Hack's Footwork

JohnnyLV

The #1 biggest knock against Hack coming out was pretty much that his footwork was awful, and that led to terrible accuracy, and was incredibly hard to fix so BUST.

Yet, I have not seen a SINGLE report mention anything about footwork at all, meaning it much be fixed or pretty close to FIXED.

In fact, the only knock so far has been he "holds on to the ball too long", but sprinkled in there have been numerous reports of him being "decisive".

The "holding" criticism is probably #1 for ALL young QBs, so if that is the knock, then this is an awesome sign.

Factor in the fact that that he has elite characteristics everywhere else: size, arm strength, intelligence, work ethic and bloodlines, and we could have a guy that could be THE guy. If the footwork is fixed, that is an incredible accomplishment  for Hack and will lead to better accuracy.

Now he just needs as many reps as possible to continue the development and build chemistry, but you know, Bowles. Hopefully Morton and Bates are in the Hack camp and let Bowles know he needs to commit to Hack. 

As Bill Polian and Pat Kirwan both have said: Every rep McClown gets is a rep that Hack does not get.

Make him #1 now, give him 75% of the reps and if he completely falls on his face go with Petty or McClown (who will be exactly the same dull turd of a QB with 50% of the reps or 5%) he's freaking 39. Vinny T. literally got off the couch on a WEDNESDAY  signed with Carolina had 3 practices and WON on Sunday. McClown does not need reps. Petty and Hack do.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Larz said:

I saw one mention that the footwork to the target was allowing him to be so much more consistent, maybe in todays practice thread

KRL yesterday I think. Cautiously optimistic. Not gonna worry about anything else for now like If McCown plays with the 1's yada yada. We're gonna see him play in two weeks.

And if he hits a reporter in the head that's a good thing :o

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The #1 biggest knock against Hack coming out was pretty much that his footwork was awful, and that led to terrible accuracy, and was incredibly hard to fix so BUST.

Yet, I have not seen a SINGLE report mention anything about footwork at all, meaning it much be fixed or pretty close to FIXED.

In fact, the only knock so far has been he "holds on to the ball too long", but sprinkled in there have been numerous reports of him being "decisive".

The "holding" criticism is probably #1 for ALL young QBs, so if that is the knock, then this is an awesome sign.

Factor in the fact that that he has elite characteristics everywhere else: size, arm strength, intelligence, work ethic and bloodlines, and we could have a guy that could be THE guy. If the footwork is fixed, that is an incredible accomplishment  for Hack and will lead to better accuracy.

Now he just needs as many reps as possible to continue the development and build chemistry, but you know, Bowles. Hopefully Morton and Bates are in the Hack camp and let Bowles know he needs to commit to Hack. 

As Bill Polian and Pat Kirwan both have said: Every rep McClown gets is a rep that Hack does not get.

Make him #1 now, give him 75% of the reps and if he completely falls on his face go with Petty or McClown (who will be exactly the same dull turd of a QB with 50% of the reps or 5%) he's freaking 39. Vinny T. literally got off the couch on a WEDNESDAY  signed with Carolina had 3 practices and WON on Sunday. McClown does not need reps. Petty and Hack do.

right.  get him in there.  if he's accepted by the team then they need to go with him.

I have put my 2 piece in....I think Hack is the truth.....but to see how much progress he really has made we need to see him with pressure in his face with a good pass rush coming and a sketchy line..........lol give it about 2 days. He'll be with the 1's by Tuesday.

39 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

These evaluations on mechanics are not complete, not by a long shot.

Until he is facing NFL pass rushers behind a below average offensive line without a red jersey, it will remain in question.

exactly.  lets see what happens when his instincts kick in

58 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

KRL yesterday I think. Cautiously optimistic. Not gonna worry about anything else for now like If McCown plays with the 1's yada yada. We're gonna see him play in two weeks.

And if he hits a reporter in the head that's a good thing :o

a reporter? Let's be greedy and hope for several. 

49 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

These evaluations on mechanics are not complete, not by a long shot.

Until he is facing NFL pass rushers behind a below average offensive line without a red jersey, it will remain in question.

