a Lucky Jet

slowmoe57

Jets claim Lucky Whitehead off waivers after Cowboys cut WR

The New York Jets have claimed wide receiver Lucky Whitehead off waivers from the Dallas Cowboys, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Whitehead, 25, was placed on waivers this week after news broke that Whitehead had been charged for shoplifting in West Virginia in June. Whitehead proclaimed his innocence, which was confirmed by the Prince William County Police Department on Wednesday when it confirmed the man arrested was not Whitehead.

The police department said that the man arrested for taking items from a Wawa on June 22 without paying didn't have identification and had verbally provided the name, date of birth and Social Security number of Rodney Darnell Whitehead Jr. to police officers, who checked the information through the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles database.

Police also compared the DMV photo on file with the man in custody and "acted in good faith that, at the time, the man in custody was the same man matching the information provided."

Despite the fact Whitehead was cleared, the Cowboys said they stood by their move and cited a pattern of behavior in justifying it.

Whitehead told the Dallas Morning News that he was "blindsided" and "no one [in Cowboys management] had my back in the whole situation. I knew about it at, what? 12:45. By 2:30, I'm released."

"Let's not sugarcoat anything. I was pretty much being called a liar," Whitehead told the Dallas Morning News in a telephone interview.

The Jets have been seeking to improve their kick return situation this offseason. Whitehead had returned kickoffs and punts for the Cowboys in each of his two seasons with the team. He returned 44 punts for 305 yards (6.9 yard average) and 33 kickoffs for 846 yards (25.6 yard average).

Whitehead's agent, David Rich, told ESPN's Todd Archer that he will consult with Whitehead and Whitehead's family over what direction to pursue next, either legally or with the NFL Players Association.

"Right now, he just wants to play football," Rich said. "He had a challenge ahead of him, and he was ready for the challenge. He was tweeting 20 minutes before the first practice how excited he was. It's been a tough 24 hours. I think it will make him stronger."

"We got made an example of," Rich added. "They needed to make an example of somebody to get those boys' heads on straight. It is calculated. But I get it. It's business ... Jason Garrett said it. They needed to do what's in the best interest of the Cowboys. I think they're wrong, but I get it."

Whitehead made headlines last week when he announced on social media that his dog, Blitz, was kidnapped and being held for ransom. He later announced on social media that the dog had been returned unharmed.

Comment

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't really know what to make of this except "The Dallas Cowboys made a decision that was in the best interests of the Dallas Cowboys". Jason Garret sounds like as big or a bigger imbecile than our HC. Did anyone else hear his PC regarding this? Jason, if you don't want to admit you guys f'ed up or are neutered by Jerry, don't have a PC! Hello??? Now as far as the player is concerned, not sure what impact if any he will have with us, does anyone know if he is any good, fast? Can he return kicks or punts perhaps? God forbid we get a ST TD this season...

27 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Don't really know what to make of this except "The Dallas Cowboys made a decision that was in the best interests of the Dallas Cowboys". Jason Garret sounds like as big or a bigger imbecile than our HC. Did anyone else hear his PC regarding this? Jason, if you don't want to admit you guys f'ed up or are neutered by Jerry, don't have a PC! Hello??? Now as far as the player is concerned, not sure what impact if any he will have with us, does anyone know if he is any good, fast? Can he return kicks or punts perhaps? God forbid we get a ST TD this season...

Mostly a special teams guy.  Worth a look.  Idk why, but I always noticed him on returns when watching Cowboys games.  Felt awful for him too when it became painfully clear the Cowboys were making him the scapegoat for Ezekiel Elliot being a special breed of stupid.

30 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

He's a 5'9 179 pound Wr with 4.36 speed .   Not a bad returner , or gadget player . ( who takes an occasionally hand off).  Returns kick offs and punts.

Claiming Lucky Whitehead on waivers was a sound, no-risk move for the Jets. Where's the downside? He's young (25), cheap ($615,000) and fast, which means he fits the profile of the "new" Jets. Oh, yes, he also fills two needs -- punt and kickoff returner. The recent publicity from his ouster with the Cowboys will blow over in a couple of days. Maybe he'll make the team, maybe he won't. It's worth a shot.

cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets get Lucky with a no-risk move that addresses return needs

No one can predict how Lucky Whitehead will fare with the New York Jets, but this much is certain: He will be an instant hit with the clever headline writers from the New York tabloids.

