KRL Camp Notes (7/31/17)

KRL

General Notes

- First full pad practice

- Practice ran 2 hours and 45 minutes

- Practice was open to the public for the first time.  Attendance seemed down but only slightly

- The media attendance picked up I guess because Roger Goodell was at the facility

- Penalty laps from the Mangini era returns when offensive players mess up

Player Notes

- Ardarius Stewart and Chad Hansen returned fully to practice.  First impressions, Stewart early
on was "double catching" balls until things started to slow down for him.  Hansen was being instructed
by John Morton to not push off on comeback routes.  He needed to be more subtle when "disposing" of
the CB's

- The players auditioning for the return jobs are Lucky Whitehead, Romar Morris (RB), Marcus Murphy
(RB) and Frankie Hammond (WR)

- With the pads coming on there were 1 on 1 blocking drills:
  * Darron Lee showed much stronger hands as he rocked back Bilal Powell
  * Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jordan Leggett and Eric Tomlinson were better than I expected.  Instead
    of just getting in the way they actually were physical and moved people

- In 9 on 7 running drills the run defense was stout.  Credit to Deon Simon and the ILB's (Lee & Demario
Davis) for shutting down the middle

- Morris Claiborne returned and continued to impress.  It's shocking to say based on their careers but 
he's going to be a huge upgrade over Revis if he stays on the field

- Sheldon Richardson continued to impress with TFL's in the running game.  Steve McLendon also had
multiple TFL's as he blew up running plays

- Elijah McGuire flashed today with a couple of tough inside runs and a 40+ yard TD off an inside
screen pass from Josh McCown

- Concerning the kicking battle both Ross Martin & Chandler Catanzaro were perfect in their attempts.
But I'm leaning toward Martin winning the battle because it appears he's improved his leg strength.
He's been hitting 50+ yarders easily and on bad snaps he was still able to adjust and make the kicks

QB's

- Josh McCown and Bryce Petty were both alright, nothing spectacular but no turnovers.  On one occasion
it appeared that Petty was held on the sideline to allow Christian Hackenberg to stay on the field  

- Hackenberg "stacked" another practice as he continued to progress.  Areas of improvement today included:
  1. On QB rollouts he was able to maintain accuracy even when his feet weren't stationary
  2. Throwing with anticipation to spots before receivers were there
  3. Throwing through tight windows in the middle of the field
He got scolded and yanked from one rep by Bowles/Morton when he didn't get out of the huddle quick enough 

Padded Plays Of The Day

- Wesley Johnson and Anthony Firkser (FB) "combo pancake" blocked McLendon on a long run up the middle

- Doug Middleton (S) "clothes-lined" Jordan Todman (RB) with one arm for a TFL

Standouts

- Run defense

41 minutes ago, KRL said:

General Notes

- Practice was open to the public for the first time.  Attendance seemed down but only slightly

- The media attendance picked up I guess because Roger Goodell was at the facility

Player Notes

- Ardarius Stewart and Chad Hansen returned fully to practice.  First impressions, Stewart early
on was "double catching" balls until things started to slow down for him.  Hansen was being instructed
by John Morton to not push off on comeback routes.  He needed to be more subtle when "disposing" of
the CB's

- The players auditioning for the return jobs are Lucky Whitehead, Romar Morris (RB), Marcus Murphy

* Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jordan Leggett and Eric Tomlinson were better than I expected.  Instead

- In 9 on 7 running drills the run defense was stout.  Credit to Deon Simon and the ILB's (Lee & Demario

- Morris Claiborne returned and continued to impress.  It's shocking to say based on their careers but 

- Sheldon Richardson continued to impress with TFL's in the running game.  Steve McLendon also had

- Elijah McGuire flashed today with a couple of tough inside runs and a 40+ yard TD off an inside

- Concerning the kicking battle both Ross Martin & Chandler Catanzaro were perfect in their attempts.
But I'm leaning toward Martin winning the battle because it appears he's improved his leg strength.
He's been hitting 50+ yarders easily and on bad snaps he was still able to adjust and make the kicks

QB's

- Josh McCown and Bryce Petty were both alright, nothing spectacular but no turnovers.  On one occasion
it appeared that Petty was held on the sideline to allow Christian Hackenberg to stay on the field  

- Hackenberg "stacked" another practice as he continued to progress.  Areas of improvement today included:
  1. On QB rollouts he was able to maintain accuracy even when his feet weren't stationary
He got scolded and yanked from one rep by Bowles/Morton when he didn't get out of the huddle quick enough 

Padded Plays Of The Day

- Wesley Johnson and Anthony Firkser (FB) "combo pancake" blocked McLendon on a long run up the middle

Standouts

- Run defense

I love the fact that Hack is "stacking" practices together, best news a Jets fan can hear.

The next step Hack IMO needs to take is to be in that huddle leading, commanding, and getting positive responses from the other 10 guys in that huddle, IF he can continue his physical progress he seems to have made, AND become a fierce field general to those other 10 guys on offense that will look into his eyes, and see someone they are willing to go follow then the Jets have something, that is just as if not more important then the physical aspect, but if you can get both you usually have your franchise QB.

Have you been able to tell if he is showing any signs leading the guys out of the huddle with positive responses from the players at all?