Agreed. Its definitely not a bad sign that his technique is holding for now, but whether or not it stays that way when he's out there will be the real test. Whether or not he can make the right reads with all that going on is the next. 

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Two things can happen this season that would make me very happy.

1. Hackenberg is awesome and they win a bunch of games.

2. They lose every game

I just want a f*cking QB.  Hack. Darnold. Rosen. Rudolph. Anyone.

F*ck.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Make him #1 now

So repeat the same mistakes we made with Sanchez and Geno?

Can we just let him EARN his job for a change?  I agree, we all want Hack to start.  

Perhaps Hack should beat out a has-been and a never-will-be to get that chance first.

You know, with all that "elite" you say he has.

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Can we just let him EARN his job for a change?  I agree, we all want Hack to start.  

Perhaps Hack should beat out a has-been and a never-will-be to get that chance first.

I don't agree with that. Sanchez did not work out, and Geno's tenure was unfortunate but making them the guy was NOT the wrong thing to do on any level. QB competitions are a complete sham and hinder the development of a young QB.  Just because neither Sanchez or Geno turned out to be the guy does not mean it is the wrong way to go. Like I said, and rep McClown gets is a rep Hack or Petty do not get. And right now they are the only Jets QBs that matter at all. Nothing could possibly be dumber for this team right now than starting another washed up veteran retread that is a PROVEN loser. "Winning" the job is a nice soundbite, but in today's NFL it is not practical. Now, Hack should get 70% of the reps, Petty 20% and McClown maybe 10%. And I say Hack because clearly the Jets view him as 3rd, though I would be OK if they anointed Petty too. If Petty clearly outplays Hack in the practices and preseason games then he has a chance to "win" the job. But McClown should have zero chance and him outplaying either of these guys is completely irrelevant to the long term success of this team.

Hopefully all this is moot though as it sounds like Hack is outplaying McClown already anyway.

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Things will hopefully change for the better in 12 days.  I expect as we approach the 1st preseason game Hack will start to tip the scales in reps during TC but McCown will still get the 1st series in the 1st game.  Then it will be Hacks audition to take the team under his wing with a strong game 1 performance.  If that happens just like Dak last season, he can start to flip the script and start getting his teammates behind him.  One of the issues right now is that Hack is doing everything right but he needs to win the confidence of his players.  He has to contend with an experienced vet that all the players currently really like and feel comfortable with.  Game 1 is the time to prove all his progress.  Do it in game 1 and then you own the reps leading into game 2 and so forth.  If he can't win it in game 1 and doesn't bounce back with strong showings in game 2 then I expect McCown to hold the top spot in prep for game 3 and then regular season opening but will be on a very short leash depending on what Hack does show in preseason.

Let the kid win the starting job. There is no reason to just hand the kid the keys to the car right away. He will get plenty of reps, either way. He is clearly developing despite haven't played zero snaps last year during the regular season. 

Just naming him the QB because he doesn't suck, is a recipe for disaster and is a bad lesson to teach the rest of the team. I am all in on Hack this year. But I really don't care if he wins the job in camp, pre-season, week 1 or week 4. I just want him to win it and not be handed the job because "well, why not?" 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yeah I agree. I hope Hack wins the job but they have to make him earn it.

And guess what? Maybe that is what they are doing. It is possible that they are high on him, they stayed quiet and helped fuel his off-season workouts. That might be wishful thinking on my part but it is nice to dream.  

Either way they are doing the right thing with the kid by not handing him anything. So that part shouldn't change.

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Things will hopefully change for the better in 12 days.  I expect as we approach the 1st preseason game Hack will start to tip the scales in reps during TC but McCown will still get the 1st series in the 1st game.  Then it will be Hacks audition to take the team under his wing with a strong game 1 performance.  If that happens just like Dak last season, he can start to flip the script and start getting his teammates behind him.  One of the issues right now is that Hack is doing everything right but he needs to win the confidence of his players.  He has to contend with an experienced vet that all the players currently really like and feel comfortable with.  Game 1 is the time to prove all his progress.  Do it in game 1 and then you own the reps leading into game 2 and so forth.  If he can't win it in game 1 and doesn't bounce back with strong showings in game 2 then I expect McCown to hold the top spot in prep for game 3 and then regular season opening but will be on a very short leash depending on what Hack does show in preseason.

