Jets just torpedoed the PSL resale market

Doggin94it

16 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Want Jets season tickets but don't want to buy a PSL? Good news! The Jets now have you covered. They just launched Jets boarding pass, which is essentially a full season ticket for $725, no PSL required. Oh, and you may end up with seats that are way better than the $72.50 per game average cost - basically, with the boarding pass, you get assigned a different seat for each game based, I guess, on what single game tickets the team has not sold for that game. Oh, and you can buy multiple boarding passes and be sure to sit together each time.

Tell me again why I want to buy that PSL investment gold?

http://m.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jets-Launch-All-New-Jets-Boarding-Pass/ccdfb29c-6fae-444a-8648-9f254b7ad541

Sent from my SM-G920T using JetNation.com mobile app

So don't buy a PSL.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, SAR I said:

You've got it backwards.

The 55,000 PSL owners are the ones loyal to the team, who stick with them through good times and bad.

The 27,500 Upper Deckers are the ones who gave up their Giants Stadium season tickets, took Woody Johnson's free handout in the PSL-free zones, and quit on the team entirely once the AFC Championship Game appearances stopped and it was clear that it was tough times ahead.

These mythical "die hard" fans are turncoats.  They're the voices that are missing on gameday's.  PSL owners make just as much noise as they did in Giants Stadium.  It's the poor, stupid, drunken slob policemen, firemen, and former soldiers who don't show up that have made MetLife sound so quiet.  Blame them.  Blame the people who aren't there.  Blame the people who don't support the team with their wallets.  Blame the people who play the victim because their cushy seats and their scalping profit centers went away.

Jets fans are morons.

SAR I

There are a lot of those voices missing on game days in the new stadium.

We have different views; you view the PSL stadium as a good thing for your reasons, many of us think otherwise. Would only note as a business would rather have a full 80,000 people in the stadium spending their money rather than 50,000 empty seats and mostly dark sky boxes. Add in the Jets now have  the expense of a marketing department they didn't have or need before 2009. And the stadium is ugly and a pain in the ass to get in and out of. Fair to say the economic assumptions of this stadium have all gone to hell, but doesn't excuse building something so aesthetically awful and dysfunctional.

Turned down Metallica tickets in part because mom is 75 and it was Mothers Day but also because couldn't stand the idea of being stuck in such a dump for 5 hours and getting home at 3AM after being stuck in that parking lot traffic for hours. I do not understand; how do you build a stadium and make entry/exit, bathrooms and traffic all significantly worse than the old stadium? The people who built it, did they ever consider the people who would attend events there and what they want and do not want? 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

While I will 100% agree with this sentiment, don't deny that the lower bowl clears out halfway though the third quarter like somebody pulled a fire alarm. 

In fairness it was that way before 2009. There were a lot of Jets fans that would leave early in the 4th to beat traffic even if it was a close or important game.ever understood that; why bother coming to the game at all if you aren't going to stay to watch the most critical part of the game? 

3 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

It is the new free market at work, and it's not exactly free. A lot of rules being bent/broken here which is why the economy is so out of whack.

What do you expect when you have a League/country run by lawyers? Large companies lobby the politicians to impose restrictions on smaller ones, and if they do not collapse they buy them out. See the NFL, AFL story. The NFL owners know exactly how it works which is why they self imposed a hard salary cap. If they didn't have rules all the teams would be owned by two or three guys by now. 

Anyway the smart people buy low/sell high. You can still make a profit in the new "Free" Market but you cannot make a profit, and be loyal and ethical at the same time.  

Salary caps are simply a drag on player salaries, nothing else. May be in the 1950s the Giants and few other teams would have dominated, but that no longer applies. Markets don't really matter that much  any more. And further  because of taxes NY(or NJ really) may put the Jets and Giants at a disadvantage . But the NFL and it's owners have pretended it has something to do with "competitive balance". That's crap. Simply allows the owners to keep player costs low. And the NFL and it's media lackeys have allowed this concept to be portrayed as something good. Go out there and smash your brains up, but Goddamned if the owners will pay you what you are really worth. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

While I will 100% agree with this sentiment, don't deny that the lower bowl clears out halfway though the third quarter like somebody pulled a fire alarm. 

