occasions, now that is saying something.

Parcells is probably Top 5, largely cause rest suck so much, but no one has had more long term negative impact than him on the Jets. Woody has been all in on much of the crap that Parcells used to spew and it has shaped this franchise for the last 20 years, leading to a stream of crappy defensive coaches all with most of the same weaknesses, too much HC influence on drafting and a ludicrous internal structure that neuters the GM, not to mention chasing an overall team philosophy that has not really worked in  a decade or more.

On 7/25/2017 at 0:08 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Herm is the 4th best coach in team history?!    This has to be one of the most embarrassing HC lists in all of sports.

Observations:

It is one hell of a bad list.  Michaels was good. Parcells was too.  Rex was polarizing so there will never be agreement on him.  The worst was Kotite. I hated walton who never made the most of good teams when he had the chance.  After reading Nose-to-Nose, it's clear that the players, or at least the ones who were close to Klecko and Fields didn't like him or trust him.  One thing is for sure.  We went way too long on some of them.  Also, we've had a fair number of one-and-done 1 year coaches.  That doesn't seem normal.

I think this needs to be separated into best pure coach and best job as coach of the Jets.  Parcells is the best HC we have ever had but he wasn't here long enough where he;d be our best HC.  

1. Weeb. obviously b/c he won only SB and did it w/ INT machine at QB:D

2. Rex

3. parcells

4. Michaels

5. Herm

6. Walton

7. Mangini

8. Coslet

9. Groh

10.  Carroll

Michaels should be #2 or #3 behind Weeb and Parcells.

He basically did the same thing Parcells did. Took over a disgrace of a football team and got them to within a game of the Super Bowl. Now while Parcells brought in alot "His guys", Michaels helped build his teams through the draft. (Klecko, Gastineau, Lyons, McNeil, Walker, etc) If he had been able to lay off the booze maybe the Jets never see a "Joe Walton era".

I liked Rex (buffoon and all) and hate Parcells, but I have to give the nod to Parcells and Michaels over Rex.  They both left the team looking like it would be in good shape and feeling that "if they'd only stayed..."   Rex?  Not so much.  Herm is behind all of them because despite his teams general mid-level success, you could never really argue they were the best team in the league.  Michaels, Parcells and Rex had seasons where the Jets were as good as any team in the NFL.  Mangini beat the Titans?  My hero, the other three had entire seasons like that. 

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I liked Rex (buffoon and all) and hate Parcells, but I have to give the nod to Parcells and Michaels over Rex.  They both left the team looking like it would be in good shape and feeling that "if they'd only stayed..."   Rex?  Not so much.  Herm is behind all of them because despite his teams general mid-level success, you could never really argue they were the best team in the league.  Michaels, Parcells and Rex had seasons where the Jets were as good as any team in the NFL.  Mangini beat the Titans?  My hero, the other three had entire seasons like that. 

Good post

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Unfortunately we're not the Steelers (though they've only had 3, of course).

3 since 1969, before that they were a pathetic franchise and had a ton of coaches.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

the issue w/ BP is in 4 years he was involved w/ us we made the playoffs one time and he left us w/ a bad cap situation which we got lucky w/ expansion draft in 2002 or we would have gone through a major rebuild.  Parcells also cost us Belichick and either Manning or Brady.  I can't put his 1 great season over Rex's 1 1/2.

Herm and rex were unfortunate to be here during Brady dynasty or we could have had easier  path to success.

7 hours ago, nyjunc said:

3 since 1969, before that they were a pathetic franchise and had a ton of coaches.

the issue w/ BP is in 4 years he was involved w/ us we made the playoffs one time and he left us w/ a bad cap situation which we got lucky w/ expansion draft in 2002 or we would have gone through a major rebuild.  Parcells also cost us Belichick and either Manning or Brady.  I can't put his 1 great season over Rex's 1 1/2.

Herm and rex were unfortunate to be here during Brady dynasty or we could have had easier  path to success.

It's amazing to me how Jet fans treat BP.  He took us to the absolute brink of winning the Superbowl (up 10-0 in the 2nd half of the AFC title game and we WOULD'VE beaten the Falcons that year had we made it).  When he resigned he put Bill Belichick in place.  When Belichick resigned, we had 4 #1 picks.  Yet people bitch about our cap situation?!

16 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's amazing to me how Jet fans treat BP.  He took us to the absolute brink of winning the Superbowl (up 10-0 in the 2nd half of the AFC title game and we WOULD'VE beaten the Falcons that year had we made it).  When he resigned he put Bill Belichick in place.  When Belichick resigned, we had 4 #1 picks.  Yet people bitch about our cap situation?!

I will always appreciate BP for turning us around into a competent franchise BUT he did cost us Belichick and he definitely cost us Peyton and likely Brady(if BB is still here Brady likely would be here).  we were this close to being the pats dynasty and the reason we are not is BP.

That ******* team collapsed in Denver.  Rolled up in a ball and died.  Spit up a game that was right there.  I'm supposed to commend him for this?  Just like Rex and Walt Michaels, he did not complete the job.  He also was a piece of sh*t that paid his cronies and ran off to play on his boat until he could fleece some other franchise.  Parcells is a great team builder and excellent coach, but he is not the best human being and did not exactly leave us in a golden situation.

It's pathological. The Jets fans who hate Parcells hate him because he abandoned them, not for anything he did here. He's the dad who went out for cigarettes and never came home, but left your whorish mom with the McMansion and a Lexus. Rex was the cool stepdad that let you drink beer at 16, whom you unironically speak lovingly of ten years later at your AA meetings. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It's pathological. The Jets fans who hate Parcells hate him because he abandoned them, not for anything he did here. He's the dad who went out for cigarettes and never came home, but left your whorish mom with the McMansion and a Lexus. Rex was the cool stepdad that let you drink beer at 16, whom you unironically speak lovingly of ten years later at your AA meetings. 

w/ a mansion? he left us w/ a bad cap and missing the playoffs 3 of 4 years.

again, I will always appreciate what he did for us in turning us around but he did a terrible job as a GM, cost us BB, Peyton and/or Brady.  we get BB and Brady and Jet fans today are defending their "cheating" while Pats fans are whining about cheating.

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That ******* team collapsed in Denver.  Rolled up in a ball and died.  Spit up a game that was right there.  I'm supposed to commend him for this?  Just like Rex and Walt Michaels, he did not complete the job.  He also was a piece of sh*t that paid his cronies and ran off to play on his boat until he could fleece some other franchise.  Parcells is a great team builder and excellent coach, but he is not the best human being and did not exactly leave us in a golden situation.

To be fair that was the famous BB overrated defense which usually comes up small in big spots unless he has the greatest D player of all time on his team.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Actually, I hated the fat **** since he rode Lawrence Taylor's coke fueled back to two Super Bowls with the Giants. 

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

w/ a mansion? he left us w/ a bad cap and missing the playoffs 3 of 4 years.

again, I will always appreciate what he did for us in turning us around but he did a terrible job as a GM, cost us BB, Peyton and/or Brady.  we get BB and Brady and Jet fans today are defending their "cheating" while Pats fans are whining about cheating.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Actually, I hated the fat **** since he rode Lawrence Taylor's coke fueled back to two Super Bowls with the Giants. 

If you were better, more grateful children, he would have come back from that bodega. But alas.

Archived