KRL

General Notes

- Players in full pads

- Practice runs 2 hours 40 minutes

- Matt Forte sits out with his leg injury but Robby Anderson practices fully

- In the special teams period coaches squib kicked to the "big boys" (OLine
& DLine) to simulate recovering an onside kick

- The offense started to install formation shifts & motions

- John Morton (OC) is very detailed oriented and demanding.  If you're not lined
up exactly or if a receiver's feet are in the wrong position as they take their
position he'll go "volcano".  Also if you don't finish the play sprinting you'll
get called out

- Dennard Wilson (DB coach) also wasn't a very happy man today.  He was all over his
unit during team periods when they couldn't get off the field in "3rd down situations"

Player Notes

- Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye started to "flash" today.  In 1 on 1 drills Adams showed
CB coverage skills as he defended RB's & WR's and in a team period he got a "sack" on
a blitz.  Maye in 1 on 1 drills showed excellent closing speed to the sideline as he
picked off a Christian Hackenberg pass to Jalin Marshall(?).  And in a team period
he "blasted" Jordan Leggett on a short sideline reception again showing closing speed

- Robby Anderson finally beat Morris Claiborne off the line and beat him on a 30+ yard
slant during team period.  It deserves a mention because Claiborne was abusing him earlier
in camp

- With Forte out, Bilal Powell and Elijah McGuire flashed at the RB position.  Powell 
had a nice inside / out run where he got skinny up the middle then bounced out for 15+
yards.  And McGuire has surprised me with his willingness to run up the middle and not
to bounce everything outside

- After watching Demario Davis his first time around with the Jets I wasn't impressed.
I thought he was pedestrian at best, but I'll give him credit for his play so far.  He's
been extremely physical, today he blew up Julian Howsare (FB) on a running play that
you could hear on the sidelines.  Maybe he'll be better this time around

- A couple of lesser known players had some "splash" plays today.  Chris Harper (WR) had
two circus catches, a 30+ yard one handed catch and a 20+ yard leaping sideline catch
both from Bryce Petty.  Corey Lemonier (OLB) had a "sack" of Petty in team periods and 
during his reps showed good closing speed coming off the edge

QB's

The offense was more run oriented today so there wasn't a ton of action

- Josh McCown was probably the most effective QB.  A game manager type of practice with
no INT's

- Bryce Petty also had no INT's and Harper made him look good with those circus catches.
But I think he's the #3 QB at best and his reduction in reps reflects that

- Christian Hackenberg for the first time didn't progress, he threw an INT to Maye during 
the 1 on 1 period.  He also threw an INT to Dexter McDougle (a deflection as he tried to
throw between two DB's).  In his final team period reps he ended on a good note with two
nice throws one to Quincy Enunwa and one to Austin Seferian-Jenkins.  Now that he's hit
a bump in the road let's see how he recovers on Thursday

Standouts

- Chris Harper
- Jamal Adams
- Marcus Maye

Concerns

- The blood pressure of John Morton & Dennard Wilson

To clarify about Hackenberg before someone goes off the deep end.  He didn't revert
back to last year where "he couldn't throw the ball in the ocean".  He just wasn't
as sharp as he was the first three practices.  That's it

25 minutes ago, KRL said:

- John Morton (OC) is very detailed oriented and demanding.  If you're not lined
position he'll go "volcano".

This stuff can fall on deaf ears real quick if what he is trying to do is not successful, it will have the exact opposite effect then attended, he needs to tread carefully with this type of coaching, I know it's the exact opposite of what the Jets have had here in the past, but there has to be a middle ground somewhere IMO.

6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This stuff can fall on deaf ears real quick if what he is trying to do is not successful, it will have the exact opposite effect then attended, he needs to tread carefully with this type of coaching, I know it's the exact opposite of what the Jets have had here in the past, but there has to be a middle ground somewhere IMO.

I may be wrong, but I think you coach 97 players different than you coach 53 especially when you know 44 or more will be getting released .