Agreed, but it's the drunks leaving early and it happens in all levels and sections of the stadium.

See, when you arrive at 10AM for a game and it's 3PM, both your skull and your urethra are in such a sorry state that you no longer care about the very football game you paid to see; you just want to get some Advil and get to bed.

Every issue anyone has with MetLife Stadium can be traced back to drunks.  Pollute the parking lots, check.  Pollute the air, check.  Harm family experience with their word choice, check.  Cause fights and disruption in the seats, check.  Stay home with cheap beer when the team goes south, check.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

SAR is so easy sometimes. Its like he's just giving it away.

You lost me with your ill conceived rant about those that protect your family for you, because lets face it, you're just a wimp that is intimidated by men of strength and action. That's probably why spending thousands of dollars to watch them from above makes you feel superior somehow.  Now, now.....go console yourself with how daddy's money made you better than me somehow. LOL.

No one protects my family because I can afford to live in a very safe neighborhood and spend the money necessary to protect my home from physical threats.  You protect the poor people in the projects from themselves.  Where I live, your role is to annoy me with parking tickets and fund raisers.

And spare us with your motivation.  If you're a fireman or a policeman, you did it for the money and the early retirement, not for the glory.  So stop acting like the world owes you a round of applause.

SAR I

Hi! My name is Crusher. I moderate this site for Max, maybe you have met him? We would like these discussions to be a little more discussions and little less personal attacks. When things become personal it makes the board a little less enjoyable for everyone. We already have the Jets to do that for us.  I love you all. Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Bugg said:

There are a lot of those voices missing on game days in the new stadium.

We have different views; you view the PSL stadium as a good thing for your reasons, many of us think otherwise. Would only note as a business would rather have a full 80,000 people in the stadium spending their money rather than 50,000 empty seats and mostly dark sky boxes. Add in the Jets now have  the expense of a marketing department they didn't have or need before 2009. And the stadium is ugly and a pain in the ass to get in and out of. Fair to say the economic assumptions of this stadium have all gone to hell, but doesn't excuse building something so aesthetically awful and dysfunctional.

Turned down Metallica tickets in part because mom is 75 and it was Mothers Day but also because couldn't stand the idea of being stuck in such a dump for 5 hours and getting home at 3AM after being stuck in that parking lot traffic for hours. I do not understand; how do you build a stadium and make entry/exit, bathrooms and traffic all significantly worse than the old stadium? The people who built it, did they ever consider the people who would attend events there and what they want and do not want? 

Listen, PSL's and Stubhub happened at the same time.  There are more available tickets at more affordable prices now than at any time in team history.

The "empty seat" syndrome isn't caused by PSL elitists.  It's caused by blue collar types who had a free ride on the Jets back and on Jets fans' backs for decades.  You know the type-  they inherited grandpa's Shea seats on the 50 yard line for $40 a game, sold them to scalpers for $150 a game, attended half the games, sold the rest, and made thousands of dollars in the process.  So now they are all boo-hoo that they lost their profit centers and after moving to the PSL-free upper deck for the playoff years have scurried like rats out of the joint.  Stadium's too quiet?  That's why.

As for ingress/egress, I have no problem's getting in and out.  Just spend the extra money on premium parking and there is no issue.  Yeah, it's $15 more you wish you didn't have to spend, but it's well worth it.

SAR I

40 minutes ago, Bugg said:

In fairness it was that way before 2009. There were a lot of Jets fans that would leave early in the 4th to beat traffic even if it was a close or important game.ever understood that; why bother coming to the game at all if you aren't going to stay to watch the most critical part of the game? 

To get drunk!  In public!  With other 50 year olds!

You can't make this stuff up.

SAR I

16 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

The Jets are not going to be sh*t forever.

Now is actually a great time to buy a PSL on the secondary market.

Heck, there are still 4 seats in the Club, Section 243, Row 5 on pslsource.com for $62 each - face was $7500

Bad for the seller, great for the buyer.

