Off Day Thoughts

KRL

Just now, T0mShane said:

I'm not being flip here, because I honestly haven't seen it: have any of Hackemberg's current teammates said anything positive about him? I know Marshall said some stuff after he was cut, but I haven't seen any current teammates (this year or last year) say anything affirming about him.

No idea. But I never put much stock in that. People talk up players all the time for different reasons. We had lots of players popping off at the mouth for Fitzy just last year.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Demario Davis is one of the most fascinating players in camp this year.

He was always billed as being more athletic than Harris, but in the end both were too slow to keep up with pass coverage responsibilities. Now there's a chance that the man who was too slow to play WILL might turn out to be just fast enough to be an effective modern MIKE. All this after the Jets let him go and traded for him. What an odd career he's having.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'm not being flip here, because I honestly haven't seen it: have any of Hackemberg's current teammates said anything positive about him? I know Marshall said some stuff after he was cut, but I haven't seen any current teammates (this year or last year) say anything affirming about him.

whats to say ?  he threw 7 nice passes in practice ?

you are really reaching today.

good

a bad day for you is a good day for the rest of us

9 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

No idea. But I never put much stock in that. People talk up players all the time for different reasons. We had lots of players popping off at the mouth for Fitzy just last year.

1 minute ago, Larz said:

whats to say ?  he threw 7 nice passes in practice ?

you are really reaching today.

good

a bad day for you is a good day for the rest of us

Yeah, I guess that's the point. Players fellate the QB in the press all the time, but we haven't seen anything about Hackenberg despite his Hall of Fame three practices. I only ask because if players are talking up Petty, it's because they personally like him. Opposite might be true of Hack, who comes off as a mewling naif.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I guess that's the point. Players fellate the QB in the press all the time, but we haven't seen anything about Hackenberg despite his Hall of Fame three practices. I only ask because if players are talking up Petty, it's because they personally like him. Opposite might be true of Hack, who comes off as a mewling naif.

He is definitely naif but I never heard him come off as mewling

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I am unreasonably fascinated by the suggestion that players on the team prefer Petty to both McCown and Hack. Petty was super-beloved at Baylor, where he played his senior year with a broken bone in his back and could barely move. He wasn't good in limited time last year, but he showed a lot of toughness (especially after getting crushed against the Dolphins and laughing it off. Not saying it's a big deal yet, but it's something to watch during the preseason, how the team responds when he's on the field vs how they play when Hack is out there.

I have a lot of time for Petty after last year. He gave it his 100% behind a poor line and a D that had quit. The guy has a lot of heart and guts, I can see why Baylor loved him. As a fan I'll back anyone who gives 100% regardless of ability. Don't think he'll win the starter spot but I do think he will have a career in this league.

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

that's it ?  that's the fastball today ?

lol

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Example #1:

Jets wideout Brandon Marshall spoke highly of Hackenberg in an interview with WFAN last week. Marshall  a six-time Pro Bowl selection  said he “loves” Hackenberg and his big arm.

Jets Wire published Marshall’s quotes on Hackenberg, including comparisons to some of the best quarterbacks in NFL history:

“I mean, from Day 1, (he’d say), ‘Brandon, hey, when are you watching film? I want to go sit in that room with you and watch film.’ That’s what I love about quarterbacks. That’s what I love, like the guys who have that Tom Brady, that Peyton Manning leadership quality, the guys that are gym rats — that’s Hackenberg.”

With the Jets moving on from quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, Hackenberg will have a chance to compete for the starting spot heading into next season. And the team’s top target thinks the former Nittany Lion has a shot.

“The kid has a chance,” Marshall added. “Obviously we know he has talent, he has an arm. If he continues to work, he’ll be alright.”

EXAMPLE #2:

Nick Mangold saw it all during his illustrious 11-year career with the Jets, and here are some of his opinions, observations and memories:

On Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty: “I think they both have great potential, and I think in the NFL, potential is one of the most dangerous words you can have, because it can go either way. But they both seem to have a good head on their shoulders, both seem willing to work at their craft and get better.

It’ll be interesting to see how they take in a new system and having a new offensive coordinator, how quickly they can process that information.”

On whether there is hope for either Hackenberg or Petty to emerge as a starter: “Oh definitely. I wouldn’t put ’em out to pasture yet. I think there’s plenty of time for them to learn, get better and take control of that offense. I think it’ll be fun to kind of sitting back and watching that battle play out.”

Example #3:

Ryan Fitzpatrick on ‘special’ Jets, Hackenberg and myth of being old

Q: Your mentoring of Christian Hackenberg has begun.
A: He’s a really bright kid. And I think something that really helped him, that he lucked out with, was he was able to learn under Bill O’Brien for a year in a pro system. And so, he’s a lot more advanced than most college kids in the way that he looks at the game because of his year with Bill. And you can tell right away in the meeting room that that’s true. Consistency’s gonna be a big thing for him. There’s times when he throws the ball where it’s like … perfection. And then the next throw will come out, and you’re wondering who he is. Consistency for him, finding that on a day-to-day basis, on a throw-to-throw basis is gonna be what’s either gonna make or break him.