But the receivers Hack was throwing to were terrible.

Oh wait I need to hold that until after the game, haha hopefully we don't need any QB excuses!

4 hours ago, thadude said:

Lol

"Dude", we get it. You hate Hack and feel that he is the worst qb to ever walk the face of an NFL training camp. You have made that abundantly clear in thousands of posts.

This is a free country, and thanks to Max, a free forum, and that allows you to post most anything that you want. 

But, just a little bit of advice, at least change your posts up to reflect something with some substance to support your agenda, or at least change it up to some degree. The sam old empty "trolling" of a topic are tiresome, and make you appear less than knowledgable on the subject and only here to further a trolling existence . I am sure that is not the case. 

Have a great day.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

But the million dollar question : How does Todd handle the situation.

5 hours ago, j4jets said:

Lol this is awesome. Not a single NFL rep and he's apparently fixed his mechanics. Btw is he able to hit the ocean yet?

As awesome of not taking a single NFL snap and hearing from unnamed sources that he can't hit said ocean?

As always, there will be those that believe want they want to believe. I am sure I fit that description as well.

7 hours ago, j4jets said:

Lol this is awesome. Not a single NFL rep and he's apparently fixed his mechanics. Btw is he able to hit the ocean yet?

I am not sure what you're implying. A player can't show improved mechanics in practice? If a basketball player worked on his FT mechanics and was hitting more FTs in practice, would you say something stupid like "not a single NBA rep and he's apparently fixed his mechanics"? 

Improved mechanics is simply a step in the right direction. It doesn't mean he will be great or even decent, it just means there is a glimmer of hope in a kid with a TON of talent. His numbers in camp so far have been pretty good and most real Jets fans are happy with the improvement. But none of us are going out and buying Hack jerseys. 

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am not sure what you're implying. A player can't show improved mechanics in practice? If a basketball player worked on his FT mechanics and was hitting more FTs in practice, would you say something stupid like "not a single NFL FT and he's apparently fixed his mechanics"? 

Improved mechanics is simply a step in the right direction. It doesn't mean he will be great or even decent, it just means there is a glimmer of hope in a kid with a TON of talent. His numbers in camp so far have been pretty good and most real Jets fans are happy with the improvement. But none of us are going out and buying Hack jerseys. 

Good to see someone who understands the context of the camp reports!!!

So you are dismissive of reports of his improved mechanics, but take to heart an anonymous quote about him being "able to hit the ocean".

Sound logic.

Have to agree with the OP, and I'm not close to being a Hack fan.  Gagged when they drafted him.  Fact is he is a NY Jet right now, and the best thing for the Jets, and the fan base is for Hack/Petty to step up this year, and take charge.  Going with McCown is a repeat of the Fitz mistake.  Smart, well liked guy, probably the best QB in the room.................Right now.  He isn't going anywhere up.

Hack, to my surprise, by all reports has shown a good bit of improvement.  Yeah it's only 2 days into camp, and it could be fools gold, but IMO he has shown enough to convince me he has possibility to improve.  McCown is very popular in the locker room.  There was an article about it today.  I don't think it's a good idea to let him become entrenched as "the leader" with all the young players in the locker room.  It will be team disturbing when the time comes to start moving Hack into the starting QB role.  Just like it was with Fitz.

Lets see if Hack can take that giant step.  Only way to do it is through  reps, and more reps.  If he falls apart, he falls apart.  He's clearly studied in the off season, now is the time to put what he's learned into practice 

11 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Luckily we don't have any Vets on offense for him to win over. 

1 minute ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Luckily we don't have any Vets on offense for him to win over. 