I bought 2 in 129 this year for $250 each (face was $4K) and I am 11 rows off the field.

Came from 339 Row 8 and my ticket cost is only $17.50 more a ticket.

The Jet STs are like the 2009 stock market right now.  No where to go but up.

Gotta keep the faith.  SOJFs need to cease and desist.

I get the sense that lots of riff raf are going to be in the clubs this year.  Sad!

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Toilets always drain out from bottom to top.. ;)

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

No one protects my family because I can afford to live in a very safe neighborhood and spend the money necessary to protect my home from physical threats.  You protect the poor people in the projects from themselves.  Where I live, your role is to annoy me with parking tickets and fund raisers.

And spare us with your motivation.  If you're a fireman or a policeman, you did it for the money and the early retirement, not for the glory.  So stop acting like the world owes you a round of applause.

SAR I

What a post.  To insult police and firemen simply because you've been a loser your whole life and incorrectly believe money or a watch makes you something is beyond pathetic.  

Without police who will you complain to if god forbid an errant football gets within 5 feet of your car?

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

What would happen if the NY Jets decided to abandon the PSL's and refund everyone's money initial investment no interest.

My guess is the stadium would sell out and there would be a waiting list for tickets in the LL and MEZZ.

Thoughts? 

You have a better chance of seeing peace between Israel, and the surrounding Muslim countries then Woody ever refunding anyone's PSL money.  What you might see say come year 10 of the stadium is the Jets knocking down new PSL purchase prices by 1/3 because the stadium would be roughly 20 years away from being replaced, but that's probably a long shot also.

I hate the fact that we as Jet fans needed to shell out PSL money to watch from seats that didn't need a sherpa.  However I hear so much whining and bitching strictly about how Woody is screwing the Jets fans because of PSL's .

Look around the league this is not a situation that's applies only to the Jets or Jet fans. If you want to blame Woody  - fine but in essence its the collection of NFL owners and the NFL monopoly  that is screwing the NFL fans. The TV contract alone guarantees owners and NFL teams hefty profits , its the greed of most owners and teams that screws the fans by raising costs on tickets/psls/merchandise/concessions  which is a much smaller portion of their profit margin.  I do applaud what Arthur Blank is doing down in Atlanta , if you haven't heard check out what the concessions cost in the new Falcons stadium,there's no reason other teams couldn't do this. 

So yes Woody shares blame but so do the the majority of the NFL owners. 

20 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Want Jets season tickets but don't want to buy a PSL? Good news! The Jets now have you covered. They just launched Jets boarding pass, which is essentially a full season ticket for $725, no PSL required. Oh, and you may end up with seats that are way better than the $72.50 per game average cost - basically, with the boarding pass, you get assigned a different seat for each game based, I guess, on what single game tickets the team has not sold for that game. Oh, and you can buy multiple boarding passes and be sure to sit together each time.

Tell me again why I want to buy that PSL investment gold?

http://m.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jets-Launch-All-New-Jets-Boarding-Pass/ccdfb29c-6fae-444a-8648-9f254b7ad541

Sent from my SM-G920T using JetNation.com mobile app

This franchise is a disgrace.  An absolute disgrace.

4 hours ago, Bugg said:

Salary caps are simply a drag on player salaries, nothing else. May be in the 1950s the Giants and few other teams would have dominated, but that no longer applies. Markets don't really matter that much  any more. And further  because of taxes NY(or NJ really) may put the Jets and Giants at a disadvantage . But the NFL and it's owners have pretended it has something to do with "competitive balance". That's crap. Simply allows the owners to keep player costs low. And the NFL and it's media lackeys have allowed this concept to be portrayed as something good. Go out there and smash your brains up, but Goddamned if the owners will pay you what you are really worth. 

I'm not sure how old you are but but markets don't matter because of the rules. It was never about the markets anyway but about the owner's pockets, and what they were willing to spend to build a winning team.

In the 90s just before and still after the salary cap was implemented( DeBartolo just did not want to follow it) , the 49ers and the Cowboys dominated the sport. No one could compete with what they were willing to pay, or the prestige which followed. That snowballed with free agency. 

