#JetsCamp Updates - Day Two - Sun 07/30/17

Maxman

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

I know the stupid 6 games bet. it might be for injury, coach saving his ass, its a meaningless number. if chicken bot had any guts he would raise it to 14

I wanna see him say it again. :D

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ASJ was 290+. Yikes

Why Jets' Austin Seferian-Jenkins thinks he'll have 'my best year ever'

FLORHAM PARK -- The room was filled mostly with suburban Las Vegas women. But towering above them all, in the 115-degree heat, was Austin Seferian-Jenkins, the Jets' 6-foot-5 tight end. 

It was time, in Henderson, Nev., for another hot pilates session. Seferian-Jenkins and his agent, Brian Fettner, spent the next hour doing aerobics, abdominal exercises, and yoga stances. 

This is how Seferian-Jenkins polished off a transformative offseason, one he hopes will result in the finest season of his uneven career. 

He isn't making any statistical predictions, instead focusing on steady, daily improvement and pushing his teammates to get better. But his aspirations are high, his focus sharpened. 

"This will be my best year ever of competing every single day -- getting here early, studying, leaving late, doing the right things on and off the field," he told NJ Advance Media when the Jets began training camp practices Saturday. "This will for sure be my best year." 

The Jets need more tight end production, and new offensive coordinator John Morton figures to involve the tight ends more in the passing game than his predecessor, Chan Gailey, did. Which shouldn't be too difficult, because the position was virtually non-existent in Gailey's passing game -- 18 tight end catches last year, eight in 2015. 

Plus, the Jets have a much more inexperienced wide receiver group this year than they had the past two seasons under Gailey. 

"I'm very excited for the opportunity that we're going to be involved in the offense," Seferian-Jenkins said. 

He won't be around for the first two games, though, since he'll be suspended -- the result of a DUI arrest last year. It was his second DUI. After last season, Seferian-Jenkins sought treatment for his alcohol problem. He decided to quit boozing on Jan. 20, and said he hasn't had a drop since. 

"Everything is behind me," he said. 

After losing 25 pounds leading up to spring practices, Seferian-Jenkins dropped eight more while working out in the Las Vegas area for a month entering training camp.

Those hot pilates sessions -- where he was one of just a handful of men -- certainly helped. He did that six days a week while staying with Fettner in Henderson. As of Saturday, Seferian-Jenkins weighs 259 pounds

But Seferian-Jenkins is different now, ready to work on the detailed, less-flashy parts of his game, like hand target points in his blocking technique. 

"I think I maybe got complacent at times through my career before," he said. "Where I thought I was good at something, and then that fell off and I didn't get better at that." 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/07/jets_austin_seferian-jenkins.html#incart_river_index

10 hours ago, nycdan said:

The fact that McCown is with the #1s for the 2nd straight day suggests to me he is the presumptive starter, no matter what the coaches or FO are saying.  I could not be more disappointed in Bowles for sending such an idiotic message.  Is this really the way to build for 2018 and beyond?  

As long as McCown is not the starter in September... I can withstand the pretense of that now..

8 hours ago, C Mart said:

Major props to him. He's made life changes. Gave up drinking, went to therapy. Yeah it's a contract yr but so far it seems to be about football and life. He should be commended. 

Agreed. You got to like what you see in that effort.  

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

As long as McCown is not the starter in September... I can withstand the pretense of that now..

Agreed.  I hate that it reeks of conservative thinking at a time when that doesn't seem called for, but if either Petty or Hack is taking the first snap in week 1, it's all good.  At least we're not likely to have a bunch of vets trying to influence the decision in favor of the vet.  Now where have I seen THAT before?

12 hours ago, flgreen said:

It's kind of funny, but I really think the TE's are going to go from a joke, to the strong point of the Jets' passing game

I think we'll feel really good about our tight ends going into next season. Leggett will establish himself early this season. He's a natural pass catcher and is exactly the kind of player that can become a steal. Highly productive, measurables that are not great but more than enough, poor during the draft process, basically his tape tells you he's one of the best in the country but everything else clouds the obvious. 