Just now, Tinstar said:

I may be wrong, but I think you coach 97 players different than you coach 53 especially when you know 44 or more will be getting released .

If he tones it down with the 53 that would be considered middle ground to me.

39 minutes ago, KRL said:

General Notes

- Players in full pads

- Practice runs 2 hours 40 minutes

- Matt Forte sits out with his leg injury but Robby Anderson practices fully

- In the special teams period coaches squib kicked to the "big boys" (OLine
& DLine) to simulate recovering an onside kick

- The offense started to install formation shifts & motions

position he'll go "volcano".  Also if you don't finish the play sprinting you'll
get called out

- Dennard Wilson (DB coach) also wasn't a very happy man today.  He was all over his
unit during team periods when they couldn't get off the field in "3rd down situations"

Player Notes

- Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye started to "flash" today.  In 1 on 1 drills Adams showed
CB coverage skills as he defended RB's & WR's and in a team period he got a "sack" on
a blitz.  Maye in 1 on 1 drills showed excellent closing speed to the sideline as he
picked off a Christian Hackenberg pass to Jalin Marshall(?).  And in a team period
he "blasted" Jordan Leggett on a short sideline reception again showing closing speed

- Robby Anderson finally beat Morris Claiborne off the line and beat him on a 30+ yard
slant during team period.  It deserves a mention because Claiborne was abusing him earlier
in camp

- With Forte out, Bilal Powell and Elijah McGuire flashed at the RB position.  Powell 
had a nice inside / out run where he got skinny up the middle then bounced out for 15+
yards.  And McGuire has surprised me with his willingness to run up the middle and not
to bounce everything outside

- After watching Demario Davis his first time around with the Jets I wasn't impressed.
I thought he was pedestrian at best, but I'll give him credit for his play so far.  He's
been extremely physical, today he blew up Julian Howsare (FB) on a running play that
you could hear on the sidelines.  Maybe he'll be better this time around

- A couple of lesser known players had some "splash" plays today.  Chris Harper (WR) had
two circus catches, a 30+ yard one handed catch and a 20+ yard leaping sideline catch
both from Bryce Petty.  Corey Lemonier (OLB) had a "sack" of Petty in team periods and 
during his reps showed good closing speed coming off the edge

QB's

The offense was more run oriented today so there wasn't a ton of action

- Josh McCown was probably the most effective QB.  A game manager type of practice with
no INT's

- Bryce Petty also had no INT's and Harper made him look good with those circus catches.
But I think he's the #3 QB at best and his reduction in reps reflects that

- Christian Hackenberg for the first time didn't progress, he threw an INT to Maye during 
the 1 on 1 period.  He also threw an INT to Dexter McDougle (a deflection as he tried to
throw between two DB's).  In his final team period reps he ended on a good note with two
nice throws one to Quincy Enunwa and one to Austin Seferian-Jenkins.  Now that he's hit
a bump in the road let's see how he recovers on Thursday

Standouts

- Chris Harper
- Jamal Adams
- Marcus Maye

Concerns

- The blood pressure of John Morton & Dennard Wilson

Dexter!!!! Good heavens that boys got as many lives as I have chins! Pretty sure this is his year! 

51 minutes ago, KRL said:

To clarify about Hackenberg before someone goes off the deep end.  He didn't revert
back to last year where "he couldn't throw the ball in the ocean".  He just wasn't

You just ruined dbatesman a night, he was ready to open up a bottle of mad dog 2020 to celebrate, now he needs to save it for another night.

56 minutes ago, KRL said:

Thanks for the great reports.  

Quick question - how does the team speed look in comparison to years past?   I know it's early but overall how does this team compare to last summer?

KRL, as always, great report!  

Excellent observation regarding Morton and attention to detail. I heard Forte on Sirius today and he said the same thing about Morton 

yesterday Mo & Leo said the same thing regarding DL coach Nunn and they're also doing more technique work this yr 

thanks for the Lemonier observation. He's my under the radar guy who with Green's tutelage could develop at least into a designated pass rusher. 