They already had rules in place about owning more than one team, merging, and even about what other things owners were allowed to have stock in Otherwise standard business practices would have turned this sport into the WWE long ago. Who needs their stars to get hurt, or even worse...to lose.  

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

You have a better chance of seeing peace between Israel, and the surrounding Muslim countries then Woody ever refunding anyone's PSL money.  What you might see say come year 10 of the stadium is the Jets knocking down new PSL purchase prices by 1/3 because the stadium would be roughly 20 years away from being replaced, but that's probably a long shot also.

Its quite obvious a good majority of PSL's are unsold. The fact that fans who paid them are sharing seats in the same section with fans who didn't. Doesn't seem right. 

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You are a small, pathetic person. I refuse to call you a man. 

But your ignorance and sheltered, entitled outlook is hillarious. LOL. But then again, I don't work in the New York/Northeast area. So maybe the Firemen up there are different. I can't wait to retire and figure which of my 3 degrees to expand upon for a Masters and do something else with my life.....

Gee. Maybe I can sit in an office or cubicle and....nah. That life would probably lead me to suicide for the boredom and lack of, well...anything of value beyond the ability to buy a $20,000 Rolex, lease a BMW....or buy a pointless, stupid, and now unnecessary PSL. Like an a$$hole. 

LOL

34 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Its quite obvious a good majority of PSL's are unsold. The fact that fans who paid them are sharing seats in the same section with fans who didn't. Doesn't seem right. 

I'm not disagreeing with your point, just saying Woody could give 2 sh*ts.

One of the many recurring assertions in these threads is that PSLs drove away the hard core fans with their high costs. These die hards were replaced with "wine and cheese" fans who aren't passionate or loud.

Now that there are programs like the one mentioned by the OP and now that tickets can be had for cheap on the aftermarket, is the assertion that the loud and passionate fans will return?

Next time someone says it's quiet in the new stadium, don't blame PSLs. Everyone can afford to go now.

11 hours ago, BCJet said:

What a post.  To insult police and firemen simply because you've been a loser your whole life and incorrectly believe money or a watch makes you something is beyond pathetic.  

Without police who will you complain to if god forbid an errant football gets within 5 feet of your car?

Being a cop or a firefighter is just a career, just another job choice, just another group of people trying to earn a living.  While some distinguish themselves with true acts of unselfish bravery, the vast majority don't, so they don't need applause or recognition.  I merely speak the truth.  I insult no one. 

SAR I

5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You are a small, pathetic person. I refuse to call you a man.

But your ignorance and sheltered, entitled outlook is hillarious. LOL. But then again, I don't work in the New York/Northeast area. So maybe the Firemen up there are different. I can't wait to retire and figure which of my 3 degrees to expand upon for a Masters and do something else with my life.....

Gee. Maybe I can sit in an office or cubicle and....nah. That life would probably lead me to suicide for the boredom and lack of, well...anything of value beyond the ability to buy a $20,000 Rolex, lease a BMW....or buy a pointless, stupid, and now unnecessary PSL. Like an a;hole.

Sorry.  I'm not going to coddle you and blindly applaud your every word because of your chosen profession.  Like NFL players, if you choose a lucrative career that puts you in harm's way in exchange for some very special financial and personal benefits, that's your risk, that's your choice.  And that should be enough.

But, apparently, it isn't.  Unless someone is thanking you over and over again for doing your job it's time to insult them by calling them small, pathetic, lacking value, pointless, and stupid.  There was nothing in the post of mine that you responded to that justified those insults.

SAR I

11 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

There are only 14,000 Jets fans who wrote PSL checks to the Jets and none of us want our money back.  We are quite happy, thank you.  We finally got off the waiting list, finally got seats on our names, we finally get to call the shots on what games we do or don't go to.

So many people worrying themselves over money spent by total strangers 9 years ago that amounted to as little as $4 a game.   

SAR I

10 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I hate the fact that we as Jet fans needed to shell out PSL money to watch from seats that didn't need a sherpa.  However I hear so much whining and bitching strictly about how Woody is screwing the Jets fans because of PSL's .