Answers to questions:

- About the OLine, I would say that the "sacks" they've given up came when the WR's couldn't get open
the first two days and when the defense came with their blitz package.  Other than that they've won
some and lost some against the DLine.  I'll try to focus on individual players the next two practices
but when Hackeberg is back there I lock on him, sorry

- What I can tell about Hackenberg when he's on the field is that he's the one pointing out alignment
/ formation mistakes when players aren't lined up

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

Answers to questions:

- What I can tell about Hackenberg when he's on the field is that he's the one pointing out alignment
/ formation mistakes when players aren't lined up

Awesome, what I wanted to hear, now just hope he can continue to play well so that voice will carry clout to be a vocal field general that is needed IMO to be a Franchise QB.

So much optimism....the black hole is sucking me in again!

Thanks, KRL.  I think the biggest surprise here is the good report on the ILBs.  The secondary seems like it will be in pretty good shape if Claiborne stays healthy, but if we can get some play out of the ILBs behind a reenergized DL, we might get back to having a really stout defense.  

KRL, if you had to pick on one unit, would OL be the area of greatest concern right now?  Even taking into account the ridiculous DL they have to scrimmage against?

I would love for the Jets to continue to bring Hackenberg along at the pace they are doing . Keep him working with the 2nd team offense against he 2nd team defense for the time being so as to allow him to build his confidence .The kid as much to unlearn and even more to learn, and thus far he seems t be regaining his confidence . Let's slow walk this, because we.re building something for the long haul that's sustainable

25 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So much optimism....the black hole is sucking me in again!

Thanks, KRL.  I think the biggest surprise here is the good report on the ILBs.  The secondary seems like it will be in pretty good shape if Claiborne stays healthy, but if we can get some play out of the ILBs behind a reenergized DL, we might get back to having a really stout defense.  

KRL, if you had to pick on one unit, would OL be the area of greatest concern right now?  Even taking into account the ridiculous DL they have to scrimmage against?

The WR's, they'll have to prove they can get open against press coverage

22 minutes ago, slats said:

@KRL

When Hack is on the field with the 2s, what defense is on the field? The 1s or the 2s or some combination? 

Mixing & Matching but there have been times when he's had Wilkerson & Williams on the DLine

11 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I would love for the Jets to continue to bring Hackenberg along at the pace they are doing . Keep him working with the 2nd team offense against he 2nd team defense for the time being so as to allow him to build his confidence .The kid as much to unlearn and even more to learn, and thus far he seems t be regaining his confidence . Let's slow walk this, because we.re building something for the long haul that's sustainable

Pre 2011 CBA sure, but this isn't feasible with the current CBA, unless you have a real established QB, AND a established offensive sytem odds are if the Jets season goes real sour Hack will be learning a 3rd offense in year 3, and most likely another high drafted QB ahead of Hack in the pecking order.  The Jets don't have anything in place to make your proposed plan to work.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

General Notes

Player Notes

the CB's

QB's

Padded Plays Of The Day

Standouts

- Run defense

Thank you for these, best thing going.

18 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Pre 2011 CBA sure, but this isn't feasible with the current CBA, unless you have a real established QB, AND a established offensive sytem odds are if the Jets season goes real sour Hack will be learning a 3rd offense in year 3, and most likely another high drafted QB ahead of Hack in the pecking order.  The Jets don't have anything in place to make your proposed plan to work.

When I say take it slow, I mean work him into a perspective starter by the 3rd preseason game . I would love to see McCown continue with the 1st team with Hackenberg occasionally getting more reps with them if he continues to progress . By the time we get to the Giants pre-season game, whoever is going to be the starter will and should have earned the Job .

First off, thank you KRL.  Everyone is dead on when they say it's greatly appreciated for the time and effort you put into these reports.  It's 100% not going unappreciated.

With that, I know it's only been three practices but I'm loving what I'm hearing about Hackenberg.  As a fan anything positive that comes out of camp about this kid is just so integral to this franchise.  It's especially refreshing to hear because most if not everyone expected nothing to come from this kid.  I pray that he continues to progress every practice and ends up taking that starting spot come Week 1 against Buffalo.  Once he gets comfortable one of his strengths in college was his ability to read a defense and make adjustments to counter what they were showing.  He would walk to his olineman and point out and audible plays.  I hope he gets to that level in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

When I say take it slow, I mean work him into a perspective starter by the 3rd preseason game . I would love to see McCown continue with the 1st team with Hackenberg occasionally getting more reps with them if he continues to progress . By the time we get to the Giants pre-season game, whoever is going to be the starter will and should have earned the Job .

Gotcha, thought you were talking about how the Packers had the luxury to tear down, and rebuild back up Aaron Rodgers type situation (which probably would be the absolute best situation for Hack, I honestly think there is a franchise QB inside that boy it just needs to be properly coached into him, he IMO like Rodgers is the rare case where a guy needs to be rebuilt before fulfilling his promise).

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I kind of agree with you.  The last thing we need to do is put undo pressure on him by naming him the starter prematurely.  Let him keep on having solid practices and hopefully solid preseason performances.  If he is even with McCown, he should be named the starter. 

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Seems the Jets are a LT, #1 WR away even IF they have by some miracle found a QB, like the TE group, the Guards are good, and think RB can be upgraded, but it's not terrible.

Got plenty of money to potentially steal Allen Robinson next year.

Archived