He doesn't have to just win over vets, I hadn't even mentioned it in that way.  What do you consider a vet by the way?  Beachum, Carpenter, Johnson, ASJ, Powell, Forte are all vets imo.  Each has 3+ years NFL experience but that is off my point anyway.  He needs to win over all his teammates to a level of confidence they are willing to follow him into battle.  Right now as much as people hate to hear it, McCown is the experienced QB who everyone really likes.  They like his preparation, they like his leadership, they feel comfortable right now with him and that is just human nature, the dude has experience and carries himself differently than the young QBs.  Hack has the talent and work ethic, now he has to win over the team and prove it on the field for the mindset of the team to flip and get energized and hopeful about playing for Hack instead of McCown.  Only Hack can really control that.  

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Yeah it's only 2 days into camp, and it could be fools gold, but IMO he has shown enough to convince me he has possibility to improve.  McCown is very popular in the locker room.  There was an article about it today.  I don't think it's a good idea to let him become entrenched as "the leader" with all the young players in the locker room.  It will be team disturbing when the time comes to start moving Hack into the starting QB role.  Just like it was with Fitz.

This is a great point.  The longer McCown gets 1st string reps, the more likely it will be that be builds allies which could potentially create tension later on.  If this friggin team had any sense, they would make it clear right from the get go that Hack and Petty are going to fight it out for the starting role and McCown will be the backup. This notion that a team in full rebuild mode will start a veteran stiff journeyman QB instead of one of their recently drafted QB prospects is beyond ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

He doesn't have to just win over vets, I hadn't even mentioned it in that way.  What do you consider a vet by the way?  Beachum, Carpenter, Johnson, ASJ, Powell, Forte are all vets imo.  Each has 3+ years NFL experience but that is off my point anyway.  He needs to win over all his teammates to a level of confidence they are willing to follow him into battle.  Right now as much as people hate to hear it, McCown is the experienced QB who everyone really likes.  They like his preparation, they like his leadership, they feel comfortable right now with him and that is just human nature, the dude has experience and carries himself differently than the young QBs.  Hack has the talent and work ethic, now he has to win over the team and prove it on the field for the mindset of the team to flip and get energized and hopeful about playing for Hack instead of McCown.  Only Hack can really control that.  

I meant proven Vets. Powell and Forte I'll give you, but they're both trying to earn carries as well. Forte doesn't strike me as a malcontent. 

I get that they may want the Vet, but I'm just saying that Mac got rid of every player with the clout, and the personality to rock the boat. 

Everyone on the offense is trying to prove themselves at this point. 

11 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

This is too slow, IMHO. I'm reasonably pleased with McCown and Hack getting roughly equal snaps right now, but I'd like to see Hack start getting more of the starters reps in the coming (single digit) days, en route to starting the first preseason game. I don't think a second year second round pick should be on the same schedule as a fourth round rookie. Especially here, where Josh McCown is clearly not the future. 

I think these first few practices should be that breaking in period that you're talking about, but that Hackenberg should be in the starter's role well before the first preseason game - provided that he continues to produce in practice. 

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I agree. I hope Hack wins the job but they have to make him earn it.

And guess what? Maybe that is what they are doing. It is possible that they are high on him, they stayed quiet and helped fuel his off-season workouts. That might be wishful thinking on my part but it is nice to dream.  

Either way they are doing the right thing with the kid by not handing him anything. So that part shouldn't change.

This is what I'm hoping they're doing, too, but I also have no problem with them putting their thumb on the Hackenberg side of the scale. The only way McCown should start for this team is if he's demonstratively better than Hack. That throwing Hack out there hurts the development of the young receivers et al on the team. So far, that doesn't seem to be the case. They're at least close, and it seems to me that most reporting has Hackenberg ahead. The failures of Geno and Sanchez aren't applicable here. They've already given Hackenberg the redshirt year both of those players would've greatly benefitted from. This kid has three more seasons (including this one) under his rookie deal, and they need to find out everything they can about him before they're in a position to draft a potential franchise QB in the first round next year.  

I'm sure Hackenberg, the players, and the coaches are all well aware of the press surrounding the young QB. Opening camp with him in the #2 spot was the right thing to do to take the pressure off a little bit, and let him get acclimated to something more than a scout team role for the first time. But they have to take the rest of the bubble wrap off, already. It's okay to play favorites with a young highish draft pick over a 38-year-old veteran - at any position on the team. 

Archived