Look around the league this is not a situation that's applies only to the Jets or Jet fans. If you want to blame Woody  - fine but in essence its the collection of NFL owners and the NFL monopoly  that is screwing the NFL fans. The TV contract alone guarantees owners and NFL teams hefty profits , its the greed of most owners and teams that screws the fans by raising costs on tickets/psls/merchandise/concessions  which is a much smaller portion of their profit margin.  I do applaud what Arthur Blank is doing down in Atlanta , if you haven't heard check out what the concessions cost in the new Falcons stadium,there's no reason other teams couldn't do this. 

So yes Woody shares blame but so do the the majority of the NFL owners. 

Bingo.

Woody Johnson is guilty of nothing.  If anything, he should be praised as an NFL outlier for handing out 27,500 seats with no PSL on them at all.  Think about that.  That's the size of 1½ Madison Square Garden's.  That's 40% of the seats in Giants Stadium.  No PSL's.  Tickets as low as $25.

But what do the fans do to thank Woody for his generosity?  They give up their season ticket subscriptions the minute the AFC Championship runs stop and complain like little girls about the noise levels of PSL fans who actually pay for tickets and show up to games while they themselves leave the upper deck 50% empty and allow enemy fans to scoop them up.  Diehards my ass.

SAR I

10 hours ago, southtown24th said:

This franchise is a disgrace.  An absolute disgrace.

Why?  Because 30,000 season ticket holders from the Giants Stadium era quit on the Jets, gave up their season tickets, refused to spend $4 a game for a PSL or refused to take a lesser location for $0 PSL?

Again, everything you hate about the Jets stadium situation is traced back to the behavior of the so-called "diehard" fans who were supposedly "kicked out" of MetLife Stadium and replaced by "soft and rich" fans.  Those 30,000 Giants Stadium quitters?

They don't buy season tickets.
They don't buy $25 gameday tickets.
They don't buy $20 Stubhub tickets.
They don't come to games.
They don't generate revenue.

So the Jets are forced to do the only thing they can do-  create packages of games at reduced prices.  And if by doing so some young 19 year old Jets fan gets to attend games this season, that's a good thing, not a bad thing.  When I was 19 I was frozen out of the stadium by a season ticket waiting list and scalpers fueled by fans making a mint in the black market.  Good for them.  We need young blood at the stadium.  They're our future.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I don't give a damn. I'm not sure why you cared what other people thought back then, either, but you sure spent a ton of time touting it as a smart investment rather than the "fun money spending" it was.

No, I did not.

I made it clear that if one purchased the right PSL's in the right locations and the team was doing well that someone could recoup their money plus a little profit at the halflife of the stadium in 2025.  The logic being that every 15 years a 15 year old who loves the Jets turns 30 and has a job in Manhattan and wants to become a season ticket holder.  And it only takes 14,000 people averaging 3 seats each to sell every PSL in the joint and there are millions of Jets fans in the NY metro area.  My Row 1 seats have held their value, if I chose to sell them right now I have no doubt that I'd make a tidy profit.  There are only so many of them around.

It does not take a brave man to call PSL owners idiots when we are headed for a 2-14 season.  You didn't call us geniuses back in '10 and '11 when we were an elite team, so shut your trap now.  This doesn't concern you.  You don't judge me on spending $16,000 on Jets PSL's and I don't judge you on spending $16,000 on beer.  That's right.  My annual PSL outlay is $533.  That's about 30 six-packs of beer per year.  That's about 10 nights at the movies.  That's about 4 nice dinners.  That's about half of what it costs to raise that dog that stinks up your house and whose disgusting crap you pick up in a plastic bag.

But whine.  Whine, whine, whine.  Whine because some of us chose to spend our fun money on the Jets instead of whatever petty indulgences you participate in for entertainment each year.

SAR I

@SAR I you going to make it to more than 3 or 4 games this year? Hope so we can use all the help we can get on game day. Please be loud when you are at the stadium. Even though it isn't every game the fans that are there each week appreciate the help.

Thanks and go Jets.

Archived