A historically unlucky team picks up a Lucky player. Oh, the possibilities.

The Jets might catch a little flak for claiming him on waivers -- here comes the old "circus" theme -- but this is really a no-risk move. From a financial standpoint, he will make a non-guaranteed $615,000 in 2017, the final year of his rookie contract. If they cut him, there's no cap hit.

Whitehead, 25, didn't accomplish much as a wide receiver with the Dallas Cowboys(nine catches in two years), which means he'll fit right in with the Jets' unproven cast of receivers. Jokes aside, Whitehead is an experienced punt and kickoff returner and that, more than anything, is why the Jets claimed him.

No, he didn't have any long, highlight-film returns last season, but at least he's done it. That will give him a leg up on the rest of the roster.

Where's the downside? There is none.

The Jets also should be getting a highly motivated player. The Cowboys did Whitehead wrong, cutting him before they had all the facts in what became a case of mistaken identity stemming from a shoplifting arrest last month. Whitehead was justifiably upset, accusing the Cowboys of not having his back.

"Let's not sugarcoat anything," he told the Dallas Morning News. "I was pretty much being called a liar."

Whitehead got a raw deal from the Cowboys, who used him to try to send a message. Now he gets a fresh start with the Jets. He goes from a Super Bowl contender to a possible league doormat.

When the Jets make him available to the media, we'll find out if Lucky feels that way.

17 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

He's a 5'9 179 pound Wr with 4.36 speed .   Not a bad returner , or gadget player . ( who takes an occasionally hand off).  Returns kick offs and punts.

Ok thanks...Sounds like he could be a good returner if he can hold on to the football. The way he was discarded by Dallas was not right so I hope he makes the team.

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Seems somewhat like a smaller, faster ArDarius Stewart. And I don't mean that to be critical. 

One of the fun things about a new GM is figuring out what traits he looks for--developing a picture of a Mike Maccagnan Player, if you will. So far my list consists of "lead-footed pass rushers" and "quarterbacks who suck sh*t," but it may be time to add "diminutive returners who fumble all the time."

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

So a random dude was arrested for shoplifting in West Virginia but knew Whitehead's full name and SSN off the top of his head? 

Obviously, he is not random. I'm betting the dude is an acquaintance of his.

when was the last time the jets had a reliable punt and kick off returner?  seems like they've been parading a long line of rookies and younger players who just aren't getting the job done.  this is one area where they can pick up some of those hidden yards.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

One of the fun things about a new GM is figuring out what traits he looks for--developing a picture of a Mike Maccagnan Player, if you will. So far my list consists of "lead-footed pass rushers" and "quarterbacks who suck sh*t," but it may be time to add "diminutive returners who fumble all the time."

Wait a gosh darn minute. I thought having a lead foot meant you drive fast? 

37 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Raiders didn't get the memo either as they signed Cordaelle Patterson to handle the kick returning job.  

Amazing how little the people that run the NFL watch football.  The new kick off rule is terrible. Ruins one of the most exciting aspects of the game. 

He's coming into the right team at the right time. We don't discuss it much, but its kind of slim pickings as to who is gonna be our Punt and Kick returner.

Jalin Marshall not only had a couple issues in that spot last year, but he also got suspended for PED's for four games. So there's an opening.

I think we were apparently going to have to rely on the rookies before Lucky came along. Stewart and McGuire have experience doing it, but not to the extent that Whitehead has.

KR and PR is quietly kind of an issue for the team right now.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So a random dude was arrested for shoplifting in West Virginia but knew Whitehead's full name and SSN off the top of his head? 

Well it is West Virginia.  Everyone has the same social security number there.  Its all one happy family.  

I wonder what actually happened. Maybe its someone associated with Whitehead or knows him.  Stuff we don't know.  Just return a punt for a TD every now and then and all is well.

Archived