Examples #4, #5, #6 & #7:

‘A cannon’: What Hackenberg’s Jets teammates say about him

When you ask Sheldon Richardson about the difference in Christian Hackenberg from a year ago, . . . . “He still needs to get past the learning curve. It’s still too fast for him. But other than that, man, he’s still got a cannon. He’s firing it. When he’s on point, he’s on point, but when he’s not, he’s not, so got some growing still.”

Hackenberg’s throwing motion appears noticeably smoother, but he still has yet to throw a regular-season pass in anger, and it remains true that Rome wasn’t built in a day.

“Quicker release,” cornerback Buster Skrine said. “Way quicker. He used to wind up a little bit, but now it’s just out, out.” He’s reading things a lot faster,” Skrine said.

Teammates can’t help but notice a change in Hackenberg’s body language. "He learned from a guy that was really smart in Fitz, and so I think he’s taken that confidence over into this aspect,” receiver Quincy Enunwa said. “He has the ability to get it deep, short …

Hackenberg is growing. Just not without the growing pains.

“He’s doing a lot better with his decisions and everything,” safety Rontez Miles said. “Looking forward to see how these guys do in the preseason … when it counts.”

And so on, but yeah . . . . no teammate - current or former -  is talking up Hackenberg.:rolleyes:

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Fair point.  But there were players that hated Rivers early on.  Now they love him. I remember teammates talking up Jamarcus Russell as the next great QB in camp too. I guess the point is that players are people idiots too

11 hours ago, KRL said:

- I don't want him to start, but as a team leader and someone who likes to
encourage and unite Josh McCown has been excellent.  Always upbeat and looking
to raise the level of practice for both sides of the ball

This is a very accurate point about McCown and one of the reasons hes been able to stick around so long.  In Tampa he was dreadful, but when they won a game midway through the year after he came back from injury you would have thought that this was like a lifelong dream come true to win a game for McCown the way the players spoke. They were genuinely happy that they were able to help him get a win. e was equally loved in Cleveland and Chicago. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I really think you should have a career in Sports Reporting KRL.  You do it well.

Agree. My gawd I just looked at the Post & DN for some Jets articles and nothing but trash from Costello and Myers. Pure trash. 

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Example #1:

Jets wideout Brandon Marshall spoke highly of Hackenberg in an interview with WFAN last week. Marshall  a six-time Pro Bowl selection  said he “loves” Hackenberg and his big arm.

Jets Wire published Marshall’s quotes on Hackenberg, including comparisons to some of the best quarterbacks in NFL history:

“I mean, from Day 1, (he’d say), ‘Brandon, hey, when are you watching film? I want to go sit in that room with you and watch film.’ That’s what I love about quarterbacks. That’s what I love, like the guys who have that Tom Brady, that Peyton Manning leadership quality, the guys that are gym rats — that’s Hackenberg.”

With the Jets moving on from quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, Hackenberg will have a chance to compete for the starting spot heading into next season. And the team’s top target thinks the former Nittany Lion has a shot.

“The kid has a chance,” Marshall added. “Obviously we know he has talent, he has an arm. If he continues to work, he’ll be alright.”

EXAMPLE #2:

Nick Mangold saw it all during his illustrious 11-year career with the Jets, and here are some of his opinions, observations and memories:

On Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty: “I think they both have great potential, and I think in the NFL, potential is one of the most dangerous words you can have, because it can go either way. But they both seem to have a good head on their shoulders, both seem willing to work at their craft and get better.

It’ll be interesting to see how they take in a new system and having a new offensive coordinator, how quickly they can process that information.”

On whether there is hope for either Hackenberg or Petty to emerge as a starter: “Oh definitely. I wouldn’t put ’em out to pasture yet. I think there’s plenty of time for them to learn, get better and take control of that offense. I think it’ll be fun to kind of sitting back and watching that battle play out.”

Example #3:

Ryan Fitzpatrick on ‘special’ Jets, Hackenberg and myth of being old

Q: Your mentoring of Christian Hackenberg has begun.
A: He’s a really bright kid. And I think something that really helped him, that he lucked out with, was he was able to learn under Bill O’Brien for a year in a pro system. And so, he’s a lot more advanced than most college kids in the way that he looks at the game because of his year with Bill. And you can tell right away in the meeting room that that’s true. Consistency’s gonna be a big thing for him. There’s times when he throws the ball where it’s like … perfection. And then the next throw will come out, and you’re wondering who he is. Consistency for him, finding that on a day-to-day basis, on a throw-to-throw basis is gonna be what’s either gonna make or break him.

Examples #4, #5, #6 & #7:

‘A cannon’: What Hackenberg’s Jets teammates say about him

When you ask Sheldon Richardson about the difference in Christian Hackenberg from a year ago, . . . . “He still needs to get past the learning curve. It’s still too fast for him. But other than that, man, he’s still got a cannon. He’s firing it. When he’s on point, he’s on point, but when he’s not, he’s not, so got some growing still.”