Is it weird that the two things that jumped out at me was McGuire's ability to run up the middle (against THIS D-line) and the fact that Davis was alright at MIKE?

Assessment of QB's can come from anywhere, but its always nice to here updates about less than "newsworthy" players like them. good work as always.

1 hour ago, Tony MaC said:

Is it weird that the two things that jumped out at me was McGuire's ability to run up the middle (against THIS D-line) and the fact that Davis was alright at MIKE?

Assessment of QB's can come from anywhere, but its always nice to here updates about less than "newsworthy" players like them. good work as always.

McGuire is the guy who I think he can flash during the season

Leonard.jpg

General Notes

– Players in full pads.

– Practice runs 2 hours 40 minutes.

– Matt Forte sits out with his leg injury but Robby Anderson practices fully.

– In the special teams period coaches squib kicked to the “big boys” (OLine & DLine) to simulate recovering an onside kick.

– The offense started to install formation shifts & motions.

– John Morton (OC) is very detailed oriented and demanding.  If you’re not lined up exactly or if a receiver’s feet are in the wrong position as they take their position he’ll go “volcano”.  Also if you don’t finish the play sprinting you’ll get called out.

– Dennard Wilson (DB coach) also wasn’t a very happy man today.  He was all over his unit during team periods when they couldn’t get off the field in “3rd down situations”.

Player Notes

– Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye started to “flash” today.  In 1 on 1 drills Adams showed CB coverage skills as he defended RB’s & WR’s and in a team period he got a “sack” on a blitz.  Maye in 1 on 1 drills showed excellent closing speed to the sideline as he picked off a Christian Hackenberg pass to Jalin Marshall(?).  And in a team period he “blasted” Jordan Leggett on a short sideline reception again showing closing speed.

– Robby Anderson finally beat Morris Claiborne off the line and beat him on a 30+ yard slant during team period.  It deserves a mention because Claiborne was abusing him earlier in camp.

– With Forte out, Bilal Powell and Elijah McGuire flashed at the RB position.  Powell had a nice inside / out run where he got skinny up the middle then bounced out for 15+ yards.  And McGuire has surprised me with his willingness to run up the middle and not to bounce everything outside.

– After watching Demario Davis his first time around with the Jets I wasn’t impressed. I thought he was pedestrian at best, but I’ll give him credit for his play so far.  He’s been extremely physical, today he blew up Julian Howsare (FB) on a running play that you could hear on the sidelines.  Maybe he’ll be better this time around.

– A couple of lesser known players had some “splash” plays today.  Chris Harper (WR) had two circus catches, a 30+ yard one handed catch and a 20+ yard leaping sideline catch both from Bryce Petty.  Corey Lemonier (OLB) had a “sack” of Petty in team periods and during his reps showed good closing speed coming off the edge.

QB’s

The offense was more run oriented today so there wasn’t a ton of action.

– Josh McCown was probably the most effective QB.  A game manager type of practice with no INT’s.

– Bryce Petty also had no INT’s and Harper made him look good with those circus catches. But I think he’s the #3 QB at best and his reduction in reps reflects that.

– Christian Hackenberg for the first time didn’t progress, he threw an INT to Maye during the 1 on 1 period.  He also threw an INT to Dexter McDougle (a deflection as he tried to throw between two DB’s).  In his final team period reps he ended on a good note with two nice throws one to Quincy Enunwa and one to Austin Seferian-Jenkins.  Now that he’s hit a bump in the road let’s see how he recovers on Thursday.

Standouts

– Chris Harper
– Jamal Adams
– Marcus Maye

Concerns

– The blood pressure of John Morton & Dennard Wilson.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
jHqrkBfjlO4

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, Alka said:

KRL, I think you should consider doing this professionally.  I just recently discovered you, and I am now "hooked".

Agreed. The guy is a straight up pro.

The level of detail that goes into these reports means one thing, he doesn't take a play off. I am actually being serious. When you go to camp you see a ton of people not paying attention. You can't produce reports like this without being 100% locked on and taking notes. @KRL -- thank you!

Archived