I'm hoping that McCown is getting the 1st team reps to start off out of respect for the veteran as opposed to some predestined plan to start him week 1 of the season.  The outrage here will be off the charts is this stiff is named the starter.

20 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Hack is having a "good" camp so far too but only Deshaun Watson's good days count.  Everyone else and it's too early.

This is what makes this fanbase so bad at times.  Hack is having a good camp and we get "lets see him do it more than a few days of camp, OTA, mini camp etc".  Then the switch is thrown and the same people post video of Mahomes throwing a single pass as proof of his pedigree or a quote from a report about 3 passes by Watson as an indictment for not drafting him.

Logic of a Jet fanbase

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hack hasn't looked "great" in camp. You guys are going nuts because he's throwing a spiral in camp.

Trying to define the degree of greatness hes shown is a far cry from he sucks and is a bust who will cost Macc his job.  Actually its you guys, the haters who are going nuts as Hack proves you wrong each day and each practice.  

Progress

19 hours ago, flgreen said:
  •  

One thing that jumps out about Jets rookie S Jamal Adams: He's always engaged in practice, even when he's on the sideline. He's either shouting instructions to defensive teammates or trying to fire them up. The former LSU star said the SEC prepared him for this. He said the SEC is a "mini-NFL."

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

Cue up the naysayers who think this kind of talk is useless and funny

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Trying to define the degree of greatness hes shown is a far cry from he sucks and is a bust who will cost Macc his job.  Actually its you guys, the haters who are going nuts as Hack proves you wrong each day and each practice.  

Progress

IMG_0656.JPG

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_0656.JPG

You can hope and pray that he falls on his face moving forward while I and most enjoy reading what he is actually doing on the football field today.  Hey maybe your prayers will be answered and he'll step on that rake.  But as of today the only ones with the rake to the face are those predicting bust

I dont get why anyone would spend their entire life on a Jet board just to root against someone who is the best interest in this teams success.  But hey, wtf do I know

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Cue up the naysayers who think this kind of talk is useless and funny

From my stand point I don't think there is any problem with Adams.  Think his falling to the Jets was a gift.  The problem is the back to back S's with other, IMO,  better players on the board then Maye

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

From my stand point I don't think there is any problem with Adams.  Think his falling to the Jets was a gift.  The problem is the back to back S's with other, IMO,  better players on the board then Maye

Could be but did we need a RB more than making the backfield solid?  Does a stud RB make the team better than what Powell etc will do as a rotation?  We'll see, but I get their thinking.  Dont get how no one else does.  

But my real point is there are a few assclowns who think leadership qualities that Adams seems to have are a joke.  Proving how little they actually understand about the game

23 hours ago, flgreen said:
  •  

One thing that jumps out about Jets rookie S Jamal Adams: He's always engaged in practice, even when he's on the sideline. He's either shouting instructions to defensive teammates or trying to fire them up. The former LSU star said the SEC prepared him for this. He said the SEC is a "mini-NFL."

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

I don't think anything about this one way or the other, but I think it goes to show how pitiful the carryovers are that nobody is annoyed by this.  Firing guys up is cool, if a bit much on intramural day 1 in pads, but instructions?  From a rookie?  Even UDFA guys should know as much as Adams.  I hope he is the real deal. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think anything about this one way or the other, but I think it goes to show how pitiful the carryovers are that nobody is annoyed by this.  Firing guys up is cool, if a bit much on intramural day 1 in pads, but instructions?  From a rookie?  Even UDFA guys should know as much as Adams.  I hope he is the real deal. 

Lead, follow or get out of the way. 

One should have hoped that Revis would have been this type of player, but he obviously wasn't. I don't care where it comes from, or their stature, just that someone is stepping up and doing it. 

As much as I hated Rex Ryan at the end of his tenure, he did a great job bringing in Jim Leonhard to the secondary at the beginning of Jet roster building. Leonhard was that type of player, but with notable less talent. Every team needs this type.

Archived