Hackenberg’s throwing motion appears noticeably smoother, but he still has yet to throw a regular-season pass in anger, and it remains true that Rome wasn’t built in a day.

“Quicker release,” cornerback Buster Skrine said. “Way quicker. He used to wind up a little bit, but now it’s just out, out.” He’s reading things a lot faster,” Skrine said.

Teammates can’t help but notice a change in Hackenberg’s body language. "He learned from a guy that was really smart in Fitz, and so I think he’s taken that confidence over into this aspect,” receiver Quincy Enunwa said. “He has the ability to get it deep, short …

Hackenberg is growing. Just not without the growing pains.

“He’s doing a lot better with his decisions and everything,” safety Rontez Miles said. “Looking forward to see how these guys do in the preseason … when it counts.”

And so on, but yeah . . . . no teammate - current or former -  is talking up Hackenberg.:rolleyes:

Other than Marshall, the rest of those comments were diplomatic ways of saying "eh."

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Other than Marshall, the rest of those comments were diplomatic ways of saying "eh."

Disagree.  Two most important things were Marshall noting Hack's film study habits, and Skrine saying the ball is coming out quicker this year which means things are probably slowing down a bit for him.

The rest...yeah.  

4 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Well this team has already quit on Bowles, so I'm not sure where they can even go from there. And starting a young QB is a challenge to any OL.  They know they have to play at a higher level to overcome mistakes at the QB position.  Offering them McCown is telling them it's ok to just throw in the towel and mail it in all season. You think those players don't know EXACTLY what kind of season they are in for with McCown under center?  That has a way worse effect on morale than anything else imo.  At least with a young arm you are working towards something.  With a hold the fort QB, you know you are just punting the season before it even starts and making zero traction towards a brighter future.

They've already quit on Bowles, etc?

Does it get any worse than this post?

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Do you actually follow this team?  

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

This is one of those comments that have been made about every HC we've had since the dawn of the internet.  When has Bowles refused to make changes?  When he left Fitz in for a game or two too long?  With Geno & Petty as his only real options?  Which position players hasnt he moved, changed approaches with where you can point to a change should have been made.  Its one of those blanket statements that doesnt take into account every HC will go with the guy who has proven hes capable over an unknown at least for a little bit of time

Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, Wilk (when hurt, and last year should have been sat for Shelly at least for a while, or at least rotated), Breno, Davis, Pace, Cumberland and Gilchrist off the top of my head

45 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, Wilk (when hurt, and last year should have been sat for Shelly at least for a while, or at least rotated), Breno, Davis, Pace, Cumberland and Gilchrist off the top of my head

Yeah?  Who did they play over?  Revis and Skrine playing in a secondary ripped by injury?  Wilk on one leg?  Who did you want to start over Breno?  Pace was cut.  Gilchrist played well, no one on the bench was better.  Have to think these things through and not make blanket statements not by fact.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Do you actually follow this team?  

Oh sure, Richard Sherman has some really important insight into things

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah?  Who did they play over?  Revis and Skrine playing in a secondary ripped by injury?  Wilk on one leg?  Who did you want to start over Breno?  Pace was cut.  Gilchrist played well, no one on the bench was better.  Have to think these things through and not make blanket statements not by fact.

Pace was cut by Mac so Bowles wouldn't keep sending him out there. I'm talking about 2015, and 16 here.

How do you know no one would have been better? When things aren't working you need to try something else, and Bowles is not doing that with Vets.

Gilchrist did not play well. 

You sound just like Bowles when you ask who they should play over Breno. It's not working so you can either stick with what you have or try and play an unknown who may or may not surprise/improve with playing time. At the very least we find out what a player has, or doesn't have.

"He gives us the best chance to win" is Bowles motto. This is a rebuilding team, and that motto makes absolutely no sense in our situation.

Why are we playing Wilk on one leg when we have a healthy Sheldon playing LB? Bowles killed Shelly's value (In addition to the harm he self inflicted) so badly that we couldn't get a 2nd round pick for him.

4 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Pace was cut by Mac so Bowles wouldn't keep sending him out there. I'm talking about 2015, and 16 here.

How do you know no one would have been better? When things aren't working you need to try something else, and Bowles is not doing that with Vets.

Gilchrist did not play well. 

You sound just like Bowles when you ask who they should play over Breno. It's not working so you can either stick with what you have or try and play an unknown who may or may not surprise/improve with playing time. At the very least we find out what a player has, or doesn't have.

"He gives us the best chance to win" is Bowles motto. This is a rebuilding team, and that motto makes absolutely no sense in our situation.

Why are we playing Wilk on one leg when we have a healthy Sheldon playing LB? Bowles killed Shelly's value (In addition to the harm he self inflicted) so badly that we couldn't get a 2nd round pick for him.

When you start defending the idea that Bowles wont replace a player by saying Macc cut him to undermine his HC we're over.  You have it in your head and will spin nonsense to make it fit 

Archived