Richard Sherman has thoughts on the Jets QB situation

T0mShane

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

And my frustration is more the backlash he got for quietly taking a knee then the fact that he's not signed.  As Shane said, I think that the socks may be a tough obstacle.  At the same time, I recognize the frustration that led to the socks, even if I don't think it was a wise choice.

I believe there are far better, less "look at me", ways to try to make a change in this world, but as much as I despise his socks, I believe wholeheartedly in freedom of speech, and recognize its necessity in our countries history, present and hopefully future. However, I don't believe he had the right to use the NFL or the 49'ers as a platform to spread his political views. Had he done it on his own platform, I would be much more sympathetic to the criticisms that teams were getting for not signing him. He made a conscious decision to use the NFL as his platform.

I also think people are arguing semantics a bit when they say teams not signing him, are not basing it on football reasons. If he were good enough to justify the baggage, he would have been signed. If he had no baggage, he would have been signed. Its the combo that has him not signed, not solely the baggage. That has been proven throughout the NFL's history, from Vick, to Terrell Owens. TO was still a viable WR in the NFL when he could not get signed, teams just didn't think he was good enough to justify the baggage.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Money is certainly a factor, or at least was since this whole thing has gone nuclear with ESPN and Twitter. Kapernick restructured his contract once he got the starting job back last year so he could opt out. He was due 14 mill guaranteed prior to restructuring. Generally guys dont opt out for less money. He overplayed his hand...and really isnt very good either. No one knows what he's looking for contract wise bc he never talks, but he'd have a lot of egg on his face taking the league minimum when he had 14 mill guaranteed for just showing up.

I think if it was money related, a team like Seattle would have leaked that by now. They'd get credit for trying to give him a shot without actually having to do it

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think if it was money related, a team like Seattle would have leaked that by now. They'd get credit for trying to give him a shot without actually having to do it

Didnt Seattle leak they felt he was a starter? The way I took that was he wanted more money.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Didnt Seattle leak they felt he was a starter? The way I took that was he wanted more money.

I thought Seattle said they thought he was a starter. I am not sure why Kaep would have wasted his time meeting with Seattle if he wanted to be their starter, he is not THAT dumb, is he? They have a guy named Russell Wilson over there.

Just now, NoBowles said:

I thought Seattle said they thought he was a starter. I am not sure why Kaep would have wasted his time meeting with Seattle if he wanted to be their starter, he is not THAT dumb, is he? They have a guy named Russell Wilson over there.

Well he did turn down 14 million guaranteed after 2 years of bottom barrel play.

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

I don't have links - nor the time to look for them.  However, I will say this - If Kaepernick is only willing to go to places for starter money and the starting job, then I agree I that there are significant football reasons for his unemployment.  Just as there are for Jay Cutler's.

I think Kaepernick might be legally incompetent at this point he either is mentally ill or very low iq due to CTE

Archived